The noble Art - Embuggerance.

(10-29-2018, 10:48 AM)Peetwo Wrote:  The not so noble Art of embuggerance - Part II Dodgy

In a prelude to tonight's ABC 730 program:

Quote:Dying pilot tries to clear his name after fatal plane crash

By Adele Ferguson and Chris Gillett

VIDEO: https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-10-29/t...d/10439320

The owner of an aviation company involved in a plane crash that killed one passenger and injured three others has raised questions about evidence used by the Civil Aviation Safety Authority (CASA) to investigate him, his company and the pilot flying the plane.

Bruce Rhoades, who is dying of cancer, agreed to share new information with Fairfax and 7.30 in an attempt to try to clear his name — and the name of the pilot who flew the plane — before he dies.

Mr Rhoades questioned the evidence that CASA relied on to cancel his licence and the licence of Les Woodall, who was flying the plane that crashed.

'Both Les and I have been grossly abused by CASA'

[Image: 10404694-3x2-700x467.jpg]

PHOTO: The twisted wreckage of the plane on the beach near Middle Island. (Supplied: Air Transport Safety Bureau)

A 29-year-old British backpacker died and Mr Woodall and two other passengers were seriously injured when the Cessna 172 crashed near Queensland's Middle Island.

Vision, which has never been seen publicly and obtained by the media,
captures the flight and the final moments before and after the plane crashed on January 10, 2017.

The crash sparked an immediate investigation by the transport safety investigator, the Australian Transport Safety Bureau (ATSB), which is yet to make a determination on why the plane crashed.

Queensland Police is also investigating the crash and there will be a coronial inquiry, expected to be held in the first quarter of next year.

CASA, the body that licences pilots and oversees safety, raised a few eyebrows when it launched its own investigation into the crash and released its findings — just 17 days after the crash.

CASA defended this action, saying the safety interests of the public were at the forefront of CASA's decision making.

"I am very bitter about this," Mr Rhoades said.

"I feel that both Les and I have been grossly abused by CASA."

[Image: 10403630-1x1-340x340.jpg]

PHOTO: Fuel collected in a used Coca-Cola bottle and presented as evidence by CASA. (Supplied)

CASA accused Mr Rhoades's company, Wyndham Aviation, of being "a serious and imminent risk to air safety".

It claimed the plane exceeded its maximum take-off weight but a load and balance sheet for the flight shows it was 15 kilograms below the maximum take-off weight.

CASA said passengers were not weighed prior to the flight, but the pilots disagree.

CASA also said the fuel was contaminated, based on a sample collected in a used Coca-Cola bottle days after the accident.

And it determined that the pilot should have tried to land the plane in water, not on the beach, a move a number of aviation experts, contacted and shown the video, said could have been more dangerous.

After watching the video, former CASA employee Kenneth Pratt, who worked as an airworthiness inspector for 20 years before retiring in 2008, said landing in the water could have been even more disastrous.

"I don't imagine that the passengers have vests or life preservers on so there would have been a potential for them to drown in an accident like that," he said.

Mr Pratt said if the water was more than "four, five, six feet deep, the wheels would have dug in and the thing probably would have flipped which means it would have been upside down in the water".

[Image: 10403814-3x2-700x467.jpg]

PHOTO: Bruce Rhoades when he was flying for Wyndham Aviation. (Supplied: Bruce Rhoades)

Mr Rhoades, who was flying behind the plane that crashed, was on the scene within minutes and said the water was more than 1 metre deep.

He said from engine failure to the crash was 27 seconds.

Mr Rhoades believes Mr Woodall deserves credit for the fact that more lives were not lost.

"From 180 feet, with a failed engine, choices are very limited," he said.

"[Woodall] made a choice and saved three lives in 27 seconds."

CASA alleged that the plane was flying too low, which "significantly and unnecessarily raised the level of risk associated with the flight because it meant that, in the event of an unanticipated in-flight upset (such as an engine failure) he would have only minimal altitude, and therefore time, to safely manage the upset".

[Image: 10403636-3x2-340x227.jpg]

PHOTO: Les Woodall in hospital recovering after the crash. (Supplied: Bruce Rhoades)

However, Mr Woodall said he was inspecting the beach for debris prior to landing, something the company had CASA approval to do.

Mr Woodall planned to use this evidence, and more, to appeal against the cancellation of his pilot's licence in the Administrative Appeals Tribunal.

But in August, CASA offered him a confidential settlement if he dropped the legal action.

Fairfax and 7.30 understands the settlement did not require any admissions of wrongdoing or negligence.

And it allowed Mr Woodall to reapply for his pilot's licence.

The settlement was made before the police, a coronial inquiry, or the official investigator, the ATSB, has finished their investigations into the accident.

Doing CPR on dead girl 'haunts me'

[Image: 8173442-3x2-700x467.jpg]

PHOTO: The badly damaged plane on the beach. (Supplied: Lifeflight)

Mr Rhoades, who has been given just weeks to live after being diagnosed with an aggressive cancer in the brain, said his life fell apart after the crash.

"The flashes I get the most, and I guess the thing that disturbs me the most, is doing CPR on that girl for so long," he said.

"That, I guess, is the thing that comes back, if you like, to haunt me."

When CASA cancelled his licence, it not only financially ruined him but destroyed his reputation as well.

Mr Rhoades has been flying for decades. He set up the company in 2008, and said over the years about 30,000 people had taken his chartered flights.

He said in the early days he clashed with CASA, which did not like his adrenalin flights.

More than a decade ago, in 2007, when Mr Rhoades worked for another company, CASA grounded him which resulted in him pleading guilty in the Magistrates Court to four charges.

He was directed to undertake theory and flight examinations to demonstrate that he had the necessary knowledge and skill to continue to hold those licences.

He pleaded guilty to administrative issues with his pilot's log book and maintenance sheets. He also pleaded guilty to a charge of unauthorised commercial operations.

Mr Rhoades said he did charter flights but the company he worked for did not have a charter licence, something Mr Rhoades said he did not know and rectified once alerted.

He also let a tourist get a photo touching the controls mid-flight, which is not allowed.

He said he never did it again and has had a clean slate up until the 2017 plane crash.

The pilot who crashed, Les Woodall, had no incidents and a clean record.

Mr Rhoades said passengers enjoyed "rock and roll flights" but they weren't aerobatic and before each flight passengers were asked to fill in a form if they wanted a flight which included a demonstration of a light aircraft's ability within "normal" procedures.

Passengers signed the form on January 10, before setting off.

'I thought I'd lost my son'

[Image: 10403634-3x2-700x467.jpg]
PHOTO: Jason Lonnon's son was injured in the crash. (ABC News: Craig Berkman)

The ATSB released an interim report into the crash in March 2017, but it did not conclusively say what caused the accident.

It is up to the coroner to examine all the evidence and determine the cause of death and make any safety recommendations.

But Mr Rhoades believes there is one lesson CASA could take from his company's accident.

"The passengers on the back of the aircraft were far more severely injured because they did not have over shoulder seat-belting in the back of the aircraft," he said.

"If they mandate that all of those older aircraft all be fitted with that over shoulder seatbelt immediately ... they've not done that."

Families of the passengers on the flight were contacted for comment.

Only the father of a 13-year-old boy who survived the flight agreed to speak.

He is still suffering trauma.

"I thought I'd lost my son," Jason Lonnon said.

"It still amazes me today that he's still alive and walking."

Mr Lonnon was on the second plane that landed minutes after the crash.
"It was a mess," he said.

Quote:
"It was like it had been chewed up by a dinosaur and spat out."

Mr Rhoades said he decided to speak out because he is determined to restore his and Mr Woodall's reputations, and ensure the truth of what happened is known.

"There's Woody [Les Woodall] and myself being able to hold our heads up amongst our peer group in our own industry," he said.

"The second reason is that the family of the dead girl in particular ... I want to make sure that they know the truth.

"And a third reason, I just can not allow this culture of CASA to go on, without speaking up very, very loudly against it."

Watch the story 7.30 tonight on ABCTV and iview.

Video segment:

Quote:https://www.abc.net.au/7.30/dying-pilot-...l/10444124

7.30 Report

Dying pilot tries to clear his name after fatal plane crash
Posted Mon 29 Oct 2018, 9:14pm

Updated Tue 30 Oct 2018, 6:37am
Expires: Wednesday 29 April 2020 9:14pm
us

The owner of an aviation company involved in a plane crash that killed one passenger and injured three others has raised questions about evidence used by the Civil Aviation Safety Authority (CASA) to investigate him, his company and the pilot flying the plane.

Transcript:

Quote:ADELE FERGUSON, REPORTER: It's 10:30 am on January 10, 2017.
European tourists seeking an adventure, are on their way to a remote beach off the coast of Queensland.

Les Woodall, an experienced pilot is flying this Cessna 172.

Everything seems fine. Three passengers are sitting inside the light plane.

The youngest a 13-year-old local boy. Like most teenagers, he's busily filming on his phone.

BRUCE RHOADES, FORMER OWNER, WYNDHAM AVIATION: It was a pretty nice sunny day with a bit of cumulus cloud in the sky.

ADELE FERGUSON: Their destination is Middle Island. It's a short 22 km trip.
Those on board sign a form requesting a rock'n'roll flight to add to the thrill.
Bruce Rhoades, owner of the Adventure Tour company Wyndham Aviation is flying behind them in a second light plane.

BRUCE RHOADES: Les would always go first and that aircraft flew just a little bit faster and that meant he was going to get to the beach before me. He went down to carry out his inspection and I didn't hear another word from the radio from that moment on from him.

ADELE FERGUSON: Queensland local Jason Lonnon was sitting next to Bruce. His son is a passenger in the first plane. He's the one filming the flight.

JASON LONNON, WITNESS: We weren't far behind them. They were just turning around at the point near the campsite getting ready to land and then the plane actually disappeared out of view.

BRUCE RHOADES : I was about three nautical mile behind at that stage. He was doing his descent. He carried out his search and then he disappeared behind a sand dune, which from where I was looking at was quite odd because normally he would continue straight ahead and climb out, in order to do the turn around and he should have made a radio call to me to tell me the condition of the beach and how he was going to do his approach.

ADELE FERGUSON: Seven minutes and 45 seconds into the flight something is wrong.

JASON LONNON: I didn't expect anyone to be alive.

ADELE FERGUSON: The second plane lands and everyone rushes to assist at the crash site.

JASON LONNON: I just yelled out my son's name and he responded. That was a big sigh of relief. We couldn't actually see inside the plane, it was wrecked that bad. It looked like it had been chewed up by a dinosaur and spat out.

There was fuel dripping. We were trying to gather up as much fuel as we could too. It was like in the movies almost, with the fuel running down.

I crawled into the wreck to get to me son. He was hanging upside down with his seatbelt still on.

I had to get a knife to cut him down and drag him out.

He was in a lot better condition than the other passengers on the plane.

ADELE FERGUSON: Vision from the rescue helicopter shows Bruce helping to move passengers. In the wreckage, a 29-year-old UK backpacker is killed.

The three survivors are injured, two seriously.

Do you ever get flashes?

BRUCE RHOADES: The flashes I get the most and I guess the thing that disturbs me the most is doing CPR on that girl for so long and that I guess is the thing that comes back, if you like, to haunt me.

ADELE FERGUSON: The crash sparks an immediate investigation by the Transport Safety Investigator known as the ATSB, but it is CASA, the body who licences pilots and overseas safety that strikes first.

It gathers its own evidence, suspends and cancels the company's licence 17 days after the crash and one day after another light plane, owned by a different company, crashed in Perth.

You ended up getting told that you were negligent in effect by CASA just a few weeks later?

BRUCE RHOADES: In many, many ways, yes.

ADELE FERGUSON: CASA says the plane should have landed in the water, but some aviation experts, including a former CASA worker, said if the Cessna landed in the sea it could have flipped upside down and sunk.

JASON LONNON: Those planes are extremely difficult to get in and out of at any given time, you know.

BRUCE RHOADES: If an aircraft lands with wheels down in the water, it somersaults.

ADELE FERGUSON: So, what would have happened?

BRUCE RHOADES: Then the aircraft would have inverted probably sinking those first because that is where the weight of the engine is. They all would have drowned.

ADELE FERGUSON: Bruce Rhoades doesn't fly anymore. CASA called the company a "serious and imminent risk to air safety" and cancelled his licence, a move that he says cost him his business and reputation as a 40-year veteran of flying.

Les Woodall, known as Woody, lost his licence, too. Now Bruce is running out of time to try and clear his name. He is dying of cancer and has weeks to live.
Why does it mean so much to you to speak up?

BRUCE RHOADES: I guess, if you like, there is Woody and myself being able to hold our heads up amongst our peer group and own industry and the second reason is that the family of the dead girl, in particular, I want to make sure that they know the truth and a third reason I just cannot allow this culture of CASA to go on without speaking out very, very loudly against it.

ADELE FERGUSON: Bruce has been flying for decades. He bought Wyndham Aviation in 2008, a business that flies adventure seekers and backpackers to untouched beaches. He says about 30,000 people have taken his chartered flights.

Bruce claims CASA didn't like his adventure rock'n'roll flights, but never stopped them.

They were never kept hidden as this YouTube video shows.
(LAUGHTER)

More than a decade ago when Bruce worked for another company, CASA grounded him and he pleaded guilty in the Magistrates' Court to four charges.
There were issues with his pilot's log book and maintenance sheets and he did charter flights without the correct licence.

Bruce also let a tourist get a photo touching the controls. But the pilot who crashed Les Woodall had no incidents and a clean record.
They essentially called you cowboys.

BRUCE RHOADES: Very much so, Yes.

And, certainly in our promotion, we tried to display the image, if you will, of the fun Australian, but certainly nothing dangerous and CASA were well aware of our activities.

ADELE FERGUSON: Bruce believes that CASA could have learned a lesson from his company's accident.

DAVID RHOADES: The passengers in the back of the aircraft were far more severely injured because they did not have over shoulder seat belting in the back of the aircraft, which were not required in those slightly older model aircraft. This aircraft was about a '76 model, I believe. Had they consulted with me, which they had never done, I would have recommended immediately that they man date all of the older aircraft, all be fitted with that over shoulder seatbelt immediately or within six months or a reasonable time interval.
They have not done that. They don't have the authority to investigate.
The ATSB do that.

ADELE FERGUSON: Evidence has emerged which raises questions about CASA and the crash. CASA says the plane was overloaded and there were four backpacks, each weighing exactly 5 kg. There is only evidence of two backpacks and they are underweight.

CASA claims the fuel was contaminated, yet evidence shows it was collected in a used Coca-Cola bottle found on the beach days later.

Say they that the plane was too low. Woodall claims he was inspecting the beach for debris prior to landing, something the company had approval from CASA to do.

Woodall planned to use this evidence to appeal the cancellation of his pilot's license, but in August CASA offered Woodall a confidential settlement if he dropped the legal action.

7.30 understands that the settlement didn't require any additions of wrong-doing or negligence and he could reapply for a pilot's licence.

The settlement was made before the police, a coronial inquiry or the ATSB had finished their investigations into the accident.

Kenneth "Ozzie" Pratt worked for CASA for 20 years as an airworthiness inspector. He retired in 2008.

KENNETH PRATT, FORMER CASA EMPLOYEE: He didn't do anything I consider aerobatic. He was doing slight, bumps, where he would pull the stick back. That is not aerobatics, but it is not going to hurt the aircraft.

ADELE FERGUSON: CASA declined to be interviewed on camera. In a statement, it said unauthorised
aerobatic manoeuvres were done by both pilots. Any issues with the collection of evidence was a matter for attending police.

They also said passengers were not asked for their weight prior to the flight. The pilots disagree.

VOICEOVER: CASA actively and continuously monitors the safety performance of Australian aviation to identify emerging risks or issues that should be addressed.

ADELE FERGUSON: It's been one year and nine months since the crash.
The Australian Transport Safety Bureau is still investigating.
So are the Queensland Police.

The ATSB released an interim report in March 2017, but it didn't conclusively say what caused the accident.  But, at the end of the day, it will be up to the Coroner to examine all the evidence in detail and determine the cause of death and make any safety recommendations.

Meanwhile, the families are still waiting for answers.

JASON LONNON: Every time I hear one of them planes flying around, it just reminds me of that day. It is stuck with me for life, I am sure of that.

CASA response to 730 questions pg 1 to 5:

Quote:[Image: DquVWt0UUAAqEs0.jpg]
[Image: DquVd4gVYAEdPjW.jpg]
[Image: DquVjrAVAAIL5mZ.jpg]
[Image: DquVrOxUwAI8q4h.jpg]
[Image: DquVwxKUUAEp6X1.jpg]

And Carmody reckons the Big R-regulator has changed it's spots - yeah and pigs might fly... Dodgy  

MTF...P2  Cool

Messages In This Thread
The noble Art - Embuggerance. - by Kharon - 04-10-2015, 11:51 AM
RE: The noble Art - Embuggerance. - by Peetwo - 05-14-2015, 10:29 AM
RE: The noble Art - Embuggerance. - by Peetwo - 05-21-2015, 08:41 AM
RE: The noble Art - Embuggerance. - by Gobbledock - 05-21-2015, 11:27 AM
RE: The noble Art - Embuggerance. - by Kharon - 05-21-2015, 12:33 PM
Civil obedience vs civil disobedience. Have we discovered root cause? - by Gobbledock - 05-21-2015, 09:59 PM
RE: The noble Art - Embuggerance. - by Peetwo - 06-01-2015, 03:43 PM
RE: The noble Art - Embuggerance. - by Peetwo - 06-02-2015, 11:02 AM
RE: The noble Art - Embuggerance. - by Peetwo - 08-12-2015, 06:55 PM
RE: The noble Art - Embuggerance. - by Gobbledock - 08-12-2015, 09:52 PM
RE: The noble Art - Embuggerance. - by Kharon - 08-13-2015, 06:43 AM
RE: The noble Art - Embuggerance. - by Peetwo - 08-15-2015, 10:56 AM
RE: The noble Art - Embuggerance. - by Peetwo - 08-17-2015, 11:34 AM
RE: The noble Art - Embuggerance. - by Kharon - 08-17-2015, 02:43 PM
RE: The noble Art - Embuggerance. - by Peetwo - 09-22-2015, 01:30 PM
RE: The noble Art - Embuggerance. - by Gobbledock - 09-22-2015, 08:18 PM
RE: The noble Art - Embuggerance. - by Ziggy - 09-22-2015, 09:00 PM
RE: The noble Art - Embuggerance. - by Ziggy - 09-22-2015, 09:05 PM