Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Carmody Hour.
Cynical or Naïve? (tick one).

CASA “If you are a member of Australia’s aviation industry with a genuine interest in the future of aviation safety, then please go to the - etc.”

At the last BRB darts evening there was about 300 years of current, senior, ‘collective’ industry expertise across a fairly wide spectrum of disciplines sitting about, chatting to another 150 collective years of not so senior experience. From within the PAIN network I could, without raising a sweat, present double that number to any committee genuinely interested in sorting out the incredible tangle Australian aviation has been mired in for the last three decades. Few of those, if any will even bother to express an interest in working with CASA - again. (Oh, it’s all been done before children, this ain’t new).

Why? You may ask, why would they not lend that experience to the common good?

Well, ‘tis a simple enough answer; for most, after many years of proffering that good advice and been told to ‘pull their heads in’ or; seeing good operational and administrative sense denigrated; or, overturned by the existing CASA delegates; or, watching good resolutions diluted and wasted by ministerial incompetence, simply can’t be bothered. If CASA refused to see sense, listen to logic or even consider putting good advice into practice during the last 20 or so years, what’s going change now? For example.

Some of the purblind fools, still working for CASA have flatly refused (for various reasons) to hear or see the solid logic previously offered, so what’s going to be different this time? CASA have wasted a not so small fortune hiring those who have dug this pit we are all trapped in, and now, suddenly they expect those who have been denigrated and ignored for years to step in and sort it all out.

CEO Carmody has some bloody good folk working for him; but, they are out gunned and out numbered by the dross and pretenders. His agency problems are internal, ruthless surgery is required before any ‘external’ remedy can be invoked. Once the surgery is complete, the recovery can begin; without surgery the patient will simply linger, in a coma, until someone, out of kindness, pulls the plug and ends the misery.

Bonus gifts – hire Mike Smith; make Fawcett junior minister and watch things really change. Until then, enjoy the piss and wind sessions, waste more time, effort and money trying to keep the patient alive with Band aids, Asprin and company Kool Aid.  There you go, solid advice, gratis.

Toot toot.
Anyone who believes that yet more advice and industry advisors will turn General Aviation around and that this is real consultation must have little knowledge of the last 30 years.

The gall of CASA to ask for industry help again and again and again; its breathtaking, and dishonest because if CASA was genuine it would have real reforms in place right now. No experts are needed and to expect people just to be hanging around twiddling thumbs waiting to help poor old uneducated CASA with some common sense (what’s the pay?) is just too stupid for words.

Nothing will put GA back on a growth path without political heat from publicity and lobbying. Bring on Tamworth Mark 11 in Sydney and make it bigger than Ben Hur.
AVMED, independent instructors, LAME training and ASIC reforms, plain as the nose on your face. Then FAA rules or NZ.

I hear that the helicopter industry has jacked up and demanded that the new rules will be held off and they will only go by the old rules. Hope I hear correctly.
The Holy hand grenade of ‘expertise’.

Being older and slightly more ‘worldly’ I can see many pit-falls and traps in the Carmody call for industry ‘experts’. Now, the TV watching masses consider ol’ What’shizname  - him, from WA ‘an expert’. Ye gods, imagine being tarred with the same brush; or, having the audacity to declare yourself as ‘an expert’. There’ll only be two ‘types’ of expert applying for a gig with the CASA asap (Oxymoron noted? Anyone?); neither, I may add is of any practical value: whatsoever.

Some of us ain’t bad at herding a load of ‘tin’ from A to B; but it’s a mind-set. Drivers (airframe) ‘think’ a lot differently to bureaucrats, law makers, auditors, and the like. Mostly due to the need to ‘anticipate’ and to ‘fix’, as expediently as humanly possible, any  potential ‘problem’.

While I can (in a non cynical frame of mind) appreciate the Carmody moves; I fail to see the value in them. Take the ‘rules’ as an example; like most I can find my way about the hodgepodge - caravan sized rule set. I can, with some ease, identify the ridiculous, the profane and the plain old stupid. BUT, could I sit down, tomorrow and restructure the whole system? The short answer is NO. It is an enormous task. Now asking a dumb bunny to draft ‘legislation’ for flight crew licencing; or engineering; or anything else of significance is fraught with peril. The scribblings of the DB being drafted into ‘law’ by scribes who have absolutely NFI the spirit and intent of the scribblings, borders on insanity. Yet for almost as many years as I’ve had aircraft strapped to my arse; this is what has happened. Fact.

There are some awful clever folk lurking about the ‘corridors of power’. I’ve even met a couple, nice chaps – and; if explained to them ‘properly’ I’m bloody sure they could draft an ‘Act’ which would meet 87% of both the industry and public needs. So, with a ‘good’ act in place a sensible rule set would be able to follow along. Never get it all right – mission impossible – however; a simple, practical, useful rule set, which both encouraged and permitted operators to move away from ‘basic’ compliance and reduced the risk of ‘accidental’ (due complexity) ‘non-compliance’ would be a great thing.

Do you know, I’ve personally seen more good sense written ‘out’ of an Operations Manual to ‘satisfy’ a half witted FOI than I’ve ever seen written into one. Fact (demonstrable and provable).

The ‘expertise’ to do this this is not, Mr Carmody, to be found in the rank and file of this industry. Sure we can tell you exactly and precisely what is ‘wrong’ – but can we fix it? No Sir, we cannot. Now the Kiwi’s got smart and the rest of the world is desperately trying to follow suite. There are a few wrinkles in the NZ rules set which I, personally, would iron out – but that’s me. It is the ramifications and ‘blow-back’ of messing about with complex ‘law’ (writ to ensure safe prosecution) which causes the anxiety – well, that and bloody politicians, knee jerking and farting every time they may be seen to responsible. Make me laugh that crowd, take the money, take the perks, take the glory, take every damn thing on offer – except the responsibility. And that, dear Sir is where pilots, engineers and ATCO differ – we are always first and foremost to accept and acknowledge ‘our responsibility’. ‘We’ are conscious of it.

I wonder how 6D AGAD would like to be held criminally responsible, under strict liability for any minor infraction of the rules he is supposed to be bound by. Sorry Mr. C industry can tell you every little thing wrong – there may even be some ‘solutions’ but ‘reform’ of the regulations is a job for law makers who understand what is ‘needful’ , what is wasted and that which is purblind foolishness, folly and waste. Hire some wizards; sack the flying instructors and wannabe jet jocks – get some good auditors and a sane audit system; one which assists. Ah, WTF am I thinking – industry talking to CASA – (quiet chuckle). Endit….

Arrggh – empty glass, full bladder, enough waffle. Set ‘em up son and clean the board, we’ll play another round – when I get back (won’t be long)……….
Carmody's proof & pudding - Confused

Apparently old mate Carmody was un-impressed that the ongoing embuggerance of DJ was dragged, by out going Senator Nick, into the hot bed of CASA vs the RRAT committee in Senate Estimates -  Shy

Reference: Nick's final Estimates & tabled docs

Quote:Senator XENOPHON: Okay, but it seems, on the face of it, that it is having a bearing on the decisions made by CASA given that there was an email from Malcolm Campbell on 6 October 2017 to Fred van der Heide.

Or here at 09:35 -

...plus the docs were released under the FOI so technically they are available to anyone un-redacted if requested - or not... [Image: wink.gif]  ( see here: Vol 1 & Vol 2)

However the real 'proof in the pudding' (IMO) that Carmody Capers is nothing more than yet another bureaucratic footstool to yet another Ministerial WOFTAM, lies in the disturbing and overwhelming dichotomy of evidence that CC is talking the talk but not walking the walk on 'Just Culture': The Leopard (Carmody) reveals it's spots

Quote:"I am making it very clear to CASA staff and the aviation community that we will use information in the interests of safety and in a manner consistent with the 'just culture' principles reflected in our regulatory philosophy."

Go to the instruction on the limitations on the use of safety information.

For example one of the areas of effective administrative transparency and trust with Government (& its agencies like CASA) can be effectively displayed, is through compliance with the FOI Act 1982.

In CASA's case compliance with the FOI Act would appear to be extremely dubious.

Reference from the 27/11/17 Senate Estimates Hansard:
Quote:Senator XENOPHON: But there's a CASA disclosure log on the web, of documents, isn't there?

Mr Carmody : Yes, there is.

Senator XENOPHON: Does that relate to documents such as standard form recommendations or not?

Dr Aleck : I think under the FOI legislation there are some limitations about what goes on there. But anything that we're required to post publicly will be on there.

Senator XENOPHON: So there's no question that these documents that weren't posted publicly should have been posted publicly? Can you take that into account?

Dr Aleck : If they were within the category of documents that ought to have been identified then I—

Senator XENOPHON: If you could take that on notice.

Dr Aleck : I will, yes.

However referencing the CASA FOI disclosure log it would seem that CASA is anything but forthcoming and transparent under the FOI Act (note the recent update date):

Quote:..Information attached to, or referred to, in CASA's disclosure log will generally be removed after 12 months, unless the information has enduring public value.

CASA's Freedom of Information Disclosure

FOI Reference

Summary

Exemption 9 September 2016
F16/4491

Seeking access to risk assessments for the changes to CASR Part 101 to determine any possible risk or hazard it would present to current aviation activities and the general public.
-
Last updated: 22 August 2017

IMO it is absolutely not possible that there has be no documents released by CASA under the FOI, since 9 September 2016, that meet the FOI Act ToR for disclosure.

The next proof in the pudding for CC lies in the fact that the CASA Enforcement Manual is yet to be amended since January 2016 and still contains former DAS McComic's moniker in the preface:

Quote:Enforcement manual

Our enforcement manual outlines the policies and strategies we have in place for aviation safety compliance.

Director's preface

Revision history (last update January 2016)

Table of Contents

1. About this manual
  2. CASA's Enforcement Policy
  3. Initiating the Enforcement Process
  4. Compliance-Related Action
  5. Civil Action - Enforceable Voluntary Undertakings (EVUs)
  6. Administrative Action
  7. Administrative Action - Serious and Imminent Risk
  8. Infringement Notices (Administrative Fines)
  9. Voluntary Reporting - Aviation Self Reporting Scheme
  10. The Demerit Points Scheme
  11. Criminal Action - Prosecution
  12. Access
  13. Gathering Evidence and Handling Exhibits
  14. Note Taking
  15. Interviewing
  16. Detaining Aircraft
  17. Police Assistance
Complete manual

Last updated: 25 August 2017

Note again that the EM webpage recently updated and that CC in Estimates would appear to be cognisant of at least some of the contents contained within the CASA EM:

Quote:Senator XENOPHON: Some more than others! Time is limited. I wasn't in the room, but you said earlier that it's important that CASA applies rule in a consistent and fair manner in terms of enforcement.

Mr Carmody : That's correct.

Senator XENOPHON: You stand by that? I want to go to the issue of Dominic James, the pilot at the centre of the Pel-Air inquiry. You're very familiar with that inquiry. Mr James is at a point where he's ready to move from being copilot of a Falcon jet to pilot in command of a multicrew flight. And, by the way, I have permission from Mr James to raise these issues. There's a question as to whether CASA is imposing unreasonable requirements on him before they will permit him to be endorsed as a pilot in command. There's a standard form recommendation. You're familiar with the standard form recommendation?

Mr Carmody : Yes.

CHAIR: All right. You're well aware of the sensitivities, Senator Xenophon, so you have the call.

Senator XENOPHON: It is a sensitive issue. The standard form recommendation, as I understand it, is a document relating to adding references to a flight crew licence condition. Is that right?

Mr Carmody : In reality it's a recommendation that might have many functions. It's a way of combining information to a decision-maker like me, a recommendation for us to take a particular course of action. So it might not be licensing; it could be anything.

Senator XENOPHON: Sure, but the normal course is that for the document to be a valid document, it ought to be a signed document—is that right?

Mr Carmody : Yes, that would be reasonable.

Senator XENOPHON: That's in terms of the appropriateness. My understanding is that a recommendation was made, but it was not signed off. In other words, are you satisfied, and you may want to take this on notice, that the standard form recommendation that I have referred you to is appropriately executed so as to be a valid document?

Mr Carmody : I'd have to take it on notice. I haven't got the document. I don't know the date of the document.

Senator XENOPHON: So there's a question there: is the standard form recommendation incomplete? I asked you to take that on notice. If it is in some way incomplete or deficient, that may have some bearing on the decision-making process of CASA. It's a technical question, but could you take that on notice?

Mr Carmody : I'll take it on notice, but if it's a current standard form recommendation, then, as I said before, that's why I'd like to review it. The standard form recommendation that I assume underpins the original decision probably has not changed. Anyway, I'll take it on notice and have a look at it.

Senator XENOPHON: Okay, but there's a question as to the deficiency of that form. My concern is that an internal CASA email, which I've just referred to, reveals that an official is having regard to the draft ATSB report in his handling of Mr James' proficiency check. As a general principle, can you take that into regard? My understanding is that it breaches the Transport Safety Investigation Act?

Simply put the evidence presented by DAS Carmody at Senate Estimates would appear to directly contradict his 'just culture' instruction and protestations in defence of CASA's current  enforcement policy inflicted on industry stakeholders under his watch... Dodgy

MTF...P2 Cool
Comedy degenerates into Farce.

CHAIR: Some more than others!

Senator XENOPHON: Time is limited. I wasn't in the room, but you said earlier that it's important that CASA applies rule in a consistent and fair manner in terms of enforcement.

Mr Carmody That's correct.

Senator XENOPHON: You stand by that?

Bollocks - The disgusting enforcement manual still stands - untouched. Watch the Carmody visage 03:10. He’s good, but not that good; Carmody don’t like the smell of this – watch on.  NX flags what’s coming (IMO loosing some advantage). The Carmody visage returns to it’s normal state, as he slips into the comfort zone of:-

Mr Carmody : While you're doing that consistent with my previous testimony, it would be my preference not to deal with cases of individuals in front of the committee, but, if you so wish, I'm happy to respond.

NX ain’t even going to bother responding to that old wheeze. The ordinance is launched. What follows is pure theatre. NX puts Carmody on notice –08:09 - the Pel-Air disgrace is not done and dusted. How Carmody deals with this will be worth following; he has shown absolutely no interest, none whatsoever in ‘history’; even less in the antics of some of his employee’s.

The Carmody hour is starting to look, smell and feel like a replay of the usual CEO nonsense. Window dressing and words used to cover the retreat of those who richly deserve vilification to the Sleepy Hollow stronghold. Carmody makes it clear that ‘his’ idiots are a protected species. Can you imagine a honest toiler, bent on reform, going to work in a rats nest like Sydney. I can’t.

Which leads us, inevitably, to Canberra: where the creatures who inhabit the deep swamps of Sleepy Hollow reside; things like a MALIU. Special breed this – kept hidden away in dark places, fed on a diet of prime, massaged and carefully trimmed MOU. The Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) is highly nutritious and a little bit can be stretched a long, long way. But, the benefits of such foods are clearly demonstrated when a piece of difficult work, such as the CAIR 09/3 is required. This confection of evil intent was smuggled into the Senate Inquiry into the Pel-Air ditching. Casually, but deliberately hidden behind a whole bunch of other stultifying documents. Documents guaranteed to be missed by the glazed eyes of even the most interested ‘researchers’.

CAIR 09/3 the man who wrote it, the people who helped, the person who ‘authorised’ it and the man who approved it; one and all, are beneath our contempt. When combined with the Chambers report - there can be no shadow of doubt that pure evil holds sway.

Yet the Carmody real life performance, despite his ‘just culture’ posturing, indicates a stone wall of indifference to any of the real problems. – Thus far, he has failed to acknowledge, let alone actively address any single item of the Forsyth report; industry stated concerns regarding parts 61, 66 or even CAO 48.1 are fobbed off. His pathetic attitude to, and management of the ‘drone wars’, the indifference to the  safety state of the nations airports, all stack up to form one inescapable conclusion. The industry has, once again, been conned. Lulled into the faux peace that exists when a new man reigns over Sleepy Hollow. But don’t believe me; examine the facts yourself or, better yet, just watch the Hansard segment related to Pel-Air. Carmody will support the official line, despite evidence to the contrary. He will not even acknowledge the CASA part, let alone take steps to correct the aberrations. The simple fact that he allows Aleck so much ‘air time’ speaks volumes. Another CEO seduced by the hypnotic whispering of the creatures that dwell in Sleepy Hollow.

The question begging is how long is the industry going to wait, this time, before realising that the minister is Australia’s Greatest Aviation Disaster and that his selection of the CASA CEO reflects his pathetic, self serving ministry.

It is a safe bet that no reform of significance will eventuate from the current administration; it is an even safer bet that nothing of either an intrinsic or practical benefit will be gained in the short term. From medical certification through to air shows; from airports to enforcement, the expected reforms will be diluted and reworded, massaged to a fare-the-well and re emerge, years later, unchanged – in essence.

The Comedy hour is over; the performance weighed, measured and found wanting. If you have a grim, dark sense of humour then there’s a laugh or two in the latest production, the joke being industry being led down the same twisted pathways – again. Hell, another thirty years of this and I may find an ironic smile.

Toot – love window dressing – toot.
(11-07-2017, 05:15 AM)kharon Wrote: Comedy degenerates into Farce.

CHAIR: Some more than others!

Senator XENOPHON: Time is limited. I wasn't in the room, but you said earlier that it's important that CASA applies rule in a consistent and fair manner in terms of enforcement.

Mr Carmody That's correct.

Senator XENOPHON: You stand by that?

Bollocks - The disgusting enforcement manual still stands - untouched. Watch the Carmody visage 03:10. He’s good, but not that good; Carmody don’t like the smell of this – watch on.  NX flags what’s coming (IMO loosing some advantage). The Carmody visage returns to it’s normal state, as he slips into the comfort zone of:-

Mr Carmody : While you're doing that consistent with my previous testimony, it would be my preference not to deal with cases of individuals in front of the committee, but, if you so wish, I'm happy to respond.

NX ain’t even going to bother responding to that old wheeze. The ordinance is launched. What follows is pure theatre. NX puts Carmody on notice –08:09 - the Pel-Air disgrace is not done and dusted. How Carmody deals with this will be worth following; he has shown absolutely no interest, none whatsoever in ‘history’; even less in the antics of some of his employee’s.

The Carmody hour is starting to look, smell and feel like a replay of the usual CEO nonsense. Window dressing and words used to cover the retreat of those who richly deserve vilification to the Sleepy Hollow stronghold. Carmody makes it clear that ‘his’ idiots are a protected species. Can you imagine a honest toiler, bent on reform, going to work in a rats nest like Sydney. I can’t.

Which leads us, inevitably, to Canberra: where the creatures who inhabit the deep swamps of Sleepy Hollow reside; things like a MALIU. Special breed this – kept hidden away in dark places, fed on a diet of prime, massaged and carefully trimmed MOU. The Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) is highly nutritious and a little bit can be stretched a long, long way. But, the benefits of such foods are clearly demonstrated when a piece of difficult work, such as the CAIR 09/3 is required. This confection of evil intent was smuggled into the Senate Inquiry into the Pel-Air ditching. Casually, but deliberately hidden behind a whole bunch of other stultifying documents. Documents guaranteed to be missed by the glazed eyes of even the most interested ‘researchers’.

CAIR 09/3 the man who wrote it, the people who helped, the person who ‘authorised’ it and the man who approved it; one and all, are beneath our contempt. When combined with the Chambers report - there can be no shadow of doubt that pure evil holds sway.

Yet the Carmody real life performance, despite his ‘just culture’ posturing, indicates a stone wall of indifference to any of the real problems. – Thus far, he has failed to acknowledge, let alone actively address any single item of the Forsyth report; industry stated concerns regarding parts 61, 66 or even CAO 48.1 are fobbed off. His pathetic attitude to, and management of the ‘drone wars’, the indifference to the  safety state of the nations airports, all stack up to form one inescapable conclusion. The industry has, once again, been conned. Lulled into the faux peace that exists when a new man reigns over Sleepy Hollow. But don’t believe me; examine the facts yourself or, better yet, just watch the Hansard segment related to Pel-Air. Carmody will support the official line, despite evidence to the contrary. He will not even acknowledge the CASA part, let alone take steps to correct the aberrations. The simple fact that he allows Aleck so much ‘air time’ speaks volumes. Another CEO seduced by the hypnotic whispering of the creatures that dwell in Sleepy Hollow.

The question begging is how long is the industry going to wait, this time, before realising that the minister is Australia’s Greatest Aviation Disaster and that his selection of the CASA CEO reflects his pathetic, self serving ministry.

It is a safe bet that no reform of significance will eventuate from the current administration; it is an even safer bet that nothing of either an intrinsic or practical benefit will be gained in the short term. From medical certification through to air shows; from airports to enforcement, the expected reforms will be diluted and reworded, massaged to a fare-the-well and re emerge, years later, unchanged – in essence.

The Comedy hour is over; the performance weighed, measured and found wanting. If you have a grim, dark sense of humour then there’s a laugh or two in the latest production, the joke being industry being led down the same twisted pathways – again. Hell, another thirty years of this and I may find an ironic smile.

Toot – love window dressing – toot.

Well called "K", that was my take on the CASA Estimates spillover hearing as well... Dodgy

I was also fascinated to see that over on the UP Lead Balloon (aka Creampuff; aka CM) has cottoned onto the fact that CASA (now under Carmody) are still pursuing DJ after all this time.

Before the thread gets inevitably shut down, here are some posts of interest:   

Quote:Lead Balloon

I had refused to believe that even CASA was capable of such a disconnection from reality, but there it is in documents disclosed to a Senate Committee: An email dated Friday 6 October 2017 from some CASA jobsworth with the title “Certificate Team Manager”:

Quote:

Quote:We need to be careful in what is discussed with Dominic as the draft final report into the Westwind accident is protected under S32 of the TSA.

For [name redacted, but the numpties left Dominic’s name in the first sentence] to be asking “how his judgement in flight from on November 18 2009 is still under question” shows he still doesn’t understand the gravity of the situation and his part in it.

The draft final report makes it clearer that lacked good decision making skills at that time and since then CASA has been given no evidence that that has changed.

I do not want to keep [guess who] from returning to a command role but believe the only way we could be satisfied is to continue with the assessment as planned in the F20 simulator.

does not accept this from me so perhaps a response from a more senior manager may be appropriate.

8 years on, and they are still punishing this guy. 8 f*cking years.

Some jobsworth who evidently has no idea what section 32 of the Transport Safety Investigation Act does - but is sure s/he does know - presumes also to know “the only way” that “we” could be “satisfied” of something. (I wonder whether the jobsworth pondered whether Dominic might also have been given access to the draft report. After all, he might have some passing interest in the content.)

The poor jobsworth is desperately trying to let Dominic return to a command role, but - alas - the safety of air navigation demands otherwise. It must be a truly terrible dilemma for someone shouldering the burden of aviation safety.

The scary thing - the really scary thing - is that this jobsworth almost certainly believes s/he is doing the right thing.

Astonishing.

aroa

No astonishing Balloony, ...its their natural way.

Their brains are wired with their supreme knowledge that only WE make the world safe, only WE know whats best for you, and only we can keep you safe from crashing to earth.
That THEY do harm to others in their bastard processes does not compute with them at all eg Quadrio, James and many, many others.

Is the CAsA Empire starting down the road to being FCUKED ?? Well Rome fell in the end, so there is hope.

Here's some recent safety wisdom from the Cowards Castle/Fort Fumble.
Missed log book entry, strict liability criminal offence, now $10500 penalty.
Note: yr log book in yr flight bag or on the shelf at home, will NOT bring down an aircraft.
Smoking in an airliner toilet, which has in the past caused fires and threatens the lives of100s..penalty $900.

"Safety" is all. !!

And as for confusing, convoluted and bs answers in Senate Hearings..its all about CYA 101 thru 120. The KISS principle does not apply.
All power, all control of aviation but NO accountability, NO liability.

Aviation House is rotten with corrupted processes, cronyism, professional BS artists, (and artistes), and perverted legal acrobats.

Only the political process can wreak the long overdue needs and changes to save the Industry.

Slippery Pete

They’re still punishing this guy, WTF?

He’d have to be the LEAST likely Australian pilot to run out of fuel.

And remember from the Senate inquiry, they didn’t de-licence him... they just “temporarily suspended his privileges” until they could confirm any deficiencies had been rectified.

Is he having to once again go through an entire ATPL flight test? That would appear to me they have essentially cancelled his licence and are issuing a new one.

If the sim is only to demonstrate competency in fuel management, then I could buy the whole “privileges temporarily suspended”. It would be interesting to know the syllabus for this “test” and whether it lines up with the accident or if there’s a whole lot more added in there.

And didn’t he act within the CASA approved Company fuel policy, and plan the flight legally anyway? What particularly has changed? If I were doing his sim test and he planned within the regulatory and Company minimums (like he already did on the accident flight), aren’t I obligated to pass him?

And in said sim test, when he gets to PNR and the destination WX goes below alternate minima but still above landing minima, what should he do? Given that during the senate enquiry 3 CASA FOIs said you have to divert and 3 said you don’t, which option should he take?

The entire thing is an absolute mess.

thornbird

In the past 8 years Dom James has successfully completed no less than 23 separate checks of his competency. He was required to resit and pass the requirements for his CPL and IR rating. Resit all the ATPL subjects which he achieved with above 90% pass rate.The latest check of his flying skills he recently completed at Flight Safety completing a type rating on a Falcon 20.

The last piece of embuggerance by CAsA is that he complete a flight, to be observed by CAsA, in a Westwind or similar aircraft on an oceanic flight with a diversion at the PNR with a critical fuel scenario. What that is supposed to prove I have no idea because in my opinion and many others, the issue was not diversion related. By the time Dom was made aware the Norfolk weather had deteriorated there was no diversion available to him, therefore it was a weather related incident not a diversion incident, much the same as the Mildura event.

If you want an expert analysis of the Norfolk ditching I suggest you read a submission to the Senate Inquiry by Mr Richard Davies.

His submission is incredibly detailed and is somewhat large to post here so I have taken the liberty to highlight some of his conclusions, which support the prognosis that by the time the commander of the flight became aware that Met. conditions at Norfolk Island were below an acceptable level, a diversion to Noumea was very problematic and in all likelihood the flight would have ended up ditching in open water before reaching that safe haven. For those interested studying the entire submission a link to the Senate submissions;... (ref: #987)

Lead Balloon

So CASA reckons the world will be a safer place if Dominic ‘confesses’ that having complied with the company operations manual, having been given incomplete and misleading weather information, and having made a decision that 50% of polled FOIs said was legal and the subsequent ‘option’ being a certain ditching on the way to Noumea, the outcome was his ‘fault’.

Confess sinner! Confess to the safety gods! Thou’st cannot achieve our required level of perfection without confessing thy sins! We know that if thous’t are given command without confessing, thou will run out of fuel again!

The problem with Mr Davies’ submission is that it is based on facts and analysis of facts, thorn bird. This is about religion (really politics).

Also of interest off the UP thread I noted that Checkboard cribbed one of my archived YouTube vids, which ironically gives a perfect snapshot of just how nasty and vindictive the former DAS McComic was and how it came to be that after 8 long years DJ is still being embuggered by these cretins (now under Carmody's watch)... Dodgy  

That was then and this is now:

How times have changed - NOT! Angry
MTF...P2 Cool
Do you notice in the emails to Dominic James the following opening address?;
“Good morning Dominic”,

This disgusts me, this is disrespectful in the extreme, a perfect example of the overblown power ego from a body that is full of hubris and persists with the fiction of being capable and fair. But this is so typical of the Can’tberra disease, like the young lady in ATSB who condescendingly asked me not to make my incident report like “War and Peace” (Leo. Tolstoy, my copy 1315 pages).

[Image: IMG_20110221_122520.jpg]

The writer of such an email displays contempt by not opening with a  polite and respectful “Captain James”, or at the very least, “Mr. James”.

Captain Dominic James is a highly qualified pilot with an impressive CV that would be admired anywhere in the aviation world. Would anyone in Aviation Hearse be able to match his achievements?

Dear Mr. Carmody,

An open letter.

Your underlings have deceived you and attempted to deceive the aviation community.

You have stated to us that you base your decision making on evidence.

You have stated that enforcement will only apply to those who are reckless or wilfully disregard the rules. Perversely, and in complete contravention with this statement, you seem to support the the rules which have been progressively migrated into the criminal code and, inappropriately, made as strict liability thus denying the ability to argue mitigating circumstances. This means in law that no magistrate or judge can now consider if an act was wilful or reckless (knowingly or otherwise) for some alleged contravention.

You have stated that you are promoting within CASA “just culture” which means that you consider that CASA is best at deciding who will be punished and for what. It can be said that you consider yourself and CASA to be able to step around the system of justice that’s been safeguarding all of us since the adoption of the separation of powers. So now we have unfettered rule by by bureaucratic whim, interpretation and associated fee gouging to an extent never before.

No wonder General Aviation is collapsing at an accelerating pace, have you any idea how many flying schools have given up? Closed shop due to the impossible demands of Part 61 and your imperious FOIs who go about (sometimes in threes) stomping on the few left trying to make head or tails of your impractical, convoluted and counterproductive flying school rules.

The evidence is that CASA has acted with unconscionable malice against certain individuals and the aviation community hold you responsible for the outstanding injustices and implementation of the disastrous new rules.

Do your job or do a Skidmore.

Sandy Reith

P2 - Well said Sandy  Wink