Alphabet if’s and but's.

RSRT repeal Bill - Lesson's to be learnt Angry

Last night in the Senate at 21:41 the RSRT repeal bill was voted in the affirmative (see HERE ), could this be the defining moment for Barnaby Joyce & Malcolm Turnbull to re-discover their mojo, just in time for the now inevitable July 02 DD election?

Senator Williams contribution to the debate last night, just prior to the vote, shows how divisive this repeal legislation was:

&..

Also read the passionate adjournment speech from Senator Back: Transport Industry

Quote:..We have a circumstance with log books: this morning when I jumped in the truck at half past five, quarter to six, the fellow spent the first five minutes filling in bits of paper on a spreadsheet. I said, 'What are you doing'? He said, 'That is my log book.' He tried to tell me what he was doing; he was trying to explain. I said, 'And why isn't all this being done electronically?' We know when we go to a restaurant now the attendant takes our order on a small laptop or an iPad. Why in heaven's name are we using something as antiquated as an old pen and paper system with logbooks?

We do not want drivers driving when they are too tired. I speak as a fleet owner when I had a fuel industry business in Tasmania. I brought the first fuel industry B-double—a 60,000 litre B-double, rigid and quad dog combination—into that state. How interested do you think I was in safety? How interested do you think I was to make sure that my trucks, my drivers, my maintenance, my tyres were at the absolute highest level? That is what the industry wants and that is the direction in which we need to be going...

And Robert Gottliebsen in the Oz today provides a media timeline of the RSRT abolishment & highlights how this could (& should) be a turning point in the election: Truckies saved after Turnbull remembers how business works  

Quote:Such is the power of digital journalism that sometimes a headline can change a nation. And so it was that on Monday, April 11 Paul Pennay attached the heading Malcolm Turnbull has forgotten how business works on to my Business Spectator commentary about the government’s (then) disastrous approach to the Road Safety Remuneration Tribunal and now it appears that it has helped save the livelihood of some 35,000 owner truck drivers.

I would not have known of the impact on the government of that headline, and the commentary that supported it, had not a senior member of the cabinet come up to me at a large corporate function. He told me that the commentary had alerted the cabinet, which then changed its stance on abolishing the tribunal.

In less than two short months the Owner/Driver Truckies have been able to breakdown the transport safety mystique and subsequently save their industry sector from oblivion. Yet after many years of struggling against the bureaucratic impost of ridiculous, unworkable, overregulation, the GA industry is still unable to get the message across how dire their situation is.

Moral of the story: Industry needs to be unified; industry needs to keep the message simple; and industry needs to have a solution that is easily legislated; i.e. amend the Civil Aviation Act to have CASA 'foster & promote' industry and for God's sake get rid of the "S" - Dodgy 

MTF...P2 Tongue    

TAAAF Aviation Policy - 2016

Courtesy KC & the AMROBA Band.. Wink
Quote: 
1. TAAAF Policy Document Released – 2016.

The Australian Aviation Associations Forum have released its policy document with fully costed savings and recommendations that government should take into consideration now and post-election. 2016 is make or break for general aviation and these policies support a future GA. Link: TAAAF Policy Document 2016
Aviation Policy Highlights:
Quote:Key Policy Priorities

1. A National Aviation Strategy in partnership with industry with a focus on safety, job creation, and growth.

2. Modernisation of the Civil Aviation Act and alignment to international standards.

3. Sale of Airservices and creation of an Aviation Future Fund

4. Urgent policy action on aviation education and training

5. New approaches to general aviation, manufacturing, security and regional aviation

&..PART 2 The Australian Aviation Challenge:
Quote:1. The Aviation Contribution To The Australian Economy

The aviation sector is a significant contributor to the Australian economy contributing in excess of $30 billion per annum (2% of annual GDP) and employing in excess of 250,000 people (directly by airlines, airports and indirectly by the industry value chain).

By 2030 Australia’s population is set to increase to 30 million people (up by 6 million people on today) and as a consequence the size of our major and regional centers will continue to grow, particularly within corridor areas between the major capital cities.

This will create further significant demand for air travel and put pressure on infrastructure. Additionally, as the migrant population increases and general wealth and accessibility to air travel improves, particularly in China and India, ever-increasing numbers of international visits will occur.

While domestic aviation activity has been relatively flat over the last few years, international traffic into the major capital cities of Melbourne, Sydney and Brisbane has been growing at a rate of more than 5% per annum.

Non-passenger carrying operations provide community and business services including freight, ambulance and rescue, agricultural, firefighting and survey operations that make a significant - sometimes critical - economic contribution. In addition, sectors including aviation manufacturing, training, maintenance and overhaul demand urgent action to remove impediments to growth.

The Forum believes that Government implementation of Forum policies will provide a significant stimulus to the aviation economy, create jobs across the nation and empower industry to take advantage of significant projected growth.

2. Global Growth

Globally, aviation is forecast to continue to grow at over 4% each year for the next 20 years with passenger numbers more than doubling to reach 7.3 billion by 2034.

Deliveries of new commercial aircraft over this period are anticipated to be over 38,000 which, together with replacement of older aircraft, will double the present global fleet to 43,500 aircraft. The Asia Pacific is now the world’s largest aviation market and over 40% of these deliveries are to airlines that operate in this region. (Reference: Boeing Current Market Outlook 2015-2034).

The demand for air travel will continue to put pressure on our aviation system that at times is already capacity-constrained.

Substantial investment will be required to ensure sufficient capacity is available to meet this demand. This additional capacity will be in airport and air traffic infrastructure ($16 billion already forecast by airports), the training of thousands of aircrew, air traffic controllers, airport staff and the expansion of businesses that service this industry.

3. Twin Aviation Challenges For Australia

Essentially, Australia has two aviation challenges.

First is the need to ensure the foundations are sound: that our regulatory and policy environment is conducive to growth and there is sufficient capacity in terms of trained people and modern infrastructure to meet forecast demand and thereby maximise the efficiency of our aviation system.

Secondly, our country has the opportunity to build on our expertise to provide a range of services to the burgeoning aviation sector in the Asia Pacific. Australia should be an important regional leader in key aspects of aviation such as flight training, maintenance, air traffic management, security and regulatory controls, technology, avionics and manufacturing of small to medium aircraft and components.

In order to position the country for this future Australia needs to address these challenges, plan for the future and fix long-running issues in our regulatory and government structures that are holding us back. 
MTF...P2 Tongue

TAAAF Aviation Policy - 2016.

The statement is very well done and well worth the reading.  Any government serious about keeping aviation – all aviation – alive and well for future generations should pay the TAAAF statement a little more than lip service and most definitely not send it off to the ‘department’ for, ahem; consideration.  The only consideration it will get there will be deciding whether it can go through the shredder in one lump, or two.

TAAAF once again provide proof positive and beyond any reasonable doubt that the ‘expertise’ required to make aviation productive resides with industry.  The agencies ASA, ATSB and CASA have, consistently, over the past decades become an expensive incubus and a dangerous one.  Here again, the evidence is incontrovertible: commission after commission; inquiry after inquiry; white paper after white paper, report after report, review after review have wasted millions and achieved nothing.  Well, nothing except a DPM fighting to be re elected needing to take time out to face a cynical, unhappy audience of aviation folk.

Some say there are no votes in aviation; the same folk said the same  about the truck driving crew.  Problem is on average everyone in the industry knows other folk.  Now if Uncle Bill’s workshop or brother Pete’s job or the airport café is going to suffer badly through government non intervention; those folk will talk to other folk and so on.  If the election is going to be ‘tight’ every one of those folk’s votes, including the aviation folk, becomes important.  A wise PM would do well to have a chat with the Senate Standing Committee if confirmation of just how much trouble the industry is in and why, is needed (not the department, the Senators).  They know; clever folks who have consistently tried to keep our ‘safety’ watchdogs and services honest.

Anyway, I digress.  Well done TAAAF, bravo.  There is 30 minute window for ‘closed’ discussion available on May 6, 1400 hrs at Tamworth, the DPM will be there.  I know many would like to see the TAAAF strongly represented.  Personally I would like to see the ‘new’ AOPA aligned to and working with TAAAF.  Eureka is a good, honest start to AOPA regaining it’s standing and independence.  

Aye well; I can still live in hope of a united industry, can’t I?

Toot toot.

Latest from Ben Morgan & the Aviation Advertiser -
Wink

Quote:[Image: e642fa79ed379e14ac0bce88d7402d591a7d5b2a]

INDUSTRY RALLY
TAMWORTH AIRPORT
[Image: 6e445b5ef6985cf212c4f458ecfe2a4cf2648485]
1pm - Friday, 6th May 2016
Hangar 6 - Tamworth Regional Airport, NSW, Australia.
To the Australian Aviation Industry,

YOUR INDUSTRY NEEDS YOUR SUPPORT - 6th MAY 2016

I am calling on the support of all pilots, aircraft owners, aviation business owners and operators to attend our industry rally in Tamworth, on Friday 6th May 2016.

This is your opportunity to be seen and to be heard!

The industry’s leading associations, peak-bodies and aviation personalities, will be in attendance.  All standing with the pilots, aircraft owners, aviation businesses and operators of our industry - united in the call for change.  

We are calling on the government take immediate measures to end the regulatory nightmare that has destroyed our charter, flight training and maintenance industries.  Made Australia uncompetitive on the global aviation stage.  Eroded essential air services connecting regional Australia, disconnecting townships and isolating communities.  

A regulatory nightmare that has forced an entire industry into collapse and thousands of hard working men and women into bankruptcy.

In attendance, representing the government will be;

The Deputy Prime Minister, the Hon Barnaby Joyce
The Department of Infrastructure and Transport, the Hon Darren Chester
The Chairman of the Board, Civil Aviation Safety Authority, Mr Jeff Boyd.  

For too long, the Australian aviation industry has been disenfranchised the right to economic prosperity through failed policy and excess regulation and compliance costs.  We are an industry failed by political rhetoric and empty promises by the Labor, Liberal and The Nationals alike.

Our industry has been pushed to the wall, lives destroyed, families broken, retirements ruined and homes lost.

A prosperous future for aviation in this country can only be assured through a regulatory framework that is balanced, fair and representative of the needs and aspirations of industry itself.  Most importantly, it must be accountable to industry, the people it is there to serve.

I am calling on each and every aviation participant that cares for this industry to show their support and attend.  We can no longer afford to sit back and watch the destruction of our industry.  Stand with us as we call on government to take action.

Help send Canberra a clear message

Show your support.  Fly in or drive in.  Contact your aviation networks, email, sms, phone.  Lets send the government a clear message, that enough is enough.

Thank you for your support, and I look forward to seeing you all at the event.

Best regards,

BENJAMIN MORGAN
Chief Executive - Aviation Advertiser Digital Group

Telephone: (02) 8215 6292
Mobile: 0415 577 724
Email: bmorgan@aviationadvertiser.com.au 

Mailing Address:
PO BOX 465
Edgecliff NSW 2027
Australia.[Image: 6e445b5ef6985cf212c4f458ecfe2a4cf2648485]
RALLY COMMENCES AT 1PM, 6TH MAY 2016
HANGAR 6, TAMWORTH AIRPORT

EVENT SCHEDULE

1pm - Arrival

1pm-2pm - FREE BBQ lunch and drinks - Sponsored by Aviation Advertiser & AOPA

2pm - Government representatives arrive

2pm-2:30pm - Closed door meeting between Government and Industry Associations

2:30pm-3pm - Short presentation to rally from industry representatives

2:30pm-4pm - Open Q&A between rally attendees and government

4pm-6pm - Tamworth AeroClub Post Event Drinks
[/b]
Copyright © 2016 www.aviationadvertiser.com.au  All rights reserved.

Aviation Advertiser Digital Pty Ltd - Trading As: www.aviationadvertiser.com.au - ABN 69 166 878 360

[b]Email:
 advertise@aviationadvertiser.com.au

[Image: 36e627fb5cf8ece7065e2043ff5fda94c21f46d7]

[/b]
[Image: 298f0f65ed8dc87f604f263ce91574b3f091ec80] 

[b]Unsubscribe Instantly  |  Update Email Address
[/b]
MTF...P2 Cool

[Image: Tamworth-GA-Day-800x354.png]

More on TAAAF Policy & Tamworth "N"-DAY 

From Binger in the Oz today.. Wink
Quote:Groups plead for drastic reform

[Image: d58994976fb69c98878a8b60bdce69df]12:00amMITCHELL BINGEMANN

An alliance of Australia’s major aviation associations has called on the government to reform aviation regulations.

Quote:..The newly released 66-page report from the Australian Aviation Associations Forum says it is imperative that the Civil Aviation Act is rewritten to align with international standards and that action be taken to ensure education and aviation training remain on par with global best-practice.

“Aviation policy has lan­guished and is in need of a bold agenda for reform. It is critical that the industry start moving forward again rather than being subjected to another review,” the report says.

“The Forum believes that key challenges for aviation in the next term of our federal parliament are to create a whole-of-government approach and forward-looking aviation policy, to harmonise aviation regulations with international standards and to establish performance-based safety regulation based on risk assessment and outcomes.”

The report calls for the realignment of the Department of Infrastructure and Regional Dev­el­opment and the Civil Aviation Safety Authority to implement policy effectively and create a performance-based regulatory system. It points to Australia’s pilot certification regulations, which cover 3000 pages, whereas the same material in the US — which has better safety statistics — covers just 100 pages.

“A key initiative is a major modernisation of the Civil Aviation Act 1988, which has not been reviewed in nearly 30 years. A priority is to ensure Australian aviation regulations are better aligned with international standards to facilitate exports and reduce unnecessary costs and delays, including the recognition of Australian qualifications by other aviation states, especially in the emerging aviation powerhouses of China and India,” the report said.

Also from off Dazzling Dazza's thread:

(04-29-2016, 07:35 AM)kharon Wrote:  Traction + Action = Vote winning:-

No one could consider the TAAAF a bunch of tendentious bloggers, IOS or a raving anti establishment outfit; no one.  They continue to produce first class, expert based solutions to Australia’s manifold aviation industry problems.  Those problems are every bit as real as the advice and solutions are valid.

Cherry picked from the ASA thread – HERE – is a sample of what has been consistently ignored by government, minister, department and the ‘safety’ oversight bodies that tax payers (think voters) fund.  Cost effective (tick), red tape reduction (tick), progressive (tick), advantageous to government (tick), beneficial to industry (tick): there’s a lot more ticks but it’s not for me to overburden the limited thinking capacity of those who are, ultimately responsible for the current shambles.

Bravo TAAAF, nicely done and fingers crossed.  Best free advice the minister could get.  Thank you.

Quote:TAAAF  - “Airservices should be privatised along the lines of the Canadian air traffic provider, Nav Canada, which has operated successfully and safely for over 20 years.

“Nav Canada is a not-for-profit regulated monopoly owned by industry stakeholders who are represented on the governing board and surpluses are reinvested in the corporation or used to reduce prices.”

TAAAF estimates the privatisation of Airservices would generate about $1 billion. Of that, $500 million should be spent on a developing training, research and leadership programs.

Well worth doing - even if just to remove the trough diving and whiff of corruption. 

Quote:TAAAF - "With a federal election likely to be held on July 2, TAAAF is also calling for the federal government to appoint a Minister Assisting for Aviation, whose role would be to “oversee and coordinate a new aviation strategy for Australia”.

Brilliant, essential and we already have the right man, with right stuff, laying about idle, being wasted.  

Toot toot.

&..from Byron Bailey Oz article:

Quote:...Just when you thought things could not get any worse, then came the attempted revision of Part 61 “Pilot Certification” in September 2014.

We now have, at an alleged cost of $200 million, 3000 pages of what a senior US FAA official described as gobbledygook. In the US, pilot certification runs to 100 pages and the New Zealand rules come in at 89 pages.

New Zealand revamped all their aviation regulations after a royal commission and the result is widely used and admired by other countries. Australia, however, is saddled with a regulatory nightmare that is forcing the industry to collapse.

Industry heavyweights have decided enough is enough. Desperate times call for desperate action. Concerned aviation insiders that care about the future of general aviation have organised a public meeting in Tamworth on Friday, May 6, with the Deputy Prime Minister Barnaby Joyce, Transport Minister Darren Chester and that great Australian and aviation expert Dick Smith.

Both these ministerial portfolios were formerly held by Warren Truss, who appears not to have had any leverage over CASA/ATSB/ASA. Also attending for the defence is CASA chairman Jeff Boyd. The aim of the meeting is to prevent the collapse of the industry by requesting government intervention on a range of matters, the most pressing problem being the scrapping of the totally unworkable and ruinous Part 61...

&..off the UP.. Wink

Quote:CP - More power to your arm, Ben.

Some paradigm issues that I suggest you take into consideration in your strategic thinking, so that any momentum you build and effort you are making are focussed where it may have some chance of having some effect.

The practical reality is that while ever the Coalition and Labour effectively take turns in government, they both win every election. Each 'side' merely takes its turn to feast on the treasure of the body politic.

These days, the job of the bureaucracy is to protect the relevant minister. Whether that happens to result in something that's in the public interest is a matter of mere coincidence. The bureaucracy is effectively now a support system for the political advisers for the ministers who come and go, no matter to what party they happen to belong. The political advisers decide whether the minister is happy or sad, and that determines whether the bureaucrats keep their jobs.

Both 'sides' effectively abdicated their responsibility for the aviation industry to the bureaucracy a couple of decades or so ago. This makes ministers and their advisers happy, because they can disclaim responsibility for aviation regulation on a bi-partisan and 'public interest' basis. That's why the bureaucracy proceeded to build (and continues to build) the enormous, complex mess that is the aviation regulatory system. My view is that it is now impossible for anyone to work out what the amalgamation of the Civil Aviation Act, 1988 regulations, 1998 regulations, Civil Aviation Orders, Manuals of Standards, Directions, Determinations and, most importantly, exemptions, actually means as a matter of practicality. It's now mainly a life support system for all the people who build and continue to build on the mess: The bigger the mess, the longer it will take them to clean it up (on six figure salaries, year after year).

Some of them seriously believe they are making a positive contribution to safety. Many of the people in AVMED would fall into this category.

This abdication is also the explanation for why nothing changes despite all of the matters identified by Senate Committees and inquiries and reviews and coronials etc. Witness all those Senate enquiries that don't result in the Senators walking into the Senate and voting to give effect to the strong opinions expressed during Committee hearings. It's just pantomime.

Short point for you: Don't bother wasting energy on the tweedle dumb and tweedle dumber. The only glimmer of hope for GA lies in the laps of independents like Nick X.

Therefore, I'd suggest it would be very worthwhile finding out whether Tony Windsor has any knowledge of the plight of GA, any sympathy for the plight of GA and any inclination to use his vote to support change to improve the lot of GA. If the answer to each of those questions is 'no', meeting with and talking to Chester, Joyce and Windsor is - in my opinion based on the observation of the similar circumstances have arisen with depressing regularity over the last couple of decades and more - a complete waste of your and everyone else's time and energy. Focus has to be on the people who are actually prepared to legislate for change. 
Less than 7 days & counting miniscule - Confused 
[Image: untitled.png]
Tick..tick..tick..tick..tick.. Big Grin
MTF...P2 Tongue

Rumours eh?

Couple or three juicy morsels floating about in the lead up to the Great Tamworth Bunfight. It depends on exactly how high your cynic tolerance level is set what you make of them, or even if you believe them.

1) Seems (according to the whispers) we are to have a ‘task force’, not a ‘tiger team’ but the real deal, with instructions to ‘sort it’.  Whispers have it that the ‘TF’ will be led by he who was sent from Sleepy Hollow to Murky’s play room; which may or may not be of value.  We can only hope the task lands on the infrastructure desk and Ms. Fiona Nash, working with Pete-the-Pot plant is in charge.  IF that happens, then there is real hope.  The best man for the job in this case is, most definitely a women; finger crossing and small offerings to pagan gods may assist.

2) Seems the Bae facility at Tamworth is to be resurrected and Barnaby will announce this as part of his Tamworth sojourn. The ‘who’ ‘what-for’ and ‘why’ are still the subject of speculation; there is a short priced favourite, MTF as P2 would say.

3) AOPA president Marc De Stoop has taken a tumble and bust a couple of bones.  He is a first class fellah and well worth a short ‘get well’ message, don’t expect a long response, he has a wing root out of commission.

Rumour mill – over and out.... Wink

Hitch overview of TAAAF Policy 2016.

Quote:
[Image: Cardinal_RG-2_6F93DB40-12AA-11E6-9910064697486F3B.jpg]
General aviation needs some changes in Canberra if it is to have a vibrant future. (Steve Hitchen)

Inside the 2016 TAAAF Policy
5 May 2016

By Steve Hitchen
Comment

The Australian Aviation Associations Forum (TAAAF) 2016 policy paper, released last Thursday, is a strategically-timed document brimming with urgency, yet devoid of panic. And rather than be nothing but a red-flag of distress, the policy is more of a road map to rescue for the aviation industry, and general aviation in particular.

More than any other attempt to turn the heads and minds of politicians, this paper has the goods to overcome most of the stubborn walls that stand in the way of real progress. Having said that, it relies heavily on the government of the day understanding the issues that general aviation faces, and coupling that with a genuine desire to revitalise it. Whereas TAAAF can certainly help understand the issues, it can do very little if the government really doesn’t want a vibrant GA industry.

The way this paper is received in Canberra and what impact is has will reveal a lot about what us under the government’s kilt. This policy does most of the work needed to get GA moving forward and growing, but although it may sit on the desks of the politicians, it will still have to run the slicing gauntlet of the public servants, who will analyse and advise measured against a different criteria to which the policy was written, namely, the hidden agendas of the party in power.

According to TAAAF Honorary Chairman Greg Russell, the 2016 policy is a clear statement of what the forum believes the open agenda should be for the next three years.

“We want to commence a national discussion on a National Aviation Strategy,” he told me last Monday. “Current aviation policy is spread over too many agencies, and we have a good case for a Minister Assisting for Aviation to co-ordinate a national plan.”

Good point. Aviation in Australia currently is influenced by the Department of Infrastructure and Regional Development (DIRD), the Civil Aviation Safety Authority (CASA), Airservices Australia, the Department of Defence, the Australian Transport Safety Bureau (ATSB), the Bureau of Infrastructure, Transport and Regional Economics (BITRE), the Senate Standing Committee on Rural and Regional Affairs and Transport… and that’s just at federal level.

Then there are the state governments, airport owners, developers, aviation interest groups, self-administering organisations, community groups, airlines and flying schools. Even the education departments are starting to have an influence through the Recognised Training Organisation accreditation scheme for the 150-hour CPL courses.

There’s even an aviation journo or two trying to put their two cents in.
The point is that there are lots of wheelbarrows being pushed and no single parking space for them all. TAAAF’s paper proposes a way to clear the traffic jam.

The main thrust of the paper is a paradigm shift to genuine partnership between stakeholders, in its own words, “having government work with the industry in a new partnership to establish an aviation environment that supports safety, encourages competition and innovations, and delivers significant benefits to the Australian community.”

It sounds simple; like Utopia is only one stop the other side of Redfern, but TAAAF is not demanding quick fixes in double-quick time. This is a long-term plan for equal length sustainability for the industry, but just as every journey begins with one step, TAAAF believes the first forward move is to fix problems at CASA.

“The time has come for a complete overhaul of Australia’s aviation safety regulator,” the paper states. “CASA has had a series of turbulent relationships with industry over the past two decades and it is apparent that the standard of its management and its internal systems and processes have steadily declined.

“This is a situation that is no longer tolerable in a country like Australia that depends so heavily on the safety and growth of its aviation industry.”

That’s strong language that masks another message TAAAF – and the aviation industry – is trying to get across: enough is enough. Industry needs to grow and it can’t take unwarranted and unjustified authoritarianism from some parts of CASA anymore. You know the old saying … if you’re not part of the solution, you’re part of the problem.

But just like the Aircraft Owners and Pilots Association (AOPA) Project Eureka, the centrepiece of the TAAAF policy is a recommendation to sell off Airservices, then pump the money back into aviation. Normally, this would be Lindt chocolate in the mouths of Coalition politicians who have been Australia’s great champions of privatisation, but the recommendation comes with a bit of an onion: the new air service provider should be a not-for-profit company.

According to TAAAF, Nav Canada is a classic success story, the bones of which are closer to where Australia needs to head than the UK National Air Traffic Services commercial model. Russell is a not-so-late CEO of Airservices Australia, and states emphatically that he felt the Airservices model was not long-life anyway, being as it was at the whim of short-term politics.

A sell-off is genuinely on the cards, and has been bandied around before, but how attractive will it be to a buyer if it then has to be run as a non-profit organisation? If we look at the Nav Canada ownership, we find the shareholders are the National Airlines Council of Canada, Canadian Business Aviation Association, Government of Canada and the unions. Would the Australian equivalents or other stakeholders have the capital to stump up a collective $1 billion to buy Airservices, and would they want to do it anyway?

If not, then the only alternative is to get a private buyer involved and kiss goodbye to the non-profit idea.

Ironically, many general aviation companies have been running non-profit for years, with any potential returns on investment soaked up by regulatory costs that contribute nothing to aviation safety and hamper efficiency. Yes, there are some that are doing alright, but the regular extinction of many companies is an indicator of an industry going the way of the dinosaur and quality television. The TAAAF recognises this in their 2016 policy, and make special mention under the heading A New Philosophy for the Regulation of General Aviation.

The basis of the philosophy is simple: you can't take rules designed for airlines and make them work for general aviation without them being a crushing burden on operators. TAAAF is extolling the virtues of a "low risk – low regulation" approach from CASA, and reinforces the legitimacy of the general aviation industry in having a say in the way their industry is regulated.

"General aviation has slipped off the agenda," Greg Russell told me, "and TAAAF wants it back on. It needs to be a thoughtful philosophy and one that could be a foundation for good policy."

The philosophy also contains an appeal for what amounts to a general aviation bill of rights. It reinforces calls for a just culture within CASA, removal of the counter-safety strict liability regime, protection from vindictive reaction to complaints and transparency and accountability. It would surprise a lot of outside observers to know that general aviation has not been afforded any of these things in the past. The sad thing is that all TAAAF is asking for are the rights that GA should have anyway.

So how much genuine influence will the 2016 TAAAF policy have? Their last document in 2013 has been credited as being a factor in the decision to commission the Forsyth Report, which–although still hamstrung–was the biggest earthquake in the aviation industry since the CAA was split into CASA and Airservices.

This group gets listened to and has the influence and respect of many Canberra decision makers, so the new policy will get in front of the right people. Where it goes from there depends upon the many other factors that come into play in the everyday cut-and-thrust of Australian federal politics.
MTF...P2 Tongue

A challenge in the offing.

Potential for a bit of a competition may be brewing – depends on whether rumours can be believed or not.  Ben Morgan’s efforts on behalf of the AOPA ‘gab-fest’ in Tamworth may, just have achieved more in one short afternoon than anyone has done in many a long year.  In any case, Ben did well, very well indeed and GA does or should appreciate the effort he made.  Anyway – the rumour.  It seems Barnaby has put a flea in the miniscule ear and demanded that a bone be thrown to the unwashed, uneducated bunch howling for reform at his gate; makes sense, because Windsor will pick up a stick and bang the drum even if Barnbaby won’t.  

ADSB deferred until 2021 – easy fix, Chester has the juice to issue a ministerial directive and no one will be unhappy; except the increasingly isolated, unpopular, Skidmore screw crew (he, of the dreadful neckwear) that is.  That is rumoured in the wind; to be on the cards, now.  If (IF) it happens then it’s a feather in the AOPA cap and begs the question of the other alphabet soup groups – “That’s our contribution; what’s yours?”.

It’s quite a gauntlet.  No doubt the inestimable Phil Hurst and Russel will rise to the challenge.  Let’s all hope that finally, at long last, the thin end of the real reform wedge has been inserted, where it needs to be.

Time, and not too much of it, will tell the tale.

Toot 2021 - toot.

Hitch on Tamworth rally - Wink

Quote:Government Contingent faces GA Community in Heated Debate

9 May 2016

A contingent of government representatives fronted the general aviation community at a rally in Tamworth last Friday, a meeting which was at some times very heated and passionate.

Deputy Prime Minister and Member for New England Barnaby Joyce, Minister for Infrastructure and Transport Darren Chester, CASA Chairman Jeff Boyd and CASA Board Member Anita Taylor met with around 150 aviation people determined to get the message across that over-regulation is killing the GA industry.

The Aircraft Owners and PIlots Association (AOPA) and Aviation Advertiser's Ben Morgan organised the event ahead of the coming 2 July Federal Election to reinforce the issues put forward in AOPA's Project Eureka and The Australian Aviation Associations Forum 2016 Policy document.

Several of the most pressing issues were discussed, with most time given to the Automated Dependant Surveillance - Broadcast (ADS-B) mandate, CASR Parts 61 (Licencing), Part 142 (integrated training), problems at CASA, a desire to see the CASRs replaces with the US FARs and the general costs of regulation.

From the outset, Barnaby Joyce seemed determined to get across to the gathering that the government was on their side.

"I didn't come to this meeting because I didn't want to do anything," he said. "I organised for the Minister to be here, I talked to Ben [Morgan] and we organised it all so that we could do something. We want to be doers; we want to achieve something.

"The place that all of us are going to reside is the future, and if we can work with you, hopefully, god willing, we can bring about a better industry that takes some of the weight off your shoulders, lets you get back in the air, lets you make a buck and helps this economy go a lot better."

Present among the general aviation community were AOPA's Phillip Reiss and Spencer Ferrier, Dick Smith, AMROBA's Ken Cannane, Pel-Air ditching pilot Dominic James and flight nurse Karen Casey, Bankstown identity Aminta Hennessy, GA stalwarts Sandy Reith and Bill Hamilton, flying school owner Glen Buckley, aeroplane makers Sue Woods from Jabiru and Paul Goard from Brumby Aircraft, and architect of the Aviation Safety Regulation Review (ASRR) David Forsyth.

CASA Chairman Jeff Boyd wore a lot of heat over his position on the February 2017 ADS-B mandate. Boyd admitted that he thought introducing ADS-B three years ahead of the USA was a stupid idea, but reinforced that he thought the mandate could not be rolled back, and indicated to the group that CASA would deal with some of the issues by exemption. His comments attracted derision from the gathering with one person saying it "sounded like garbage."

Boyd reiterated that changes within Airservices made it impossible to push the mandate further out, which did not placate the audience.

The question and answer part of the day was also punctuated with a statement sent to the gathering by independent senator Nick Xenophon, which read in part:

Quote:"I am sorry I could not be there today to support you and your industry in your fight for a fair go. Just last night in the senate committee I asked the CASA Director of Aviation Safety why the ADS-B requirement could not be delayed until 2021. The Director of Aviation Safety said it would not be delayed and went so far as to say that it may well be cheaper if we do it earlier ... I do not accept the position.

"I will not stand by and see general aviation destroyed in Australia with a measure that will have counter-productive effects on aviation safety as more pilots will be forced to fly visually because of the costs involved."

Boyd also conceded that problems with CASR Part 61 were having a significant impact on the training industry.

"You can't defend Part 61, it's a mess," he said, before indicating CASA would deal with more pressing issues with exemptions until a major amendment to Part 61 comes in near the end of 2016.

Pointed arguments from the audience were put forward regarding the cost of conforming to CASR Part 142 for flying schools wanting to offer the 150-hour CPL and the problems with leases at capital city secondary airports.

Minister Darren Chester has further meetings with both AOPA and TAAAF on 25 May, but indicated that the GA community could expect little to change in the interim as the government would be in caretaker mode pending the federal election.

Read more at http://www.australianflying.com.au/lates...lGwLH4A.99
MTF...P2 Tongue

Jeffro Tull Boyd;

"You can't defend Part 61, it's a mess," he said, before indicating CASA would deal with more pressing issues with exemptions until a major amendment to Part 61 comes in near the end of 2016.

So let me get this straight - you are Chairman of the CAsA Board, part of the high level framework that oversees our nations aviation safety, yet YOU can't change a system that is about to be rolled out that everyone already knows is fundamentally flawed?? WTF! Is this bloke serious? Are these people serious? And the Minister and his Miniscule were there to hear this rhetoric and accept this as being a safe and compliant measure? TICK TOCK.

You know it's interesting, CAsA piss on about 'change management', 'risk', 'closing the loop' and all that 'safety talk' yet they don't practise what they preach. Instead they would rather stick by a flawed set of rules s and regulations that are already falling apart at the seams before being fully introduced! Indeed, you muppets have the hide to hammer the industry over minor infractions while you allow such major risks to continue.

TICK TOCK

Dear Ministers & Chair Boyd - from Ben Morgan Aviation Advertiser Wink

Quote:[Image: e642fa79ed379e14ac0bce88d7402d591a7d5b2a]

[b]The Hon Barnaby Joyce
Deputy Prime Minister & Minister for Agriculture and Water Resources
House of Representatives
Parliament House
Canberra ACT 2600
Australia.

The Hon Darren Chester MP
Minister for Infrastructure and Transport
House of Representatives
Parliament House
Canberra ACT 2600
Australia.

Mr Jeff Boyd
Chairman of the Board, Civil Aviation Safety Authority
GPO Box 2005
Canberra ACT 2601

The 94,000+ Users of the Aviation Advertiser Network

Dear Ministers & Chairman,

FOLLOW UP RESPONSE – INVITATION TO MEET IN CANBERRA 24TH MAY 2016.

I would like to extend my sincere thanks and appreciation to each of you with regard to your attendance at the Aviation Rally I organised on Friday 6th May 2016 at Tamworth Regional Airport.  I understand that all of you are busy, and I do appreciate your taking the time for this important event.

Upfront, I would like to convey my sincere apology, with regard to the rushed commencement of proceedings, during which I did not clearly introduce the attending Ministers and Chairman appropriately.  This was certainly not an intentional undertaking and I openly apologise if it has caused any offence.  However I trust my mistake did not overshadow the value of the core message of the rally.

Over 400 persons were in attendance on Friday 6th May standing with the general aviation industry's leading associations and peak bodies.  Many had driven and flown considerable distances, arriving from each state and territory of Australia, all undertaken at a considerable personal and business expense.  Each participant a passionate supporter of aviation, desiring nothing more than a ‘fair go’ for general aviation in Australia.  An industry calling on government to remove the unnecessary costs that excessive regulation imposes.

I would like to quote Mr Darren Chester MP, during his recent speech to Parliament, defending the jobs of truck owner-drivers; “Australians shouldn’t have to drive thousands of kilometres, spend thousands of dollars of their own money, to fight for their jobs.  These are not paid protestors, these Australian mums and dads are passionate about their industry, passionate about the future of our nation.”.

For too long the aviation industry has been voiceless, unable to meaningfully engage with the political powers that hold direct control of the future of the general aviation industry. The rally signifies a shift for the industry, as it now seeks to actively elevate its concerns into the national debate.

Although at times heated, the rally highlighted the serious divide that exists between industry and government.  It has also made clear the frustrations experienced by aviation users, unable to resolve the core issues which are damaging our general aviation industry.  

From what you have each seen and heard first hand at Tamworth, the general aviation industry has declared a ‘no confidence’ position, with regard to the Civil Aviation Safety Authority (CASA) and its regulatory framework.  Those in attendance have demonstrated that the industry can no longer endure the further inaction by the safety regulator.  Thousands of aviation businesses and their employees are at risk, their futures uncertain as a result.

General aviation across Australia has been forced to accept a regulatory framework that is thoroughly incompatible with our industry, by a regulator who did not seek a consensus or mandate from its key stakeholder - the general aviation industry itself.  Had an industry referendum taken place, Australia would be currently enjoying the benefits of the United States, Federal Aviation Administration’s (FAA) Federal Aviation Regulations (FAR).  This position is further supported by the recent submissions of both the AOPA Project Eureka and the TAAAF Policy Paper 2016.

CASA has continually ignored the qualified consensus and requests of its key stakeholders (the aviation industry) and has forced the implementation of a regulatory package which has been acknowledged worldwide as causing widespread general aviation destruction across Europe.  All of which is well documented, publicly available and in plain sight.

Recently a number of senior EASA personnel have come forward, including Executive Director Mr Patrick Ky, openly acknowledging that the EASA platform is incompatible with general aviation.  Communicating that its regulatory framework is ‘misguided' and that it 'must change its approach' or the destruction of general aviation will continue.

Our closest aviation partner, New Zealand (NZ), identified the EASA shortcomings early and reformed its aviation regulatory framework a number of years ago, harmonising to the US FAA FAR’s with the goal of reducing costs to industry.  Subsequently, their general aviation industry have been given the tools and resources to develop and grow - now clearly leading Australia.  The New Zealand aviation regulator completed its reform for a fraction of what has already been spent by CASA, which is still nowhere near completion.

Meanwhile, the Federal Aviation Administration of the United States continues to manage the world's most successful aviation economy, developing a diverse and profitable general aviation industry based on its progressive and supportive regulatory framework.

The EASA Executive Director’s acknowledgements are amplified by the comments by CASA Chairman, Mr Jeff Boyd, during the aviation rally stating that the framework was both a ‘cluster disaster’ and ‘unworkable’ for general aviation.  Going further to state that CASA was simply applying ‘bandaids’ to the structural failures and inadequacies of the EASA regulatory framework.

The attendance and participation of the CASA Chairman was both appreciated and valued and I commend him for openly facing the industry.  His concise and frank acknowledgements of the incompatibility of the regulatory framework were unambiguous and supportive of the industry’s qualified call to end the failed EASA experiment and to move to the US FAA FAR’s.  However, his position on ADSB simply demonstrated the disjointed and broken chain of strategy and management within CASA.

At the risk of repeating myself, the situation with ADSB implementation in Australia is a clear example of the mismanagement to which the Australian aviation industry is being subjected.  Rather than simply extend the compliance date from 2017 (three years ahead of the US) to 2021 to match New Zealand, the safety regulator is seeking to create further bureaucratic processes.  Further increasing the excessive costs to industry by requiring aviation users to submit an individual ADSB exemption application.  This position is absurd at best.

The economic impact on the general industry is significant (CASA’s estimate is approximately $30 million).  As such, it is clear that forcing the Australian general aviation industry into compliance three (3) years ahead of the world's most successful aviation economy (the US) will limit the number of compliant aircraft significantly.  Additionally, increasing the divide between the regulator and aviation users across Australia.

Industry firmly believes that CASA’s fixed stance on the ADSB compliance date demonstrates their clear inflexibility in applying fair policy and shows the regulator to be manifestly unreasonable towards the needs of industry. (See Section 1.2.1 CASA Governance Framework Manual).

If I could again quote Mr Darren Chester MP, during his recent speech to Parliament, defending the jobs of truck owner-drivers; “...this is a government responding to legitimate concerns of owner drivers throughout Australia, owner drivers, who right now fear they are being forced out of work, forced out of their industry, unable to make their family commitments… as someone who has come to this place without a great interest in party political games, and I'm not someone who gets involved in the political cut and thrust, I try to build consensus, I try to get things done within my community and work with either side wherever possible.  But sometimes Mr Deputy Speaker, you have to pick a side.  You just have to pick a side on an issue like this and as a regional MP as the Transport Minister I am proudly on the side of small business owners.”

Minister, the Australian general aviation industry is comprised of thousands of hard working men and women, largely involved in small business, and they are going under and need your support.  These people are the 'truckies of the sky', asking for nothing more than what you fought for on behalf of driver-owners recently.

CASA as a result of implementing a failing EASA framework has virtually sunk our industry in excessive compliance requirements and costs that are designed for the airlines - not small business.  If we continue with the status quo, CASA will certainly bankrupt Australia’s general aviation industry.

Therefore, the general aviation industry calls on the Minister to take the necessary steps to formally direct CASA to set aside the failed EASA experiment and for the regulator to adopt the world's most successful aviation regulatory framework - the United States Federal Aviation Administration’s (FAA) Federal Aviation Regulation (FAR) framework.  A move which is supported by all of Australia’s general aviation industry associations, peak-bodies and leadership (see AOPA Project Eureka and TAAAF Aviation Policy 2016).

In doing so, you will be providing our industry the regulatory tools and resources it needs to recover, develop and succeed both within Australia and abroad.  You will be ensuring the hard working men and women throughout aviation industry face a certain future.

With regard to the invitation made at the aviation rally to meet in Canberra on the 24th May 2016 to discuss the key issues.  I would like to accept this invitation on behalf of the 94,000 users of the Aviation Advertiser network and will be accompanied by a delegation which represents Australia’s leading general aviation associations and peak-bodies.

For this meeting in Canberra to have value and to provide a productive outcome for the general aviation industry, I would like to suggest that we focus on establishing a pathway agreement, to which the industry can provide its support for the coalition at the 2nd July election.   Additionally, I am respectfully requesting that Air Vice-Marshal Gary Beck AO (Retd) chair the meeting.

As you would appreciate, we have been approached by a number of political parties and representatives, with regard to seeking our endorsement and support.  Team Nick Xenophon already releasing a clear position statement with regard to ADSB.

Now that the parliament has been dissolved, with the election called for 2nd July 2016, it is imperative that the general aviation industry be given an opportunity to understand the Liberal/National Coalition position and policy with regard to general aviation.

The general aviation industry will again rally in South Australia, with the event date to be announced shortly.  Along with events in all other states of Australia.

Thank you again and I am looking forward to meeting in Canberra on the 24th May.  I await your response.

Yours sincerely,

BENJAMIN MORGAN
Chief Executive - Aviation Advertiser Digital Group

Telephone: (02) 8215 6292
Mobile: 0415 577 724
Email: bmorgan@aviationadvertiser.com.au 

Mailing Address:
PO BOX 465
Edgecliff NSW 2027
Australia.[/b]   

Four long, weary years.

Quote:Morgan: -From what you have each seen and heard first hand at Tamworth, the general aviation industry has declared a ‘no confidence’ position, with regard to the Civil Aviation Safety Authority (CASA) and its regulatory framework.  Those in attendance have demonstrated that the industry can no longer endure the further inaction by the safety regulator.

Finally, industry calls ‘enough’: the dismal performance of a front line government minister and the less than salubrious presence of the Australian deputy prime minister at Tamworth has done much to fuel that outraged call.  Voting for the ‘independents’ or anyone who will, proactively support the industry, through the TAAAF policy and recognise that the ASRR was the absolute minimum of change demanded by industry of government, is essential to survival.

Four long, weary, frustrating years ago, the PAIN associates made several predictions, then, in an attempt to prevent the worst expectations from occurring proposed a No Confidence motion petition to be sent to the then minister for transport.  This notion was reluctantly abandoned when the ministerial antecedents and preferences became clear.

Since that time, the minister has been changed, the top job incumbent at the CASA has changed hands, the ASRR has been provided and the Pel-Air inquiry is slowly making it’s way back into the public gaze.  But nothing else has even shown the slightest intention to accept real change, reform or freely offered sound, expert advice.  

Anyway – FWIW, I have dusted off and reviewed the ‘No Confidence’ petition; more than anything else I have read, the document clearly shows that nothing, not one single element of real change has occurred over the last four years.   You may, should the mood move you download a copy of that document from the Aunty Pru archives – HERE – It is worth reading.

Quote:Additionally, I am respectfully requesting that Air Vice-Marshal Gary Beck AO (Retd) chair the meeting.

Good idea. Maybe Beck and Co. could present a revised version at the next indaba, that, signed by Aviation Advertisers patrons and supporters may yet penetrate the dimmest of ministerial minds and bring welcome, albeit belated attention to the thus far ignored topic of matters aeronautical.

Toot – Bravo Ben – toot.

(05-12-2016, 07:36 AM)kharon Wrote:  Four long, weary years.

Quote:Morgan: -From what you have each seen and heard first hand at Tamworth, the general aviation industry has declared a ‘no confidence’ position, with regard to the Civil Aviation Safety Authority (CASA) and its regulatory framework.  Those in attendance have demonstrated that the industry can no longer endure the further inaction by the safety regulator.

Finally, industry calls ‘enough’: the dismal performance of a front line government minister and the less than salubrious presence of the Australian deputy prime minister at Tamworth has done much to fuel that outraged call.  Voting for the ‘independents’ or anyone who will, proactively support the industry, through the TAAAF policy and recognise that the ASRR was the absolute minimum of change demanded by industry of government, is essential to survival.

Four long, weary, frustrating years ago, the PAIN associates made several predictions, then, in an attempt to prevent the worst expectations from occurring proposed a No Confidence motion petition to be sent to the then minister for transport.  This notion was reluctantly abandoned when the ministerial antecedents and preferences became clear.

Since that time, the minister has been changed, the top job incumbent at the CASA has changed hands, the ASRR has been provided and the Pel-Air inquiry is slowly making it’s way back into the public gaze.  But nothing else has even shown the slightest intention to accept real change, reform or freely offered sound, expert advice.  

Anyway – FWIW, I have dusted off and reviewed the ‘No Confidence’ petition; more than anything else I have read, the document clearly shows that nothing, not one single element of real change has occurred over the last four years.   You may, should the mood move you download a copy of that document from the Aunty Pru archives – HERE – It is worth reading.

Quote:Additionally, I am respectfully requesting that Air Vice-Marshal Gary Beck AO (Retd) chair the meeting.

Good idea. Maybe Beck and Co. could present a revised version at the next indaba, that, signed by Aviation Advertisers patrons and supporters may yet penetrate the dimmest of ministerial minds and bring welcome, albeit belated attention to the thus far ignored topic of matters aeronautical.

Toot – Bravo Ben – toot.

DOWNLOADED THE PETITION - We need to update this document, so that I can set it up as a CHANGE.ORG petition to the Liberal/National Party now......

Who can do this for me?  0415 577 724  bmorgan@aviationadvertiser.com.au

(05-12-2016, 11:00 AM)Peetwo Wrote:  
(05-11-2016, 08:05 PM)kharon Wrote:  The Sunfish protocol.

Quote:
Quote:I will be working hard in Federal parliament to ensure that general aviation again thrives and prospers across Australia. I will not stand by and see general aviation destroyed in Australia as a result of unfair regulation.

Tony Windsor.

The point is simple; take a copy of the TAAAF document to both the local member and the opposition; then make a simple statement.

“I will vote for you and do my best to persuade others to vote for you IF you promise me, now, that you will campaign, should you be elected, to foster and promote this policy and do your level best to have the recommendations of the Forsyth ASRR implemented, within the time frames nominated.  

That, boys and girls is the Sunfish protocol;

Honourable men keep their word; politicians? they need a little more stick and carrot.

Selah.
Quote:As you would appreciate, we have been approached by a number of political parties and representatives, with regard to seeking our endorsement and support.  Team Nick Xenophon already releasing a clear position statement with regard to ADSB.

Talking of Sunfish of UP fame, here is his response to the latest Ben Morgan correspondence & his take on the Jeff Boyd remarks at Tamworth:
Quote:Excellent letter! Keep the momentum going!

Now is the time to pile it on!

If Mr. Boyds alleged comments at the Tamworth rally are accurately reported, then either Mr. Boyd or AVM. Skidmore is going to have to resign in my opinion. Because AVM. Skidmore, by resigning from AOPA and allegedly being intransigent on ADS-B, has hitched his wagon to the CASA status quo and Boyd appears to have said that CASA has a case to answer. They both can't be right.

My guess is that Mrdak and his minion Carmody are going to have to decide very shortly if CASA is worth supporting in its current form because the last thing politicians need is an angry pressure group of GA aviators approaching an election and if we do things right they will blame CASA for their electoral problems. What we need to do is promising to make the temperature hotter right up till election day! - We're working on it Sunny Big Grin

To follow on from the Sunny posted observations, here is three audio segments from last Monday's Kelly Fuller (ABC New England) radio breakfast show:
Quote:[Image: Untitled_Clipping_051216_083038_PM.jpg]

The aviation industry says it's going to the wall because of over regulations by the Civil Aviation Safety Authority.

Around 300 pilots and members of the industry met with Deputy Prime Minister Barnaby Joyce and the Minister for Transport Darren Chester on Friday afternoon to raise their concerns.

Tamworth Aviation Protest 

Darren Chester

Geoff Boyd CASA

MTF...P2 Tongue

A curly one.

Not sure where to post this, it’s a strange thing and not a topic that I’d ever imagined would surface.  In short – WTF are the CASA DAS and CASA Chairman suddenly all concerned over ‘commercial’ matters.

Skidmore trotted it out as a weasel worded platitude at estimates – concerned that it was unfair, so unfair to those who had spent their money fitting ADSB that he couldn’t possibly consider delaying full implementation.  When I heard that – it seemed like one of the backroom spin merchants had work-shopped the answer for him, lest he cop a hiding from Fawcett or Xenophon.  Noted and filed, I then ignored it as just another escape chute excuse, to be forgotten during the ‘caretaker’ period, when the really nasty stuff gets shovelled out of the back door. Operations normal.

There was mention of same made at the Tamworth stockade, but it got short shrift and drowned out by other questions.  

Then I listened carefully to the Boyd interview on ABC radio: and bugger me, there it was again.  CASA getting all concerned about ‘commercial’ matters, fairness of competition and costs, from Boyd.  Rewind, listen again – click.

Two things: (i) nobody in CASA seems to give a flying duck about the huge commercial impost this system has already imposed; and, (ii) now that expenditure is being used as a lever to enforce the 2017 deadline.  Now that is about as cynical as it gets and worthy of comment; but the thing puzzles me most is CASA have always resisted, in the strongest possible manner any compromise which relates to commercial realities. “Safety cannot be etc. Blah, blah, blah, you know the speech.

As stated, from CASA I would except this level of duplicity to be espoused by Skidmore, it’s very much his style.  But it knocked my socks off to hear Boyd mouthing the same bullshit.

No one in CASA gave a toss when the financial impact was hurting every operating company in the country, now suddenly ‘commercial’ considerations are a weapon to be used in the battle to retain the ludicrous 2017 deadline and bring in ADSB four years ahead of the developed, grown up aviation nations.

You can see why I’m puzzled about where to park this post.

Toot – head scratch – toot.

Kharon, bear with me for a minute mate; The politicians and bureaucrats are the same as a cheap hooker - willing to sell their ass to any John Doe just to pay for their next hit. For the Pollies, they need to survive the next term, and so the wheel turns. The reason the sudden concern for 'economics' has arisen is because it is the election catch phrase basically - jobs and growth, grow the economy, cut red tape, stimulate stimulate stimulate.......all bollocks.

Besides, a fight or debate between Government and the IOS over 'regulation matters','safety matters', even 'the DPM's selfie at a piss trough with one hand pointing to a sign on the wall and the other hand holding his tiny withered member' is trivial because the media couldn't give a toss. There are only two things that will raise aviation attention - 1) a large smoking hole, 2) bad publicity for the government. Option one is not preferred for obvious reasons, although many of us believe it is inevitable. However option two is the most palatable yet difficult.

So we need to think outside the box. We need something that draws media attention to our industry's plight. Use the recent truck driver fiasco as a good example; how many of us knew about the simmering issue before we saw it on the 6:00pm news when a convoy of passionate drivers, their unions and other supporters drove a convoy around Parliament House? The issue had been festering for ages yet nobody was interested, not until our multi-wheeled brothers made a bold, public statement that shone a giant spotlight on the Can'tberra parasites. I believe that the wheels have now been firmly greased. But it's not enough. Now it's time for publicity. Perhaps a flying procession to Can'tberra of every available aviator and then an aviators road procession of sorts around that billion dollar den that is filled with Armani wearing arse lickers. A call to arms for whirlybird pilots, GA pilots, engineers, anyone and everyone who sniffs, breathes and works in aviation. But it's got to be big, bold and very very public. Something that will give the Presstitute's a woody. Our tendentious blogging, pithy meetings with muppets like Joyce, Mr perfect hair and Boyd are a fruitless exercise. They are merely buying time, ticking boxes and shutting us up until the election is done and dusted and we never see them again. Even though it pains me to say it, It needs to gain mainstream media attention.

Thoughts??

P_666

Over a beer, a discussion.

Quote:GD - Besides, a fight or debate between Government and the IOS over 'regulation matters', 'safety matters', even 'the DPM's selfie at a piss trough with one hand pointing to a sign on the wall and the other hand holding his tiny withered member' is trivial because the media couldn't give a toss.

Barmybaby’s picture was always going to be ignored – it’s in such poor taste that even the trashiest rag in town wouldn’t lower its standards and publish it.  The fun is strictly ‘in-house’ although anyone attending Tamworth would agree the parallels are accurately represented.  Anyway, who gives a toss about what the ‘media’ says for longer than the period between ‘story’ and the next advert break.  Every night folk sit at home, beer in the fridge, dinner cooking, kids milling about, dogs barking etc. and watch horrendous ‘vision’ of war zones, executions, mass shootings, hurricane damage, flood, fire and violence on the streets of their town or city.  Then, within less time than it takes to drink an ale; they are being submerged in advertisements for everything they don’t need from panty liners to the latest slimming marvel.  The same folk who couldn’t care a toss about Syria will take note of the latest cut to a budget that affects them directly; but little else.  Their child gets hurt and there is an outcry, concern and criticism of the hospital system.  A starving kid in the Sudan being beaten, raped, and murdered; or, a toddler laying dead on a foreign beach, drowned trying to escape a conflict not of it’s making may elicit a ‘tut-tut’ from Mum as she heads out to the kitchen to stir dinner. Man’s inhumanity to man is legendary, it has always been thus, since the cave.  

I believe it is naïve to think that 15 minutes of air time a week for either the Truckies or aviation will affect the politicians; I believe the politicians capitalise on the result and use the media to promote their ‘image’, post event.  The Truckies didn’t win because of the media; they won because someone, somewhere, somehow pushed all the right buttons; and, either through threat to, or benefit for political interests made the wheels turn.  I doubt any of the political figures making happy noises after the event were even too deeply involved in the process of ‘real’ negotiation..

Aviation has many monsters to beat before meaningful change can be effected.  The USA got it right, first time around and continued on from there; but they are a people with ‘rights’ and ‘freedom’ stamped on their rumps in the womb.  The Kiwi’s had to do something after Erebus, it took a while and some blood letting, but they got it right and the Pacific nations followed their lead.  No one has looked back since.  The USA have not followed Australia’s lead on how to manage reform, neither have the Kiwi’s.  The Europeans and the Brits have changed direction and are throwing a fortune at stripping away rule sets which are at best counterproductive, at worst potentially dangerous.  

So we arrive at the ‘Why’ point.  IMO opinion those responsible for aviation oversight in the grown up, first world aviation nations are ‘expert’ in their field.  When expert, experienced, educated folk of good will and intention decide to effect change, it happens.  The politicians capitalise, the media reports it and the industry thrives.  Take a look at what Australia has for an ‘expert’, educated, front line and weep.  Can you imagine anyone, apart from Boyd who actually know what they are about working for CASA?  Perhaps we should ask Nick Xenophon to ask a question – on notice – about the dropout rate at CASA; conduct some exit interviews.  PAIN has and the results are not pretty.

Until the regulator is reformed – from top to bottom – meaningful reform and  resurrection of the almost defunct ‘small end’ industry is doomed to failure.  The big boys don’t have to worry, they can and regularly do tell CASA to bugger off and they mark you have the cream of the crop to work with.

Convince senior, sensible bureau heads that reform, real root and bough reform of our regulator is in the national interest and watch the changes happen.  Bleating at muppets like Chester just presents another photo opportunity.  I know there are some wise owls hiding in the chambers off the corridors of power, who can see far and clear.  Just find us a DAS with a little more intelligence than the average house brick, a bit more sensitivity than a pub toilet seat and an attention span greater than that of well trained racing rabbit and watch.  The problem costing millions upon on millions is not the regulations; it is internal to and inherent of the body overseeing the application of regulation.  Clean them out and all will be well.  The protest is not to do with ‘regulation’, that is a cover story – everyone, including the better agency employees is fed up to the back teeth with ‘Ducking CASA’ and that is the plain, simple, unvarnished truth of it.

Oops;… Blush …sorry chaps, runaway keyboard syndrome.  Aye well, it was always coming: now, turn that steam off GD; lets have a coffee and a smoke, lean on the fence and watch the sun rise.

Toot toot.

Ferryman;

"now, turn that steam off GD; lets have a coffee and a smoke, lean on the fence and watch the sun rise".

Indeed sir. Already had a pot of strong black this morning, walked the pooches around the fruit orchard and smoked a few Winnie Blues. Also read the paper and an article about Bill Shortens 'moobs'! Hell,  I even grazed the elbow removing a baby fruit bat from one of the barbed wire fences....who said the Gobbledock has no heart??

Later:-

K – Good job with that fruit bat mate, poor little bugger; it’s the CASA approved landing technique that does it; just hit the tree and hang on for grim death until the noise stops.  (sound of match striking) – bit like the new rule intro system…….

A call to arms?

We shall have to wait the minutes of the meeting before any serious consideration may be given to yesterdays gab fest in Canberra.  However, there are a few facts, which may be useful, available.

There was a productive meeting between AOPA and the TAAAF before AOPA finally managed to get a meeting with ‘the powers that be’.  Perhaps that previous meeting was cordial and a pathway to solidarity was riven through the barriers of self interest.  Once again the efforts of the inestimable Ken Cannane must be recognised and applauded.  As I understand it, some synchronisation was achieved; which, IMO is excellent.

No doubt Ben Morgan is busy drafting a summary of the meeting which he was finally allowed into.  That was a battle on it’s own.  The puling excuses to prevent his attendance went along the lines that CASA would only meet with the ‘original’ nominated attendees and anyway, Morgan was not on AOPA board.  De Stoop fixed that in a heartbeat, much to the chagrin of some of the more pliable.  Morgan got a Guernsey and could not be side lined.  The winds of change are indeed blowing through the dusty, empty halls of the AOPA.

Anyway, I’ll not pre-empt the Morgan summary – suffice to say further meetings have been scheduled and at very least industry now has a small foot in a very large door.

What must happen, sooner rather than later is unity and a sharing of information and data.  It is crystal clear that the CASA version of how the industry is faring, espoused by Skidmore is a fairy story.  Now if the minister and the department are being spoon fed artificially sweetened ‘statistic’s’ then it’s going to be an uphill battle all the way to unbutton the emperors new clothes and disavow the mandarins of the notion that all is well.  Mandarins will, perforce believe their minions opinions, before those of the howling mob.

That is one of the problems, ain’t it.  There is not a howling mob, just a bunch of terrified peasants skulking in the bushes, relying on exemption and favour for sustenance; divided and scared of having their livelihood snatched from them by a CASA bully boy; or, prosecuted for some alleged wrong doing.  Pathetic.

If you don’t like AOPA, join any one of the alphabet soup groups, pay the fee and insist that your outfit of choice at very least align with TAAAF or AOPA and add the support of their numbers to the one voice which says ENOUGH.  You may, alternatively, sit on your hands in the vain hope of preventing penetration.

Do not move along, buy a ticket, plenty to see from the stands. Much better view than from behind the bushes.  Courage and shuffle the cards.

Toot toot.

[Image: APH.jpg]

Hot off the Yaffa - Wink

Courtesy Oz Flying today:
Quote:

Aviation Groups meet with the Department in Canberra

27 May 2016

Two aviation lobby groups, the Australian Aviation Associations Forum (TAAAF) and the Aircraft Owners and Pilots Association (AOPA) met representative of the Department of Infrastructure and Transport and the Civil Aviation Safety Authority (CASA) in Canberra on Wednesday morning.

Both groups released policy papers in April, and were given the opportunity to reinforce their positions in separate meetings chaired by department Deputy Secretary Shane Carmody. Executive Director Airports and Aviation Pip Spence was also present.

The CASA representatives included DAS Mark Skidmore, Stakeholder Engagment Group Manager Rob Walker and Aviation Group Manager Graeme Crawford.

Honorary Chairman Greg Russell headed the TAAAF contingent and later described the meeting as "positive". TAAAF canvassed many issues raised in their 2016 policy, including regulatory reform, progress on the Forsyth reforms, and the CASA board and its relationship with the Director of Aviation Safety.

AOPA's presence was as part of the group who collaborated on Project Eureka, which included AVM (Retd) Gary Beck, AOPA President Marc De Stoop, AMROBA Chief Exective Ken Cannane and new AOPA board member Ben Morgan.

Details of the discussions are expected to remain confidential until the official minutes of both meetings are made public.

Read more at http://www.australianflying.com.au/lates...dQldqMT.99