The Sunday Brunch Gazette.
For Sale. (All reasonable offers considered).\

52,800 tonnes of steel – (52,000 long; or 58,200 short); either weigh, we, your government wish to be rid of the rusting pile of steel, currently spanning Sydney harbour. Now we do know that you, the public, paid for it, (several times) with tax and lotteries and tolls – but you see we ‘re-invested’ all that money and a little more of yours in a ‘you-beaut’ tunnel system. We made a small packet on that deal which we are re-investing in the future – well, our political future anyway.

It is most democratic that the old bridge be torn down and sold off – the gender confused want to paint it up as a rainbow; the indigenous crowd want to claim it and the returns as sacred; the average motorist just tries to avoid it unless they are carrying a bomb to destroy it. What we are saying is that we should just avoid all the conflicted ‘luv-it, hate – it, who only want it as a bargaining chip call and just be shut of the bloody thing forever. We are busy people, us in Australia’s second of three layers of government and we have important needs, big expenses and the threat of ‘an election’ (no Nancy - election) is always on the cards.

We always have your very best interests at heart, which is why we have decided to initiate a fact finding mission (at public expense) to do a two year study on the feasibility of using Russian cold war submarines to resolve the transport problems attached to the old, rusty, useless, slow bridge across the harbour. You won’t miss it and we need the doigh; and, the holiday and; the deceptive appearance that we, your elected government, are always and forever acting in your best interests.

If you think we are villains – think again; those who feed at the Canberra through are much more venal than we are. Check it out – do the math and then join one of the small minority groups favoured by all. Fair go for all? Sure, bid at the bridge auction, we’ll make sure your placated.

Vote 1 – for me (of course)………….L&K your local ‘member’ who you’ve never met.

“Two more here please” (aside) – it is going to be a long night; that’s an angry mob out there. “K” has the chair – I’m only here for the beer. Crickey – they’ve started with sheep pictures, not a good sign. Maybe I’ll just sit quietly here, at the bar, and wait a while, just until the fury dies down. A moments silence for a once great country should do the trick; it’s about all its worth at the moment.

[Image: Untitled%2B2.jpg]
[Image: DjzHJDDU8AMsvZn.jpg]

STOP THE LIE – UPDATE THE ACT: DICK SMITH | A&R Aviation Australia 
A&R Aviation Australia

Come into my parlour; said the spider to the fly.

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT_BDkrJn-VL4Ah-PCVgLl...W_UYIwEaBE]

Do not react – Act. Angered one day by some foolish thing which troubles ‘teens’ TOM (bless) took the time to sit and listen; I rattled on – he sat quietly until I had gotten it all off my chest. “You done now?, says he. “Yes” says I – “But I’ll -. “What?” says he. So, off I went again, long, loud and angry. At last, when I’d run out of steam, the familiar, well liked smile appeared. I knew; right there, right then, that I was re-acting. “Act or put it aside – but if you decide act, think of the consequences; and importantly, the cost to you and those affected.”

[Image: DjzLk5rU4AAKZVK.jpg]
Without warning: the startle factor | Flight Safety Australia
Flight Safety Australia

‘Do you have the patience to wait till your mud settles and the water is clear?  ―  Lao Tzu

In later years, the ‘art’ of transitioning from ‘re-action’ to action becomes part and parcel of flying an aircraft; one learns not to re-act, but to act, positively, correctly and with minimum consequence. It is the same with ‘fright’ – the first time ‘fear’ is allowed to enter the equation – that fear must be dealt with and quickly put aside. Fear and Reaction; two sinister, deadly, practiced killers. Pilots learn this at an early stage – nearly every professional airman I’ve met can always remember, in graphic detail – the time their immortality was lost. “ Shee-it you can get killed doing this stuff”. Gann (legend) remarks that pilots “wear courage as a comfortable belt” and I find, by and large, that this is true. There is a professional ‘need’ to face and stare down the ‘fear and reaction’ element - and get on with the job at hand; without external assistance. So much for my twiddle and ramble; I expect you want to know what the halfwit is on about. So. Con tu permiso e indulgencia - I shall attempt to clarify some deep thoughts.

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTEqveqHbQdcdmoEfo5ot5...VzPCoFLDrg]

“Anyone can do the job when things are going right. In this business we play for keeps.”Ernest K. Gann, Fate Is the Hunter  

Most folk, particularly those who have led sheltered lives, cocooned in a ‘bureaucratic’ haven, have never, not really, been ‘a feared’. They may have had the odd adrenalin rush, even sought it out – but they have never confronted stark fear at the same time as being responsible for an aircraft full of innocents. Set that aside, for it is not a situation they have been trained for and tested in. However, in the smug, snug, comfy world of politics, the things that ‘scare’ the pants off ‘em – like ‘the mystique’ surrounding aviation safety there can only be one response – they react. Ignorance and fear provide the rest. The first thing reached for is the old security blanket; for aviation ministers, this is the all knowing, wise, grown up voice and comforting CASA presence. By nature, idiots, the likes of Chester and McDonowt will scamper into the very parlour of the large, lethal, venal spider – for protection. There sits the CASA spider, offering every legal protective thread known to mankind (and spiders) and thus; the idiot miniscule is drawn into the web. Not for one second realising that the deeper they go, the more enmeshed they are. Safe, warm, cosy, protected and told there is nothing to worry about; – and there children, languishes our bemused ministerial fly.    

Fear and the promise of security have now completely robbed the miniscule of the ability to act, let alone think – such is the funk. He is now a captive. How many ministers have fallen into the silken, carefully spun web of deceit, of political protection and of do-nothing; (all will be well) without the spider’s whisper of it’s OK to pop out now; say only  this – but don’t stray too far.

It is time we all acted – we need to stop the procession of carefully tailored, impeccably manicured, craftily coiffured tailor’s dummy’s masquerading as responsible ministers of the crown. There is a mile of hard yards to dig if we are to put aviation back on a firm, commercially viable footing. To do this, the minster must act. “Ah, but how ?” wails the unfortunate incumbent. Well, ‘tis very, very simple. Put your brave boots on and have a cuppa with John Shape, David Forsyth, Mike Smith, Greg Vaughan, Ken Cannane, Ben Cook, Alan Strange; or, any one of the dozen, non CASA owned experts who actually know where the problems lay. Then, man up and take control of your portfolio – i.e. make it happen. It’s way past time to sack your CASA owned advice; get some real help.

Small cross-section of what's being talked about this week on the AP forum:

First from the Drone Wars thread:

Quote:Senate Drone Inquiry report released

And from the Senate thread:

Quote:Mount Gambier Hansard now out

Next from 4G's thread:

Quote:TICK..TOCK goes the 4G aviation clock

And from CASA meets the Press:

Quote:LMH 03/08/18: Yarrawonga on the market, CASA needs Ockham's Razor and trading flight for life.

& from BITN:

Quote:TICK TOCK GOES THE PFOS CLOCK

On airports:

Quote:Yin & Yang on airport security

The Alphabets:

Quote:The life of a GA scenic pilot. 

Following on from the above, here is a snapshot of what pilots have to deal with from day to day in the GA scenic flight industry sector.

Via news.com.au:

Quote: Wrote:‘You should love your job and shut your mouth’: Inside Australia’s aviation industry

ON THE surface, it looks like the coolest jobs in Australia but underneath, pilots are exhausted, unhappy and broke.

[b]Natalie Wolfe

[Image: a4813311b8477d5edf7e203d2d2a1072]
[/b]
A chopper flight over the Whitsundays. Picture: Jason HillSource:Supplied

Finally from accidents domestic:

Quote:Groundhog day - Fuel exhaustion. [Image: dodgy.gif]

And an addendum:

Quote:Point of difference: A captured Minister vs a Minister in charge?

Quote: Wrote:[Image: Truss.jpg]

Truss: Aviation Safety Regulation Review [Archive] - Page 5 - PPRuNe ...

PPRuNe Forums
Truss: Aviation Safety Regulation Review [Archive] - Page 5 - PPRuNe Forums

The following is a short but telling example of why IMO I believe our Minister of the Crown (like Truss in 2014 - above) is nothing more than a Muppet whose strings are being manipulated by the aviation safety bureaucracy.

There are reasons enough now, on forum, to call for the current minister to resign the portfolio – #1 being he’s useless and #2 being he’s captive to a CAS (D) A stooge. Why add to a growing list? In my business, if you can’t do the job properly, then you only slaughter a few innocents – in your job minister, you kill off an industry and those who should be able to rely on it for sustenance, mortgage, life style and their children’s future well being.

The first time an engine quits, on a dark and stormy, in the middle of the night, far from home and hearth – there is only one person who carries the load. The first time is survivable – provided you act – not react – and don’t ring your Mama for advice.

[Image: airplanethunderstorm.jpg]
Why Thunderstorms Are So Dangerous for Airliners
Jeff Wise

“In reference to flying through thunderstorms; "A pilot may earn his full pay for that year in less than two minutes. At the time of incident he would gladly return the entire amount for the privilege of being elsewhere.”  ― Ernest K. GannFate Is the Hunter.

Should you ever read my ramblings and wonder what is the fool banging on about – I refer you to the excellent posts the forum crew have provided this week. Read ‘em – read ‘em all; then as P7 said, all those years ago - “Act or put it aside – but if you decide act, think of the consequences; and importantly, the cost to you and those affected by your actions.”

[Image: e441de37c0f7272dd0475795c53c65d5.jpg]

“What's the use you learning to do right when it's troublesome to do right and ain't no trouble to do wrong, and the wages is just the same?” ― Mark Twain, The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn

But, don’t mind me - or mine. I can only look around my dinner table and see a quarter million collective flight hours, 200 odd years of collective, professional, operational experience and at least 150 years of collective, coal face ‘management’ of aviation matters under the auspices of the CASA spider. Not counting the ladies, there are only ten of us here – and WTD would we know, when a creature like Crawford holds sway, – with a firm grip on a very frightened, confused, confounded ministerial ear.

Aye well – (nod to Churchill) tomorrow, I’ll be sober; but you minister will be forever known as the little, (miniscule) country journalist fly, trapped in web of deceit, by the big money spider. No matter – tomorrow will do – won’t it?

Aye, tomorrow will arrive –In shāʾa llāh - as they say. Sorry P2 – not too much to play with this week; but – you have kindly provided the incumbent miniscule with much to consider. One can, in reality, truly, only lead a horse to water; elephants of course is a different matter altogether, as we all well know.

Selah…
The Ballard of Ringling Aerodrome.

Quote:Ringling, Ringling
Slippin' away
Only forty people, livin' there today
Streets are dusty and the bank has been torn down
It's a dyin' little town
Church windows broken
That place ain't been used in years
Jail don't have a sheriff or a cell
And electric trains they run by maybe once or twice a month
Easin' it on down to Mussel shell

Ringling, Ringling
Slippin' away
Only forty people livin' there today
'Cause the streets are dusty and the bank had been torn down
It's a dyin' little town

Been a fan of Jimmy Buffett for may a long year now. One of the best albums he ever made was ‘living and dying in ¾ time. There is a small, poignant  offering there –  It is the tale of a small town – clearly one that failed to realise that an airport was an essential item, not an incubus; or, even a way to screw some extra cash out of the air services which operated there. This is not just a mile and half of ‘road’ – it is an artery supplying the life blood a growing, prosperous town needs.

[Image: 220px-Sir_Winston_Churchill_-_19086236948.jpg]

After a time, civil servants tend to become no longer servants and no longer civil.

Mind you, as aviation continues its slow, but unpreventable descent into the tar-pits: to be discovered in millennia to come as a curiosity, the lack of airports, infrastructure to support aviation (like fuel pumps) will not trouble the current minister or his acolytes and advisors. At the current rate of extinction – and the historical increase in the CASA budget; there will be nothing to trouble those responsible. We’ll have robots who don’t get fatigued, aircraft pre programmed to self repair and the CASA rule books will be abandoned as there will be an utterly compliant ‘industry’ which will respond to the touch of a key board whim. Imagine a huge budget and nothing much to worry you. CASA nirvana, served up on a silver, ministerial donated, platter, by an ever grateful minister who thinks that his the best job in the world. Hell, the aircraft will probably all be vertical take –off ‘drone-like’ things which can silently depart the local cat-house and deposit the sated minster back home, in time to welcome the kids back from therapy. What a wonderful future government offers us. No matter, down by the river here, there will be a relic or two preserved, only to be illegally flown, by human hands (shock horror), on moon dark nights, when nobody is looking – is such is the ‘official’ version of the future?

[Image: DkW5YrWU0AEOXbv.jpg]

Although exactly what the future holds for this sun-burnt country ain’t clear. We have our Veterans getting shafted by slick bureaucrats, farmers with little to look forward to but the wrong end of a gun barrel, it’s a crying shame. Aircraft maintenance being done ‘off-shore’ and flying schools shutting down at a time when the world is short of trained pilots. – Particularly as we have, without a doubt the very best training conditions on the planet – bar none. We even used to train world class pilots with a well deserved reputation. Alas no longer, we are now even afraid of stalling an aircraft these days; (Mummy say’s it’s scary) cos if the GPS/Auto pilot quits – most of our ‘aviators are ducked. Thank you minister, thank you DoIT and bless all who toil, endlessly for ‘safety’ at CASA HQ. Great job; stellar. But enough of my ramblings; time for some brass tacks.

[Image: DkXLGdkU0AAlx7c.jpg]

“It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly native American criminal class except Congress.” ― Mark Twain.

I note the miniscule paid an ‘unscheduled’ visit to Essendon aerodrome, no press, no announcement, just popped in on the off chance? Or was it to try out the latest taxi through Macca’s on the main taxiway. Happy coincidence, a crew from Sharpe was there and a photo op presented. This wool blind idiot, masquerading as a minister needs to become familiar with Essendon, for as sure as eggs, the USA interests in the King Air fatality – fireball – will be paying a lot of attention. Particularly to the infringements (liberties) of the runway WIDTH limitations, who approved them; and how, in the seven hells, was a DFO allowed to happen within the promulgated minimum limitations? Aye, Essendon Fields alright, a bit like Flanders fields – blood soaked and fire burned – all in the name of progress. 

[Image: hd-composite-plane-crash-v2.jpg?strip=al...500&crop=1]

[Image: DkXCAfRU8AAcZqH.jpg]

[Image: YMEN-DFO.jpg]

“The more corrupt the state, the more numerous the laws.” ― Tacitus, The Annals of Imperial Rome

I’m staying away from matters aeronautical today. The problems aviation faces are government sanctioned, as is every other problem this country faces. Politicians, smooth talking, well dressed, manicured, Akubra wearing blow hard’s, with NDI of what it takes to farm, paying flying visits in the Gummint jet (tax payers drive now) to visit, for a nonce, farmers, who could last afford a new hat 10 years ago, and that bought from the pennies made by the Missus cleaning at the pub. Ministers with power being spoon fed ‘the right stuff’ by the experts who created the mess, with their own interests and rice bowls to protect. What happened to ‘government’ to the statesmen who actually gave a monkey’s? Where are the far seeing leaders and fearless policy makers? But, most of all I miss the ‘men’ who could dictate policy to the bureaucracy, not take dictation from it. They just seem to plough on into debt until the next ‘boom’ comes along, use that to catch up and keep the credit rating, then descend into the pit of debt once again. Aye, the lucky country indeed – farking lucky we can still send half a billion off shore while we have hungry, homeless folk sleeping rough and farmers at their wits end, and veterans tossed onto the scrap heap, humiliated, just to save a hundred thou. You do realize, that the Barrier Reef was here a long time before Cook bumped into it and will still be here long after we are gone.

[Image: GBRF-768x480.png]
GBRF Announce Plans To Spend $444 Million Painting All The Coral ...
The Betoota Advocate

There is no worse mistake in public leadership than to hold out false hopes soon to be swept away. The British people can face peril or misfortune with fortitude and buoyancy, but they bitterly resent being deceived or finding that those responsible for their affairs are themselves dwelling in a fool's paradise ― Winston S. Churchill.

Oh, bugger it all – One of my saddles is back from the Saddler; looks great, old, comfortable, but now repaired by skilled hands. Seems a shame to leave on the rack, it being such a nice day and all. Perhaps……………Slow fade - to a fine, hard bay, first cross  quarter horse being led out of the orchard gate, flanked by two four legged hooligans who know what comes next, a romp, a day away from this madness, fresh air and a shared muffin (or two), coffee from the flask by the river side.

[Image: stock-photo-one-man-with-his-horse-and-d...789936.jpg]
Selah..
Kharon;

“The more corrupt the state, the more numerous the laws.” ― Tacitus, The Annals of Imperial Rome

Ferryman, I will meet your Tacitus and raise you a Cicero;

“The Budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed, lest Rome will become bankrupt. People must again learn to work instead of living on public assistance." - Cicero, 55 BC

Maybe the parasitic Government could apply that rule to its Governance framework for Australia and start looking after its people, their way of life, their futures, their livelihoods, their businesses.

Back to the Ferrymans post, the Essendon clusterf#ck was caused by someone allowing an airport to become a shopping precinct. Surely it can’t be too hard to navigate through the bowels of the CAsA TRIM system to see who signed off the construction of the DFO??

TICK TOCK