Less Noise and More Signal

C/O KS Narendran. 

Via: https://www.facebook.com/notes/narendran...407932786/

Quote:If wishes were horses...

NARENDRAN KS·SUNDAY, MARCH 17, 2019

[Image: Horse-1-1090x380.jpg]

The Transport Minister agreed to meet me in his office last week for an interview.  It was his most recent interaction with someone from the Press one-on-one. an exclusive of sorts. It was also more than 6 months after he assumed office and close to the 5-year anniversary of the disappearance of MH370, and he was candid about his early mistakes, most notably on handling of the MH370 matter. He was accustomed to speaking his mind during his interactions. There weren’t the stock replies and standard handouts of the past.

Here is a transcript of the interview:

Q: Take us back to the time when you took office. What was uppermost on your mind?

A: Well, obviously MH370 was a big priority. The previous Government in its wisdom approached it in ways that some of our leaders had concerns about. The search by Ocean Infinity was unsuccessful and we were apparently at a dead end. The families of passengers were pressing for a continuation of search. We couldn’t search indefinitely. So, some decisions had to be made. An Investigation report was due anytime. I was eager for its release. I thought that it may put the entire matter to rest.

Q: There were great expectations from your Government, from you as the Minister of Transport. The MH families for instance were very hopeful. After all. Dr. Mahathir Mohamed had even alleged that the CIA was involved or knew about the plane’s fate, at one stage. Mr. Anwar Ibrahim had been scathing in his criticism of the previous Government’s handling, or bungling as some would say, of the MH370 matter…

A: When I came in, I thought it was a matter of months before we will be able to put MH370 behind us. I saw my role more in forward looking terms, in terms of adding to and strengthening our transportation infrastructure, the road and rail network, the regulatory and safety framework for various modes of transport and supporting our airlines as they fought to regain reputation. There were investment proposals from Singapore, China, and other major countries. MH370 was a national embarrassment. Its shadow loomed large on the consciousness. It had become a festering wound. It had exposed us in an unflattering way. I was all for a swift and decisive end to all this. It may be unpopular. But at least we could look ahead rather than be tied to a painful past.

Q: But Dr. Mahathir and Mr. Ibrahim….

A: They are senior leaders with great responsibility at this critical juncture. Our alliance of parties has its task cut out. The country’s finances we discovered were fragile after being subject to the scandalous greed, loot and accumulation of public wealth by the previous government’s leading lights. So, it was a question of priorities in a context of near crisis. I am sure MH370 and the status of the search, and other related issues of significance are not lost on them. But as I said, it seemed that we were going through a serious situation, and we had many promises to keep.

Q: One gets the impression that where MH370 was concerned, you were even more in a hurry to bury it than…

A: Maybe I gave that impression early on. I was also led by briefings and advice from officials who were steeped in the MH370 issues. Not only was I dealing with more information than I could handle and form an independent opinion, I was also dealing with a team that had internalized a set of stances and behaviors at the instance of the previous Government that made it difficult to explore alternative responses. There were many entities at play – domestic and international - Everyone wanted to come out unscathed if not smelling like a rose and it seemed convenient to let the prevailing trajectory of events to take its natural course.

Q: So, you were prepared to betray the trust of the MH370 families and of millions of others who believed your leaders’ expressions of solidarity with the MH families, and desire to pursue the truth?

A: I believed I was acting in the interests of all Malaysians on the promise of good governance and a new resurgent and proud Malaysia. ‘Betrayal’ is a harsh word that I reject.

I admit that I made mistakes. In the initial months. I was following advice. But I believe I made amends.

Q: You say you made amends. Could you elaborate?

A: I under-estimated the groundswell of sentiments in favor of the families of passengers who had kept MH370 in the public eye. I assumed that after all these years, the search tragedy fatigue would have turned into public disengagement and apathy. Also, after all the millions spent on the unsuccessful search, the public’s commitment to spend still more millions will lack public backing, or so I assumed. How wrong I was! People let it be known that they had been let down. It began to be said that my Ministry and by extension our new Government had the same stale odor of the previous government. This was a big surprise. Though when I think back now, it shouldn't have come as a surprise.

Q: So, what DID you do?

A: I am getting to it…

I did not meet the MH families who had come together for the Investigation team’s (Annex 13)  briefing in July last year. That was a big mistake. I was squarely criticized for it. After all what could be more important for a Transport Minister than meeting the families of passenger victims of an incident involving my country’s premier airline?

I sent word that I would like to meet with the families. No agenda from my side. I had in the meanwhile read the entire set of statements and correspondence from Voice 370 and the China Families. I came away believing that a callous administration had heaped insult to injury on shocked and grief - stricken families over the past 4 years and more. I was no longer willing to give too much credence to advice that engaging the families was dangerous. I felt the fear was unfounded, the stance unkind and unimaginative.

Q: You met the families? How did that go?

A: It was a very emotional meeting. The families were initially suspicious but as the meeting progressed, they were willing to give me a chance. I apologized at the outset for not meeting them earlier. I also apologized for any statements from me that may have been construed as insensitive. I let them know that I had personally read all the Statements released by Voice370 till date, that I only had deep admiration for the steadfast pursuit and the fortitude with which they had proceeded. I told them that while I could not bring back to life their loved ones, I would strive to do my utmost to gain their trust.

What was intended as a brief introductory meeting turned into a full-scale meeting that ran over an hour. It would have been cruelty to cut short their recounting of long-accumulated grievances – of hurt, neglect and marginalization. I thanked them for not giving up. I promised to look into their issues, expectations and suggestions.

I told myself that If there was a new beginning to be made this is a good place to start.

Q: You acknowledged their existence in a real, human way just by listening?

A: Well, there seems to have been an unstated adversarial stance vis-à-vis the families. While decisions were being taken in their name and supposedly in their interests, they were never consulted. Most of the time they were the last to know. I told myself, email and messaging will be to complete the formality associated with messaging, not as the sole or principal mode of communication. There had to be more person-to-person contact. So I did two things: First, I made time to meet the families first Saturday of every month. Besides, any family member from anywhere in the world could ask to speak to me and I (or in the exceptional circumstance, a senior official in the MOT) would make time within 48 hours. Second, I made it a point to elicit the views of families on any steps my Ministry mooted regarding MH370.

Q: How was this received? Am curious.

A: in a nutshell, dread and disbelief. My team received this shift in approach with dread. It was as if some bastion had been breached and they had to crawl out of the trenches to meet and greet the ‘enemy’. There was resistance, even some silent sabotage. I was accused of yielding too much ground. I had to remind them that we assume office to serve. The people’s mandate given was an act of faith. We needed to act so that we deserve. My own Ministerial colleagues were skeptical. They would tell me that the task of government can’t be conducted on the basis of the whims and wishes of people. I left it to them to reflect on their words.

The families were disbelieving. To them after years of bitterness and neglect, a friendly hand extended was a gesture in disguise, a cynic’s move. When I followed up our first meeting with invitations for subsequent monthly interactions, the dynamic changed.

Q: This may be interpreted by some as managing the optics, appeasement, or a softer approach to co-opt the families into the choices that your Ministry has already made…

A: I sometimes feel that if something shifts within, the world looks and feels different. A suggestion that instantly raised hackles or appeared threatening at one time seems suddenly reasonable. I agree I took some time to get to grips with the nitty-gritty. But this is what I have attempted (Many have been reported by the Press, but when I share this together, you will see that they have all been sensible).

I asked my team why the search has been given up and what are their recommendations for a resumption of search. They were quick to remind me of the earliest tripartite (China-Australia-Malaysia) formulation on the need for ‘new credible evidence that could help pinpoint the location of the plane as a per-condition’. Excellent, I said, and asked who was on the job of hunting for such evidence. There was total silence. I asked the Chief of the Civil Aviation Authority. He drew a blank. I asked the Annex 13 team’s Chief. He said search was not his remit and he could not comment. I wondered if we took responsibility only to the extend of funding the search while outsourcing the search task to Australia. It was easy to say: the Australia’ search efforts were unsuccessful. We staved off accountability. So, I said, this won’t do. I asked for clear steps, a detailed action plan to find that ‘credible new evidence’. While the world’s renown Safety and accident investigations Boards signed on the Annex 13 report, the report raised many questions about the lack of incisive analysis and investigation. For good measure, knowing that our technical capabilities may be limited, I suggested that we engage with a range of experts from within and outside the global bureaucratic system.

We soon called for a Consultation meeting and brought in many of the key members of the Independent Group and some of their critics. This was a crucial step. We agreed that we would share all raw data and analysis covering any and every angle that the group found worthwhile to explore. Some have called it a public audit. Others have called it crowdsourcing of expertise. Some have argued that we were exposing ourselves to criticism, ridicule, accusations, threats of additional litigation, … But I would point to the fact that the past approaches shrouded in secrecy or couched in legalese hadn’t yielded much. We were being roundly criticized no matter what we did!

I think this new approach promises much. Already the learning and insights from these ongoing consultation processes have been invaluable. We have clear lessons that easily translate into design, process, and procedural re-imagination of various aspects of civil aviation. Public confidence in our efforts has grown. We could indeed see a resumption of search.

Q: Is this a scoop you just dropped on my lap? Breaking news?

A: Disappointment alert! What I am saying is that with greater exchange of information, newer analysis, fine modeling, and sharper but professional critique, the search zone recommendations are likely to be well received overall. Given all that we know, I am not optimistic about a precise location. I don't think that is even a realistic expectation to set.

Q: Are families allowed to sit in during these consultation meetings?

A: I am glad you brought that up. Yes, indeed they are welcome. They have been told so. Their presence serves as an important reminder that at the end of the day, their emotional settlement and well-being remains a key consideration. It keeps egos in check, and everyone focused.

Q: What about military raw radar data? Has that been shared too? If not, isn’t the team denied crucial data based on which many of the movements of the aircraft has been deduced? It has been alleged that even the Annex 13 team never got access to raw data and had to work off whatever the military fed them.

A: I will not criticize or defend the Annex 13 team’s work. The Government of the day and the military took certain decisions in the national interest. World over, matters of the military and national security are inseparable and dealt with on a different footing. So, one could argue that there was no cause to adopt a line very different from what most Governments would take.

Which is, that the data is classified and cannot be shared in a manner as to pose a security threat or disclose military capability or readiness.

However, I am hopeful of some positive developments on this front. My discussions with the Defence Ministry and the Prime Minister suggest that we might find a way. I impressed upon them that after more than 4 years since the plane was last seen, our defence capabilities are likely superior to what they used to be. We might at worst risk being mocked at and told that someone slept on the job instead of keeping watch. This is a criticism that has been doing the rounds anyway. I impressed on them there is much to be gained from sharing the data. I have also asked the PM’s intervention to seek Thai and Singapore data as well for the night of 7-8 March 2014. Our commitments on mutual cooperation extends to mutual security assistance and this is a fit case. An unsolved MH370 could well be a safety and security threat to more countries in the region. And, if I may add to the world.

Q: On a different note, has all debris been collected from Madagascar? Has that region received the attention it deserves? It may be worth recalling that all confirmed MH370 debris came from the coastlines of East Africa or islands off that coast.

A: Our lack of effort on this front was shocking. We could commit a couple of hundred million dollars for the underwater search in the southern Indian ocean (SIO) but not a cent in areas where debris landings were predicted near Africa. The Reunion find in 2016 should have triggered intensive inter-governmental efforts to put a search plan in place. Maybe we were committed to the SIO and everything else was a distraction. We wanted dearly to find the black box for instance. No other debris could give us answers we were seeking. So, we perhaps believed.

We are in advance stages of a plan for debris look-out on the coastlines of Somalia, Tanzania, Mozambique, South Africa and the islands of Reunion, Madagascar, Mauritius, and the Maldives. It relies on the ocean drift models of Dr. Patiaratchi, Dr. Griffin and some others. It will involve coastal communities, tourists, fishers, etc. A well laid out communication plan that includes signages, pamphlets, radio and TV, print media, etc. is envisaged. Incentives for reporting and turning over potential debris will be in place. It seems like better late then never. We should not be found wanting in effort or backing up intentions with attention and funds.

Q: It sounds like replicating what the MH families attempted late 2016!

Indeed, they had the right idea. They had Alan Blaine Gibson too there if I remember. He had established some connects with locals in Madagascar and they kept a lookout for debris in his absence. It was a desperate effort under the prevailing circumstances. And a brave one! What the families did and show the way was really what the Government ought to have done. I told the families during one of meetings that I would like my Ministry to reimburse the expenses of the families who undertook the trip to Madagascar and Mauritius and asked for a statement of expenses, bills and receipts. The families would have none of it. They wore the hardships of that journey like a badge. The offer remains on the table.

Q: Will the search company, Ocean Infinity, be back?

A: We remain in touch with the company’s Management. We keenly follow the search successes related to the Argentinian submarine and the S Korean ferry. They have tasted success and only seem to be getting better. Ocean Infinity have expressed a desire to get back to the search for MH370. We welcome that. We are currently working on a less restrictive set of terms that are attractive, and not something that is valid for just one search season. We want to explore if it is feasible for the representatives of the MH families to be on board if they are medically cleared. We remain open to other search companies too who can convince us that their capabilities match Ocean Infinity’s or is superior.

Q: What about money? All what you have talked about will require commitment of funds.

A: Of course. There will be bills to be paid! Within the Government, there is a broad consensus that the plane must be found and no effort must be spared. I have a free hand and also the readiness of my senior colleagues in Government to join me in any mobilization of funds. We have reached out to a dozen friendly countries for a contribution. The response is favorable. China has come forward this time round with a more generous contribution befitting its size, financial muscle and number of lost souls even though as partners our two countries went through a tense initial phase soon after our government assumed office involving cancellation of some deals. Boeing is coming around too to contribute financially. They are a large company with a lot at stake actually. For our growing aviation market, even as we are looking to shore up Malaysian Airlines, we are also looking at our long-range forecasts, strategies and fleet composition options. Airbus set an example in the case of AF447 not too long ago and part funded the search and recovery. We are also finalizing a one-dollar contribution per passenger ticket to a search fund for all journeys originating out of Malaysia for an initial period of 6 months. Funds will be available if the will is there.

Q: What about conspiracy claims, competing theories, pilot suicide and other such chatter in the media?

What do you say to those who believe there are those who are actively working to make sure MH370 is never found?

A: I say they may have less to do with the truth and more to do with competing with Tom Clancy. All I can say is we will follow the data we have, the leads we get. We don't favor one set of leads over another based on the source. If they pass scrutiny, and in the collective wisdom of experts we consult, it merits further action, then we will act. There are vested interests everywhere. Most benefit from getting the facts, knowing the truth, making lives safer and better. There are the few who profit from fear and obscuring the truth for as long as they can. I have made my choice.

Q: Before we close, what would like to say to the MH370 families? The 5-year Remembrance event is around the corner…

A: As you see from this conversation, a lot of our work on MH370 after I took charge has been in line with the families’ stated expectations. I believe they had actionable demands, genuine concerns about airline safety, and justified grievances. I deem it an honor to be invited to the Remembrance event. Besides the personal they have served a precious public purpose. We owe a debt of gratitude to them for not letting MH370 be forgotten. In reminding us of the unfinished search task, they have shone the light on a critical safety gap. We cannot rest easy till we know how we might prevent a recurrence.
01 March 2019

I have often wondered how things might be if all things that seemed the right thing to do as regards MH370 search and investigation (from our perspective) were indeed done by those in charge: people who make decisions, spend millions, ignore or bow to public opinion. I had time to write up this fictitious interview with Malaysia’s Transport Minister while on a train from Salem to Chennai last evening. Felt good. Have shared here.

MTF...P2  Cool

Messages In This Thread
Less Noise and More Signal - by Peetwo - 04-15-2015, 09:28 AM
RE: LGHamiltonUSA - Less Noise and More Signal - by Peetwo - 04-22-2015, 09:58 AM
The trouble with..err muppet whispers..mimimi! - by Peetwo - 04-23-2015, 09:11 AM
RE: LGHamiltonUSA - Less Noise and More Signal - by Kharon - 04-23-2015, 04:24 PM
RE: LGHamiltonUSA - Less Noise and More Signal - by Gobbledock - 04-25-2015, 10:02 PM
RE: LGHamiltonUSA - Less Noise and More Signal - by Peetwo - 04-26-2015, 11:14 AM
RE: LGHamiltonUSA - Less Noise and More Signal - by Peetwo - 04-28-2015, 05:20 PM
RE: Less Noise and More Signal - by Peetwo - 04-29-2015, 12:54 PM
RE: Less Noise and More Signal - by Peetwo - 04-30-2015, 09:26 AM
RE: Less Noise and More Signal - by ventus45 - 04-30-2015, 03:28 PM
RE: Less Noise and More Signal - by Kharon - 05-01-2015, 08:24 AM
RE: Less Noise and More Signal - by Peetwo - 05-05-2015, 11:48 AM
RE: Less Noise and More Signal - by Peetwo - 05-06-2015, 08:31 PM
RE: Less Noise and More Signal - by Gobbledock - 05-06-2015, 10:20 PM
RE: Less Noise and More Signal - by Kharon - 05-07-2015, 07:35 AM
Of politicians and goats - by Gobbledock - 05-07-2015, 08:28 AM
RE: Less Noise and More Signal - by Peetwo - 05-10-2015, 11:55 AM
RE: Less Noise and More Signal - by Kharon - 05-11-2015, 03:35 PM
RE: Less Noise and More Signal - by Peetwo - 05-13-2015, 04:45 PM
RE: Less Noise and More Signal - by Gobbledock - 05-13-2015, 09:08 PM
RE: Less Noise and More Signal - by Kharon - 05-15-2015, 07:38 AM
RE: Less Noise and More Signal - by Peetwo - 05-18-2015, 08:23 AM
The Hitchhikers Guide to the GWM - by Gobbledock - 05-18-2015, 11:06 AM
RE: Less Noise and More Signal - by Kharon - 05-18-2015, 12:42 PM
RE: Less Noise and More Signal - by Peetwo - 05-19-2015, 04:08 PM
RE: Less Noise and More Signal - by FelineNut - 05-19-2015, 06:52 PM
Let there be rock......and there was rock - by Gobbledock - 05-19-2015, 07:15 PM
RE: Less Noise and More Signal - by Peetwo - 05-25-2015, 08:44 AM
RE: Less Noise and More Signal - by Gobbledock - 05-25-2015, 09:48 AM
RE: Less Noise and More Signal - by Peetwo - 05-26-2015, 05:11 PM
RE: Less Noise and More Signal - by Minnie Banister - 05-26-2015, 05:47 PM
RE: Less Noise and More Signal - by Gobbledock - 05-26-2015, 10:49 PM
RE: Less Noise and More Signal - by Peetwo - 05-27-2015, 08:10 AM
RE: Less Noise and More Signal - by Peetwo - 05-30-2015, 11:14 AM
RE: Less Noise and More Signal - by Peetwo - 06-02-2015, 10:28 AM
RE: Less Noise and More Signal - by Gobbledock - 05-30-2015, 02:20 PM
RE: Less Noise and More Signal - by Peetwo - 06-03-2015, 04:02 PM
RE: Less Noise and More Signal - by Peetwo - 06-03-2015, 05:40 PM
RE: Less Noise and More Signal - by Peetwo - 06-04-2015, 02:48 PM