Senate Estimates.

Sorry son; Senate, not for me.

The Estimates crew are, one and all, excellent fellows.  They did half the job very well indeed; and, before we disagree, they are, in truth, the only body capable of dealing with the disgusting shambles and international disgrace the Pel-Air inquiry created. BUT, they are trapped in treacle, process, and time is eroding the absolute urgency of the situation. How long has it been since ‘they’ (the Senators) issued their damning condemnation of the Pel-Air debacle and issued 30 odd recommendations?  How long has it been since the Rev. Forsyth and his crew set sail on a mission and returned with another 30 something recommendations?  How long has it been since the TSBC provided their ‘considered’ opinion under the very narrow ToR provided by ‘the ministry’?

The answer is too bloody long. There are many, many frustrating months of waiting between Estimates.  There is more time again between questions asked and questions obfuscated. There is however a minister, a CASA board, an ATSB board and a perfectly serviceable internal system for righting these wrongs.

Why is the Senate committee not asking the agencies themselves;  those that create and rejoice in the systematic problems, why the matters raised have not yet been resolved, internally?  Why is ATSB and CASA not scampering to prove, to the Seantors and industry that they have, indeed, changed their spots and are now good aviation citizens?  They should be, for they have, verily, screwed the pooch. Will they? Will they hell.

Duck it: all of it; drag the bloody minister in and toast his arse for while – despite all the protections built in – he is being paid to get ‘matters aeronautical’ sorted.  We pay him to fulfil that task; and, we pay him plenty – time the lazy, ignorant sod got weaving and sorted the mess.

Love your Senate crew, admire the work they have done – but the end results - just don’t (IMO) meet the weighed and measured criteria.  So, no breath holding for me.  Bismillah - Maa Kiske pass hai ? (Life is too short). {Selah}..

Yes; thank you. Two more here thanks, and best warn the bouncer, things may deteriorate soon.

The bouncer can relax.

I can agree with most of the points raised; and it is a fact of life that successive ‘ministers of the day’ have hidden behind the stainless steel walls and glass windows of the ‘departments’. There, they are fed a daily dose of reassuring ‘facts’ and glossy presentations describing how wonderfully well they are doing. He is also happy to be and easily convinced that the majority of ‘industry’ are quite happy with the current situation.  The ministers are never allowed to understand how the ‘happy-clappy’ world of aviation is managed with threat, retribution, audit, exemption and the ever present big stick of don’t complain or we’ll knock back every modification you apply for.

Where the Senate is brilliant is in getting the ‘message’ through peer group and party lines to the dunderhead in office; whereas the sweepings of society, such as the IOS have not got a snowflake in hells chance of influencing a minister.  I know the time allotted, the inevitable ‘on-notice’ delays and the momentum lost between sittings is frustrating; but it the best tool available; and, as you mention, they have managed, despite frustration, to do a very good job for industry.

It comes down to a choice of walking home in the rain or catching the local bus; no handy taxi’s after midnight.

So enough grumble – get ‘em in and I’ll set up the dart board. We can discuss things of import; now, did you hear the one about the young matron from Dallas, who used a dynamite stick, for a phallus,

Toot toot.

Courtesy Mike Chillit blog and Oz flying. Seems the world is waking up to the shambollic antics of the ATSB and its Beyond all Reason approach. Mike reflects an increasing 'world view' of the ATSB; which will, if not corrected reflect poorly on the government and Australia.

"Yes Dolan has been shown to be sub-serviant to more than one “un-named” public servant. It is interesting to be actually in the Senate room at the time of the #casa and #atsb questioning and hear some of the un-recorded comments. There is no doubt that when Mike Mrdak spoke directly to Dolan and McCormick on one occasion, when both Dolan and McCormick were digging themselves large holes in front of the Senators, everything came to a sudden stop, with Dolan and McCormick both taking the Questions on Notice. The QON answers were not even close to what the Senators were likely to get if the line of questioning continued for much longer."

Funny that!!

Amen and troo dat.

The Great Australian Blight

(P2, feel free to move to a more relevant thread. Tongue)

Murky is the Governments 'hit man'. He shut the show down when the ice being skated upon became too thin. Out comes the 'Get Out Of Jail Free QON Card' and the so the cycle of life continues. A stacked system, a political system designed with laws and rules purposefully crafted to be used when necessary to protect the government of the day.

However here is a fine example of a Politician with a different political mantra. This is an interesting topic that the Astute Sen X has jumped on regarding oil wells to be placed off the coast with no capacity to cap a severe leak (BP off the Florida Coast ring a bell?). IMO just another political big business decision based on $$$ only.

But Nick isn't worried about shutting out the truth and the facts, he isn't worried about his political career being targeted. He simply speaks the facts. Interestingly I also watched him interviewed on ABC where this oil well issue was raised, and Nick spoke in language that included terms such as 'risk' and 'consequence'. That is why aviation in Australia likes him so much, he actually understands relevant terms which exclude words such as 'protect votes' or 'brown paper bags'.

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/p...rry31.html

Keep up the good work Nick. We need you.

(10-02-2016, 08:38 AM)Gobbledock Wrote:  The Great Australian Blight

Murky is the Governments 'hit man'. He shut the show down when the ice being skated upon became too thin. Out comes the 'Get Out Of Jail Free QON Card' and the so the cycle of life continues. A stacked system, a political system designed with laws and rules purposefully crafted to be used when necessary to protect the government of the day.

However here is a fine example of a Politician with a different political mantra. This is an interesting topic that the Astute Sen X has jumped on regarding oil wells to be placed off the coast with no capacity to cap a severe leak (BP off the Florida Coast ring a bell?). IMO just another political big business decision based on $$$ only.

But Nick isn't worried about shutting out the truth and the facts, he isn't worried about his political career being targeted. He simply speaks the facts. Interestingly I also watched him interviewed on ABC where this oil well issue was raised, and Nick spoke in language that included terms such as 'risk' and 'consequence'. That is why aviation in Australia likes him so much, he actually understands relevant terms which exclude words such as 'protect votes' or 'brown paper bags'.

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/p...rry31.html
Quote:September 30 2016

Up to five weeks wait for emergency cap for controversial Great Australian Bight oil well plan

[Image: 1424755274714.jpg]

[url=http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/by/Tom-McIlroy-hverk][/url]Tom McIlroy

A 35-day delay to ship capping technology to Australia in the event of a major oil spill has prompted warnings the Great Australian Bight could suffer an environmental disaster to rival the 2010 Deepwater Horizon catastrophe.

Tourism, fisheries and environmental groups have pledged to continue to fight plans by oil giant BP to dig two new wells of up to two kilometres deep in waters off the South Australian coastline, saying the project risks pristine oceans and vulnerable marine life. 

Aussie oil spill worries

Memories of the Gulf of Mexico oil disaster have surfaced, with BP now wanting to drill in the Great Australian Bight. Vision courtesy Brad Leue Photography.
Environmental assessments presented to the federal government's offshore oil and gas regulator show in the event of a major oil spill from the wells, about 600 kilometres west of Port Lincoln and 350 kilometres south-west of Ceduna, BP plans to bring an oil well capping stack from Singapore, taking about five weeks. 

BP says buying a new capping stack to be based in the region would cost at least $15 million but require up to a year in construction and testing time, while a facility and experts to complete regular maintenance and testing are not currently available in Australia. 

[Image: 1475215234275.jpg] Fire boat response crews battle the blazing remnants of the offshore oil rig Deepwater Horizon, off Louisiana, in 2010.

The technology was developed after BP's Deepwater Horizon well in the Gulf of Mexico suffered a catastrophic blowout, causing 11 deaths and more than 4.9 million barrells of oil to hit marine habitats and shorelines across southern states. 
Greenpeace, the federal opposition and the Greens have questioned the project, while South Australian independent Nick Xenophon recently moved to have a Senate inquiry re-established. 

BP said in March exploration in the Great Australian Bight would provide a significant boost to the Australian economy and create jobs.

While a commercial discovery has yet to be made, the company estimates said the Bight could rival oil and gas output from the Bass Strait, Victoria's Gippsland and Western Australia's North West Shelf.

[Image: 1475215234275.jpg]
BP's cap and containment equipment in Singapore. Photo: supplied

One estimate said the potential scale could be more than 20 times the entire Australian oil production in 2014, while the company said it had improved technology, staff training and processes since Deepwater Horizon.

Warning against inadequate contingency plans in the event of a spill, the South Australian Oyster Growers Association said any large-scale spill could see local industries and businesses crippled.

Association executive officer Trudy McGowan said the industry wanted to work with BP as long as all available safety measures were put in place, including provisions for industry compensation in the event of a spill. 

Environmental modelling showed a 100 per cent chance of oil from a spill reaching the shoreline and making contact with oyster growing areas within 10 days, prompting calls for a capping stack to be based closer to the wells to cut down on the 35-day delay. 

"The capping stack was something that was developed after Deepwater Horizon so we believe it is something that has to be in place on site or at least off the coast of South Australia," she said.

"Their modelling shows it could spread, depending on whether it is a summer or winter blow, right round to Western Australia and into NSW. 

"Where we are, Kangaroo Island and along the Eyre Penninsula is the most important from our point of view and could be devastated."

More than 6500 boats were used in the Deepwater Horizon clean-up, while the association believes as few as 20 boats could be used in the event of a spill in the Bight due to the water's depth.

This week Australia's National Offshore Petroleum Safety and Environmental Management Authority requested more environmental information from BP about the controversial plan, delaying consideration of the full application until at least late October.

It is the third delay for the project's environmental plan, which has already been rejected twice.

Kangaroo Island mayor Peter Clements told the regulator his community and others on the coastline were opposed to drilling in the Bight.

"There is no level of risk capable of realistically including the oil and gas drilling plans for the Great Australian Bight," he said.  

"It is unchartered territory using unproven technology by companies that can and have abrogated their responsibility to Australia and the global community in the past."

Keep up the good work Nick. We need you.

(P2, feel free to move to a more relevant thread. Tongue ) - Nope Gobbles I think this is the perfect place for this discussion... Wink

A little ray sunshine.

Senator the Hon Fiona Nash has for a long while now been a great favourite of the IOS. The lady has been busy lately and in her modest, sensible way has breathed some hope of new life in regional aviation. Dubbo airport gets an upgrade, the RFDS to be a beneficiary; Parkes earmarked for economic development. Working with Michael McCormack, who seems to be a ‘quiet achiever’, the pair have been bringing some much needed sunshine to regional centres.

IMO, the money is a bonus and very handy; but, the real value is in the recognition of the benefit regional centres are to Australia and the big part they play in the future well being of this country. I say well done all concerned; good aviation news is always welcome (and a pleasant change).

We shall have to keep an eye on Master McCormack, he seems very able and gets things done in the quiet, common sense, practical way that folk in regional areas respond to and respect.

But Nash has ‘star’ quality and the appointment to the ministry a stroke of genius. This no nonsense lady is an asset to the country and her government. We all knew that, picked it ages ago: during an Estimates session when we were all introduced to ‘Pete - the pot plant’. I can’t seem to find that video clip, perhaps P2 could oblige; but it’s worth watching, just as an introduction to a very real asset to the parliament and the country.

Toot – colour me happy – toot.

(10-07-2016, 06:57 AM)kharon Wrote:  A little ray sunshine.

Senator the Hon Fiona Nash has for a long while now been a great favourite of the IOS. The lady has been busy lately and in her modest, sensible way has breathed some hope of new life in regional aviation. Dubbo airport gets an upgrade, the RFDS to be a beneficiary; Parkes earmarked for economic development. Working with Michael McCormack, who seems to be a ‘quiet achiever’, the pair have been bringing some much needed sunshine to regional centres.

IMO, the money is a bonus and very handy; but, the real value is in the recognition of the benefit regional centres are to Australia and the big part they play in the future well being of this country. I say well done all concerned; good aviation news is always welcome (and a pleasant change).

We shall have to keep an eye on Master McCormack, he seems very able and gets things done in the quiet, common sense, practical way that folk in regional areas respond to and respect.

But Nash has ‘star’ quality and the appointment to the ministry a stroke of genius. This no nonsense lady is an asset to the country and her government. We all knew that, picked it ages ago: during an Estimates session when we were all introduced to ‘Pete - the pot plant’. I can’t seem to find that video clip, perhaps P2 could oblige; but it’s worth watching, just as an introduction to a very real asset to the parliament and the country.

Toot – colour me happy – toot.

Here you go Ferryman... Wink

The case of the angry billet.

Warning - Sunday twiddle of no significance following.

There are times, brief moments in life, during which ‘harmony and happiness’ combine to form lasting memories; these times can provide the mind a quiet, balanced, contented state and the thought process is ‘balanced’. By that I mean there is no ‘external’ bias clouding the process.  No one can think rationally about ‘traffic’ when stuck in a snarl up, at dark o’clock, in the rain, hungry, tired and wanting simply to get home and sit a spell with a cold beer. Same-same in flight, the externals can and do make you forget why you love the trade so much.  Well, it is a ramble.

Just coming up on sunset; in the workshop, the birds are settling down, dogs spread about the floor enjoying the smells of sawdust and shavings; I’ve just put the finishing touches on the thing I made, from scratch and although it is not perfect; and, I can see the mistakes, it pleases me greatly. So, there I sit happy, enjoying a well earned beer, just for a nonce, before the inevitable clean up begins.  Tools away, bench brushed off and with the trusty broom I set about the floor.  But the off-cuts pile is first; I get the stove going for the small pieces which I cannot keep and start sorting. It is a fairly large pile and toward the middle there are two pieces of timber; one a beautifully cut end off a compound joint; that joint went together almost to perfection, the grain and the inherent nature of that piece assisting my efforts.  Then right next to it sits ‘that bastard bit’, aptly named. I knew. The moment I touched it, I knew – trouble; despite my misgivings and not wanting to waste stock I took it on.  I won the tussle in the end, but it cost a little blood, a little sweat and a little lost temper. The off-cut bears the marks of a botched attempt, caused by the rogue grain and an inherent resistance.  I shall have no regrets putting the piece into the stove.  I did say this is a ramble.

Anyway – I kept that bit for last, parked it on the bench, the workshop tidy, tools away, fresh ale, sun setting, wood smoke on the light breeze – I sat and looked at the errant piece for a moment; the words ‘its just like folk’ popped into my head, words from a master of his craft and wise old gentleman.  How true those first words of the statement ring now; then, ‘you just have to learn to how best to deal with it’.  What he meant was I had options; I could ignore the ‘bad bit’ cut it out and use the rest; leave it all behind for someone else to deal with; or, I could tackle it, make the mistakes and learn from them.  

I expect this all started with the work Fiona Nash and McCormack have been doing in Dubbo, Parkes and so on. Good solid timber, a workable grain, few knots and a good finish provide a billet which is useful and if handled correctly, becomes part of a larger creation of benefit. I can reach out and touch the satin smooth finish on the joint I cut from the ‘good wood’, it is a satisfying, happy thing.

Then I look at this poor thing on my bench; there is nothing that I can do with it which will make it of either use or ornament, I certainly cannot meld it seamlessly into anything I could make.  It reminds me of ATSB, ASA and CASA. If they were wood they would be useless to task; too twisted, too knotted; too contrary and by nature, impossible to change. It is the way they have grown, from root to bough. Like my angry billet, the best thing I can do for the rest of the project is cut the bad bit out and perhaps use what’s left to get a ‘proper’ job done.

I believe I shall keep my ‘angry billet’; as a reminder, and for an occasional smile at my own folly. It can live on the ‘healing shelf’ where I put things not to be discarded; in the vain hope that one day, I shall find a use for them.

Enough; Sunday is for second coffee and muffins. Closes stable door, whistles up dogs, ambles off in search of goodies.

Toot – toot.

(10-11-2016, 04:49 PM)thorn bird Wrote:  As reported on the ABC it would seem "The noble Art of Embuggerance" has had the desired effect.

Another casualty of CAsA's determination to stamp out whatever is left of the Aviation Industry, Jabiru is closing its engine manufacturing shop.

The embuggerance continues with an operator from the far north, who had the temerity to complain of their treatment, is now faced with a hostile Audit, and we all know where that is headed.

Dick Smith is again proved right, get out of the industry while you still have a shirt left.

What say you - Senator O'Sullivan? Qld happy with job loss, tax loss, export loss, business loss, credibility loss - No holidays in Montreal for those employees at government expense is there.  Shame, shame, shame.

[Image: Screen-Shot-2016-05-12-at-1.21.57-PM.png]

(10-11-2016, 04:54 PM)P7_TOM Wrote:  
(10-11-2016, 04:49 PM)thorn bird Wrote:  As reported on the ABC it would seem "The noble Art of Embuggerance" has had the desired effect.

Another casualty of CAsA's determination to stamp out whatever is left of the Aviation Industry, Jabiru is closing its engine manufacturing shop.

The embuggerance continues with an operator from the far north, who had the temerity to complain of their treatment, is now faced with a hostile Audit, and we all know where that is headed.

Dick Smith is again proved right, get out of the industry while you still have a shirt left.

What say you - Senator O'Sullivan? Qld happy with job loss, tax loss, export loss, business loss, credibility loss - No holidays in Montreal for those employees at government expense is there.  Shame, shame, shame.

[Image: Screen-Shot-2016-05-12-at-1.21.57-PM.png]

thorny - ..Another casualty of CAsA's determination to stamp out whatever is left of the Aviation Industry, Jabiru is closing its engine manufacturing shop...

Slight correction to the TB statement, courtesy the ABC:

Quote:Aviation manufacturer closure a sign of the times, industry insider says

By Kallee Buchanan

Posted Mon at 3:42pmMon 10 Oct 2016, 3:42pm
[Image: 7919042-3x2-340x227.jpg]
Photo:
The CAMit factory in Bundaberg was the largest of its kind in the region. (ABC Rural: Kallee Buchanan)

The closure of an aviation manufacturer in Bundaberg has left the fate of about 20 workers unknown.

CAMit was established in 1986 and was the largest factory of its kind in the region.
It used computer-aided manufacturing to build aero engines and parts that were used in recreational aircraft such as Jabiru, which are also made in Bundaberg.

A company spokeswoman confirmed the closure, but declined to comment further, saying it was a "very sad day".

While it was not clear why the business folded, industry insiders said it was a sign of how difficult it was to be in manufacturing in Australia at the moment.

Closure shows challenges manufacturers face

Jabiru Aircraft business manager Susan Woods said many in aviation had faced challenging trading conditions.

"Because we have such a small size to our market, unlike the motor industry and other industries, our small size means that we have to just do everything very carefully," she said.

"Particularly the aircraft that we have are boys' toys, so they are definitely a luxury item.

Quote:"As soon as there is any downturn in the economy, they're one of the first things to drop off the market."

Ms Woods said there was an enormous amount of competition in Australia, with a lot of foreign imports coming into the country.

"That also makes a lot of challenges for us," she said.

Ms Woods said Jabiru would have to transition to a new supplier if CAMit was no longer able to provide parts, but the combined effect of the global financial crisis and a high Australian dollar meant demand was suppressed, and there would be little disruption for customers.

"There is a lot of manufacturing capacity out there because of the decline in the industry, with the mining industry too, so that also made more manufacturing capacity available," she said.

"It will be a transition, but at the moment the demand is very, very low, so it won't be too difficult to overcome."

Diversification helps cope with downturn

Other aviation manufacturers in the region, such as Microair Avionics, have already diversified into other industries to cope with the downturn.

Ms Woods said despite the news about CAMit, there had been signs confidence was returning to the industry, at a recent air show in Narromine.

She said it was important manufacturing was supported in the region.

"It provides a lot to the local economy, so it is important in the area, and fortunately in Bundaberg we have a very pro-aviation council who work hard to develop this industry," she said.

"We do need to overcome this and we will overcome it as we have overcome very many other challenges throughout the 27-year history of Jabiru.
"It will just be another challenge."

MTF...P2 Tongue

Senator Barry O'sullivan announces senate enquiry into Drones

Excellent news and well done Senator. It's heartening to see that the strength and tenacity of the Senate crew continues unabated. Kind of good timing too, now that Skid'mark has left for early retirement, and it makes one even more fond of the Senators  Heart
Goldman Sachs Turnbulls back peddling over recent days also kinda makes arseclowns like Darren of the Desirable and vile CAsA mouthpiece Pooter Gobson look like complete twats too! I will be interested in also seeing Wingnuts performance under the spotlight.better tape those ears back so as not to allow an uneven flow of air conditioning through the chamber  Smile

Senator may I recommend asking Murky the following;

- exactly how many confirmed Drone altercations have been recorded and or reported to CAsA and the ATsB, and;
- perhaps also ask him how many drones have been found intact, damaged or destroyed at actual airports, within boundaries and on or besides runways and taxiways? I'm sure that the Office of Transport security has some of that information at their disposal Perhaps they even have an incident on file from Sydney airport from at least 2 to 3 years ago! Indeed, it is not a new risk that has been identified in just recent weeks!
- ask Murky how many drones have been found to have breached secure government
Infrastructure?

Here is the link to Simply Marvellous Horse Pooh;

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/national...de5eaef3db

I am confident that the Klan man, 'that man Iggins' and Junior Bingers will provide some ongoing reporting. Have fun boys.

P2, may I indulge? Thank you. MTF

(10-12-2016, 05:44 AM)Gobbledock Wrote:  Senator Barry O'sullivan announces senate enquiry into Drones

Excellent news and well done Senator. It's heartening to see that the strength and tenacity of the Senate crew continues unabated. Kind of good timing too, now that Skid'mark has left for early retirement, and it makes one even more fond of the Senators  Heart
Goldman Sachs Turnbulls back peddling over recent days also kinda makes arseclowns like Darren of the Desirable and vile CAsA mouthpiece Pooter Gobson look like complete twats too! I will be interested in also seeing Wingnuts performance under the spotlight.better tape those ears back so as not to allow an uneven flow of air conditioning through the chamber  Smile

- exactly how many confirmed Drone altercations have been recorded and or reported to CAsA and the ATsB, and;
- perhaps also ask him how many drones have been found intact, damaged or destroyed at actual airports, within boundaries and on or besides runways and taxiways? I'm sure that the Office of Transport security has some of that information at their disposal Perhaps they even have an incident on file from Sydney airport from at least 2 to 3 years ago! Indeed, it is not a new risk that has been identified in just recent weeks!
Infrastructure?

Quote:Senate inquiry to examine security implications of drones

[Image: b6a76d4e4d1f7d094d9b7df0463ac09a.jpg]

Barry O'Sullivan says drones in the wrong hands could be devastating.

The Australian
12:00AM October 12, 2016
Joe Kelly
Political reporter
Canberra
@joekellyoz
[img=0x0]http://pixel.tcog.cp1.news.com.au/track/component/author/c1e593b57554afc1c3bc4d1f516c297b/?esi=true&t_product=the-australian&t_template=s3/austemp-article_common/vertical/author/widget&td_bio=false[/img]
The national security implications of increased drone use, including the prospect of a weapons payload being dropped on a capacity crowd at a major sports stadium, has triggered a Senate inquiry.

Barry O’Sullivan, deputy chairman of the rural, regional affairs and transport references committee, told The Australian he believed drones could be as common as mobile phones in the future, especially given their commercial application in areas such as agriculture.

“Just imagine in 20 years time, you’re standing out watering the garden. And it’s not beyond conceivable thought that you won’t be able to look at a clear sky that doesn’t have multiple drones in it delivering post and pizzas and whatever payload their delivering,” he told The Australian.

Senator O’Sullivan said the committee aimed to ensure that drones were properly regulated and could perform commercial activities, like the delivery of goods to consumers, without raising safety concerns.

“These things are capable of delivering significant payloads of whatever you want,” he said.

“I don’t want to get to be an alarmist, but there’s a security risk. Imagine being able to take a drone, and you’re on a seven-storey building, 500m from (Brisbane’s) Suncorp Stadium and you can deliver a payload into a crowd of 80,000 people.”

Drones are not allowed to fly within 5.5km of an airfield, no higher than 400 feet nor within 30m of people or vehicles.

Under changes brought in last month, commercial operators of drones weighing less than 2kgs do not need to apply for a licence from the Civil Aviation Safety Authority.
The move was aimed at reducing regulatory fees of about $1400 for commercial drone operators, but it was met with concern by aviation groups.

The Australian Federation of Air Pilots said the collision of a 2kg drone with a plane travelling at 400km/h could cause catastrophic damage.

Senator O’Sullivan said many members of the committee believed CASA “may not have paid enough attention to detail” in making the changes.

The Labor chairman of the committee, Glenn Sterle, told The Australian he supported the inquiry.

“They (drones) are becoming a very popular piece of equipment, not only for work, but also for recreational use,” he said. “I’m certainly backing it in. We need to have a look at this.”

Senator O’Sullivan said the terms of reference would look at the issues of registration and training. He said the government should know who was using them.

“We know everyone in the country who has a driver’s licence who goes out and operates a vehicle that could impact on fellow citizens, so it’s not beyond the realms of possibility that this could be considered with drones,” he said.

I am confident that the Klan man, 'that man Iggins' and Junior Bingers will provide some ongoing reporting. Have fun boys.

P2, may I indulge? Thank you. MTF

Excellent catch Gobbles and indulge away mate... Big Grin

Reference NX thread:
Quote:The die is cast - [Image: confused.gif]

Quote:[Image: Untitled_Clipping_101016_093624_PM.jpg]

Probably also explains why NX has delayed his DM (above)... Rolleyes

Reference 11 Oct 2016 Senate Hansard:
Quote:The Clerk: Postponement notifications have been lodged in respect of the following:

Business of the Senate notice of motion no. 1 standing in the name of Senator Xenophon for today, proposing the disallowance of the Civil Aviation Legislation Amendment (Part 101) Regulation 2016, postponed till 21 November 2016....

Cheers Gobbles...MTF P2 Tongue

(10-12-2016, 07:08 AM)Peetwo Wrote:  
(10-12-2016, 05:44 AM)Gobbledock Wrote:  Senator Barry O'sullivan announces senate enquiry into Drones

Infrastructure?

Reference NX thread:

Quote:The Clerk: Postponement notifications have been lodged in respect of the following:

Business of the Senate notice of motion no. 1 standing in the name of Senator Xenophon for today, proposing the disallowance of the Civil Aviation Legislation Amendment (Part 101) Regulation 2016, postponed till 21 November 2016....

Update: Via the other Aunty... Wink

Quote:Drones set to come under scrutiny in Senate inquiry
Updated about 3 hours ago
Wed 12 Oct 2016, 8:51am
[Image: 7648796-3x2-340x227.jpg]
Photo: Drones are increasingly being used across Australia. (Supplied: Anthony Hoy)

The Senate looks set to hold an inquiry into the use of drones, which will examine air safety and the role remotely piloted aircraft can play in industries such as agriculture.

This week, the Federal Government also announced a safety review into new Civil Aviation Safety Authority rules that allow people to fly light drones without a licence or training.

Liberal National Party senator Barry O'Sullivan said the Coalition, Labor and some crossbenchers were interested in pursuing the issue in the Senate.

South Australian senator Nick Xenophon has raised concerns about the new rules.
Senator O'Sullivan said his interest was in examining the role drones could play in agriculture, with farmers using the technology to increase productivity on their properties.

He said drones were increasingly being used across Australia.

"As this technology becomes available and becomes more cost efficient, we can see an absolute proliferation," Senator O'Sullivan said.

Quote:"This is the cusp of the iPhone for a lot of people, when you're talking about pizza operators wanting to deliver pizzas by drone … you've got a pretty busy bit of air space happening there."

Senator O'Sullivan said the terms of reference had not been finalised yet.

The House of Representatives has previously held an inquiry on the issue and tabled a report in 2014, but Senator O'Sullivan said more questions needed to be asked.

"Some of us think that it might not have quite anticipated the proliferation of drones.

"The Senate inquiry is designed to have a more thorough look, really a look over the horizon as we start to see tens of thousands and, predicably, hundreds of thousands of these things in air space."

MTF...P2 Tongue

(10-12-2016, 11:35 AM)Peetwo Wrote:  
(10-12-2016, 07:08 AM)Peetwo Wrote:  

Infrastructure?

Reference NX thread:

Update: Via the other Aunty... Wink

Quote:Drones set to come under scrutiny in Senate inquiry
Updated about 3 hours ago
Wed 12 Oct 2016, 8:51am
[Image: 7648796-3x2-340x227.jpg]
Photo: Drones are increasingly being used across Australia. (Supplied: Anthony Hoy)

Further update: NX via twitter.

Quote:@Nick_Xenophon 49m49 minutes ago
Drone enquiry I have been pushing now more urgent than ever:https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/oct/12/exploding-drone-sent-by-isis-allies-kills-and-wounds-troops-in-iraq-report …

MTF...P2 Cool

Sorry Miniscule Barmybaby and Pretty Boy Chester, you can't drone out the sound of the Senates beating drums

Around 4 years ago Al-Qaeda had been planning to fly multiple drones into parked aircraft at Heathrow airport. The plot was foiled and then kept relatively under wraps apart from within government security circles and some connected people in the private security business. The 'paper' has gradually leaked out slowly but surely, but it's all true.

This 'drone' risk, from a number of angles, is nothing new. It's just amazing that such shitty regulations (or lack of) can be allowed to exist. CAsA know they are a high risk, the Orifice of Transport Security know they are a high risk, yet the best our Government can offer is Darren 'selfie' Chester and Peter Gobson telling us all is ok? Serious?? Thank Christ Nick Xenophon and Bazza aren't asleep at the wheel!

Just watch all the kiddies start droning;
Lucas Heights
Amberley air base
Parliament House
Kirribilly house
Symonston
Pine gap.............

And that's not even including the aircraft and airport risks, sports events, concerts, personal injury risks, next door neighbours 13 yr old daughter sunbathing, the panel beating business up the road, private residences including high rise apartments, other sensitive infrastructure and anywhere else that a couple of 'bong smoking we don't give a shit 16 yr old Gen X dickheads' decide is fair game.

TICK TOCK numbskulls, you were warned!

Drone deaf and bone idle.

Has anyone actually sat down and read; I mean really read the 2013 ‘model’ on which CASA based their rule set – 101.  I find the ‘101’ descriptor amusing; for indeed it is.  I expect I could rattle on about this ‘model’, produce logical argument and drag out the many flaws; those which would add fuel to the Senators little pyre. But not today. The Senators have people of wit and intelligence on tap – what I will do is give them a starter for 10 points; two paragraphs; to pick the bones out of.

Quote:This report presents the findings of a study carried out by Alexander Radi M.Sc.during a four months research internship at CASA (Canberra). The aim of the study is to provide the Standards Development branch at CASA with an assessment of injury severity from the impact of small Remotely Piloted Aircraft (RPA) into a person on the ground.

Quote:Of particular interest are combinations of RPA mass and impact velocity which cause non-severe injuries.

Due to the complex geometry of the RPA and the non-trivial biomechanics of the human body, major simplifications and assumptions had to be made during the adaptation of the BC. The current model ignores the collision dynamics and the RPA material’s frangibility and elasticity, making its predictions over-restrictive.

Disallowance is a little too genteel. CASA will simply shrug, rework, redraft and come back with the same rubbish, wrapped up in better paper. The Senators need to bang some silly heads together and tell the CASA oiks to do some real research and come back with a honest, sensible, effective rule set which will help protect the not only the people and transport operations, but government against a huge liability. That’s what the FAA are doing – their job.

Arggh – I’ve no patience for more on this – handing over. Anyway the Norfolk Ditching - version 2 is due out today; better get the coffee pot on.

Toot toot.

(10-13-2016, 07:07 AM)kharon Wrote:  Drone deaf and bone idle.

Has anyone actually sat down and read; I mean really read the 2013 ‘model’ on which CASA based their rule set – 101.  I find the ‘101’ descriptor amusing; for indeed it is.  I expect I could rattle on about this ‘model’, produce logical argument and drag out the many flaws; those which would add fuel to the Senators little pyre. But not today. The Senators have people of wit and intelligence on tap – what I will do is give them a starter for 10 points; two paragraphs; to pick the bones out of.

Quote:This report presents the findings of a study carried out by Alexander Radi M.Sc.during a four months research internship at CASA (Canberra). The aim of the study is to provide the Standards Development branch at CASA with an assessment of injury severity from the impact of small Remotely Piloted Aircraft (RPA) into a person on the ground.

Quote:Of particular interest are combinations of RPA mass and impact velocity which cause non-severe injuries.

Due to the complex geometry of the RPA and the non-trivial biomechanics of the human body, major simplifications and assumptions had to be made during the adaptation of the BC. The current model ignores the collision dynamics and the RPA material’s frangibility and elasticity, making its predictions over-restrictive.

Disallowance is a little too genteel. CASA will simply shrug, rework, redraft and come back with the same rubbish, wrapped up in better paper. The Senators need to bang some silly heads together and tell the CASA oiks to do some real research and come back with a honest, sensible, effective rule set which will help protect the not only the people and transport operations, but government against a huge liability. That’s what the FAA are doing – their job.

Arggh – I’ve no patience for more on this – handing over. Anyway the Norfolk Ditching - version 2 is due out today; better get the coffee pot on.

Toot toot.

From page 5 & 6 of today's Senate Notice Paper:

Quote:*4 Senator Xenophon:
To move

That the following matters be referred to the
Rural and Regional Affairs and Transport References Committee for inquiry and report by 28 November 2016:
The use of drones in Australia, with particular reference to:

(a) public safety, security and privacy;

(b) benefits to the community and the economy;

© registration and training needs of both private and commercial
users/operators;

(d) professional standards framework for commercial users/operators;

(e) insurance requirements of both private and commercial users/operators;

(f) the use of current and emerging drone technologies with respect to
enhancing public safety, security and privacy;

(g) current and future regulatory requirements, including consideration of:

(i)the Civil Aviation Legislation Amendment (Part 101) Regulation
(ii) state and local government regulations, and
(iii) regulations in other jurisdictions;
(h) legislative enforcement difficulties/impediments and solutions; and
(i) any other related matters.

*5 Senators O’Sullivan, Xenophon, Back, Fawcett, Rice and Sterle:
To move

That the following matter be referred to the Rural and Regional Affairs and Transport References Committee for inquiry and report by 27 April 2017:
(a) current and future regulatory requirements that impact on the safe
commercial and recreational use of Remotely Piloted Aircraft Systems (RPAS), Unmanned Aerial Systems (UAS) and associated systems, including consideration of:

(i)Civil Aviation Safety Regulation Part 101,
(ii)local design and manufacture of RPAS and associated systems,
(iii) importation of RPAS and associated systems,
(iv) state and local government regulation, and
(v) overseas developments, including work by the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) and overseas aviation regulatory
jurisdictions;

(b) the existing industry and likely future social and economic impact of RPAS technology;

© the international regulatory/governance environment for RPAS technology and its comparison to Australian regulation;

(d) current and future options for improving regulatory compliance, public safety and national security through education, professional standards, training, insurance and enforcement;

(e) the relationship between aviation safety and other regulation of RPAS for example, regulation by state and local government agencies on public safety, security and privacy grounds;

(f) the potential recreational and commercial uses of RPAS, including
agriculture, mining, infrastructure assessment, search and rescue, fire and policing operations, aerial mapping and scientific research;

(g) insurance requirements of both private and commercial users/operators, including consideration of the suitability of existing data protection, liability and insurance regimes, and whether these are sufficient to meet
growing use of RPAS;

(h) the use of current and emerging RPAS and other aviation technologies to enhance aviation safety; and

(i) any other related matters

Standing by for ATSB PelAir MKII final report... Rolleyes

MTF...P2  Cool

Next week's Estimates daily program released:
Quote:Rural and Regional Affairs and Transport (PDF 132KB)          
Infrastructure and Regional Development: Monday, 17 October 2016
Agriculture and Water Resources: Tuesday, 18 October 2016

[Image: Estimates-1.jpg]
[Image: Estimates-2.jpg]
And in an update to the two motions for inquiry into UAVs, off the Dynamic Red here was the outcome:
Quote:Business of the Senate
No. 4
—Senator Xenophon—Reference to the Rural and Regional Affairs and Transport References Committee (use of drones in Australia)

Withdrawn

Business of the Senate
No. 5
—Senators O’Sullivan, Xenophon, Back, Fawcett, Rice and Sterle—Reference to the Rural and Regional Affairs and Transport References Committee (Remotely Piloted Aircraft Systems, Unmanned Aerial Systems and associated systems)
Commenced 12:23 PM

Agreed to

MTF...P2 Tongue

(10-13-2016, 12:03 PM)Peetwo Wrote:  Next week's Estimates daily program released:
Quote:Rural and Regional Affairs and Transport (PDF 132KB)          
Infrastructure and Regional Development: Monday, 17 October 2016
Agriculture and Water Resources: Tuesday, 18 October 2016

[Image: Estimates-1.jpg]
[Image: Estimates-2.jpg]
And in an update to the two motions for inquiry into UAVs, off the Dynamic Red here was the outcome:
Quote:Business of the Senate
No. 4
—Senator Xenophon—Reference to the Rural and Regional Affairs and Transport References Committee (use of drones in Australia)

Withdrawn

Business of the Senate
No. 5
—Senators O’Sullivan, Xenophon, Back, Fawcett, Rice and Sterle—Reference to the Rural and Regional Affairs and Transport References Committee (Remotely Piloted Aircraft Systems, Unmanned Aerial Systems and associated systems)
Commenced 12:23 PM

Agreed to

Update from RRAT committee inquiry page:

Quote:New  Regulatory requirements that impact on the safe use of Remotely Piloted Aircraft Systems, Unmanned Aerial Systems and associated systems.
        Date Referred: 13 October 2016
        Reporting Date: 27 April 2017

Quote:On 13 October 2016, the Senate moved that the following matters be referred to the Rural and Regional Affairs and Transport References Committee for inquiry and report by 27 April 2017.
(a) current and future regulatory requirements that impact on the safe commercial and recreational use of Remotely Piloted Aircraft Systems (RPAS), Unmanned Aerial Systems (UAS) and associated systems, including consideration of:
(i) Civil Aviation Safety Regulation Part 101,
(ii) local design and manufacture of RPAS and associated systems,
(iii) importation of RPAS and associated systems,
(iv) state and local government regulation, and
(v) overseas developments, including work by the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) and overseas aviation regulatory jurisdictions;
(b) the existing industry and likely future social and economic impact of RPAS technology;
© the international regulatory/governance environment for RPAS technology and its comparison to Australian regulation;
(d) current and future options for improving regulatory compliance, public safety and national security through education, professional standards, training, insurance and enforcement;
(e) the relationship between aviation safety and other regulation of RPAS for example, regulation by state and local government agencies on public safety, security and privacy grounds;
(f) the potential recreational and commercial uses of RPAS, including agriculture, mining, infrastructure assessment, search and rescue, fire and policing operations, aerial mapping and scientific research;
(g) insurance requirements of both private and commercial users/operators, including consideration of the suitability of existing data protection, liability and insurance regimes, and whether these are sufficient to meet growing use of RPAS;
(h) the use of current and emerging RPAS and other aviation technologies to enhance aviation safety; and
(i) any other related matters.

MTF...P2 Tongue

Up for discussion 8:30pm-9:30pm Monday - Big Grin

(10-14-2016, 10:32 AM)Peetwo Wrote:  AIOS reaches epidemic proportions in Can'tberra - Confused  

Earlier in the week 'that man' from the Oz kept reporting on a something-nothing (possible) tailskid occurrence of a Singapore Airlines on departure out of Melbourne: 
Quote:Tail strike suspected
[Image: 59eb7f49a16f20071b6d37f2a738709c]12:00amEAN HIGGINS

A Singapore Airlines plane flew on from Melbourne to Singapore despite being told it had struck its tail on takeoff..

Now along with Ben Sandilands from PlaneTalking, I was a bit bemused where 'that man' was going with what appears to be on the surface a non-event?? 

Quote:Probe into ‘tail strike’ flight
[Image: 64478ad642533b1f8dd73b71310ae160]12:00amEAN HIGGINS
The air crash watchdog has launched an investigation into a now confirmed ‘tail strike’ at Melbourne airport...

But then after the 2nd Higgins report (above) the penny dropped... Rolleyes

This was not so much about the Singapore tail-strike occurrence but more about goading the ATSB into action by making reference to a) it being an immediately reportable incident that automatically must be investigated; and b) referring twice to the last high profile tail-strike incident that also occurred out of YMML:
Quote:..In 2009 at Melbourne airport, an Emirates Airbus A340-500 struck its tail three times, and sustained $100 million damage as it barely cleared the airport boundary fence before returning to make an emergency landing...

As a passing strange coincidence - Big Grin - I too had recently referred to that accident in a Mount NCN post:
Quote:Safety loops, trends & disconnections?

Quote: Wrote:Kharon: "..So to the 717 crew and their wee problems; how deep do we dig?  Is the fix presented adequate to task? Has the ATSB done enough to cure the problem?  Can this be classed as an ‘operational’ matter?   The rational way to answer is to examine one factor only – can this happen again?  The answer to that is a resounding absolutely. The loop remains open.."

Okay so referring to both the PT article & the Oz last article they both state that apparently the ATSB is investigating.

However if you refer to the ATSB aviation investigation page or the new investigation page there is no sign that this immediately reportable matter was actually recorded, or that the ATSB is actually investigating. This is despite other incidents being reported and being investigated since the Singapore incident date - Huh   Dodgy   

Perhaps the ATSB is being bloody-minded about this because it is 'that man' making a song and dance about this reasonably innocuous event.

But it also could be that they're otherwise distracted and have gone into a 'bunker' mode because apparently that man Higgins has been doing some more digging on the MH370 front... Confused :
Quote:
Quote:ATSB jumped gun on MH370
[Image: e83afe0cb8d200fbe956e7148e3c7b2c]12:00amEAN HIGGINS
The Australian Transport Safety Bureau was wrong to say it had consensus on a “death dive” theory for flight MH370.
[img=0x0]http://pixel.tcog.cp1.news.com.au/track/component/author/0573acb566bb47c45e64e4c55a998aba/?esi=true&t_product=the-australian&t_template=s3/austemp-article_common/vertical/author/widget&td_bio=false[/img]

Oh Hoody what a total 'clusterf**k' - but wait there is more... Confused

Two days ago DIPs to the 2nd PelAir cover-up/cock-up?? ATSB investigation were informed by Dr (Beyond-all-Reason) (I've a conflict of interest) Walker that there would be a further public update issued on the progress of the 'RE'-investigation.

Well again without absolutely any recognition (i.e. update to the aviation investigation page, media release or tweep from the twitter guy) the ATSB discretely by stealth released an update eight in what has to be the longest running ICAO Annex 13 AAI in the history of the world??

Quote:Updated: 13 October 2016

The collection and analysis of a large volume of evidence for this investigation has taken longer than originally foreseen.  However, the ATSB now has sufficient evidence to establish findings across a number of lines of inquiry.  The ATSB is in a position to finalise a draft report which is expected to be released to directly involved parties by the end of the year.  Subject to comments made during the draft report review process, the final report should be released publicly in the first part of 2017.

No further comment required - UDB? No actually totally ducking believable... Dodgy

Update: Ben Sandilands (Plane Talking) with a summary of the nearly seven year diabolical saga of the VH-NGA Norfolk island ditching:  
Quote:After almost 7 years Pel-Air crash scandal lurches toward finality
Oct 14, 2016
Ben Sandilands

How the ATSB expunges the shame of its original and highly unprofessional inquiry into the Pel-Air ditching remains to be seen

[Image: Pel-Air-wreckage-six-months-later-610x339.jpg]The wreckage of the Pel-Air jet which the ATSB originally refused to recover

The ATSB has updated the status of its re-opened inquiry into the Pel-Air ditching of an air ambulance flight near Norfolk Island almost seven years ago.

It says it is now “in a position to finalise a draft report which is expected to be released to directly involved parties by the end of the year.  Subject to comments made during the draft report review process, the final report should be released publicly in the first part of 2017.”

This whole sorry saga has become as much about the honesty and diligence of Australia’s air safety investigator, the ATSB, as well as its safety regulator CASA as it has about a plane crash.

In December 2014 the ATSB was directed to withdraw and re-open its original and much criticised report into the ditching following some very serious shortcomings that were identified by an independent peer review by the Transportation Safety Board of Canada.

It took a Senate inquiry to establish that the original ATSB inquiry ignored a suppressed internal CASA report that found the accident could have been avoided had the safety regulator done its job in relation to the oversight of Pel-Air’s operations of the small Westwind corporate jet that it used for medical flights.

The ditched Pel-Air flight involved a medical transfer from Apia to Melbourne which found itself unable to land in very poor weather conditions for its intended refueling stop at Norfolk Island with six people on board. The jet had insufficient fuel on board to to divert to an alternative airport. It was ditched in the sea adjacent to the island before its fuel would have run out and deprived the pilots of full control of the Westwind.

The evidence given by the then chief commissioner of the ATSB, Martin Dolan, to a Senate committee inquiring into its conduct of the original safety investigation was severely criticised in its report.

The Senate disclosures led to widespread concerns in the aviation industry that two government agencies, CASA and the ATSB had conspired to suppress evidence that the regulator had failed in its duty and that the accident report that was subsequently withdrawn had in effect framed the captain of the Pel-Air flight.

Irrespective of the fierce arguments that the original ATSB report gave rise to, there are few precedents for a national air safety regulator to be so totally discredited for its handling of an air crash inquiry as to have to withdraw its original report and do the job again, properly.

Even though the Pel-Air crash occurred in 2009, the failed regulatory reform process in CASA has not yet fully addressed and reformed the claimed inadequacy of the original rules that applied to oceanic medical flights on the night it crashed, leading to an against-all-odds search by a Norfolk Island fishing boat which rescued all six people who had been onboard the ditched jet.

The ATSB which had resolutely refused to recover the the Westwind’s flight recorder finally retrieved it and some other wreckage from the sea bed last year, after it was ordered to do a new investigation.

(The media was left in no doubt that the ATSB was directed to carry out the new inquiry, even though the current posting on its web site makes it sound like it acted on its own initiative.)

The surviving parties in this crash will now be given a period of time in which to review the draft report and have any comments or responses they may make taken into account before the final document is published publicly next year.
Hmm...Coupled with MH370 questions, I reckon Hoodlum could be in for an uncomfortable (at least) half an hour ... Confused
MTF...P2 Tongue