Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Times up for Pel_air MkII
Conflict resolution, resolved?

There was a need to be careful counting the votes on one BRB Easter bash topic. The discussion was ‘interesting’ enough; but the conclusion was so unanimous, I determined that a full count was required before bringing the matter to Aunt Pru’s attention.

The question was simple enough – ‘Should Hood step aside until his part in the Pel-Air debacle is fully examined’? The massive perceived conflict of interest has been artistically glossed over; even the Estimates committee accepted Hood’s ‘statement’ relating to that, without demur. Given that Hood was the ‘decision maker’ and had to be fully aware of the entire spectrum of the Pel Air Norfolk investigation (if not, why not) to be able to make fair, reasoned, legal ‘decisions’. This, potentially at least, makes him appear, reasonably so, to at least be in the ‘perceived of conflicted interest’ arena – as head sherang ATSB.

Now, it seems passing strange that Hood is the ATSB boss and is in a position to ‘influence’ – directly or by inference his part in the shambles which emerged as a result of the Senate Norfolk Inquiry. Simply stating that ‘he is not involved’ in the long overdue Pel-Air report is not really good enough; is it?

A rock solid 87% call for resignation was not too much of a surprise (all things considered); but 100% support for Hood to step down during further, forensic investigation of the matter demanded a recount. No error: the deep distrust of the ATSB created as a result of not only Norfolk and Pel Air but of ‘other’ suspect reports during the period Hood was with CASA have created a vote of no confidence. Tragic really; but there it is.

The call to dismantle CASA and rehabilitate the ATSB is neither loud nor vocal; which is, once again, tragic as industry simply shrugs and says “what can you do?”

Aye, that’s just the way things are done. Clarity, probity ? Never heard of ‘em.

Toot toot.
For me, the most interesting part of the ‘Hood’ question was only briefly, if hotly, discussed. Experience on task. You see the pitiful ‘excuse’ for not utilising Smith as DAS was – too little experience of ‘corporate governance’. It seems Boyd and his bored crew, those who seem never to available for comment or response; deems this ‘experience’ to be significant to running an aviation safety agency. Smith can and importantly has managed ‘reformation’ and compliance programs as well as  'other' aviation governance things – all directly associated with doing ‘the job’. Any MBA can manage the corporate stuff, competent legal counsel can see to that end of business and I sure MM has a competent ‘advisor’ or two which could be loaned to assist with government matters. The only part of the job which cannot be ‘hired-in’ is the actual ability to ‘do’ the job required.

So how come Hoody is suddenly deemed sufficiently ‘corporately experienced’ enough to manage a whole department; his background suggests he has never been top dog in a big crew match; he sure as hell ain’t a qualified accident investigator. So how come one top job is gifted to one so wholly unqualified and inexperienced; yet a qualified, experienced man is told, IMO very rudely, DCM?

This whole pantomime is a classic cross between black humour and a French farce. A minister who can’t tie his own boot laces; a fat cat mandarin running CASA; two totally useless ‘boards’, an inexperienced, unqualified accident investigation top dog; and some kind of retard in charge of air traffic. Airports flogged off for pennies and billions wasted trying stave off an ICAO markdown. Please ICAO; downgrade this shambles; maybe then someone will actually get of their arse and get the right people, into the right jobs and sort this bloody mess out.

Thank you my dear; yes, we shall have another round and probably another after that; maybe then we can find a funny side to this. Right now, all that is wanted is a nose to punch on behalf of Mike Smith, who deserves an apology for shabby treatment. Actually, as I’m just now reminded, make that three deserving noses. Now Shoo and fetch the ale; my friends are indeed thirsty.
[Image: OlTom.jpg]

Smokescreens, Muppets & props - Part I  Dodgy  

Just to help fill a few gaps and join the dots on a some historical references, to hopefully help those with some form of memory loss, on why Ol'Tom, "K" and the BRB were unanimous in their response to the Hooded question. 

From the PAIN archives:
Quote:Dear Mr James

Please refer to attached letter providing notice of your licence
suspension pending examinations.

If you have any queries pertaining to this notification, please contact
Roger Chambers, CASA's Bankstown Manager or Mal Campbell Bankstown's
Team Leader Flying Operations in the first instance.

Regards

Greg

Greg Hood
Executive Manager
Operations Division
Civil Aviation Safety Authority

Letter to Mr Dominic John ~ NOTICE OF SUSPENSION OF COMMERCIAL PILOT (AEROPLANE) LICENCE dated 24 December 2009

& from a P9 'STEAM ON' post that had the Ferryman so incensed that he blogged it:
Quote:Steam On –

24Nov

90% Steam GD.

@ Post #414 the segment ‘Drones & Pel Air’ from 4:12 – Hoody gabbles and fluffs his way through a desperate attempt to shore up the notion that while he does have a significant conflict of interest in regard to the ATSB investigating the ATSB and his CASA position during the initial Norfolk Island ditching (a ’hem) ‘investigation’ he is well distanced and has his arse legally covered. He even tries to flog the notion that now the ATSB is ‘independent’, he too, by association, is independent, squeaky clean and that the ‘invisible Manning’ is not only unimpeachable, but is capable of dissecting the machinations of both CASA and ATSB during the initial investigation. We are expected to believe this of course, without question.  I call Bollocks.

[Image: 4.jpg]

Anyway; that aside Hood eventually brings the invisible manning to the microphone at 5:46.  The opening statement indicates that “a significant update” went on record – coincidentally – just the day before the Estimates hearing.  While Manning was waffling on; I did a quick check and, indeed there is ‘an update’ whether it can be deemed ‘significant’ or not, I’ll leave to your judgement. FWIW –  HERE.

“The ATSB recognises the importance of being able to demonstrate that the reopened investigation addresses identified areas for improvement with the original investigation. Given the size of the report and the complexity of many of the issues, it is difficult to predict how long the draft review and final report processes will take, although it is likely to extend beyond those typical of more routine investigations/reports. After the draft report review process is complete, the ATSB should have a better understanding of a more specific likely timing for the release of the final report.”

I have reached a point with this debacle where I can believe absolutely nothing. It is time to start calling for a judicial inquiry, with the AFP investigating the actions of all CASA and ATSB personnel involved; top to bottom, no hold barred.  That the initial investigation was grossly flawed has, to any reasonable person, been established beyond doubt. We know this – knew it in the beginning, the Senate inquiry confirmed it, the ASRR gave proof positive. Now after another three years have drifted by – we are to wait; again, for a rehash of the incident, while those who were deeply involved in the ‘aberration’ live happily in well paid, secure positions, with the best legal top cover money can buy.  Dom James can’t find a job, Karen Casey cannot work; the Doctor is facing a life of pain, Bernie Currall is dead and her husband a broken man.

I ask just what good is this shamelessly delayed second report is to provide; and, to whom? What benefit will it provide?  I say there is a screaming need for a criminal investigation, not more fluff, window dressing and snake oil salesmen peddling their dubious wares to an innocent public.

Aye, you can turn it down now GD; just wasting fuel going nowhere fast towards Perfidious Australis.

Toot – toot.

Still trolling the archives but you begin to get the picture on why the BRB is so suspect and overwhelmingly believe that the Hood position as Chief Commissioner of the ATSB, just like the Beaker re-appointment, is yet another politically motivated, cynical Muppet appointment.

MTF...P2

Ps Noting that Hoody is obliged to at least acknowledge the Ministerial SOE, the following is quoted from the Truss 2015 SOE:
Quote:•Implement the agreed recommendations of the Transportation Safety Board of Canada review of the ATSB in an effective and timely manner;

And from the TSBC recommendations:
Quote:Recommendation #9: The ATSB should modify the Commission report review process so that the Commission sees the report at a point in the investigation when deficiencies can be addressed, and the Commission's feedback is clearly communicated to staff and systematically addressed.

Hmm...wonder if the implied threat in Hood's review report of the Australian's FOI request is Hoody's attempt at complying with the bold part of recommendation #9...

Quote:Recommendation #10: The ATSB should undertake a review of the structure, role, and responsibilities of its Commission with a view to ensuring clearer accountability for timely and effective oversight of the ATSB's investigations and reports.
Hmm...R10 - How's that working out for you Greg?? Just saying.
(04-27-2017, 11:47 AM)Peetwo Wrote: [Image: OlTom.jpg]

Smokescreens, Muppets & props - Part I  Dodgy  

Just to help fill a few gaps and join the dots on a some historical references, to hopefully help those with some form of memory loss, on why Ol'Tom, "K" and the BRB were unanimous in their response to the Hooded question. 

From the PAIN archives:
Quote:Dear Mr James

Please refer to attached letter providing notice of your licence
suspension pending examinations.

If you have any queries pertaining to this notification, please contact
Roger Chambers, CASA's Bankstown Manager or Mal Campbell Bankstown's
Team Leader Flying Operations in the first instance.

Regards

Greg

Greg Hood
Executive Manager
Operations Division
Civil Aviation Safety Authority

Letter to Mr Dominic John ~ NOTICE OF SUSPENSION OF COMMERCIAL PILOT (AEROPLANE) LICENCE dated 24 December 2009

& from a P9 'STEAM ON' post that had the Ferryman so incensed that he blogged it:
Quote:Steam On –

24Nov

90% Steam GD.

@ Post #414 the segment ‘Drones & Pel Air’ from 4:12 – Hoody gabbles and fluffs his way through a desperate attempt to shore up the notion that while he does have a significant conflict of interest in regard to the ATSB investigating the ATSB and his CASA position during the initial Norfolk Island ditching (a ’hem) ‘investigation’ he is well distanced and has his arse legally covered. He even tries to flog the notion that now the ATSB is ‘independent’, he too, by association, is independent, squeaky clean and that the ‘invisible Manning’ is not only unimpeachable, but is capable of dissecting the machinations of both CASA and ATSB during the initial investigation. We are expected to believe this of course, without question.  I call Bollocks.

[Image: 4.jpg]

Anyway; that aside Hood eventually brings the invisible manning to the microphone at 5:46.  The opening statement indicates that “a significant update” went on record – coincidentally – just the day before the Estimates hearing.  While Manning was waffling on; I did a quick check and, indeed there is ‘an update’ whether it can be deemed ‘significant’ or not, I’ll leave to your judgement. FWIW –  HERE.

“The ATSB recognises the importance of being able to demonstrate that the reopened investigation addresses identified areas for improvement with the original investigation. Given the size of the report and the complexity of many of the issues, it is difficult to predict how long the draft review and final report processes will take, although it is likely to extend beyond those typical of more routine investigations/reports. After the draft report review process is complete, the ATSB should have a better understanding of a more specific likely timing for the release of the final report.”

I have reached a point with this debacle where I can believe absolutely nothing. It is time to start calling for a judicial inquiry, with the AFP investigating the actions of all CASA and ATSB personnel involved; top to bottom, no hold barred.  That the initial investigation was grossly flawed has, to any reasonable person, been established beyond doubt. We know this – knew it in the beginning, the Senate inquiry confirmed it, the ASRR gave proof positive. Now after another three years have drifted by – we are to wait; again, for a rehash of the incident, while those who were deeply involved in the ‘aberration’ live happily in well paid, secure positions, with the best legal top cover money can buy.  Dom James can’t find a job, Karen Casey cannot work; the Doctor is facing a life of pain, Bernie Currall is dead and her husband a broken man.

I ask just what good is this shamelessly delayed second report is to provide; and, to whom? What benefit will it provide?  I say there is a screaming need for a criminal investigation, not more fluff, window dressing and snake oil salesmen peddling their dubious wares to an innocent public.

Aye, you can turn it down now GD; just wasting fuel going nowhere fast towards Perfidious Australis.

Toot – toot.

Still trolling the archives but you begin to get the picture on why the BRB is so suspect and overwhelmingly believe that the Hood position as Chief Commissioner of the ATSB, just like the Beaker re-appointment, is yet another politically motivated, cynical Muppet appointment.

MTF...P2

Ps Noting that Hoody is obliged to at least acknowledge the Ministerial SOE, the following is quoted from the Truss 2015 SOE:
Quote:•Implement the agreed recommendations of the Transportation Safety Board of Canada review of the ATSB in an effective and timely manner;

And from the TSBC recommendations:
Quote:Recommendation #9: The ATSB should modify the Commission report review process so that the Commission sees the report at a point in the investigation when deficiencies can be addressed, and the Commission's feedback is clearly communicated to staff and systematically addressed.

Hmm...wonder if the implied threat in Hood's review report of the Australian's FOI request is Hoody's attempt at complying with the bold part of recommendation #9...

Quote:Recommendation #10: The ATSB should undertake a review of the structure, role, and responsibilities of its Commission with a view to ensuring clearer accountability for timely and effective oversight of the ATSB's investigations and reports.
Hmm...R10 - How's that working out for you Greg?? Just saying.

Pps Almost forgot, just another couple of props for the Hooded one... Big Grin

(04-27-2017, 06:50 AM)kharon Wrote: Lead Balloon on the UP; puts a crisp, concise full stop to another silly line of fuzzy logic.

[Image: saab340_prop.jpg]

"How many similar pictures have you seen published by ATSB, jonkster?

Post one link to one picture with ATSB staff holding a piece of aircraft, which piece may be related to an incident, published by the ATSB.

Just one link.

If those pictures were taken and made available to someone by the ATSB, you don't have to bother with 'conspiracy theories'. The organisation would, in that case, evidently be a complete basket case."

I liked it – FWTW. Choc frog.

&...

Quote:Aviation legend donates historic propeller

Australian aviation legend Peter Lloyd AC OBE MID today donated the propeller from a Supermarine Walrus aircraft to the Australian Transport Safety Bureau.

ATSB Chief Commissioner Greg Hood accepted the donation on behalf of the ATSB, saying it was a significant piece of Australian aviation history.

[Image: peterllyod_greghood.jpg?width=500&height...7777777777]
“The Supermarine Walrus was a British single-engine amphibious biplane reconnaissance aircraft first flown in 1933,” Mr Hood said.

“It was operated by the Fleet Air Arm and also served with the Royal Air Force (RAF), Royal Australian Air Force (RAAF), Royal New Zealand Navy (RNZN) and Royal New Zealand Air Force (RNZAF).

“It was the first British squadron-service aircraft to incorporate in one airframe a fully retractable main undercarriage, completely enclosed crew accommodation and all-metal fuselage.

Designed for use as a fleet spotter to be catapult launched from cruisers or battleships, the Walrus was later employed in a variety of other roles, most notably as a rescue aircraft for downed aircrew. It continued in service throughout the Second World War.”

Mr Hood said Peter Lloyd was a champion of aviation safety nationally and internationally for more than a half a century.

“He has made an indelible contribution to aviation safety through his position as President Emeritus and Life Member of Safeskies Australia,” Mr Hood said.

“I’d to thank Peter for his frank and fearless advice to myself and to successive Ministers and Governments on many occasions, and for his generosity in donating this significant piece of Australian aviation history.”

[Image: peterlloyd_propeller.jpg?width=500&heigh...6784260514]

Perhaps Hoody could add to his wall collection the REX SAAB prop - after the investigation is complete of course... Rolleyes
P2:

Hoody could add to his wall collection the REX SAAB prop - after the investigation is complete of course...

And maybe donate his impeccably clean green hi-vis shirt? Just don't DNA swab it. He could also donate his toga and perhaps 'correct the record' while he is at it, and donate the firmly padded footstool that he uses for kneeling on when paying homage to his lord and master Mr 6D Chester? Tosser

P9 - Addendum: Hood do seem to have a predilection for ‘tokens’, being delighted by ‘badges’ and those silly ‘courage’ wrist straps he insisted the ASA troops wear. Must be the thespian in him; can’t ‘play’ a part without the props, the costume, lights and grease paint. Whilst it may be mildly amusing to watch these personal quirks in private, I cannot help but think what the real accident investigation crowd think of it all. Make a comparison between the calm, quietly confident, professional, knowledgeable behaviour of the AMSA during  the highly suspect ‘hand-over’ of the 370 ‘search’; against the insecure drama of the Hood ‘wind-swept and interesting’ photo taken on the deck of the returned search vessel being an example. I bet he gets sea sick floating on an airbed on the heated indoor pool. Big Grin
Quote:The Fawcett factor on closing airport safety loops... [Image: huh.gif]
Peetwo Wrote: Wrote:Murky & Comardy thumb noses at RRAT airport QON  [Image: dodgy.gif]

[Image: r78_49_1301_724_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg]

"..Dear Senator Burston...nothing to see here, move along...L&Ks M&M.."

ATCB & FASA beyond redemption on Pelair cover-up

(ATCB - Australian Top Cover Bureau; & FASA - Fake Aviation Safety Authority)

In conjunction with the current disturbing tale (above) of apparent CASA disassociation on matters of public safety with airports, the following P7 quote & P9 post perfectly summarises the dire state of affairs within aviation safety administration in this country... Confused   
Quote:[Image: OlTom.jpg]
&..

Beauty - through rose tinted glasses.

This obscene tale of self-serving bureaucratic obfuscation, malfeasance, industry embuggerance and expensive trough gorging in aviation safety administration, is like a  $500+ million broken record relentlessly replaying the same track over and over again.. Sad   

However maybe there is a slight glimmer of hope, that is if a certain aviation savvy Senator Fawcett, with the support of the non-partisan Senate committee, has anything to say about it... Rolleyes    

Fawcett factor Part II

Remember this?

Australian Transport Safety Bureau Hansard 19/10/2015. 

Quote:Senator FAWCETT: There are a couple of points that come out of this. There is one about the trust of industry in the organisations that are supposed to be having an oversight around safety and regulation, but the other is a very real impact on people. At the time, the committee were concerned about what we saw as a breakdown in the relationship between you and CASA and the inadequacies of the report. Subsequent to the Canadian peer review, which was quite scathing about the fact that there were very clear systemic issues which were not addressed, people who have been affected by this accident—being the pilot involved and potentially the nurse—have sought some remedy for the situation they find themselves in as a result of this report. In the pilot's case, correspondence I have seen from him has indicated that that report has essentially finished his aviation career. My understanding is that even after the Canadian report, when he has sought an act of grace payment from the Department of Finance, ATSB's recommendation is: 'Don't pay it. It was his fault.' Can you confirm that was the case?

Mr Dolan : I recall that there was some information sought from the Department of Finance in relation to an act-of-grace payment. We provided the facts as we understood them. It is not a purpose of our organisation to assign blame, and we would not have said that to the Department of Finance.

Senator XENOPHON: Can you provide the advice that Senator Fawcett has asked you for?

Mr Dolan : I beg your pardon?

Senator XENOPHON: Can you table that advice?

Mr Dolan : I cannot see any reason why we should not, so I will obtain it and table it for the committee.

Good to his word (but not much else) Beaker did table the ATSB 'don't pay him' advice to the Dept of Finance. Unfortunately I missed it at the time because the tabling was buried at the tale end of the 82 page 08ATSB AQON document (which included a 60 page MH370 tender attachment)... Dodgy

Quote:[Image: Beaker-1.jpg][Image: Beaker-2.jpg]

Fair question by Senator X:
Quote:Senator XENOPHON: Mr Dolan, do you think it is inappropriate that you provide any opinion as to the appropriateness of an act-of-grace payment to the pilot involved, given your involvement in this particular matter, that there might be an issue of apprehended bias on your part and on the part of the ATSB, and that it really should be a matter that the ATSB either needs to get someone independent to comment on or not comment on it at all?

Given the DJ 'Act of Grace' application predated the October 2015 Supp Estimates hearing by  2 years, I always wondered why it was that Senator Fawcett chose that Estimates hearing to bring the matter up, recently I discovered why?

Copy of correspondence from Senator Fawcett to Senator Mathias Cormann, Minister for Finance 10 September 2014:
Quote:[Image: DF-1.jpg][Image: DF-2.jpg]

This correspondence was followed by another from DF in reply to correspondence from another useless, NFI Nationals MP and former Parliamentary Secretary to the Finance Minister Michael McCormack, who Mathias had handballed the matter to:
Quote:[Image: DF-3.jpg]

Which brings me to the advice of CASA, which in hindsight truly justifies Senator Fawcett's concerns and some.. Angry 

Much like the ATSB advice, bizarrely the CASA advice was not provided by the legal services division but by another conflicted (read NX Hansard text above) senior executive officer of CASA... Confused :

Quote:[Image: JA-1.jpg]

&.. last page:

[Image: JA-2.jpg]

{Note: 1) Dr A has sent the letter officially from the DAS office and that he was at the time apparently the 'Acting' DAS?? 
2) Dr A acknowledges that the Finance Dept request was sent nearly two months before.
3) 12 December 2014 - Correspondence from manager legal branch Joe Rule indicates that the CASA submission would be forwarded by him within the next week. Yet the submission was ultimately addressed by Dr A - err why?}     

Good to see the good Dr has moved on from the embarrassment of the diabolical PelAir cover-up inquiry - NOT... Dodgy

See HERE for the full text of one of the most vindictive, nasty documents from IMO the true centre of evil and instigator of FASA embuggerances... Angry

Finally (for now) the evil Dr, not happy with dancing all over and rejecting the DJ 'Act of Grace' payment, takes offence and attempts to 'correct the record' on an incorrect inference in the former Parliamentary Secretary's rejection letter:  
Quote:[Image: JA-3.jpg]

Nasty ducker isn't he - UDB! Dodgy

Do we need any further proof on who still controls the halls of Fort Fumble?? - all in the name of good aviation safety practice of course... Rolleyes

MTF I'm sure...P2 Tongue
P2;

Nasty ducker isn't he - UDB!

He is a piece of shit. Always has been and always will be.

Hey doc, grow a set of balls and come out from the comfort of your protective cocoon and go meet one of the hundreds of people you have screwed over the years mate and see what happens. You will have the intellect kicked out of you and spilt on the street.

Tick Tock you gutless weasel
The time has come, the Walrus said..

There are 50 documents contained within the FOI bundle returned to DJ which provide overwhelming evidence supporting the need for a judicial inquiry into the actions of CASA officers; and not only in relation to the Norfolk ditching. IMO the entire Sydney regional office should be openly investigated, without fear of favour allowing court standard evidence to decide whether or not criminal charges should be brought against several officers and those who directed those officers, sanctioned their actions and assisted in confounding a Senate committee during an inquiry.

Until the aberrations of Pel-Air, Airtex and Sky Master have been holistically examined and reparation for the untold damage done by the Sydney office is made, there can be no hope of forward progress for the GA sector. Everyone, from the tea lady to the top dogs “Know”, categorically, exactly, what occurred, who did what, to whom and why. Those same folk have been obliged to kow-tow to the requirements of the small group who, quite literally, hold the power of the life or death over their business. This ethos spreads downward from the top layers a CASA management, fully supported by a regulatory system which CASA have refused, for more than three decades to ‘reform’ in any meaningful way, there is no need to question why. This rule set, in the hands of people like McCormick, Aleck, Hood, Campbell and Chambers is a licence to do anything that pleases and manipulate any situation into one of their choosing – the Norfolk Island ditching event being a small, but classic, example of total power being totally, wilfully abused.

The Senate committee inquiring into that particular event must have realised this; as did the Senate committee which inquired into the Lockhart River event. The difference being that with Lockhart, the committee may have suspected the corruption of the ATSB, the Norfolk committee witnessed and proved that corruption – and were powerless to do anything about it. Aleck could have saved a lot of time and money by simply writing one of his famous letters stating “Yeah- and your Mother too Senator Fawcett”.

A Judicial inquiry allowing individual cases to be examined would not have to extend very far past perhaps five cases. In fact, looking at the PAIN archives, only three would suffice and, based on past experience, I’d say the total time required would amount to 10 working days. It would be reasonable to expect the results to trigger a real reform of the CASA, based on the rule of law, rather than individual preference, policy and manipulation of the same; always within the rules – as writ – by CASA.

Until the disgusting insidious elements who dare, with impunity to interfere with due process, manipulate the extremes of law and use ‘system’ to obtain predetermined outcome; there can be little hope of CASA being an asset to the aviation industry, who pay dearly for this 'servicing'.

The heartbreak is there for all to see; as is the anathema, the waste and the corruption; but, I say these are as nothing compared to the real shame; government power usurped, undermined and disregarded by a department charged with the safety of ‘aviation’. I don’t know how many more ministers, politicians and government inquiries it will take to prove Einstein’s theory on insanity totally correct.  

A gauntlet, thrown down in challenge. Let the current Senate committee (RRAT) select a panel of four; allocate two full working days and offer to accept and hear ‘in camera’ sworn statements relating to CASA officers. If that panel can walk away from that hearing and not move heaven and earth to ensure such aberrations never, ever occur again; then we are all doomed.

Your time and attention is demanded gentlemen, in the interests of the Australian tax paying public who fund not only your good selves but this corrupt edifice purporting to be the ‘watchdog’ of aviation safety. It is time this canker was lanced.

Selah
In one of the most famous orations of the Cold War period, former British Prime Minister Winston Churchill condemns the Soviet Union’s policies in Europe and declares, “From Stettin in the Baltic to Trieste in the Adriatic, an iron curtain has descended across the continent.”

"Nasty ducker isn't he - UDB!"

Gobbles old mate, he was after all a founding father of the infamous "Iron Ring" so its to be expected he'd be somewhat bent. The parallels to Winston's famous speech are obvious, the whole world ignored his warnings and the cold war began, our industry is now engaged in a "Cold War" with a capricious, self serving bureaucracy, our very survival in jeopardy, when one thinks how long the cold war ran before the "Iron Curtain" came down I fear our industry will be gone, dead and buried. Perhaps we need a "Trump" with the slogan "Lets make aviation great again" and the courage to put CAsA in its place.

I have always found it passing strange that given the ten's of thousands of regulations all carrying a criminal record, not one could be found to prosecute DJ. Even a panel of the "Experts" couldn't agree on a single breach to stitch him up with. One would think somewhere in the myriad of confusion we call regulations you'd think there was something, for sure farting on the flight deck just has to be in there somewhere. But no, nothing, and anyone who imagines, if there was, Smart Aleck and his cohorts wouldn't have jumped on it are dreaming.

McComic wanted a scalp and there is ample evidence that the so called independent ATSB was manipulated to provide him with that scalp. After that it was fairly simple to enlist his infamous expert attack dog "Wodger Wabbit" to compile and enforce an embuggerance regime. A career ending judgement inflicted with no evidence, no oversight and no right of appeal.

DJ was required to resit the ATPL theory exams, buggered if I know why, I don't think in thirty years of International long haul operations I ever used anything I learnt for ATPL in anger. A real expert from industry ascertained that DJ's fuel calculations, done on the fly, were fairly accurate, as opposed to the cock up made by a CASA expert. Maybe in the interests of safety the CASA "expert" should have been required to resit the exams as well.

DJ doggedly completed all Wodgers embuggerances up to the point where big bucks were required, which he didn't have, and of course Wodger knew full well he didn't. The suspension of his licence was cunningly lifted, with a catch 22, just in case DJ found the money to go to the federal court, he still couldn't use the licence without spending a small fortune, but Smart Aleck could put his hand on his heart if it did go to court and say "But Millud, we gave it back to him".
The AAT is a furfey, given CASA's reputation of being a far from model litigant, the costs are pretty much the same to front the AAT where evidence can be ignored and hearsay accepted, against the federal court where the rule of law applies, evidence MUST be examined and hearsay excluded.

DJ was hung out to dry because McComic demanded it, why? One can only surmise, but "Political donations" puts a whiff of suspicion on the whole process.

DJ perhaps was foolish, but he did nothing that hadn't been done by others, his own chief pilot included, The same CP who vanished under the protective wing of mother hen CASA after the event. Was that another initiative by Smart Aleck to close off potential embarrassment for CAsA?
Wiser and more experienced heads would probably have ignored commercial pressure and waited in Samoa, got proper rest, then proceeded in daylight, the patient was non critical so there was no imperative to proceed.
But all the holes in the Swiss cheese slotted into alignment, from commercial pressure, lack of oversight, poor recourses and dodgy forecasts until DJ found himself in the unenviable position of having no back door and a decision required to either divert to an alternate and arrive with no fuel, or proceed to destination with at least enough for multiple approaches.
He was damned if he did and damned if he didn't, one thing is for sure, there is no way he'd make that mistake again and regardless of CASA's punitive embuggerance he'd be a safer pilot today than he was then.
Norfolk can be a bitch of a place at times, its caught a lot of pilots out. They were lucky and got away with it, but they all learnt a valuable lesson but missed out on a midnight swim. There but for the grace of god go I.
Of ditchings, doctors and dross

I agree with Thornys sentiments entirely.
DJ, with all due respect, did make a mistake. In fact the bloke humbly admits that. But as Thorny said, all the holes lined up on the day.There were numerous causal factors, all conveniently ignored and for good reasons;

Simply put, the fallout from the ditching was always going to be political. It's the nature of the beast. So McComic HAD to find and offer up a sacrifice that ensured the Government remained clear of the train wreck. That sacrifice was DJ. DJ's trial and execution ensured the Pilot was to blame, and the innocent Government and it's responsible regulatory entity, CAsA, were as innocent as a 10 year old child bride.

People like the Witchdoctor are there for a reason. It's not by chance that he has held such a high position for a quarter of a century. It's no accident. It's no mistake. A heavily remunerated Government appointed intellect who can make sure that the Government is never brought in to question, never held responsible, never held to account, never determined to be complicit in a tragedy or travesty. You saw it, Dr Voodoo kyboshed a $1.5m payout to DJ at the stroke of a pen. No moral compass, no compassion, no conscience and no problem! With the click of a manipulated finger he saved his precious Government a lot of money! And that's just one example. There are others, many many others.

Aleck, the Sith Lord will retire very rich with a massive super fund while doing the overpaid talk circuit. His apprentice Anustasi, aka Flyingfiend, will take over the batten. Groomed, nurtured and trained to do the exact same thing - protect the Government at all cost. That is his role, his function, his position description.

The crooked and rigged Westminster system has been manipulated, styled and crafted over a century into what it is today. It didn't happen overnight. Democracy my ass. Try taking on CAsA or the ATO and then see who has the bigger dick. It's a no-brainer with a gaurenteed outcome - ours will always be the smallest. The system is rigged, the cards are stacked and the outcome always predetermined.

We are wasting our time boys, nothing will change. All we can do is keep smiling and have a little fun along the road to perdition.

Tick Tock
ATSB at Estimates - Shy

The ATSB performance at Estimates was curious... Huh

First we had Hoody declaring his love for his employees while curiously trying to gauge where he stood - i.e. PC correctness - in the Estimation of the good Senators... Big Grin

Next we had the Manning update to the PelAir re-investigation which surprisingly gave me some assurance that the final report may actually represent the true findings that should have been represented in the original report:

Interestingly Manning also gave some valuable context to the Senators questioning of the ATSB on the drone/RPAS safety debate:

Finally after the Hood PR blurb we actually get the new general manager for aviation investigations giving a factual update to the Essendon DFO accident investigation.. Wink :

MTF...P2 Cool
A cat on a hot tin roof -

There are a variety of ways to watch, digest and dissect the invaluable videoed Hansard. Often, that which appears ‘boring’ – skip – to the bit you have an interest in is useful; however it is possible to miss the subtle nuances offered by gritting your teeth and paying attention; bit like electrics or radio lectures at ground school.

Now then class; who has ever watched the actions of a cat facing a potential – not actual threat? Classic behaviour is the withdrawing of ‘self’ they sort of shrink as the body tension builds; poised on the point of fight of fly; bit like a turtle partially pulling its head in – just in case. I know, point, well to get to the point you need to watch two Hood ‘movies’ first; then take a look at Manning, Fawcett, Xenophon and Sterle. Watch Hood at his estimates debut, bold gestures, confident stance, dripping with the awful ‘courage’ badges; full of bounce and bullshit. No doubt fully infected by being ‘match-fit’  and ready ‘anytime – anyplace’ to rumble.

Then skip past Hood to the Invisible Manning – turn the sound off – just watch; there sits a man armed with integrity, unafraid and essentially telling the truth – as best he may – considering. Not poised for flight, no possibility of fight; just the calm, reasoned exchange with the committee one expects in response to an inquiry into a ‘difficult’ subject. The committee is ‘posed’ in a similar attitude .

Then, turn off the sound and watch the first 4:57 seconds as Hood attempts to waste the allocated time delivering a pointless history lesson. More of that later; but just for now watch Hood. The attitude is very different to that previously seen, like a cat under threat, he attempts to make himself smaller, hunched down over the prepared script and watching every move made by committee -.  By my count he raises his head to have a peep and try to gauge the threat 72 times in the 4:57 it takes to read the dribble brief; that’s once every 4 seconds (roughly). I was tempted to find a music overlay; maybe one day when I have the time I will.  (the Anvil chorus perhaps).  Mute the first Hood video but watch it  and play Bugs' at the same time - works for me; BIG SMILE.

The ‘opening remarks’ merit little attention, save that they wasted time and allowed Hood to ‘settle’ and gauge the mood, sniff the wind if you like. You will never see a better example of a cat caught out on a hot tin roof, praying the buzzards keep circling and desperately seeking a way out of the sun light, back to shadow.

This is not a leader of men; this is the reincarnation of Uriah Heep complete.  Arrogantly declaring himself to be ‘humbled’ by the crew he runs. Tosh...retch...

Aye, be it ever so humble there’s no one like a poison Gnome.

Anyway – must crack on, watch the rest of this interesting session; try to block as many escape paths as possible, before the pony-pooh overwhelms us all.

Toot - Heaves a great sigh, finds the bucket and clicks play - toot.
Endit – ATSB video - that’s a wrap.

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt."  (Lincoln or Twain) - No matter whoever said it– ‘tis good advice

The ‘invisible Manning’ does do it very well. Hood has the same effect as finger nails down a black-board, sets your nerves on edge – not Manning, to me at least, he presents you with that same, unshakeable certainty that the AMSA offers. Clearly, as an ex CP of Big Q he understands ‘culture’ and ‘system’ very well indeed; he does not (thankfully) spend time telling everyone that he does – it is part of the fabric, the waft and weave of a true professional. I’m only rambling on about it because it is so very refreshing and ‘relaxing’ to see a ‘pro’ at work. The contrast is stark; what a great pity it is that Manning or similar could not take over ATSB and make it shine again. We all used to be so vicariously ‘proud’ (for wont of better) of our ATSB; let’s hope the Manning influence can restore that faith.

That man McLeod had a similar effect From 2:28 last tape on the P2 post (Essendon & DFO)  – we see a calm, practical, qualified and professional discussion with Sen. Rice. Faith being restored  - until Hood, unable to resist being ‘delighted’ and ‘humble’ by  being associated with a professional, took that one fatal step too far, into the ridiculous. McLeod has no ‘confidence’ issues and no need of extraneous credit. It demeaned him; the man is employed as an expert, he spoke and acted as one – it is a given. No matter – despite Hood’s pointless, fatuous remarks, kudos to McLeod, nicely done Sir.    

Which only leaves Godly – gods bless him. Clearly bright, expert and professional 'tough'; much given to ‘testiculation’ (talking bollocks with his hands); nonetheless he manages to help Sterle cool down, which always a good thing. Best bit of Godly was at 7:03 (P2 recording 3 – Drones) when he stated flat out “not really” – straight, honest and professional. Bravo Mr G. but do try to get out a little more.

[Image: 250?cb=20160517051239]

[Image: download.jpg][Image: download.jpg][Image: download.jpg]
I am still drafting the BRB meeting and ‘video’ night notes – P7 was right – a long night indeed; but FWIW – unanimous Manning, McLeod and Godly all declared worthy of sharing an ale or two with. Thanks fellahs; nice to know you’re there, choc frogs all around.

Toot – Cheers (in absentia) - toot.
D-D-D-D-D-Darren?? - Your shout mate!

Quote:[Image: 96c237e3a4545d3c35d0c37b06f5de0a.jpg]

Reference: The raiders of the shrinking ATP trough.. [Image: dodgy.gif]

Perhaps this should really be a task for the Senate Estimates crew but at post #50 from the Comardy HR thread "K" asks some very interesting QON of 6D and the government that begins with trying to calculate the total cost to ATPs of the PelAir cover-up saga:

Quote:...Take the work of the inestimable Senate RRAT committee as an example. Gods alone know the total cost of the Pel-Air debacle (CASA and ATSB have NFI). Think about it- holistically; from splashdown to this day. Just for fun, let’s have a wee keek at the big ticket items on the bill.

Man hours for search and rescue.
ATSB on site investigation.
Vic police on site.
Salvage.
ATSB initial report –
CASA parallel investigation
Time to provide the ‘final’ report.
Legal cost of actions against James.
Man hours taken to reach Senate inquiry stage.
Cost of the extensive Senate inquiry – (not just Senators, but the whole operation).
Cost of salvage II and CVR analysis.
Cost of producing the Senate recommendations.
Cost of consultation before Truss ordered the ASRR.
Cost of the ASRR.
Cost of the Canadian 'peer' review.
Cost of report #2.

The above is not an extensive list; when you begin to break it down into component costs; the numbers, even on conservative ‘guesstimates’ very quickly become very scary.

The Australian people; knowingly or not, directly or indirectly, have invested, through third party proxy, without their express approval, in blind faith; a very significant sum in the Pel-Air ‘investigation’. To keep that investment viable; several millions more have been invested in a Canadian peer review and countless man hours expended in the ‘review’.

Carmody is, clearly, the ministerial choice as the new boss CASA; he is most certainly not the industry’s first choice. We may then safely assume he speaks with the ministers voice and is going to provide us with only departmentally vetted ministerial answers to our questions, strictly in the interests of ministerial protection...

Surely somewhere in the back offices of M&M's department there has to be some lowly bean counter who'd be able to put their hands on a file(s) containing such trivial expenses related to the Pelair cover-up... Huh  

However according to a rejected FOI request from Kaz Casey, such a compilation of tedious expenses does not exist:

Quote:[Image: KC-1.jpg]
[Image: KC-2.jpg]

Nor does it appear there has been any evidence of government concern for the considerable expenditure blowout and wasted resources on a prolonged (nearly 8 year) joint government agency ass covering exercise... Dodgy

MTF...P2 Cool
Board of waiting.

This Pel-Air imbroglio beats me hollow. The whole thing is just so wrong. How can a travesty like this not attract investigation of criminal intent? I’m serious.

Not that we will ever get anyone to take a serious look at the facts and circumstances, heaven forbid. But extensive research into both the Airtex and Pel Air treatment demands serious attention. The CASA office responsible has some bloody awkward questions to answer, which, answered honestly and proven would probably prove the definitive case for a complete overhaul of CASA; I digress. The point is, how can the individuals responsible be allowed to walk away Scot free, promoted, pardoned and pensioned, when others may be hauled into court or administratively punished for getting the number of paper clips wrong; or failing to fill out a flight deck log correctly? We have one case on the books where prosecution for fraud was begun, for exactly that.

Eight years; permission to hire Dom was granted. That makes one small concession, begrudged, against the dozen other acts of despicable embuggerance. When will we see this regulator reformed? Not soon, Carmody flatly refuses to acknowledge anything not of his watch. Skidmore tried the same thing, even called the ASRR ‘an opinion’, although those words sound more like Aleck than Skidmore. We still have to counter the Hood input to the Pel-Air story; it amazes me that the man who signed off on not only the DJ aberrations, but other equally wrong decisions can be allowed anywhere near the organisation responsible, in part for the Pel-Air travesty, let alone running the joint. The minister moves in strange and mysterious ways, the evil to perform.

Not even the threat of a wet lettuce leaf on the scope; there is a feather duster being brandished; but ‘tis an idle threat. I wonder though, if Chris Manning and Mike Smith were running the respective departments would there be a different result? That is a question to which we will never find an answer; the ‘ministers’ hand maidens are running the show; board assisted - and we let them.

Toot - What a shambles - toot.