Things that go bump in the night,

“for Civil Air to weigh in methinks”

Civil Air to actually take action on safety, professional or technical issues….

Are you serious?

ROTFALMAO!!!!!!

TICK TOCK goes Harfwit's Oz Aviation DOOMSDAY CLOCK?? -  Dodgy

In somewhat of an addendum to the "K" post above, via the Oz Aviation magazine today: https://australianaviation.com.au/2023/0...at-sydney/

Quote:ATSB PROBES APRIL NEAR MISS BETWEEN TWO QANTAS 737S AT SYDNEY

written by Jake Nelson | May 12, 2023

[Image: Victor-Pody-shot-this-Qantas-737-800-VH-VZA-770x431.jpg]

The ATSB is investigating a near miss at Sydney Airport that left two Qantas 737-800s (similar aircraft pictured) on a collision course last month.

The incident on 29 April occurred when a flight departing for Brisbane was cleared to take off on Sydney’s parallel runway 16L at the same time as a flight arriving from Queenstown was landing. Each plane was carrying around 170 passengers.

In its investigation summary, the ATSB said both VH-VZM, leaving for Brisbane, and VH-VZW, arriving from Queenstown, were using the same runway.

“It was reported that at 1747 local time, after a preceding flight had vacated runway 16L, the controller issued VH-VZM with a takeoff clearance, and there was a close proximity event with VH-VZW on approach,” the summary said.

“The controller reportedly instructed the flight crew of VH-VZW to conduct a missed approach and then vectored the aircraft on to a diverging track.”

A spokesperson for Qantas told The Australian that both aircraft were following directions from air traffic control. Airservices Australia is believed to be investigating the controller’s instructions to the two planes internally.

“As part of the investigation, the ATSB will interview involved parties, examine radar, radio and flight data recordings, obtain relevant information from the operator and air traffic service provider, and collect other evidence as required,” the ATSB said.

“A final report will be released at the conclusion of the investigation. Should a critical safety issue be identified during the course of the investigation, the ATSB will immediately notify relevant parties, so that appropriate safety action can be taken.”

Concerns have been growing for some time about staffing levels across Australia’s ATC network, with the professional body for Qantas pilots raising the alarm in January after a report in The Australian revealed 340 instances of “uncontrolled airspace” since June of 2022.

Additionally, in an internal Airservices report seen by the newspaper, the diversion from Sydney of a Qantas 787 in February — which left passengers stranded on the tarmac at Newcastle for seven hours, as the airport lacked adequate immigration facilities to process the incoming passengers from Santiago, Chile — was found to have resulted from three Sydney ATC staff being made to do the work of five, prompting an ATSB investigation.

Airservices told Australian Aviation last month that it had enough staff to man the entire network despite “availability issues”.

“Airservices employs more than 900 ATCs, 97 per cent of which are in operational roles. Airservices only requires about 800 ATCs to fully staff the ATC network,” said a spokesperson for Airservices in a statement.

“Rosters are tight in some areas as a component of the ATC workforce are currently unavailable for operational duties. These staff are either on long-term sick leave, parental leave, training for other ATC positions, or working on a project.”

A couple of OBS here: 1/ This incident occurred over 2 weeks ago, how is it that it has taken over 2 weeks for Popinjay to decide to investigate? 2/ Given this incident involves our national carrier Qantas, why hasn't there been any media briefing about this investigation from Popinjay; or one of his many Director's of Transport Safety??  Dodgy    

MTF...P2  Tongue

(05-12-2023, 07:08 PM)Gentle Wrote:  “for Civil Air to weigh in methinks”

Civil Air to actually take action on safety, professional or technical issues….

Are you serious?

ROTFALMAO!!!!!!

Ah but Gentle, T'was but a 'tongue in cheek' remark M'lud, a jibe, a jape. But, if flight departments and pilot unions and the ATCO's all stood up and said 'enough' then just maybe the sheer volume of Pony-Pooh being spread around to cover over the complete shambles ASA has created may diminish. That this shambles was created solely by Halfwit and his merry band cannot easily be gainsaid; the smug, glib answers and reliance on words like:-

“there was a change in regulation which resulted in determinations in respect of airspace of any class have no effect during any period in which ATS are not provided.”

simply show that ASA is ducking, CASA are weaving, both trying to wriggle off petards of their own making; those on which they should be hoisted..

Tongue in cheek, even funnier…. Wiping the tears from my eyes..

Had a look at the YSSY one 2 weeks ago on FR24, now I see what ATSB means by a “close proximity” event!

Rien ne va plus!

I don't have to look back through the log books to remember where and when three  similar events took place; they were experiences not easily forgotten. All, thankfully outside controlled airspace, but of serious concern at the time. Short final – 300' AGL the last; the 'other' aircraft taxied at a fast clip, entered the runway and got rolling. Trouble was the flight paths; - me going around; the other climbing away – under my track - kept the other 'under' my line of sight; with no idea of the other's departure track. High ground to the right; the other – turning left/ right/ straight ahead? Who knew – so, a small step to the right, then straight ahead and fingers crossed; all this with no radio contact. Bloody dangerous game to play.

I mention it only because the situation described at Sydney is at least three times more dangerous than my episode. The stakes incredibly high. The time was 17:47 LMT; there would be 'traffic' within the zone, probably a fair bit of it. Tower calls for overshoot ; which is fine – provided the escape path keeps the aircraft clear of 'other' traffic – threading the needle in a busy terminal area; with 300 knot closing speeds; better than 1500 fpm climb, with one coming up from underneath; definitely not a game for the feint of heart.

How long can 'luck' and reliance on remote possibility mathematics last? How much longer can ASA rely on weasel word escape clauses, statistics and dumb luck? Using Estimates records from a decade ago to the last 'session' as a reliable guide, it is crystal clear that the 'problems' within the ASA have been steadily increasing but have not been addressed, not in any meaningful way. The production of 'get-out-of-jail' cards has increased; but the coal face problems remain unattended. A major mid-air event may well remain a remote possibility; but perhaps not quite as remote as imagined. The string of events this last couple of years alone should serve as a clear warning.– Best bet – sort it out, now rather than after another event where luck and circumstance prevented a serious event – one that could not possibly be defined as an 'accident'.

Toot – toot...

Plus ça change! 

RE YSSY

Seen the radar (ADSB FR24) tapes, listened to the voice (LiveATC) tapes….

In a situation where Plan A becomes untenable, it is not good for Plan B to have both aircraft airborne above the same runway RWY 16L but…

The more things change the more they remain the same.

4 pilots dead at MNG, nothing changed…

150 dead when an RPT jet collides with another…many very intelligent people (ie experienced RPT pilots and controllers) on the other PRU think still nothing would happen…I agree.

“Sort it out”

WHO!

Maybe the NACC, because it is a form of corruption…

By Bell, Book and Candle.

Gentle - “Maybe the NACC, because it is a form of corruption…”

“When you distort truth it is harder for people to figure out what is real and what is spin. The most dangerous of all falsehoods is a slightly distorted truth”. (G C Lichtenberg).

It seems that we are constantly dealing with that 'slightly distorted truth'. Lawyers manage this type of thing very well; to 'shade' and 'colour' the rhetoric into the picture they wish to create; it is an art form and an accepted way of convincing a jury of 'guilt' or innocence'. Debates, financial expositions, scientific hypothesis, all often carry the same weighted argument, leaving those interested to decide which 'truth' they favour best.

All well and good when no one is hurt or opinion is divided – but when it comes to 'clear and present danger' – happening, for real, on your doorstep; then an accurate, honest unbiased form of action must be taken (right or wrong) to prevent serious injury or death. Not to do so is 'criminal' in the extreme.

So, when the alarum bells start ringing, sounding a clear warning that the possibility of two aircraft meeting in mid-air has increased; there is no place for a 'slightly' distorted response. The USA have experienced recently similar events and have taken steps to discover not only why, but how best to prevent a repeat.

Australia has not, as yet, had as many 'close call' events than the USA; but the increase is there now; the potential for more is certainly there; unattended and minimised to the point of dismissal. Are we seeing an immediate, positive response from ASA and CASA?– NO. They reach for the book; seeking legal wriggle room, diverting focus and scattering responsibility over a wide swathe. The sole purpose to protect those who have the ultimate responsibility for a clearly defined systematic failure.  'The 'books' will protect and the slightly distorted truth, as writ, will see them set free.

There will be a brief flicker of candle light as the Senate committee investigation plods through the 'inquiry'; this we have seen on numerous occasions; the report issued and the brief candle lighting the 'truth' is snuffed out and forgotten. Slightly distorted truth has, once again, trumped the 'reality' Ace.

Toot – toot.....

K,

Your words cover IT entirely….

Corruption…. a distortion of the truth for personal gain 

And by the distortion the human becomes a version of themselves that is dirty and unworthy of respect….

Even with just bumptious hubris at best to deliberate lie at worst, the humanity of the individual and society is sullied…

So it is obvious that Senate Estimates is just a pantomime for the masses, a game, a joke!

Even at its best with the non partisan times of Heffernan / Xenophon the Norfolk Island investigation didn’t really change anything, now with the obvious joke under the leadership of Sterle, why would anyone bother…

Perhaps it’s time to test the justice system?

RE: SY ATC, why is it that SY TWR still has not been upgraded to the “new” TWR system signed in late 2007?  16 years ago!  At our busiest airport in the country, obviously the operational and safety benefits that convinced the CEO at the time to sign the contract were baseless. Yet why have we spent hundreds of millions of dollars commissioning it at other major TWRs around the country…A deliberate distortion of the truth??? Hmmm And I’m not even talking of ONESKY!

Perhaps a list for a vary busy NACC?

Oh, Bad Gentle!– naughty.

Try not to get him going on Sterle and the Estimates pantomime; not now. Some buffoon has hi-jacked an e-mail address and is posting rubbish on face-whats-it, using it!. The mood is grim and ever so slightly 'cranky' (just a bit)...

The best efforts of the Rev. Forsyth and the 'non partisan' crew you mention WRT the Pel Air debacle just adds fuel to the flame; but mention of 'One-Sky' will definitely tip the bucket over; and I need the lad sanguine for tonight's dart match – Kiwi's again – always a hard fought rubber and, the BRB indaba beforehand.

Two of the great losses we have sustained are Fawcett and Forsyth. Fawcett publicly stated that he did not wish to 'branded' as 'the' aviation Senator (furry muff) and I believe the loss of Forsyth to industry advocacy was just tragic. However there it sits alongside of the loss of folk like Ben Cook, Peter Foley and many other good men and true. But, the real tragedy lays with what was/is foisted on 'aviation' in the shape of Halfwit, Hood, Spence, Hood, Popinjay, Carmody, Dolan, Chambers, Campbell, Worthington, Crawford, Martin, Weeks, Hood, Spence, Halfwit and his tame bean counter, - I could go on, and on. Click./. ./ did I mention Hood?

There's no mystery to any of this current airspace mess: between Halfwit and his accountant, Angus Who's-to-blame and the Frog 'consultants'– a small fortune went South when the One-Sky wet dream was 'thrilling' the village idiots with notions of glory. Any study of 'Estimates' (and budgets) : (never forget the money) clearly, unequivocally, and undeniably sees the great holes appearing in the ASA ability to perform design function, in expectation of dreams coming true. If it seems to be too good to be true – it probably ain't. Many of us do wonder how the coal face ATCO's stick it out and manage to do today the job they do, as best that they can, with what they've got. Bravo the boys and girls on the consoles; not their fault and they are not to be barked at, not under any circumstance.

But then– I still remember the days when an F27 was 'big iron' and Flight Service was functional. We never seemed to have the problems we see today - mind you 'full reporting' was active then (+/- 2 mins on Pos Rep - or a bollocking). OCTA was much easier then, no confusion – in or out of CTA – there was always someone at the end of 'the wire'. Passing Coffs southbound – FS would advise that WLM had delays for IFR and often (or on request) pass along the latest WLM ATIS or BoM Tafor. If you were 'regular' they may even advise that Fred was still holding, awaiting clearance. It is far removed from the situations we hear about today from flight crew. But again, the ATCO's are not to blame, they are as hidebound as the crews are. My last arrival and departures from both Melbourne and Brisbane almost made me pray for the day I could hang up the goggles and helmet; seems like nothing has improved since.  (i.e. Holding fuel {at an unknown altitude} equal to (or better than) flight fuel and weight constraints a problem, not to mention schedule delays due to needing fuel to continue etc.. .......

The Halfwit's focus on financial rather than operational excellence has played a big part in the messy, complex, lack of service to the travelling public and the operators bottom line – no reduction in fees for lack of service? Or blame for that lack due 'attitude' and arse covering - and bonus - and an inability to just declare its a mess; a big one.

Anyway – the BRB are assembled, I have an Ale, my darts and the Kid on a promise of best behaviour- no guarantees of course.

[Image: Untitled%2B2.jpg]

So tell me Holy Trinity….

Do you know what INTAS is?

(05-16-2023, 09:21 PM)Gentle Wrote:  So tell me Holy Trinity….

Do you know what INTAS is?

Integrated Tower Automation System - bought from the Canadians and worked tolerably well up to when I left the service. Sydney cannot be retro-fitted because it was designed and built as a peripheral tower. That is all the controllers stand next to the windows. Previous Towers were designed with a console set back from the windows, this allowed INTAS installations to be put in around them while the Tower continued to operate. I believe that thought was given to moving back to the old Sydney Tower to allow refurbishment or building a new Tower next to the current one. Neither has progressed because Airservices management's new toy is/are digital Towers. These are apparently cheaper to build because only the sensors, not the controllers, need to be at altitude. Australia's lack of high-speed digital transmission lines means, however, that the controllers still need to be very close to sensors. That could mean at ground level or a few hundred meters away. Given ASA's ability to finish any project, I would guess the can will continue to be kicked down the road until........

Houston - err nothing to see HERE??  -  Confused

Via ATSB Aviation REPCON:

Quote:Staffing levels at Sydney TCU

Reporter's deidentified concern
The ATSB has received a large number of REPCON reports from Air Traffic Controllers in the past 4 months. 15 of those reports have come from Sydney. By way of comparison, REPCON has received one report relating to Sydney in the past 5 years. 

Some comments from the reporters are below:

‘I write this report, because I can no longer sit back and watch the unsafe procedures and management practices taking place at Airservices Australia, particularly in the Sydney Terminal Control Unit (TCU).
When highlighted that rules and procedures are being broken, the rules and procedures are changed with the stroke of a pen, by unqualified people, to give the appearance of compliance. Any information contrary to Airservice’s (ASA's) desired result will be omitted and disregarded’.

‘After paying 20% of the staff to retire, now everything is back engineered to achieve a final result or timeframe predetermined by management, regardless of policy or procedures’

‘I have grave concerns as to the safety of Air Traffic Control operations within the Sydney TCU... I have been an unfortunate witness to the systematic degradation of service we can provide due to the continual cutting of locally based managers, cuts to the traffic manager roll and a reluctance to try and increase the intake of controllers into the TCU’

‘Our only way out of this mess is to get more staff.  Quite frankly I am apprehensive about continuing to work’

‘I'm writing out of severe concern at the way Air traffic control is being managed in Sydney, specifically Sydney RADAR Terminal Control Unit (SY TCU). As an experienced Air Traffic Controller, I find myself struggling to articulate the seriousness of the erosion of safety measures this most pre-eminent unit of professional Air Traffic Controllers are being made to accept’

‘ATC is severely understaffed. It’s been this way, but functional for years. However, the last 3 months have been particularly bad. The Retirement Incentive Scheme (RIS) that ASA offered last year has taken us to unprecedented levels of staffing and is pushing the system way beyond its limit..’

‘The company has eroded the collective experience level of the Controllers at Sydney by paying many to leave. This has left a significant void in our knowledge base. The list of misgivings is so long it's hard to articulate. It's overwhelming the way management is mitigating away safety standards and training requirements for staff.’ 

‘This is the worst position the company has been in since I have started, over [number] years ago. The only way to fix the problem is to train more staff.  Best case this is years away from being fixed. In the interim - I honestly have no idea. Probably permanently closing airspace over night or reducing operational hours or services. Then rebuild over the next 5 years, and slowly extend operational hours and services with the correct people. The alternative is to bumble along and hope no-one flies into each other. It's just a matter of time until we stop getting lucky’. 

‘I have grave concerns that on our present trajectory Airservices will become the next Boeing, with similarities between the [Boeing 737] MAX project and the current situation uncanny. It is only a matter of time before the current practices at Airservices result in a major aviation incident. As an experienced controller, I feel I am obliged to report these matters, as ASA's internal processes seem unwilling to hold themselves accountable... Eventually the holes in the cheese will line up, and I want to have a clear conscience, that I told someone of the unsafe practices Airservices has adopted.’

‘In my [number] years on the job I can’t think of a more dangerous situation than this’.
‘I implore the ATSB to send investigators to speak directly with Air Traffic Controllers (not management) to hear first-hand what the full and dangerous picture is’. 

‘I write to you because of the grave concerns I have in the way my organisation is operating in the TCU. I have over [number] years experience and cannot believe the risk taking that is occurring around me’

‘As a Controller with limited experience outside of Controlled Airspace, I have used the Traffic Manager during the nightshift to fill the gaps in my knowledge for the parts of the operation that we may see occasionally. I strongly voiced my concern as did many others. It fell on deaf ears and now I actively try to avoid working them if possible... I do not feel safe, nor do I think we would have the capability to deal with a major emergency in Sydney if the worst were to happen’. 

‘With the Traffic Manager role removed from the nightshift, we then got word of a potential pay out for some of Sydney's older and more experienced controllers to leave before the end of financial year 2021. Many voiced their concerns at the vital role this position plays in having knowledge of all aspects of the operation in Sydney and the devastation it would cause were the numbers to be halved. Our calls for concern were disregarded and we lost 75% of the traffic managers within 9 months. We have never recovered from this terrible decision and often run complex sequences with no supervision or guidance. Our fall back is to call a Melbourne supervisor who will advise us of the best call to make. This is a shocking way to run a safety critical operation. We have continually for the last 7 months relied upon a contingency scenario to cover the holes in supervision by requiring a controller to come off an active position to man the phones and change the roles required for differing Departures and Approach set ups. A terribly short training package was arranged to conduct OCA operations in lieu of a dedicated traffic manager. I do not feel comfortable in this position, I actively feel unsafe’

The majority of the reports have already been addressed in REPCONs RA2022-00053 and RA2022-00045; however, three separate reporters have recently raised a concern regarding the absence of a flow controller and traffic manager, and the subsequent downgrading of the risk assessment for that shift.

The reporters collectively state that on 5th December 2022, the situation arose where there was no flow controller after 20:30 due to being unable to replace a vacant shift that existed. There was also no evening traffic manager due to sickness. The reporters state that the absence of these positions is an unsafe scenario, but what made this specific shift particularly concerning, was the highly probable chance of thunderstorms in the Sydney basin.

One reporter states that the absence of a traffic manager during thunderstorms is a chaotic situation; but to have no flow controller as well, makes the situation unimaginable.

The reporters state that a risk assessment was created by the incoming traffic manager, who correctly assessed the risk as High, as this ‘really is the most dangerous situation that we could possibly experience in the Terminal Control Area (TMA)’.  Another controller relayed the seriousness of the situation to the senior manager located in Melbourne.  The reporters state that the risk assessment was subsequently reviewed in Melbourne, by managers that have no ratings or experience in air traffic control in Sydney, and the risk assessment was downgraded to a 'low' rating, basically concluding that the scenario was a non-event.

The reporters collectively claim that some of the ideas were to have a shift manager in Brisbane or Melbourne interact with the Maestro system to affect a runway change should it be required when there was no flow controller.  One reporter stated that 'this is a system people outside of Sydney have no training for and no idea of the grave implications of trying to do this without the understanding of what they're doing and the chaos that results. This is a situational tool that saves controllers during adverse weather occurrences, and if not done correctly will lead to incidents, or worse'. 

Another reporter stated that 'the fact that this was considered an option shows the complete lack of understanding of what occurs in the real-world environment and highlights the unqualified nature of the individuals signing off these risk assessments'. 

The reporters all state that the impending move of the TCU to Melbourne will only further exacerbate the critical staffing levels and will result in the loss of the limited experienced Sydney controllers that are left.

The reporters are seeking an urgent review of:
  • the air traffic control service that can be provided at Sydney based on the current staffing structure. 
  • the procedures, including risk assessments, associated with reduced staffing levels in the Sydney TCU; in particular, the absence of flow controllers and traffic managers.
Named party's response
Airservices appreciates the opportunity to respond to the concerns raised in the REPCON and provide the context regarding operations in the Sydney Terminal Control Unit (TCU).

Sydney TCU Staffing

The reports imply that the Sydney TCU does not have sufficient operational Air Traffic Controllers (ATC) to provide the necessary service. This is not correct. Our workforce plan states the mature number of ATCs for Sydney TCU is 47. Currently there are 47 operational ATCs employed at the Sydney TCU with up to 13 required to staff the TCU on any one shift.

Further, in June 2022, the Civil Aviation Safety Authority (CASA) undertook a surveillance event of the Sydney TCU and did not raise any findings against Civil Aviation Safety Regulation (CASR) 172.110 in relation to ATC staffing at the Sydney TCU. The CASA did raise a finding against CASR 172.115 in relation to supervisory personnel and we continue to work to address this, however, there have been a number of resignations and transfers that has affected the staffing on the Traffic Manager and Approach position. These staffing changes have not affected capacity for Airservices to provide safe and efficient air traffic management services at the Sydney TCU. These resignations and transfers are a normal part of roster management for Airservices and we are actively recruiting to backfill the departures.

Management of late-notice, unplanned absences

While Sydney TCU has the required number of staff, as with all organisations both within the aviation sector and broader economy, Airservices has experienced higher levels of staff unavailability due to COVID-19, influenza and other related sickness. This is resulting in occurrences of late-notice, unplanned absences that cannot be covered due to duty-time and other issues. As a result, there has been increased overtime shifts worked by some ATCs, but these are in line with pre-pandemic overtime hours worked.

When we are unable to cover the unplanned absences, we implement various traffic management procedures culminating in the TMA ATS Contingency Plan, ATS-CP-0085. The procedures allow the TCU to continue to provide services where the Traffic Manager/Shift Manager and/or Flow Controller is not available with different numbers of staff after implementing the mitigation actions contained within the procedures. These are safe and internationally recognised procedures that have been followed for many decades at the Sydney TCU without incident.

In addition to complying with the Contingency Plan In accordance the National ATS Administration Manual (NAAM), ATS-MAN-0013, requires that the Air Traffic Management (ATM) Director must complete a risk assessment where staff availability may result in a variation to the service level. In undertaking the risk assessment, the ATM Director may seek input from the Traffic Manager/Shift Manager. However, the responsibility for completion of the risk assessment sits with the ATM Director and the risk level associated with the situation determines who can accept the risk.

Each time the contingency Plan is activated there is a requirement to conduct a Post Activation Review (PAR). The PAR is used to identify areas for improvement in the procedures and the need to address unforeseen circumstances.

Airservices acknowledges the challenging environment in which we currently operate, however, the safety of air navigation is our primary consideration and we will not compromise on that. In situations where staff availability is reduced we enact robust procedures which ensure safety is maintained.

Regulator's response
CASA provided in response to RA2022-00045 that in June 2022, CASA conducted a surveillance event at the Sydney Terminal Control Unit (TCU) and identified number of safety observations and safety findings related to the reports with this REPCON. One finding raised was against Civil Aviation Safety Regulation (CASR) 172.115 in relation to supervisory personnel, which remains open.

Additionally, CASA has undertaken associated surveillance which identified the potential for issues with compliance with CASR 172.110 in relation to the obligation to have a sufficient number of suitably qualified and trained personnel to provide Air Traffic Services for each service it is approved to provide, CASA continues to work with the service provider on their planned actions to rectify non-compliance with CASR 172.115. 

CASA notes ATS-CP-0085 was amended by TLI_22_0308 in late December 2022.

MTF...P2  Tongue

(06-13-2023, 07:18 PM)Mr.Approach Wrote:  
(05-16-2023, 09:21 PM)Gentle Wrote:  So tell me Holy Trinity….

Gentle -"Do you know what INTAS is?"

Mr. A -"Integrated Tower Automation System - bought from the Canadians and worked tolerably well up to when I left the service. Sydney cannot be retro-fitted because it was designed and built as a peripheral tower. That is all the controllers stand next to the windows. Previous Towers were designed with a console set back from the windows, this allowed INTAS installations to be put in around them while the Tower continued to operate. I believe that thought was given to moving back to the old Sydney Tower to allow refurbishment or building a new Tower next to the current one. Neither has progressed because Airservices management's new toy is/are digital Towers. These are apparently cheaper to build because only the sensors, not the controllers, need to be at altitude. Australia's lack of high-speed digital transmission lines means, however, that the controllers still need to be very close to sensors. That could mean at ground level or a few hundred meters away. Given ASA's ability to finish any project, I would guess the can will continue to be kicked down the road until........

Of 'INTAS' and Frog Fraud.

Makes for a great crossword clue Gentle – the BRB had a bit of fun with it; but no clear winner on the exploration of INTAS - (I Never Talk Any Sense) – a tale of yet another whizz-bang system which on paper looked great; but as Mr A notes above:-

INTAS – but I am a master of testiculation. Therein lays the secret to understanding exactly what our Electric Blue Halfwit (EBH) is actually saying. Watch carefully as the hands begin their artistic flight patterns; its a dead set give away to an INTAS moment (or two). Senator pops a question – 'no brainer' – Halfwit rolls it over and the hands remain still. Next question – demands some nimble word work – up go the paws and off runs the mouth – classic demonstration.

“The art of talking complete bollocks whilst waving your arms around like a madman.”

There is another clue for those who prefer to listen for the subtle clues which indicate elegant obfuscation; this along with the testiculation, makes it Oh so simple to detect the pony-pooh being dribbled. Grammar – the abuse of the English language in spoken words is clearly a 'tell'. Once the EBH begins to skate on thin ice – any semblance of 'good grammar' departs and the hands (and eyebrow semaphore) begin to tell the true story.

When will the total damage bill be presented – from the great Frog fraud of 'One Sky' to the abysmal services being parsimoniously doled out; from the early retirement of experienced staff to the reluctance of those folk to return to work, even on a contract basis to assist with staff shortages; perhaps then some serious questions will asked and the answers prosecuted through to some semblance of fidelity? Gods know we could use some.

Mr. A - “Given ASA's ability to finish any project, I would guess the can will continue to be kicked down the road until........

Aye, that will be high price to pay for fiscal frolics, folly's – and some monstrous, unnecessary lines of pure moon-shine being allowed to slip past by Senate committee's where there is no political clout, much less control of any sort available. Will the EBH give a stuff? No, just shuffle off happily retired on the KPI bonus and salary and Super accrued from the degradation of what should be (it was paid for) a first world seamless system which safely separates the things which could actually 'go bump in the night'.

Toot – toot.

(06-14-2023, 07:32 AM)Peetwo Wrote:  Houston - err nothing to see HERE??  -  Confused

Via ATSB Aviation REPCON:

Peetwo - The staffing situation in Sydney TCU has been a problem for years. It probably started when Airservices moved all of the en-route sectors to Brisbane and Melbourne. This robbed Sydney TCU of the natural progression of controllers from their first rating and endorsement postions to terminal area positions requiring more experience and skill. (I.E. Airspace between 30 - 90 NM SYD, previously know as Arrivals  and the Approach/Departure controllers operating within SYD TCU 30NM of SYD airport.) Now Airservices has to fill the SYD TCU positions with transfers from outside Sydney. Frankly who would want to swap a pleasant control tower or modern Centre, such as Brisbane or Melbourne, for a long commute to an antedeluvian control centre at Australia's busiest airport? I think they still get paid a little more but that is probably eaten up by real estate prices and vehicle fuel bills. Airservices has tried to overcome this problem by dumbing down the management, (ATC qualifications no longer required) and/or minimising supervisory positions such as Traffic Manager (The TCU supervisor) and Flow Manager (an additional Approach Controller concentrating on manipulating aircraft routes and speeds before vectoring is required). The lack of these stress and workload relieving positions seems to be what the REPCONS are about. And, by the way do noy be fooled by Airservices comments "Our workforce plan states the mature number of ATCs for Sydney TCU is 47. Currently there are 47 operational ATCs employed at the Sydney TCU with up to 13 required to staff the TCU on any one shift." A workforce plan is simply that, a plan. It may not work very well, but it is still a plan, and easily quoted when controllers complain about staff numbers. Airservices plans are, of course, now written by and authorised by the same people who downgraded the local Risk Assessment from High to Low as quoted in one of the REPCONS. It is not how many in total are on the books, it is how many turn up on the day that matters. CASA's role should also be analysed. There are, I think, about three or four CASA ATC Inspectors, their job requires them to audit every civil ATC unit in Australia, about 25 I think. Unlike ATSB their reports are confidential and only shared with Airservices. So unless someone complains to ATSB, the public has no idea what the regulater is reporting about the service provider. To complete this arrangment, both CASA and Airservices are managed by the same Minister. At best the inspectors will do a snapshot audit at each major ATC unit once a year, others only once every two or even three years. On top of that they have to prepare a three-yearly review of Airservices to justify re-issuing the Part 172 authorisation. Can you imagine the Minister's CASA pulling the operating licence of the Minster's Airservices? No...me neither. So therein lies the relationship problem. Keep listening to the controllers. They are whistle-blowing and probably easily identified within the workforce. Civil Air can only provide some protection and ATSB is only as strong as it wants to be. Finally, what happens to a REPCON? First of all it is de-identified, see above, but then disclosed to CASA and Airservices for comment. ATSB, as far as I am aware, has no inspectors capable of investigating an ATC related issue. As far as I can tell, ATSB then moves onto the next Cessna crash, and like all the Aviation offices relies on that great safety mitigator, hope it doesn't happen here, to protect the Minister.

Quote:Staffing levels at Sydney TCU

Reporter's deidentified concern
The ATSB has received a large number of REPCON reports from Air Traffic Controllers in the past 4 months. 15 of those reports have come from Sydney. By way of comparison, REPCON has received one report relating to Sydney in the past 5 years. 

Some comments from the reporters are below:

‘I write this report, because I can no longer sit back and watch the unsafe procedures and management practices taking place at Airservices Australia, particularly in the Sydney Terminal Control Unit (TCU).
When highlighted that rules and procedures are being broken, the rules and procedures are changed with the stroke of a pen, by unqualified people, to give the appearance of compliance. Any information contrary to Airservice’s (ASA's) desired result will be omitted and disregarded’.

‘After paying 20% of the staff to retire, now everything is back engineered to achieve a final result or timeframe predetermined by management, regardless of policy or procedures’

‘I have grave concerns as to the safety of Air Traffic Control operations within the Sydney TCU... I have been an unfortunate witness to the systematic degradation of service we can provide due to the continual cutting of locally based managers, cuts to the traffic manager roll and a reluctance to try and increase the intake of controllers into the TCU’

‘Our only way out of this mess is to get more staff.  Quite frankly I am apprehensive about continuing to work’

‘I'm writing out of severe concern at the way Air traffic control is being managed in Sydney, specifically Sydney RADAR Terminal Control Unit (SY TCU). As an experienced Air Traffic Controller, I find myself struggling to articulate the seriousness of the erosion of safety measures this most pre-eminent unit of professional Air Traffic Controllers are being made to accept’

‘ATC is severely understaffed. It’s been this way, but functional for years. However, the last 3 months have been particularly bad. The Retirement Incentive Scheme (RIS) that ASA offered last year has taken us to unprecedented levels of staffing and is pushing the system way beyond its limit..’

‘The company has eroded the collective experience level of the Controllers at Sydney by paying many to leave. This has left a significant void in our knowledge base. The list of misgivings is so long it's hard to articulate. It's overwhelming the way management is mitigating away safety standards and training requirements for staff.’ 

‘This is the worst position the company has been in since I have started, over [number] years ago. The only way to fix the problem is to train more staff.  Best case this is years away from being fixed. In the interim - I honestly have no idea. Probably permanently closing airspace over night or reducing operational hours or services. Then rebuild over the next 5 years, and slowly extend operational hours and services with the correct people. The alternative is to bumble along and hope no-one flies into each other. It's just a matter of time until we stop getting lucky’. 

‘I have grave concerns that on our present trajectory Airservices will become the next Boeing, with similarities between the [Boeing 737] MAX project and the current situation uncanny. It is only a matter of time before the current practices at Airservices result in a major aviation incident. As an experienced controller, I feel I am obliged to report these matters, as ASA's internal processes seem unwilling to hold themselves accountable... Eventually the holes in the cheese will line up, and I want to have a clear conscience, that I told someone of the unsafe practices Airservices has adopted.’

‘In my [number] years on the job I can’t think of a more dangerous situation than this’.
‘I implore the ATSB to send investigators to speak directly with Air Traffic Controllers (not management) to hear first-hand what the full and dangerous picture is’. 

‘I write to you because of the grave concerns I have in the way my organisation is operating in the TCU. I have over [number] years experience and cannot believe the risk taking that is occurring around me’

‘As a Controller with limited experience outside of Controlled Airspace, I have used the Traffic Manager during the nightshift to fill the gaps in my knowledge for the parts of the operation that we may see occasionally. I strongly voiced my concern as did many others. It fell on deaf ears and now I actively try to avoid working them if possible... I do not feel safe, nor do I think we would have the capability to deal with a major emergency in Sydney if the worst were to happen’. 

‘With the Traffic Manager role removed from the nightshift, we then got word of a potential pay out for some of Sydney's older and more experienced controllers to leave before the end of financial year 2021. Many voiced their concerns at the vital role this position plays in having knowledge of all aspects of the operation in Sydney and the devastation it would cause were the numbers to be halved. Our calls for concern were disregarded and we lost 75% of the traffic managers within 9 months. We have never recovered from this terrible decision and often run complex sequences with no supervision or guidance. Our fall back is to call a Melbourne supervisor who will advise us of the best call to make. This is a shocking way to run a safety critical operation. We have continually for the last 7 months relied upon a contingency scenario to cover the holes in supervision by requiring a controller to come off an active position to man the phones and change the roles required for differing Departures and Approach set ups. A terribly short training package was arranged to conduct OCA operations in lieu of a dedicated traffic manager. I do not feel comfortable in this position, I actively feel unsafe’

The majority of the reports have already been addressed in REPCONs RA2022-00053 and RA2022-00045; however, three separate reporters have recently raised a concern regarding the absence of a flow controller and traffic manager, and the subsequent downgrading of the risk assessment for that shift.

The reporters collectively state that on 5th December 2022, the situation arose where there was no flow controller after 20:30 due to being unable to replace a vacant shift that existed. There was also no evening traffic manager due to sickness. The reporters state that the absence of these positions is an unsafe scenario, but what made this specific shift particularly concerning, was the highly probable chance of thunderstorms in the Sydney basin.

One reporter states that the absence of a traffic manager during thunderstorms is a chaotic situation; but to have no flow controller as well, makes the situation unimaginable.

The reporters state that a risk assessment was created by the incoming traffic manager, who correctly assessed the risk as High, as this ‘really is the most dangerous situation that we could possibly experience in the Terminal Control Area (TMA)’.  Another controller relayed the seriousness of the situation to the senior manager located in Melbourne.  The reporters state that the risk assessment was subsequently reviewed in Melbourne, by managers that have no ratings or experience in air traffic control in Sydney, and the risk assessment was downgraded to a 'low' rating, basically concluding that the scenario was a non-event.

The reporters collectively claim that some of the ideas were to have a shift manager in Brisbane or Melbourne interact with the Maestro system to affect a runway change should it be required when there was no flow controller.  One reporter stated that 'this is a system people outside of Sydney have no training for and no idea of the grave implications of trying to do this without the understanding of what they're doing and the chaos that results. This is a situational tool that saves controllers during adverse weather occurrences, and if not done correctly will lead to incidents, or worse'. 

Another reporter stated that 'the fact that this was considered an option shows the complete lack of understanding of what occurs in the real-world environment and highlights the unqualified nature of the individuals signing off these risk assessments'. 

The reporters all state that the impending move of the TCU to Melbourne will only further exacerbate the critical staffing levels and will result in the loss of the limited experienced Sydney controllers that are left.

The reporters are seeking an urgent review of:
  • the air traffic control service that can be provided at Sydney based on the current staffing structure. 
  • the procedures, including risk assessments, associated with reduced staffing levels in the Sydney TCU; in particular, the absence of flow controllers and traffic managers.
Named party's response
Airservices appreciates the opportunity to respond to the concerns raised in the REPCON and provide the context regarding operations in the Sydney Terminal Control Unit (TCU).

Sydney TCU Staffing

The reports imply that the Sydney TCU does not have sufficient operational Air Traffic Controllers (ATC) to provide the necessary service. This is not correct. Our workforce plan states the mature number of ATCs for Sydney TCU is 47. Currently there are 47 operational ATCs employed at the Sydney TCU with up to 13 required to staff the TCU on any one shift.

Further, in June 2022, the Civil Aviation Safety Authority (CASA) undertook a surveillance event of the Sydney TCU and did not raise any findings against Civil Aviation Safety Regulation (CASR) 172.110 in relation to ATC staffing at the Sydney TCU. The CASA did raise a finding against CASR 172.115 in relation to supervisory personnel and we continue to work to address this, however, there have been a number of resignations and transfers that has affected the staffing on the Traffic Manager and Approach position. These staffing changes have not affected capacity for Airservices to provide safe and efficient air traffic management services at the Sydney TCU. These resignations and transfers are a normal part of roster management for Airservices and we are actively recruiting to backfill the departures.

Management of late-notice, unplanned absences

While Sydney TCU has the required number of staff, as with all organisations both within the aviation sector and broader economy, Airservices has experienced higher levels of staff unavailability due to COVID-19, influenza and other related sickness. This is resulting in occurrences of late-notice, unplanned absences that cannot be covered due to duty-time and other issues. As a result, there has been increased overtime shifts worked by some ATCs, but these are in line with pre-pandemic overtime hours worked.

When we are unable to cover the unplanned absences, we implement various traffic management procedures culminating in the TMA ATS Contingency Plan, ATS-CP-0085. The procedures allow the TCU to continue to provide services where the Traffic Manager/Shift Manager and/or Flow Controller is not available with different numbers of staff after implementing the mitigation actions contained within the procedures. These are safe and internationally recognised procedures that have been followed for many decades at the Sydney TCU without incident.

In addition to complying with the Contingency Plan In accordance the National ATS Administration Manual (NAAM), ATS-MAN-0013, requires that the Air Traffic Management (ATM) Director must complete a risk assessment where staff availability may result in a variation to the service level. In undertaking the risk assessment, the ATM Director may seek input from the Traffic Manager/Shift Manager. However, the responsibility for completion of the risk assessment sits with the ATM Director and the risk level associated with the situation determines who can accept the risk.

Each time the contingency Plan is activated there is a requirement to conduct a Post Activation Review (PAR). The PAR is used to identify areas for improvement in the procedures and the need to address unforeseen circumstances.

Airservices acknowledges the challenging environment in which we currently operate, however, the safety of air navigation is our primary consideration and we will not compromise on that. In situations where staff availability is reduced we enact robust procedures which ensure safety is maintained.

Regulator's response
CASA provided in response to RA2022-00045 that in June 2022, CASA conducted a surveillance event at the Sydney Terminal Control Unit (TCU) and identified number of safety observations and safety findings related to the reports with this REPCON. One finding raised was against Civil Aviation Safety Regulation (CASR) 172.115 in relation to supervisory personnel, which remains open.

Additionally, CASA has undertaken associated surveillance which identified the potential for issues with compliance with CASR 172.110 in relation to the obligation to have a sufficient number of suitably qualified and trained personnel to provide Air Traffic Services for each service it is approved to provide, CASA continues to work with the service provider on their planned actions to rectify non-compliance with CASR 172.115. 

CASA notes ATS-CP-0085 was amended by TLI_22_0308 in late December 2022.

MTF...P2  Tongue

Sleight of hand -

And slightly nauseating – is the quick, slick way the ATCO REPCON parcel has been passed through the ASA, ATSB and CASA 'safety' oversight systems on it's way to basement storage; seamless, deceptive, disingenuous and very well practised.

A little perspective is needed - the underhand way ATSB have rolled off the top of these valid, factual concerns is disgusting; imagine if this situation happened in the real world – say at Qantas.

Turn up at 0500 to fly your shift – manager meets you at the bench - :Well mate, we are short of first officers today, you are operating the 737 single pilot; and you'll have to do your inspection as the engineer's taken a day off on stress leave. The bloody roof would be off the building in minutes. Bit of a long bow I realise but; to even contemplate conducting a safety sensitive operation without 'essential' crew is unthinkable. And yet it seems ASA is perfectly happy to allow a terminal like Sydney to continue struggling along with one hand tied behind. It is shameful and shambolic.

I have a question though;

“After paying 20% of the staff to retire, now everything is back engineered to achieve a final result or time-frame predetermined by management, regardless of policy or procedures.”

“ATC is severely understaffed. It’s been this way, but functional for years. However, the last 3 months have been particularly bad. The Retirement Incentive Scheme (RIS) that ASA offered last year has taken us to unprecedented levels of staffing and is pushing the system way beyond its limit”.

So, OK – many took the RIS and are probably bored rigid gardening or fishing to fill in the endless days (or not). Why are those not being offered some sort of incentive to return to work? Short of crew – talent available – short time needed to bring 'em back 'up-to-speed'. Would they come back if asked I wonder? IF as the EBH states they are 'training' new crew; then only 'short term' contracts would be needed to cover the gaps. Seems logical to me – but then I wonder just how deeply ASA is stuck in the financial 'do-do' – under the rule of the Bean counters?

Shut Sydney down one Friday afternoon for an hour – follow it up next Monday morning for another hour – then watch 'something' get done – in record time.  Declare it a CTAF and watch the feathers fly – or work to 'rule' for a day – that'll get a result...If not – why not?  Sometimes, you just have to stand on your diggings and fight back.

Toot – toot.....

Re AOPA etc I’m with Wombat….

But could I ever be so polite and suggest all readers to peruse:

PPRUNE and the thread on TIBA BN FIR 29/06/2023….

Wouldn’t possibly want to upset anyone with politeness and doing the wrong thing would we….??

Catherine The Great could do a Putin and send Ben off with three “Our Fathers” and two ‘Hail Marys”

Oh and did I mention politeness?

Class D-isgraceful airspace in Oz.

Disgraceful, disgusting, dangerous, deceptive, deceitful, deluded, etc. etc...

I reckon, about now would be a good time to take that overdue 'short' break' – leave the flight bag under the desk and go sailing, or skiing, or rock climbing, or fishing, or brushing up the golf game – do anything but strap on an aircraft and get involved in the ASA version of safe, sorted airspace.

Take a moment to read and consider the NOTAM posted on Pprune – HERE -.

It is about time for some serious, heavy weight government intervention and responsible action; starting by sacking the EBH and his Bean counter mate. Try and persuade some of those who took the redundancy to return – before something serious happens. Good luck and statistics only help when the deck is not stacked and, Lady Luck is a fickle mistress.  (Her what knocks about with Murphy) .

Toot – toot..- OFCOFL...........There........all better now?

(06-29-2023, 06:53 AM)Kharon Wrote:  Class D-isgraceful airspace in Oz.

Disgraceful, disgusting, dangerous, deceptive, deceitful, deluded, etc. etc...

I reckon, about now would be a good time to take that overdue 'short' break' – leave the flight bag under the desk and go sailing, or skiing, or rock climbing, or fishing, or brushing up the golf game – do anything but strap on an aircraft and get involved in the ASA version of safe, sorted airspace.

Take a moment to read and consider the NOTAM posted on Pprune – HERE -.

It is about time for some serious, heavy weight government intervention and responsible action; starting by sacking the EBH and his Bean counter mate. Try and persuade some of those who took the redundancy to return – before something serious happens. Good luck and statistics only help when the deck is not stacked and, Lady Luck is a fickle mistress.  (Her what knocks about with Murphy) .

Toot – toot..- OFCOFL...........There........all better now?

Using TCAS as a prime defence and as a consequence in the target level of safety is a disgrace and compromises all concepts and principles of air traffic control…

Fourth world country….

The Board and Executive of AsA should be summarily sacked for doing it…

The Board and Executive of CASA should be summarily sacked for allowing it…

The Board and Executive of ATSB should be summarily sacked for not identifying and highlighting the unmitigated risks….

May God forgive them for they know not what they’re doing…because no human will or ever should….

Via UP:

Quote:PoppaJo

Jetstar 400 SYD-OOL looks like it’s tracking to Fiji!

P2: Luv it -  Tongue

[quote pid="13717" dateline="1687989442"]
That Quote - Nope............Click. - Next.
[/quote]

It's called Regulatory Capture. This happens when the regulator becomes filled with people without a purpose other than to retire with the maximum pension. The pre-cursors are political acceptance of the status quo, or political fear of taking responsibility (see Yes, Minister), active whistle-blower suppression and a small band of self-interested career aviation bureaucrats who, generally, live in Canberra, have no personal skin in the game, and meet regularly and recommend their friends for Order of Australia.