Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CASA meets the Press
Oldy – but a goody.

P2 – “Personally I am a little suspicious as to why a career bureaucrat on the up could possibly want a possible poisoned chalice like the FF CEO position...”

Gee whiz – there’s an old can of worms, unopened for many a year. There were always two strongly argued and well supported positions taken on the Byron demise. That he was nobbled has never been in doubt, but by whom has intrigued many. Where P2 has taken this is ‘interesting’. Personally, I’ve never been completely convinced by either argument and a serious lack of ‘insider’ proof and a surfeit of tittle –tattle clouded the waters. However as the topic is slated for discussion – it may be worth providing a brief outline of the original conundrum. You can toss the coin and decide the answer to P2’s question; in short:-

Heads – Carmody was part and parcel of the Byron embuggerance; coveted the job and hung about long after he should have followed his leader, hoping to get it. Now having finally attained his goal through patience and persistence.

Tails – Carmody was nearly as damaged by the putsch as Byron and not party to it. Which only leaves one question begging, why the delay in taking up a ‘plum’ job with another department. Memory fails but several months is a figure that pops up. McConvict certainly wouldn’t want a bureaucrat hanging about; and it’s doubtful that Aleck and Co. wanted Carmody hanging about – if he knew where the murder weapon was.

So, in a nutshell that is the debate – will it be payback time or a reunion of co conspirators? One thing is clear, Carmody’s actions will be defined by the past; perhaps we shall see the truth of it finally emerge. Many questions to answer. It is an intriguing part of the CASA saga.

Just a stray thought – did you ever get one of those really long, skinny splinters in your hand; the thin sharp kind which burrow down and seal the skin behind them – they are the very devil to get out; deep digging with something sharp, hurts like hell. Be interesting to see how Carmody removes them; if he's got them – there is no painless, bloodless way.

Toot – speculative – toot.
Revolting peasants -  Hitch’s fault. Courtesy of and with thanks to - Australian Flying.
(06-17-2017, 05:35 AM)kharon Wrote: Revolting peasants -  Hitch’s fault. Courtesy of and with thanks to - Australian Flying.

Thanks for that "K", did see Hitch's stellar LMH post but a bit busy so again TY... Wink

Quote:[Image: SH_Nov13_AF904AE0-3498-11E4-82B0020AB1EB208A.jpg]

The Last Minute Hitch: 16 July 2017
16 June 2017

There is revolt fermenting among the peasants. Whilst the Minister sits pat in Canberra doling out edicts, the angry villagers of the aviation community are getting themselves organised and sharpening their pitchforks. It would seem that enough is enough, and open rebellion can no longer be discounted. The trigger to start the war is the Aviation Security Identification Card (ASIC). Designed to make our RPT airports more secure, the ASIC has failed to do that, but has succeeded in sucking a lot of money out of general aviation. And, as most panic-stricken bureaucracies tend do, the department has brought in more stringent rules that apply from 1 August. From then, you will have to present your ID documents to the Issuing Body in person, not by mail and not over the internet. And as good bureaucrats do, they have not let the fact that this is nearly impossible get in the way of declaring it a great idea. The concept is so rubbish-riddled that RAAus has decided to stop being an Issuing Body. So let's get this straight. We now have to have our ID papers authenticated in person by someone who is acceptable in the eyes of the federal government (police, JP, lawyers, pharmacists ... there's a long list), then we have to front up with those papers to have them authenticated again by someone who is NOT accepted by the federal government to do so. To err is human, but to make a monumental blunder you have to have a bureaucrat! To make matter worse, the current Issuing Bodies are in real strife, because most of them just had their business catchment restricted to their local area, and those pilots not in the local area of an Issuing Body are, well, stuffed. For example, AviationID Australia is in Merimbula, NSW, which is very convenient for the pilots at Frogs Hollow. If AviationID can't get agencies right around Australia by 1 August, from where to they get their business now? And have you looked at Victoria? I would count the number of ASIC Issuing Bodies in the state on my fingers, but I could be accused of making a rude gesture.There is one: Melbourne Airport.

Quote:airports don't want to become collateral damage in a war between general aviation pilots and the federal government

The result is that a significant number of pilots around Australia are starting to talk boycott. Boycotting the ASIC also means boycotting any airport that has RPT. This is a move the industry needs to think carefully about, especially when it comes to getting fuel. I am sure the airports don't want to become collateral damage in a war between general aviation pilots and the federal government, but when you think about it, what other weapons do we have? Personally, I will not renew my ASIC when it comes up again, if for no other reason than I have no idea where my Issuing Body is based. They are talking about getting Australia Post to act as agents, which will  be fantastic, except Australia Post won't be doing it gratis, so we can all expect the sticker price on an ASIC to increase and even more money will flow out of general aviation.

On a much brighter note, the Australian Aviation Hall of Fame (AAHOF) has found a home at the Historical Aircraft Restoration Society (HARS) at Illawarra Regional Airport. Obviously there is great synergy between the two, and HARS does appear to have the weight of activity and finance behind them to make for a great partnership. I do feel sorry that we couldn't make this happen in Wagga Wagga, given that the council there has been a great supporter of the concept almost from Day One. However, sometimes practicalities have to carry the day, and a AAHOF/HARS marriage can do nothing but bear fruit.

It's pleasing to see that the issue of training space for Bankstown and Camden is already under the noses of the Forum on Western Sydney Airport (FOWSA). The momentum to build Badgerys Creek has bulldozed general aviation into the dust as the clamour for economic benefit takes precedence. It has been left to Regional Aviation Association CEO Mike Higgins and Bankstown CEO Lee de Winton to play Arthur Dent and throw themselves before the bulldozers to make sure GA's needs are taken into account with appropriate import. There are some in the industry that are concerned that the RAAA may have a conflict of interest, given that most of their members are regional airlines that stand to benefit from Badgerys Creek being built. However, the RAAA also has an interest in the health of flight training in the Sydney basin because many of their current pilots would have trained at the very schools that are now facing the threat, and it can be expected many of their future pilots will do so as well.

Now is the time to panic, and don't hesitate! There are now only two weeks before the 2017 Wings Awards nominations close. If you haven't already got your candidate all sorted and the submission down to the polishing stage, you still have time, but you won't be able to linger. Remember, it is not good enough just to put a name forward; the RAeS wants to see how well your candidate fits the criteria, so get your head down and get that submission in!

May your gauges always be in the green,

Hitch

Read more at http://www.australianflying.com.au/the-l...CuLvoMq.99

IMHO the bureaucratic red tape surrounding a completely useless ASIC card system is not the only revolting thing to be revolting about - Big Grin  (refer: How many re-re's does a clusterduck make?

MTF...P2 Tongue
Of practical or intrinsic value? Any at all..

The ASIC card concept always amuses me; when it come to ‘practical’ matters; such as opening a bank account, or leaving the country; or, simply being pulled over by the RBT unit.Try to convince a friendly Plod at 0430 o’clock, that your ASIC is proof of identity; you’re likely to get a metaphorical ‘thick ear’ for being a smart arse and buggering him about. The bank clerk will put on a sad face after the confusion has been assuaged and regretfully, politely but firmly tell you to sod off. Even the simple matter of retrieving a parcel of choc frogs from Mum at the post office will be a non event if you flash your ASIC.

Through the various agencies we are obliged to have contact with, we are probably one of the most ‘documented’ peoples on the planet; from birth to shuffling off the old mortal coil. Think on; privacy is a non existent commodity in our society, consider the SPAM you receive on your home computer, your privacy is constantly being invaded. The only poor buggers who have rules preventing that invasion are the coppers (bless ‘em all). I digress.

But, to me at least; even with the ASIC, airport - airside security is a sham, the ASIC an expensive placebo, a sop to convince the gullible public that all is well. It ain’t, we know it, they know it and the villains most certainly know it. The back room systems ‘in place’ are the real deterrent, those and the visible ones, such as the coppers ambling around the place; but that pathetic, annoying little red plastic card is not; never was, never will be.

Would I care to donate $100 a year towards improved airside security? Absolutely; no hesitation.  Am I prepared to waste the same amount on a useless, time wasting irritant, one which almost guarantees the 100% attention of the fools who do the ‘explosives’ test? No, I would not. Endit……..    

Toot toot.
CASA is the Press - Undecided

Carmody Capers, via the Oz:

Quote:CASA chief Shane Carmody: reforms will help deliver safe skies for all

[Image: 227a246a78195a4884c6e9effaf78f91?width=650]Drones are a new issue for CASA.
  • Shane Carmody
  • The Australian
  • 12:00AM June 24, 2017

I’m pleased and honoured to have been appointed as the Civil Aviation Safety Authority’s new chief executive and director of aviation safety, and I’m amazed how Australian aviation has evolved compared to 2009 when I was last at CASA.

While Australia remains a global leader in aviation safety, I’m very aware that we face challenges brought about by continued growth and technological change.

My vision is for CASA to be an open and transparent regulator, one the aviation industry finds it easy to do business with. My conclusion after eight months as acting director of aviation safety is that achieving this goal is more a matter of reforming CASA’s systems than its people. I’m impressed by the dedication and expertise of CASA’s staff, their commitment to fairness, and where appropriate, firmness in overseeing aviation safety.

I’m keen to improve our service delivery. People coming to CASA for approvals, licences or certificates have every right to expect efficient, streamlined and timely service. We are making a concerted effort to make doing business with us simpler, by improving our systems and centralising data, such as online forms and payment, as well as reviewing licensing and certification policy.

And we’re seeing improvement. We have received valuable feedback, for example, on aviation medicals, which will inform changes to the system. We have delivered improvements in flight-crew licensing with more than 99 per cent of applications being processed within service delivery time frames and more than 85 per cent of aviation medical applications processed on time.

By streamlining our systems, and centralising data, we can focus more effectively on using this data to continue to improve aviation safety.

Aviation is moving into the world of big data, with thousands of gigabytes generated every day. Analysed correctly, this provides an opportunity to create a new proactive model of risk management. It’s a world in which otherwise latent hazards can be discovered hiding in the data of thousands of uneventful flights.

We will know even more about what is going on by looking at data, and we will engage openly and honestly with industry. We should strive to keep industry “in the loop” about the issues we see emerging from the data and from our broader sectoral analysis. We want to be able to take a risk-based rather than a kneejerk approach to safety management.

One important objective for me has been to reboot how we consult with the aviation community.

From July 1, I will establish a new consultation body — the Aviation Safety Advisory Panel — and I am pleased to welcome some of Australia’s most senior aviation leaders to the group.

Senior representatives from Qantas, Virgin Australia, the Australian Airports Association and the Australian Aviation Associations Forum have agreed to work together on aviation safety.

ASAP will provide CASA with objective, high-level advice from the aviation community on current and emerging issues with significant implications for aviation safety and the way CASA performs its functions. It will consolidate several existing forums, and become the avenue through which CASA seeks industry input on regulatory and policy approaches.

Most importantly, through the forum we will seek to agree on the objectives and policy outcomes — before we then call our technical experts to do the detailed work.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank everyone who has served on such panels in the past. Our work together will continue.

CASA’s overriding responsibility for aviation safety leadership, however, means that there will always be limits. We cannot appease everyone, nor meet every request. Regulatory activities are inherently challenging and CASA ultimately has to make the call on major safety questions.

My intention is that once we settle on a position we will stick to it and deliver on what we have said we will deliver. If we can do this, we will maintain the trust and respect of the industry as a whole.

A key recent challenge for CASA has been the growth of unmanned aircraft, popularly and irresistibly known as drones.

Drones have enormous potential for making aviation and society safer, by doing many of the repetitive and dangerous aerial jobs without risking human lives.

The economic benefits of this flourishing industry are considerable. However, this emerging industry poses challenges to us as the regulator because we now have to communicate with a new public — people who have had little or no exposure to aviation, and for whom concepts such as aviation safety for all users, restricted and controlled airspace and the safety of the Australian travelling public, are not front of mind. One of my priorities will be bringing this new group into the broader aviation community, so that together we maintain and improve Australia’s aviation safety performance.

Clearly we need to do things differently.

I know that many in the industry are fatigued by delays in some of our regulation reforms; our process has been too slow and too long, and not sufficiently focused on practical, common sense applications. But I am confident that by working co-operatively with the aviation community we can make positive progress and deliver effective change that delivers “safe skies for all”.

Shane Carmody is the chief executive and director of aviation safety at the Civil Aviation Safety Authority.
And this week's LMH... Wink :
Quote:[Image: SH_Nov13_AF904AE0-3498-11E4-82B0020AB1EB208A.jpg]

The Last Minute Hitch: 23 June 2017
23 June 2017

My first thought when I heard about CASA's new Aviation Safety Advisory Panel (ASAP) was that the industry needs a new committee like it needs more SIDs. However, if you ferret through the undergrowth you will find a couple of encouraging truffles amongst the mushrooms. First of all, this seems to be not so much a new panel as a consolidation of all the other consultative panels CASA has working for them. That has to be a good thing; fewer committees generally means fewer camels. Secondly (and this is a bit hidden in officialese), CASA has stated that issues will go to ASAP first before any work starts on solutions. If ASAP actually functions this way, it's a huge step forward for sensible regulation. It's part of human nature to identify a problem and one potential solution at the same time. CASA's problem historically has been that the solution was often unworkable, but Not Invented Here Syndrome has seen them ignore learned advice and cling doggedly to their ideas like Gollum to a gold ring. Ultimately, this panel is advisory and any action is purely at the discretion of the Director of Aviation Safety. He can choose to ignore advice and stick with the convenient solution, which, if done with regularity, will result in ASAP becoming the white elephant in the room.

Quote: "Not Invented Here Syndrome has seen them ignore learned advice"

And so we could be looking at a few things happening come the start of July. Not only does ASAP kick in, but also the Bureau of Infrastructure, Transport and Regional Economics (BITRE) is due to complete its study into general aviation. The outcome of this study has the potential to set the benchmark for Australian governments' attitudes toward general aviation for years to come. Have a look now at how the Labour Party still falls back on its Aviation White Paper. So, what will the report say? If the industry is right, it will say that jobs are at risk for a number of factors, and the government needs to do something to protect it. However, if BITRE's numbers don't add up to that conclusion, we can expect it to be used against us every time we call for government action. Mind you, if the track record of most reports and inquiries into aviation is to be continued, we can probably expect an announcement of an extension soon.

Also, nominations for the general aviation Wings Awards close on 1 July. That means you should just about be done with your submission by now and just polishing it around the edges a bit. During the week I was asked how a nominator could submit supporting documents. If you want to do this, e-mail them to me stevehitchen@yaffa.com.au and I will pass them on to the entire judging panel along with your web-based submission. So get cracking; time is of the essence.

And now we have some great news for a couple of Australian Flying readers! We recently ran subscription and Facebook competitions to win some really good gear, and these two have done just that! Rachel Hawke has scored a Lightspeed Gann flight bag valued at $399 for doing nothing more than signing up for our weekly newsletter.

Congratulations, Rachel ... this is a classy piece of kit. And Alexander Courtney has won a Bose A20 top-of-the-range noise-canceling headset worth $1400 for subscribing to the print version of Australian Flying ... and he got a great deal on Australia's premier GA magazine as well! Thanks to everyone who participated in these competitions, and stand by for news on your next chance to win big through Australian Flying.

May your gauges always be in the green,

Hitch

Read more at http://www.australianflying.com.au/the-l...5s3acs7.99

Standing by for incoming - Big Grin

MTF...P2  Tongue
Litmus or Lietous testing?

Unless you have just strolled onto an airport for the first time, or been in a space capsule on Mars for three decades, it is possible that the latest ‘blurb’ from Carmody will cheer you. However, if you are an active aviation participant, you have to either smile and find a bucket – or take a taxi to the gap.

I wonder which planet Carmody has been on. Seriously – has he read the draft report on the shameful Pel-Air event – he should, before the world gets to see it.  Then I wonder how he has the brass neck to tout the latest ‘satisfaction survey’ as an example of how CASA is now, suddenly, wonderful. “What survey?” you ask – well, the one that fails to mention some of the major CASA inflicted headaches; like, no change to the McConvict signed ‘open slather’ rider to the ‘Embuggerance Manual’; Part 61 costs and associated stupidity, Part 135 cock-up; CAO 48.1 and the excesses that invokes; the lack of any real acceptance of the Forsyth report; SID’s; or, even the control cable lunacy; litmus tests all. But not mentioned in the ‘survey’ which is fluffed around the edges with inane, carefully selected questions and answers  - CASA – “Do you believe all CASA officers should wear matching jocks and socks?” – all deep, probing, self appraisal questions with predictable answers - not. Now Carmody wants us to believe CASA is a ‘honest’ hard working, conscientious, caring agency, with only our best interests at heart. Failed – Lietous test.

Following the ‘survey we get the ‘blurb’. I wonder where he gets the neck to publish it – after having managed to infuriate the RRAT Estimates committee and piss on industry in record time. The ministerial glove puppet then goes on to produce one of the biggest loads of open ended  ‘rhetoric’ yet recorded.  All the unmitigated Bollocks this pathetic individual we have for a minister would sell to the local CWA; although, I doubt the CWA is that naive.

“[and] I’m amazed how Australian aviation has evolved compared to 2009 when I was last at CASA.”

Yup, me too. ‘cept there’s a mistake the editor omitted; I shall correct it (save the him the bother).

“[and] I’m amazed how Australian aviation has devolved compared to 2009 when I was last at CASA.”

When Carmody was last at CASA there was a busy, thriving industry, which under Byron was actually starting to rub along with CASA; but that was many years and aberrations ago.

“My vision is for CASA to be an open and transparent regulator, “ etc.

Watch how ‘transparent it gets when we compare the 'draft' Pel-Air to  the 'final' published version. (Yes Greg, you leak). The shutters will  slam down, the drawbridge raised and locked, while the smoke and mirrors machine crew go on overtime.  Failed – Lietous test.

“[one] the aviation industry finds it easy to do business with”. Etc.

There are a few operators who could tell Carmody just how difficult, tedious, expensive, frustrating it actually is; before they got onto the ‘good stuff’ related to just how devious, deceitful, venal, incompetent and lazy some of those industry is forced to do business with (no option) really are. But Carmody won’t hear a bar of that song – history, in his purview, is best ignored.  Failed – Lietous test.

“My conclusion after eight months as acting director of aviation safety is that achieving this goal is more a matter of reforming CASA’s systems than its people.”

There stands as clear an indication that those who have, for the last decade, inflicted more damage and created more anger, lied, cheated, stolen, milked, bilked and prostituted the powers granted will be allowed to continue in the same manner, as you will ever see. CASA 'system' is hidebound, cumbersome and could do with a reform package and upgrade; but while the same evil is allowed to continue, unchallenged and unpunished; there is nothing but more of the same on the horizon. The only change will be that from now on, it will be better hidden by a ‘professional’ bureaucratic mantle of denial.  Failed – Lietous test.

“I’m impressed by the dedication and expertise of CASA’s staff, their commitment to fairness, and where appropriate, firmness in overseeing aviation safety.”

Well, at least there’s one person who is. What a pity he’s the their boss. Failed – Lietous test.

And so begins; the reign of Shameless O’ Carmody; off to a stellar start with some Senators calling ‘no confidence’ and none disagreeing with the call. I can’t be bothered taking the rest of this fatuous, fluffy statement apart; and anyway, the Hansard video of the last Estimates depicts the man, his attitude, arrogance and ambivalence toward a panel of Senators who actually have access to the real facts and circumstances.  Time has beaten me – again, but I shall save up for Sunday - perhaps we should examine in depth just why Carmody has already ‘screwed the pooch’ where it matters – in the Senate. MTF? Probably, once I get past the ‘retching for the bucket’ stage.

May your litmus paper always be in the red.

Toot  toot.

P.S. - http://www.auntypru.com/forum/showthread...73#pid7273