AOPA Australia -

Save Australia's General Aviation from bureaucratic disaster.
[/url]

Alexander Reith Australia

[Image: ItVuekBkItBUUeP-800x450-noPad.jpg?1464764559]
[url=https://www.change.org/u/119349475]

Since 1988 General Aviation has been continually bombarded by bureaucratic rule changes, and fee increases, these changes have undermined GA viability causing a great loss of jobs and services throughout our great continent. Two of our most important GA airports, Bankstown in Sydney and Moorabbin in Melbourne have shrunk in flying movements to much less than half, and oil companies have removed hundreds of refueling points all over Australia. The Civil Aviation Safety Authority was hived off as an independent Commonwealth corporate body only to become a most authoritarian instrument of the Commonwealth Government, exceptional in inventing fees for a myriad of invented paperwork tasks. It was given a brief to rewrite the rules some twenty-eight years ago. Hundreds of millions of dollars later and still not finished, the last tranche of completed rules, in the words of the current CASA Board Chairman, "a mess" (6th May public meeting at Tamworth).

This is nothing short of a disaster for GA. It is time to ask the Parliament for relief, because GA has many facets that this country has great need of, for example the training and practical experience for those who fly our airliners. GA has been so battered that airline pilots are now on the 457 foreign visa worker list. Wonder who is flying you around these days?

General Aviation is needed for outback communities, police work, fire spotting, survey work, agricultural purposes, air ambulance, and mercy flights like Angel Flight, to name just a few. If you know nothing about GA I can imagine that many of you reading this will think about your brushes with an increasingly overbearing bureaucracy, be it local, state or federal government. Our country needs freedom, all we ask is not money, just simple rules like road rules, no problem, just get government off our backs and GA will grow jobs, businesses, opportunity, innovation and services.

Personally I'm retired so no axe to grind, but I want to see the industry of my lifetime career revitalised, and a new generation of aviators, designers, constructors and technicians to advance Australian aviation to all our benefit. I am a long time member of the Australian Aircraft Owners and Pilots Association, this body and virtually the whole industry is strongly campaigning for reforms. Please support this petition, a win for General Aviation will help put the brakes on bureaucracy in general. We need your support, our few voices are not enough.

This petition will be delivered to:
  • The Parliament of Australia

Not good enough.

None of it, not by a long shot if the rumour floating about proves true.  Now it is only hearsay, - for the moment - and I will be getting a look at the real article before too long and should be able to let you all see the problem.  The minutes from meetings which took place in Canberra recently (you know the ones) have been distributed to the ‘interested parties’ to be met by howls of protest.  The minutes have been tinkered with, work-shopped and diluted to best reflect what the powers that be want the government to see.  So say those who know the truth.  I believe a much closer to reality version is being drafted as a counter measure.  We shall see.

It’s appalling when you think about it.  The AOPA crew wanted to have someone take the minutes; not acceptable.   OK, then we want to record it; nope none of that either.  So now the AOPA crew must rely on collective memory version, which, funnily enough, would not stand a cat in Hell’s chance of surviving a challenge.  Lesson One.

It is not only disgusting, but dishonest.  If ever there was a more perfect example why reform of the regulator must happen before anything else, I don’t know what it is.  An executive, senior panel from a government safety department all prepared to swear that the minutes they provided are accurate.  Lesson 2.

The wriggle is of course, the minutes provided are probably ‘accurate’, as far as they go. Now AOPA must prove the missing parts do, in fact, exist and the ‘editing’ done flawed. Lesson 3.

I cannot begin to express my contempt for this action nor my disgust in a minister who will read those minutes and believe them.   Not that Darren will ever read ‘em; I doubt he can even tie his own boot laces.  

Aye, Perfidy thy name is CASA (ably assisted by ‘the department’).

MTF a racing certainty - if I can winnow the truth of it.

Why am I not surprised K.
A DAS who is either a coward, completely inept, a fool, or all three, being manipulated by an "Iron Ring"of incredibly incompetent managers, all puppets of a Murky mandarin. The board powerless, a board in name only, and over them all ineffectual and disinterested politicians.

We have all seen the levels the CASA grubs will stoop to. Perjury, perverting the course of justice, bribery, intimidation and bullying. Time and time again with impunity.

Arranging the doctoring of the minutes of a meeting is small potatoes for someone like Murky.
A pox on them all.

Latest from the Prez - Wink

[Image: The-Prez.jpg]

Also from AOPA all members will receive or have received the following email/correspondence:
Quote:
[Image: eAOPAInformationHeader.141613.jpg]

An important message from AOPA Australia ...

Dear Member,

AOPA have been involved in high level meetings chaired by the Deputy Secretary of the Department of Transport and attended by DAS Skidmore and other representatives from CASA.  A lot of major issues were covered in a full and frank manner.

At this stage AOPA isn’t happy with the minutes from this meeting, as we feel they lack the detail of the discussions. We have sent back our desired changes, and once these have been agreed to we’ll be releasing them.

One of the key problems we found is that the DAS thinks the industry is in good shape. We feel otherwise. The Department of Transport are getting two different stories, and want to see evidence about the effects of the over regulation CASA are imposing on industry, which the regulator always justifies in the name of safety.

Can you, our members please take the time to give us real world examples where over regulation has affected the aviation activities you participate in. We need more examples beyond Part 61.
If we are to succeed in bringing about change it’s vital we show the evidence that CASA’s regulations are driving our industry backwards.

Email: editor@aopa.com.au

We are also fighting for medical reform. CASA are proposing to follow the new model put forwards by the UK CAA, which on the surface seems like a big step forwards. But the devil is in the detail. Basically it has the potential to become another debacle like the RPL, where people with pre-existing conditions are still completely excluded.

We are pushing for a system for Class 2 medicals for day VFR that would give the DAME greater control over this area of certification, even with so called ‘complex cases’.  The risk a private pilot presents flying 50 hours a year day VFR is far different from a private pilot flying a twin 250 hours a year under the IFR.  Current AVMED certification policy doesn’t allow these differences to be taken into account in assessing the risk a candidate poses.

We need your suggestions. What do you want to see happen to Class 2 certification for day VFR? Do we want to try for a system like that being proposed in the United States? Under their proposals once a pilot holds a class 3 (same as our class 2) they never have to get another FAA medical again and can fly IFR with six passengers up to 14,000 feet.  Our medical board members feel it would be very difficult to get this introduced, but what’s your opinion?

Same email:  editor@aopa.com.au

Please take the time to help us with these two important requests.

Mark Smith
Director, AOPA.
Editor, Australian Pilot.

And this was Sandy's prompt reply... Rolleyes
Quote:In response to AOPA's Editor Mark Smith's request for member opinions.

1/. The Canberra meetings and minutes.

The membership should be advised that there were in fact two meetings. The Department split AOPA from TAAAF with the excuse that there were two papers to consider. In reality there is only one consideration:- that is that GA needs radical reform if it is to be viable and grow. Its obvious that it was to the Department's advantage, divide and rule, to be able to say that we are not united. The two bodies have combined points of agreement for the same goal. The details have little to do with the main game:- what will government do to revitalise aviation? These meetings were initiated from Tamworth, the mandate clearly was for one meeting and government should have provided a response to the concerns expressed. 

With respect I consider that the meeting should have been recorded by us so that we, the membership, can clearly appreciate what transpired at the meeting.

What action does the Department propose? As far as Mr. Skidmore is concerned his opinion has no value because he fails to grasp where GA was, and where it should be, and that his massive over regulation and expensive prescriptive type regime is totally against the flow of deregulation as coming from the US, UK and deregulation is even gaining recognition in the EU. Criminal sanctions of strict liability to the nth degree do not make flying safer and are not compatible with our freedoms. Mr. Skidmore, of 'Tiger Team' fame, refuses to acknowledge the seriousness of nearly 300 submissions to the ASRR, and has done little to implement government policy from the Forsyth review. Mr Skidmore's take is totally at odds with Board Chairman Jeff Boyd. Jeff Boyd's opinion expressed at Tamworth was that the rules, still not finished after 28 years and hundreds of millions wasted, are a mess. Jeff Boyd understands what poor regulation does to business, it was a major reason he relinquished Brindabella. 

2/. Medicals:-  From all the surveys there is no safety case to maintain aviation specific medicals, confirmed by careful evaluation in the US and UK.

AOPA directors whose livelihoods and careers depend, or depended on aviation medicals cannot present factual evidence, surveys, to support their case.

In any case their direct vested interests should preclude them from voting on a liberalising measure which will save millions and help put GA back on the map.

Niceties are all very well but GA in this country is going down the drain, we can't afford to waste time, DAMES for PPL medicals are not required and clearly such direct, single issue vested interests should not dictate AOPA policy.

Car driver medicals are totally sufficient, variations between VFR and IFR and hours spent flying are not correlated in regards to medical incapacitation. We can all have various opinions but they should not be policy without hard facts. What is correlated by statistics is that pilots who fly regularly have less accidents. Much like taxi drivers who rarely have fatal accidents. Compare driving to flying, much less risk for third party accident involvement in the case of an aircraft accident. Why do airliners have two pilots? I suggest one main reason because medical science cannot predict an incapacitating event, which occurs four or five times yearly in the US airlines in spite of Class One medicals. 

3/. As for real world experiences of how GA is suffering, your circular asks for member experiences. 

Why? Is this a joke? Show evidence GA is going backwards? Ok class, pay attention:- 
I have to say that one could be forgiven for thinking that AOPA is being led down the garden path. There is no point whatever in going around in circles at the behest of the Department to waste time, to divert us, for them to obfuscate, muddy the waters. 

We all know this:-

ASRR, fuel companies pulling hundreds of refueling facilities, airport movements way down, stagnant or reducing hours flown, numbers of charter operators and flying schools from hundreds to handfuls, developer encroachment on airport land, unnecessary CASA fees, delayed certificates of all sorts, botched reports, SIDs, CVD pilots having to fight again. Biennial flight reviews for experienced and regular flying pilots. No independent instructors. No proper LAME apprenticeship and loss of LAME numbers. ADS B, individuals like Clark Butson of Polar Aviation in unnecessary court battles or hounded out. CASA numbers grown from 640 to 830, average wage $130k, blown out budget. For starters.

They are perfectly well aware of the parlous situation for GA. Don't play along with them any more.

The Department and CASA will do anything to brush it all under the carpet. They have their interests at heart, not ours. Only political action will make a difference. Why not advertise my Change.org petition again, now about 1600 supporters? A big number will help our cause. Action is required, another meeting, with an attendance record, including email addresses and an agenda with motions framed, should be on the planning board, suggest SY. The Ben Morgan inspired momentum should be maintained. Waiting for a nice communique from Department is a waste of time, especially with the election looming. 

Sandy

MTF...P2 Tongue

A little chicken; or chicken little.

Nulli Secundus
.  Choc Frog.

Quote:Would this be the same Dick Smith who quite recently recommended to the GA community .........' Get out while you still can".

Dick Smith, when people get out of GA the need for goods and services will of course decline. Why are you surprised when you find yourself in this position? (Too few suppliers and no price competition). For mine, you're unmistakably playing a part in the contraction of the GA industry.

How's about a little less observation and more activism. I understand you're supportive of AOPA's president Marc de Stoop and his approach to the GA issues. I would suggest you counsel him to put a hold on his Project Eureka, get that disaster of a website modernized, attractive to prospective new members and CURRENT (GAAP airports news... really???), put a target on new annual membership growth and gain a critical mass of aviation people that will mean real influence. (After over a year into the role Marc finally acknowledges, to some degree at least, the massive difference between AOPA USA and Australia's AOPA, and the significantly disproportionately low membership here).

A growing GA will get to a tipping point where its sustainability and stability is far more likely once the sector’s leaders such as yourself back a regeneration programm

The post above, cribbed from UP is a valid argument; across the board, one I can support.  Dick achieved more benefit to and did more good for the GA cause during his ‘chats’ with Macca on ABC radio than he ever managed when he was ‘in office’.  A simple clear message folk could understand and relate to.  That easily forgotten empathy could/should have been reinforced by more of the same and I feel certain that other ‘celebrity’ commentators, such as Alan Jones (sorry, don’t know of many others) would be pleased to give Dick a little air time – in a good cause.  

Then; the ‘fireside’ chat with the Senate committee.  That was IMO a milestone; they were ‘on-side’ still reeling from the discoveries made during the Pel-Air inquiry, pissed off that their recommendations went onto the ’only an opinion’ pile and were starting to realise that the work of the good Rev. Forsyth was heading to the same pile.  What an audience, what a great place to get the point made to influential folk who can (could), in a heartbeat, set the winds of change (real change) in motion.

Dick may, or may not, depending on your own inclination, have done much for GA; but, for me at least all was forgiven after the events above.  I’m not sure, in fact I don’t know why Dick stopped banging those drums and switched to the ‘the sky is falling’ story line.  But the industry needs Dick out on the hustings, particularly now with the imminent election and the sensitivity politicians seem to develop during this period.  

Which takes us to De Stoop and his AOPA push for sanity.  Met the man, had a coffee, liked him and he is no ones fool; not by a long shot.  I get the impression that he is learning ‘on the job’, learning fast; and counts Tamworth as work experience.  I believe it will be worth watching AOPA grow back to what it should be; and it will, make no mistake.  The ‘Prez’ as P2 dubbed him, is formulating a way forward for his small outfit which, IMO is the right path.  The group is currently trapped between a rock and a hard place, mostly due to the past but also due to the uncertainty of the future.  Performance generates credibility. Credibility generates membership; alliances provide support. A simple clearly defined message – ala ‘Dick’ could just, with a little luck and a big, united push help repair the incredible damage and carnage the CASA have inflicted or enforced on an industry.

Forget for moment it’s Dick Smith, think on the benefits he brings and do all you can to get him back on hustings, doing what he does so very well – selling the story.  Forget it’s AOPA for a moment and consider what benefits may gained by having another well informed, internationally recognised and supported lobby group, joining in with the excellent TAAAF and the associated groups.

This is not a time to be worrying at old bones; the GA sector is all but moribund.  Lets get it back to being a going concern before we start grinding rusty axes and begin the inevitable in-fighting.  There’ll be little left to squabble over if the wolfs get past the flimsy, rotting gates.

Anyway; that’s my two bob’s worth; I reckon Nulli earned a choc fog for a well aimed dart.

“Why so serious Son?” -  “Cos we are in a lot of shit; and, its rising, that’s why.”

Selah.

Quote:[Image: e642fa79ed379e14ac0bce88d7402d591a7d5b2a]

Monday, 20th June 2016

The Hon Bill Shorten
Leader of the Labor Party
Suite 1A, 12 Hall Street
Mooney Ponds VIC 3039, Australia
bill.shorten.mp@aph.gov.au

The 94,000+ Users of the Aviation Advertiser Network and 
the various national and state media representatives attached.

Australia’s general aviation industry calls on
Mr Bill Shorten and Labor to meet before election.

Mr Bill Shorten MP and Labor,

My name is Benjamin Morgan and I am the Chief Executive of the Aviation Advertiser Digital an aircraft sales and marketing service based in Australia.  Our services are used by over 94,000 users across Australia, comprising of pilots, aircraft owners, aviation business proprietors, aviation enthusiasts and supporters.  I am also a Director of the Aircraft Owners and Pilots Association which represents approximately 3,000 members in Australia.

Mr Shorten, as an Australian and as an aviation business owner I have become disillusioned by the quagmire of unnecessary bureaucracy and regulation that is suffocating our general aviation industry - sending it bankrupt.  Worse still, I have become disillusioned by the lack of any serious political leadership on the issues which are affecting us.

Our industry is governed by a department and a regulator which are vastly disconnected to the realities and the challenges that face the hard working men and women in aviation across the country.  Unless a diverse and broad platform of regulatory reform is undertaken by the government, the general aviation industry across Australia will continue to decline and will collapse into bankruptcy.  

It is clear that the future for our general aviation industry now rests in political hands.  I am calling on you Mr Shorten and Labor’s sense of a fair go for all Australians to help save our industry.  Our industry's leadership are unified and are at the ready to help you and the Labor party define the necessary policies to help rescue and empower our industry for growth and prosperity.

Core values our industry stands by:

- Only regulate when necessary and do so proportionately
- Deregulate everywhere we can and reduce cost to industry
- Help create a vibrant and dynamic general aviation industry

With the election now weeks away, there is time to hold a constructive meeting, whereby the Labor party can provide a powerful public policy position for our industry to provide its broad support for this election.  

Mr Shorten, if you could please provide a time to meet, I and the industry leadership shall be happy to travel to meet you, wherever best suits you.

I and our industry eagerly await your response.

Yours sincerely,

BENJAMIN MORGAN
Chief Executive - Aviation Advertiser Digital Group

Telephone: (02) 8215 6292
Mobile: 0415 577 724
Email: bmorgan@aviationadvertiser.com.au 

Mailing Address:
PO BOX 465
Edgecliff NSW 2027
Australia
&... to the PM Malcolm:
Quote:[Image: e642fa79ed379e14ac0bce88d7402d591a7d5b2a]

Monday, 20th June 2016

The Hon Malcolm Turnbull
Prime Minister and
Leader of the Liberal Party of Australia
PO Box 6004
Kingston ACT 2604 Australia
campaign@liberal.org.au

The 94,000+ Users of the Aviation Advertiser Network and 
the various national and state media representatives attached.

Australia’s general aviation industry calls on the 
Liberal Party of Australia to reform aviation regulations.

Mr Malcolm Turnbull,

My name is Benjamin Morgan and I am the Chief Executive of the Aviation Advertiser (www.aviationadvertier.com.au) an aircraft sales and marketing service based in Australia.  Our services are used by over 94,000 users across Australia, comprising of pilots, aircraft owners, aviation business proprietors, aviation enthusiasts and supporters.  I am also a Director of the Aircraft Owners and Pilots Association which represents approximately 3,000 members in Australia.

On the 6th of May 2016, I organised an aviation rally at Tamworth Regional Airport.  The purpose of the rally was to highlight to the Liberal/National coalition the desperate state of our industry, calling on the Deputy Prime Minister, Mr Barnaby Joyce and Minister for Infrastructure and Regional Development, Mr Darren Chester, to take action.

As an Australian and as an aviation business owner I have become disillusioned (as have thousands of others in our industry) by the quagmire of unnecessary bureaucracy and regulation that is suffocating our general aviation industry - sending it bankrupt.  Worse still, I have become disillusioned by the lack of any serious political leadership by the Liberal Party of Australia on the issues which are affecting us so greatly.

This position was highlighted by the inability of Mr Joyce or Mr Chester to provide any meaningful position or perspectives to the attendees of the aviation rally.  They both simply resigned themselves to public statements of having no idea about aviation and deferred the industry to deal with bureaucrats, whom have no motivation to see broad change occur.

Our industry is governed by a department and a regulator which are vastly disconnected to the realities and the challenges that face the hard working men and women in aviation across this country.  They have made entering and setting up aviation businesses cost prohibitive and have devalued investment within our industry, guiding the general aviation industry into serious and perilous decline.

Our industry requires a strong and clear political intervention to end this bureaucratic nightmare.

Unless a diverse and broad platform of regulatory reform is undertaken by the government, the general aviation industry across Australia will continue to decline and will collapse into bankruptcy.

I am calling on you Mr Turnbull as leader of the Liberal Party of Australia to stand by the men and women of general aviation and to save our industry from the bureaucrats and show strong political leadership on this issue.

If you honestly believe that this is the greatest time to be an Australian, then stand with us and transform our industry into an economic powerhouse by broadly reforming our antiquated and dysfunctional regulatory framework.  Our industry's leadership are unified and are at the ready to help you and the Liberal Party of Australia define the necessary policies to help rescue and empower our industry for growth and prosperity.

Core values our industry stands by:

- Only regulate when necessary and do so proportionately
- Deregulate everywhere we can and reduce cost to industry
- Help create a vibrant and dynamic general aviation industry

With the election now weeks away, there is time to hold a constructive meeting, whereby the Liberal Party of Australia can provide a powerful public policy position for our industry to provide its broad support for this election.  

Mr Turnbull, if you could please provide a time to meet, I and the industry leadership shall be happy to travel to meet you, wherever best suits you.

I and our industry eagerly await your response.

Yours sincerely,

BENJAMIN MORGAN
Chief Executive - Aviation Advertiser Digital Group

Telephone: (02) 8215 6292
Mobile: 0415 577 724
Email: bmorgan@aviationadvertiser.com.au 

Mailing Address:
PO BOX 465
Edgecliff NSW 2027
Australia.

MTF...P2 Tongue

Skidmore now the problem - Huh  via OzFlying:

Quote:[Image: AOPA_logo_5B563F10-5C0C-11E5-A89F02ED0340CAB3.jpg]

AOPA stunned over CASA GA Health Comments
30 June 2016

The Aircraft Owners and Pilots Association (AOPA) has hit back at comments from CASA Director of Aviation Safety Mark Skidmore that elements of the general aviation industry are in good health.

In a circular to members, AOPA CEO Aaron Stephenson said that Skidmore made the comments during a meeting between themselves, the Department of Transport and Infrastructure and CASA held in Canberra on 25 May this year.

"My lasting impression of the meeting was that the DAS believes  the GA Industry in Australia 'is in good shape'," Stephenson said.

"We completely disagreed with this assessment. I came away from the meeting convinced this is our single biggest problem. It’s collectively our challenge to convince him he is wrong.

"Why we should have to do this beggars belief."

When asked to clarify Skidmore's remarks, a CASA spokesperson told Australian Flying "the Director has spoken on a number of occasions with AOPA and other members of the general aviation community about many issues relevant to general aviation.

"During these conversations AOPA have made the claim that general aviation is in decline. Mark has simply asked for evidence and information to support this claim. This information would allow CASA to look carefully at the issues relevant to safety regulation and identify any responses CASA should make.

"When CASA looks at data such as registrations the number of aircraft on the register has been growing over recent years.  In 2010-11 there were 14,362 aircraft on the register, in 2014-15 there were 15,287."

The most current figures available from the Bureau of Infrastructure, Transport and Regional Economics (BITRE) cover the calendar year 2013, and show a growth in general aviation hours flown of 5.3% compared with 2012.

The areas showing the greatest increase were Test and Ferry (14.6%), Aerial Work (11.4%), Training (5.0%) and business (0.6%).

Three sectors showed decreases: Agriculture (-10.4%), Charter (-3.2%) and Private (-0.6%).

In the nine recording years 2005-2013, BITRE figures show that general aviation flying hours increased 12.4% from 3.3 million to 3.7 million per year.
Figures for 2014 and beyond are not yet available.

Read more at http://www.australianflying.com.au/lates...H8lCwOV.99

Pitching stats against CASA is a no win situation, they can simply manipulate the figures to paint the picture they want portrayed.
As an example here are the figures that Pinocchio quotes from BITRE:

Quote:Key Indicators

Total hours flown by Australian VH registered aircraft in the General Aviation and Regional Airline sectors were 2 million in 2013, an increase of 5.3 per cent compared with the previous year. Activity in the General Aviation sector rose in 2013, with an increase in flying hours of 2.2 per cent to 1.7 million hours. Regional Airlines recorded an increase of 31.3 per cent in flying hours. Three flying categories showed a decrease in activity—Agriculture (down by 10.4 per cent), Charter (down by 3.2 per cent), and Private flying (down by 0.6 per cent).

Charter and Aerial Work flying made up the two largest activity categories in the General Aviation sector, representing 27.9 per cent and 23.6 per cent respectively of all General Aviation flying hours during 2013. Training hours was the third largest activity category (21.8%). Private and Business flying together represented 20.8 per cent of total General Aviation activity.

In 2013 increases in flying hours in General Aviation were recorded in Test and Ferry (14.6 per cent), Aerial Work (11.4 per cent), Training (5.0 per cent), and Business (0.3 per cent).

The number of aircraft covered by the survey increased 9.3 per cent in 2013 to 13 585. The number of fixed wing, single engine aircraft increased by 7.5 per cent to 9 076, or 66.8 per cent of all registered aircraft in the General Aviation and Regional Airline sectors. Fixed wing, multi-engine aircraft increased by 13.1 per cent to 2 053 (15.1 per cent of the total). The number of helicopters increased by 14.3 per cent to 2 077 (15.3 per cent of the total), with the number of single engine helicopters increasing by 14.2 per cent to 1 850 and the number of multi-engine helicopters increasing by 15.2 per cent to 227.

In 2013, 1 398 amateur-built aircraft accounted for 10.3 per cent of all aircraft in the General Aviation and Regional Airline fleet. This represents a 7.4 per cent increase over the number of amateur-built aircraft in 2012 (1 302 aircraft).

The Australian General Aviation and Regional Airline fleet contains many older aircraft, with the average age being 27.9 years, which is an increase compared to 2012 (27.7 years). A total of 658 thousand hours (or 32.7 per cent of all flying) were performed in aircraft under 11 years old, 388.4 thousand hours (19.3 per cent) in aircraft aged between 11 and 20 years old, 293.1 thousand hours (14.6 per cent) in aircraft between 21 and 30 years old and 670.6 thousand hours (33.4 per cent) in aircraft over 30 years old.

The average age of the Regional Airline fleet increased from 17.4 to 18.7 years between 2012 and 2013. The majority of Regional Airline flying hours are conducted by turboprop aircraft (87.8 per cent), with piston engine aircraft accounting for 2 per cent, and jet aircraft for 10.2 per cent.

Note how the figures above only refer to the difference between 2012 & 2013. This, IMO, is very devious and is probably why Skidmore chose to use those figures. To provide balance if we refer to the comprehensive statistics (in the chart that followed) for the decade between 2003-2013, we see a very different picture:
[Image: GA-Stats-2003-to-2013.jpg] 
Taking the peak of 2010 and comparing to 2013 there was a reduction of 65,800 flying hours (- 3%). There many examples in there that I can pull out, however if we are talking about GA flying perhaps one of the better indicators of decline IMO is found in avgas sales:

Quote:Aviation gasoline (avgas) fuel sales
[Image: avgas_sales.gif] 
Aviation gasoline fuel sales (megalitres)
Quarter
Actual Sales
Jun 2012
Sep 2012
Dec 2012
Mar 2013
Jun 2013
Sep 2013
Dec 2013
Mar 2014
Jun 2014
Sep 2014
Dec 2014
Mar 2015
Jun 2015
Sep 2015

MTF...P2 Cool

AOPA summation 25 May Dept/CASA meeting:via the Yaffa. 

Thank you Hitch for the update & AOPA minutes link... Wink

Quote:[Image: AOPA_Project_Eureka_web.jpg]Project Eureka was the Aircraft Owners and Pilots Association "last stand" document to sway the governments and bureaucrats into revitalising general aviation in Australia.

Project Eureka Canberra Meeting: the Outcomes
4 July 2016

On 25 May, the Aircraft Owners and Pilots Association met with representatives of CASA and the Department of Infrastructure and Regional Developent (DIRD) to go through the merits of AOPA's Project Eureka and thrash out issues effecting the growth of general aviation.

Either CASA or DIRD responded to each issue raided by the Project Eureka team, and in many cases AOPA came away with action items to provide further information for the government to act on.

Read more at http://www.australianflying.com.au/lates...T1Bqqks.99

Quote:Dear Member,

Our President, Marc De Stoop, provided this summation of the Canberra Dept Meeting:

Following on from the May rally in Tamworth, I together with Ben Morgan, Gary Beck & Ken Cannane travelled to Canberra on 25 May 2016 for a Eureka meeting at the invitation of Shane Carmody Dept Secretary of the Dept of Infrastructure and Regional Development. Mr Carmody chaired the meeting. CASA’s three most senior representatives were also present. DAS, Mark Skidmore , and two recent appointments to head the new CASA restructured Divisions; Graeme Crawford, Group Manager Aviation Group and Rob Walker, Group Manager Stakeholder Engagement.

The Department of Infrastructure also had present Pip Spence, Executive Director Aviation and Airports and Jim Wolfe, General Manager Air Traffic Policy.

The purpose of the meeting was to present Project Eureka and to demonstrate to the Dept that the Industry is need of regulatory reform and that AOPA has the answers to revitalize the GA Industry in Australia.

Dept Secretary Carmody has been tasked to provide a Brief to the incoming Government on what reforms are needed, if any, to solve the GA industry problems.

All in all the meeting went very well with all present listening intently to our concerns and our suggested remedies. Everybody was very appreciative of the effort AOPA has put into Project Eureka. However, we must not back off on the political campaign to bring about change. This meeting would not have happened if Ben Morgan’s Aviation Advertisers Tamworth Rally had not exposed both Minister Chester and the Dept PM Barnaby Joyce to the very uncomfortable public blow torch of disgruntled grass root GA industry members.

AOPA’s view is if we are to achieve reform, in a timetable acceptable to industry, we must keep the pressure on the politicians to force the Dept and CASA to act NOW.

My lasting impression of the meeting was that the DAS believes the GA Industry in Australia "is in good shape". We completely disagreed with this assessment. I came away from the meeting convinced this is our single biggest problem. It’s collectively our challenge to convince him he is wrong. Why we should have to do this beggars belief.

I think the greatest achievement of the meeting was to get the Dept involved, right in the centre, of the problems and into a role to "mediate" change between Industry and CASA. Meeting one on one with CASA over the years has proved fruitless, as we all know. Now that we have engaged the Dept in this process we are exposing the inactivity of previous Ministers and the Secretary of the Dept to bring CASA to account. At the end of the day unless we get the Dept to change the Act we won’t achieve reform. As I see it the DAS and CASA can hide behind the Act. We must harmonise our Act with overseas countries and then clean out the old middle guard management at CASA to implement reform. Wholesale staff changes in the middle management must happen at CASA. I’m hopeful the new externally appointed Group Heads have the courage to carry out that task.

Please find below a record of outcomes / minutes and PLEASE provide responses of your individual experiences where AOPA has been requested to provide examples of the industry problems we have outlined in the various industry segments.

AOPA 2016 Conference

AOPA is planning a conference, rather than another rally, in August 2016 when we have a new Govt . The aim being to keep our concerns centre stage. In keeping with the Eureka theme, we have the answers, we plan to invite senior representatives from overseas industry bodies and regulators. Government will be invited to participate. We are planning to have representatives from the UK, US & NZ in attendance.to demonstrate to our Govt how to reform. "Show them the way" will be the theme. We will keep you posted as plans develop.

Regards,

Aaron Stephenson - CEO aaron.stephenson@aopa.com.au
MTF...P2 Tongue

Uncle Dick’s tea party.

Not sure what to make of the latest ‘Dick Smith’ gambit.  Seems there is to be ‘wake’, partly for the GA industry and partly to mourn the loss of his wee jet.  The motivation for the doom and gloom approach is unclear; and, the strategy is likely to produce a negative.  Beats me.

It all seems counterproductive; this at a time when ‘industry’ is beset by property developers, is ruled by an out of touch administration which seems hell bent on maximising complication and costs, in the name of ‘safety’.  Perhaps it’s time the relics and fossils of a bygone era took a seat in the back row, no disrespect but this is a modern war. The old guard have allowed the opposition to create such a weight of law, such a jungle of complication and expense that they have become almost unassailable.  

Industry players, large and small poured their collective hearts, minds and hopes into the ASRR; the Senate Pel-Air inquiry should have been a watershed; both more in need of a wake than Dick’s aircraft.

What’s needed (IMO) is more support for folk like Marc De Stoop; he has taken up the AOPA gauntlet which is a man sized job and has poured his business acumen, money and time into building a flying operation.  Building and repairing bridges between the alphabet soup groups, getting involved, telling it like it is and backing that opinion.  This is one man’s pragmatic approach to the obvious problems industry faces. It may be wrong, it may be right, who knows; but, at least he is in the ring punching, not a sign of a towel being thrown in.

Dick did, for a while there make a difference; the fireside chat with the Senators, the radio interviews with Macca; all great stuff.  A little more of that would have put GA on the public map and in the minds of politicians who could make a difference. So why quit? Why run about the place screaming that the sky is falling?  I say if Dick wants out and wants to flog his wee jet, that is his prerogative and certainly none of  my business; but, why make a negative statement when a positive can be generated?  Why not use the credibility and talent in a helpful manner. Like tell the tale of the Rev Forsyth to the press, explain the what and the why of the thing; explain how it is being denigrated to an ‘opinion’; explain who is driving that attitude and why.

No doubt there will be howls and brickbats on the UP; the usual hair pulling, which is a waste of opportunity.  Like it or not, Dick has a lot more juice than the ‘usual’ suspects on Up to make a difference, a real difference.  Perhaps that energy could be used to persuade Dick to pick up the baton and finish the job he started; that of making the public aware of just what is happening to a once thriving industry because of mindless, destructive, unaccountable system of administration, which cannot believe they are wrong or hear anything other than their own lunacy paraded as ‘safety’ speak to half witted politicians who could care less; if they tried.

Well, that’s half a page and I still can’t work out what the hell Dick is playing at.

No matter, so long as the industry remains fragmented, disunited and afraid to speak out, Dick’s little tea party will not make a skerrick of difference.  You can’t score runs sat in the pavilion.

Toot toot.

Quote:"K" - "..Dick did, for a while there make a difference; the fireside chat with the Senators, the radio interviews with Macca; all great stuff.  A little more of that would have put GA on the public map and in the minds of politicians who could make a difference. So why quit? Why run about the place screaming that the sky is falling?  I say if Dick wants out and wants to flog his wee jet, that is his prerogative and certainly none of my business; but, why make a negative statement when a positive can be generated?  Why not use the credibility and talent in a helpful manner. Like tell the tale of the Rev Forsyth to the press, explain the what and the why of the thing; explain how it is being denigrated to an ‘opinion’; explain who is driving that attitude and why...

..Well, that’s half a page and I still can’t work out what the hell Dick is playing at..."

You and me both Ferryman, you and me both - Huh

Ben Morgan no shrinking violet - Rolleyes
While on the subject of the Alphabets etc. and in particular AOPA, I note that Binger wrote in the Australian today: Benjamin Morgan, Aircraft Owners and Pilots Association new boss 
Quote:The Aircraft Owners and Pilots Association has appointed a new chief executive to help drive memberships and lead its lobbying efforts in Canberra.

The AOPA — which represents 2600 general aviation aircraft owners and pilots in private, commercial charter and airline operations across Australia — has appointed Benjamin Morgan to replace its outgoing CEO Aaron Stephenson.

Mr Morgan is a current director of AOPA and also the chief executive of the Aviation Advertiser, an aircraft sales and marketing service used by more than 94,000 aircraft operators across the country.

He comes to the role at a time when AOPA’s membership ranks have fallen far below its peak of 10,000 members. Much of that decline has coincided with what AOPA has described as the destruction of the general aviation sector in Australia which it says is collapsing under the weight of onerous regulation.

Mr Morgan has been a vocal critic of what he sees as overregulation of the operation of aircraft in Australian skies and has lobbied hard to overturn rules that force heavy costs on aircraft owners.

“With regard to GA policy, it is essential that AOPA continues to work with government and the regulator on the core issues of regulatory reform. AOPA’s Project Eureka, a brief to government to revitalise the general aviation industry in Australia, is a great example of the hard work and dedication our organisation continues to invest into supporting general aviation,” Mr Morgan said.

“It is clear that our current system is not working and aviation is suffering. There are too many aviation businesses facing hard and desperate times. That said, we must establish a powerful working relationship with government and the regulator.”

There is no doubt that Ben Morgan has both the energy and the passion, so good luck to him... Wink

MTF...P2  Tongue

Ps Also Alphabet related, for those interested, is my post on Skimore Corner -  Oliver the chameleon? - UDB!  Confused

(07-15-2016, 12:43 PM)Peetwo Wrote:  
Quote:"K" - "..Dick did, for a while there make a difference; the fireside chat with the Senators, the radio interviews with Macca; all great stuff.  A little more of that would have put GA on the public map and in the minds of politicians who could make a difference. So why quit? Why run about the place screaming that the sky is falling?  I say if Dick wants out and wants to flog his wee jet, that is his prerogative and certainly none of my business; but, why make a negative statement when a positive can be generated?  Why not use the credibility and talent in a helpful manner. Like tell the tale of the Rev Forsyth to the press, explain the what and the why of the thing; explain how it is being denigrated to an ‘opinion’; explain who is driving that attitude and why...

..Well, that’s half a page and I still can’t work out what the hell Dick is playing at..."

You and me both Ferryman, you and me both - Huh

Ben Morgan no shrinking violet - Rolleyes
While on the subject of the Alphabets etc. and in particular AOPA, I note that Binger wrote in the Australian today: Benjamin Morgan, Aircraft Owners and Pilots Association new boss 
Quote:The Aircraft Owners and Pilots Association has appointed a new chief executive to help drive memberships and lead its lobbying efforts in Canberra.

The AOPA — which represents 2600 general aviation aircraft owners and pilots in private, commercial charter and airline operations across Australia — has appointed Benjamin Morgan to replace its outgoing CEO Aaron Stephenson.

Mr Morgan is a current director of AOPA and also the chief executive of the Aviation Advertiser, an aircraft sales and marketing service used by more than 94,000 aircraft operators across the country.

He comes to the role at a time when AOPA’s membership ranks have fallen far below its peak of 10,000 members. Much of that decline has coincided with what AOPA has described as the destruction of the general aviation sector in Australia which it says is collapsing under the weight of onerous regulation.

Mr Morgan has been a vocal critic of what he sees as overregulation of the operation of aircraft in Australian skies and has lobbied hard to overturn rules that force heavy costs on aircraft owners.

“With regard to GA policy, it is essential that AOPA continues to work with government and the regulator on the core issues of regulatory reform. AOPA’s Project Eureka, a brief to government to revitalise the general aviation industry in Australia, is a great example of the hard work and dedication our organisation continues to invest into supporting general aviation,” Mr Morgan said.

“It is clear that our current system is not working and aviation is suffering. There are too many aviation businesses facing hard and desperate times. That said, we must establish a powerful working relationship with government and the regulator.”

And from Oz Flying:
Quote:[Image: Ben_Morgan.jpg]Ben Morgan addresses the industry rally at Tamworth in May 2016. (Steve Hitchen)

Ben Morgan takes over as AOPA CEO
15 July 2016

General aviation activist Ben Morgan has taken over as CEO of the Aircraft Owners and Pilots Association (AOPA).

Morgan has replaced Aaron Stephenson who reportedly left to concentrate on private business concerns.

Morgan, the CEO of Aviation Advertiser, led the industry rally at Tamworth last May and also formed part of the Project Eureka team that met with government representatives in Canberra a few weeks later. He is also on the AOPA board.

AOPA has said that Morgan has "youth, business acumen and a strong desire to get aviation moving again in Australia."

Morgan will be working full-time to help grow AOPA’s membership as well as taking a key role in the association's fight to reform of the GA industry.

The AOPA board has also been strengthened with the appointment of well-known aviation Baz Scheffers, the co-founder of electronic flight book OzRunways.
AOPA President Marc De Stoop is enthusiastic about the new members of the AOPA board.

“With these two additions we have the ability to really try and engage with a younger membership base, something that is vital to both our organisation and the industry,” he said.

De Stoop also paid tribute to outgoing CEO Stephenson.

“Aaron has worked hard to help members with problems involving the regulator, specifically with medical issues as well as being a key player in the electronic version of the Pilots Guide.”

“It has been Aaron’s work, along with Phillip Reiss’s presidency, that financially saved AOPA. Thankfully we aren’t losing him completely as he will remain, assisting the board with advocacy in various roles as required.”

AOPA currently has around 2600 members.

Read more at http://www.australianflying.com.au/lates...xVyx4dQ.99

There is no doubt that Ben Morgan has both the energy and the passion, so good luck to him... Wink

MTF...P2  Tongue

Ps Also Alphabet related, for those interested, is my post on Skimore Corner -  Oliver the chameleon? - UDB!  Confused

(07-15-2016, 08:33 AM)kharon Wrote:  Uncle Dick’s tea party.

Following on from Dick's 'wake' thread of the UP, today there was this addition to the thread:
Quote:wren 460 , 19th Jul 2016 11:59

Dick's earned the right to make it as he sees it.

Quote:Originally Posted by Stanwell

Quite so, Styx.
So, what are you chaps going to do then? .. What's your plan?
Stand there like a rabbit in the headlights, having hopeful and positive thoughts?

Or ... use every means possible to draw attention to what's happening?
Sniping at Dick is a null response. When Dick was in charge at CASA it was like dawn breaking, when he left the darkness descended again and it's been growing darker ever since.

If Dick gets worldwide publicity then so much the better, Australia needs the embarrassment in order for the message to be rammed home to the body politic. Dick still supports GA, he and I and one other GA personality have commissioned a report into the failure of the regulatory regime and the consequent decline of GA. The aim is to persuade politicians to cause reform for growth.

It's far from the first time that Dick has stumped up his cash for a cause, usually anonymously and he probably won't thank me for exposing his financial input.

As a GA airport and aircraft owner operator, flying school CFI, twin training and licence testing approvals, CP for IFR charter and RPT operations I have watched for 30 years, with dismay, the death by a thousand cuts of what should be a growing industry. On top of this safety is suffering.

Excessive and prescriptive regulation, heavy handed bureaucratic administration and a new rule set, inappropriately made part of the criminal law, is applied after a 26 year gestation period. This extraordinary and unworkable rule set now requires a suite of exemptions which are being hurriedly promulgated to prevent a complete collapse of General Aviation, especially flight training.

Safety suffers because of confusion, what is exactly lawful and what is not?

Safety suffers because we do not utilise experienced personnel. There's too much time consuming and wasteful paperwork coupled with insufficient incentives to remain in a shrinking industry.

Safety suffers because lack of activity has pushed up avgas fuel prices and caused closure of refueling facilities all over Australia thus reducing options for safe fuel endurance, and increasing costs.

Safety suffers because more just drop out of legal flying. When you live way out in the bush, faced with SIDS, biennial flight reviews and expensive medicals no imagination is needed to see what will happen.

Safety suffers because costs and impossible regulation reduces flying hours, recency drops off, pilots simply get out of practice.

I believe we should systematically list and repeatedly get out the message that there must be incentives, attractive remuneration is a prerequisite, and part of a healthy industry. There are too many road blocks, like the instructor who is still trying since November to achieve a flying school permit. She had to part with an $8000 fee to CASA, for what? She is already qualified. In the States she would have been working since November with no fee gouging. The flying school she is trying to reestablish was operative for at least 40 years to my certain knowledge.

The previous incumbent now works for guess who. Last I spoke to the applicant the permission was on hold because the CASA official dealing with it went on holiday. Preventing someone from working is against human rights. CASA has effectively taken the money under false pretenses and keeping her dangling is completely unacceptable. 

The model of an independent Commonwealth body with minimal Ministerial oversight is a failure. The Board of CASA have been removed from policy formation and the CEO, the oddly styled 'Director of Air Safety' (sitting on cloud 9 with a baton?) has virtually unfettered power, thus making the Board impotent and redundant. 

It is more clear than ever that the only way forward is political action and publicity from Dick is greatly welcomed.

Cheers Sandy TY 4 sharing... Wink

MTF..P2 Tongue

Rooted cause con't

I've mentioned it before and I will say it again - the root cause of decades of pony pooh is the Witchdoctor. How long has be been sticking pins in the CAsA CEO/DAS/Grand Poohbah dolls?? Well you can do the sums, but I witnessed old Doc stitching up Chairman D.Smith behind his back on numerous occasions....and that my friends was quite some years ago. How many Grand Poohbah's has he hexed since then? A few that I recall getting stabbed with voodoo pins were Byron, McComick, Skidmore.......

Interesting how Pumpkin Head has always managed to remain a 'survivor' when a multitude of other heads have been rolling around him over the decades!

Tick tock

I would like to see our 'alphabet soup' crews achieve something like the result below; sure fire way to improve membership and a demonstration of how a 'good' regulator can make sensible things happen. 

P2 provides the whole thing - HERE.

Quote:From: EAA <connect@eaa.org>
Date: Saturday, 16 July 2016
Subject: EAA Reaches The Goal - Aeromedical Reform Is Now Law!
To: sandy@reith.com.au

View this email online

[Image: govt_alert_600.jpg]
[Image: spacer.gif]

Third Class Medical Reform Signed into Law

Today, President Obama signed the 2016 FAA funding extension into law with third class medical reform attached. After years of effort by EAA advocacy, pilots will finally see relief from the constant hassle and expense associated with third class medical renewals.

The legislation allows most pilots who have held a valid medical certificate since July 2006 to fly without needing another FAA medical exam. Instead, pilots can be examined by their personal physician every four years and take an online aeromedical factors course every two years to remain medically qualified to fly.

EAA’s efforts to bring third medical class relief to pilots would not have been possible without the support of our members. The true strength of our advocacy efforts lies within the membership base that we represent, and every additional member increases our chances of affecting change. Today proves that together we can make a difference.

Please join EAA today!

Follow up to Dick Smith 'GA wake' story - The death of Bankstown via Canterbury/Bankstown Express:
Quote:[Image: 523f9211719259459d513e07f7d27345?width=1024]
Australian entrepreneur Dick Smith claimd Bankstown Airport aviation businesses have been crippled by red tape. Photo: Melvyn Knipe.

Dick Smith claims red tape has crippled Bankstown Airport at a ‘wake’ for his private jet
[img=0x0]http://pixel.tcog.cp1.news.com.au/track/component/article/ecb86aa73d27dce120f5bb2b07885b2a?esi=true&t_template=s3/chronicle-tg_tlc_storyheader/index&t_product=DailyTelegraph&td_noGallery=true&td_device=desktop[/img]James Taylor, Canterbury-Bankstown Express
July 25, 2016 2:08pm
[img=0x0]http://pixel.tcog.cp1.news.com.au/track/component/article/ecb86aa73d27dce120f5bb2b07885b2a?esi=true&t_template=s3/chronicle-tg_tlc_storymeta/index&t_product=DailyTelegraph&td_noGallery=true&td_device=desktop[/img]
ENTREPRENEUR Dick Smith claims increased red tape of Australia’s general aviation industry has turned Bankstown Airport into a ghost town.

Mr Smith held a “wake” for his beloved Cessna Citation CJ3 private jet, which he said was costing too much to operate, at his hangar on Thursday.

Flanked by about 20 guests from the industry, Mr Smith said onerous regulation had “destroyed” general aviation in Australia.

“Australia decided to lead the world by five years and that meant we basically destroyed an industry,” he said.

“It’s just makes me feel sick that this could be happening because most people would say ‘who cares about a wealthy person owning a jet’, but lots of people were employed with this aeroplane.

[Image: 23750346c4a3420a21948994620fcb06?width=650]Mr Smith said 50 per cent of aviation businesses have closed at Bankstown Airport. Pictured is a Little Wings plane on the airport’s landing strip. Photo: Jonathan Ng

“I employed pilots, maintenance people, air traffic controllers, as … everything is sold overseas we’ll end up with a crisis in aviation, it’s already happening.”

Mr Smith, an avid aviator, said businesses at Bankstown Airport had closed “one after the other”.

“Already I think about 50 per cent of the general aviation businesses have closed down in Bankstown. If you walk around you’ll find a lot of the hangars are locked up. If you peer into the darkness they are used to store junk.”

Aircraft Owners and Pilots Association executive director Benjamin Morgan accused the Civil Aviation Safety Authority, of ramping up compliance costs.

“General aviation across Australia is under attack. It’s under attack by a government that doesn’t understand the impact that it is having on the commercial viability of the industry,” he said.

[Image: d21f2ab9dd5baeee2bd4e00c4eaba7e6?width=650]Millionaire adventurer and aviator Dick Smith held a wake for Australian General Aviation at his hangar at Bankstown Airport. Photo: Melvyn Knipe

“General aviation actually touches everybody. We go about our lives Monday to Sunday and we don’t give thought to the fact that just about everything across Australia in some manner is connected to aviation.

“Most businesses will have their staff and teams flying around the country, most businesses require air services for freight, it is an essential component of what makes our economy work.”

Infrastructure and Transport Minister Darren Chester said it was the Government’s responsibility is to ensure that aviation is safe.

“The travelling public deserve nothing less and CASA is doing very well in this regard,” he said. “Aviation safety is a shared responsibility. All stakeholders should be working together to maintain and improve our excellent safety record.

“I look forward to working with CASA and the aviation industry to address issues of concern which challenge the viability of this important industry.

Quote:[Image: 50.jpg]

David
3 hours ago

CASA is a law unto themselves and their should be an inquiry into their conduct towards General Aviation.

MTF...P2 Undecided

Update: AOPA joins in on SAAA call for Private Pilot medical reform - Rolleyes
(07-28-2016, 08:43 PM)Peetwo Wrote:  SAAA pushing for Drivers Licence medical.

Courtesy Oz Aviation:
Quote:[Image: Sonex.jpg]Two Sonex Amateur-built Experimental (AB-[E]) aeroplanes. (Steve Hitchen)

SAAA calls for Medical Exemption
28 July 2016

The Sport Aircraft Association of Australia (SAAA) has written to CASA asking for an exemption from medical requirements for members who fly aircraft with a revised maximum take-off weight of 600 kg or less.

The letter, dated 15 July, asks for SAAA members to have the same "self-certification" privileges as pilots administered by Recreational Aviation Australia (RAAus).

SAAA President Rob Lawrie, who signed the letter, points out the inequity of RAAus pilots being allowed to fly under a driver's licence medical, yet SAAA pilots flying aircraft of similar weights need to have a CASA Class 2 medical examination.

"We propose that such pilots of sport recreational aircraft would be responsible to self-certify their medical fitness, with identical conditions imposed upon their flight operations as those currently imposed on similar sport aircraft within Australian airspace," he says.

"The present situation is inequitable as the same pilot, who is rejected by the CASA medical certification process, may fly the same aircraft in Australian airspace under an 'alternate regulator'. This situation may reasonably be argued to result in a number of negative safety outcomes.

"We need a solution that is immediate and allows our members to continue to fly their aircraft, many of whom have spent countless years and thousands of hours constructing them. As such our members have a considerable investment and emotional attachment to their aircraft.

"The majority also hold considerable aviation experience and have demonstrated their ability to operate safely."

Rather than ask for a blanket exemption for all members, the SAAA proposal concedes that the exemption should apply only to pilots and operations meeting the following criteria.
  • Single-engine amateur-built experimental (ABE) or amateur-built aircraft acceptance (ABAA)
  • Day VFR limited to pilot and one passenger only
  • No aerobatics
  • Flight below 10,000 feet AMSL
  • A revised MTOW of 600 kg for the flight or 650 kg for float equipped aeroplanes
The SAAA is also suggesting that pilots would need to carry their driver's licence on such a flight and people with certain conditions such as epilepsy and diabetes would need an annual statement of fitness from a GP.

"The initial exemption request is for identical weight limits and conditions as presently provided to RAAus for ultralight operations," Lawrie states. "This in itself is a very strong Australian based safety case, which CASA simply cannot ignore.

"RAAus have held these approvals for a considerable period of time. During this time there have been almost no reports of medical incapacitation of RAAus pilots and certainly far less that those experienced in commercial and RPT operations.

"This sort of data is essential in achieving regulatory reform. Essentially we must prove there will not be an adverse safety outcome to CASA’s satisfaction.

"CASA is required to demonstrate fair and transparent regulation in their dealing with the aviation community. We all fly in the same air.

"We believe these two factors will maximise our chance of success and make it more difficult for the initial request to be dismissed by CASA."

The full text of the SAAA letter to CASA can be downloaded from the link below.
SAAA medical letter to CASA

Read more at http://www.australianflying.com.au/lates...uGM1BE5.99

(07-29-2016, 07:22 AM)kharon Wrote:  Ruling by exemption – Still.

Reading Rob Lawrie’s letter is like watching a rally car trying to get to the finish line while ducking a weaving through the obstacles, tree stumps, holes and soft edges. It’s a master piece of ducking and weaving through the artificial ‘obstacles’ built in by the manic race organisers; designed to impede and penalise entrants.  The argument ‘for’ is sound enough, but look at hoops and hurdles he needs to deal with before pleading and proving his way to a rational, risk based agreement, to become 'exempt'.

There should be no need for any of this, especially for ‘exemptions’ which oblige the receiver to ‘play nice’ with CASA: not if the rules were written sensibly.  The letter provides a perfect example of why regulatory reform is desperately needed.  The question we should be asking is why, despite the time, money and effort invested in the ‘new’ regulations does a respectable body, such as SAAA need to go to such extraordinary lengths to achieve ‘an exemption’.

Aside.  This artificial ‘weight’ limitation on medicals intrigues me.  I don’t get it.  Same as the weight limitations imposed on building; what’s the point of it?  Is 650 kg aircraft lobbing into a school yard going to do so much less damage than a 1000 kg aircraft? Why not provided an engineering based ‘range’ of acceptable weights, like between 550 and 880 kg.  What’s the difference, apart from legal flexibility?  Why should an aircraft weighing in at 605 kg be ‘illegal’ when the same thing at 600 kg is ‘legal’.  Are CASA saying that if you get hit by a fully loaded petrol tanker it’s much better than being clouted by a train.  Probably just me being thick, again; but it beats me hollow.

Aye well, good luck with it Rob; but remember what they say about making a deal with the devil and where the detail leads.

Toot toot.

(07-29-2016, 07:53 AM)Cap Wrote:  Perhaps I'm a bit thick, but why not go down the RPL route instead?

(07-29-2016, 08:44 AM)thorn bird Wrote:  "There should be no need for any of this, especially for ‘exemptions’ which oblige the receiver to ‘play nice’ with CASA:"

Statistics boatman, CASA is highly unlikely to allow a situation where statistics that they cannot control could be used against them. If they freed up the requirements for medicals for SAAA pilots could it be that, as happened in the USA, statistically it turns out, medicals are a waste of time with regards to safety.

Hot off the cyber-press: Ben Morgan has kindly sent an email copy of an AOPA letter sent today to CASA addressed to DAS Skidmore:
Quote:29th July 2016

Mr Mark Skidmore
Director of Aviation Safety (CASA)
Civil Aviation Safety Authority
GPO Box 2005
Canberra ACT 2601
Australia

The Hon Darren Chester MP
Minister for Infrastructure and Transport
House of Representatives
Parliament House
Canberra ACT 2600
Australia.

- Members of the Aircraft Owners and Pilots Association
- Users of the Aviation Advertiser – Australia network
- Government Ministers and Senators
- Industry media

Aircraft Owners and Pilots Association supports the 
Sport Aircraft Association of Australia call for PPL medical reform.

Mr Mark Skidmore,

I am writing to you as the Executive Director of the Aircraft Owners and Pilots Association (AOPA) in support of the request submitted by the Sport Aircraft Association of Australia (SAAA), calling on the Civil Aviation Safety Authority (CASA) to reform private pilot medicals.

Australia’s general aviation industry is being negatively impacted by excessive aviation medical assessments and approval requirements on private pilots license holders.  The result has been the broad discrimination of a large number of experienced and healthy pilots, removing them from active flying and forcing them from our industry.  

Over the past 9 years, a significant number of general aviation pilots have been forced to side-step into RAAus membership, to avoid the aviation medical bureaucratic red-tape.  This transference of pilots has played an enormous role in pushing our general aviation industries into serious decline and toward bankruptcy.

AOPA estimates that the current CASA medical assessment and approval process is unnecessarily burdening general aviation pilots in excess of $10 million per annum.  An unnecessary financial impost that is now recognised by leading aviation regulators as having no measurable value on aviation safety whilst negatively impacting industry economic performance and sustainability.

AOPA calls on CASA to take immediate action to harmonise private pilot aviation medical requirements, benchmarking both the United Kingdom and the Unites States of America, to provide all Australian private pilots – regardless of aircraft type flown – a level playing field.

As you are aware, the Civil Aviation Administration of the United Kingdom on the 9th May 2016 announced significant changes to medical requirements for private pilots.  These changes were a result of extensive industry consultation, which found that 96% of industry respondents supported reducing medical requirements for private pilots to that of a drivers license standard.

The UK CAA determined that existing PPL medical requirements were disproportionate, costing private pilots both time and money unnecessarily, when compared to the benefit they provide.  

The UK CAA consultation process considered the potential risks incurred by introducing changes, these included;

a)  GA fatal accidents with potential medical causes

Over a 10 year period 151 GA fatal accidents of which only 20 could have been possible medical causes.  These included factors such as hypoxia, fatigue, dehydration, alcohol and suicide.  The UK CAA determined that there was a significant degree of uncertainty with regard to the actual cause of these accidents, with the medical cause only suspected.  As a result, it was decided to focus the risk analysis on serious incapacitation in flight.

b)  Third party risk

UK CAA historical records demonstrated that the probability of a GA accident causing injury to people on the ground is extremely low.  Over a 10 year period from 2004-2013, out of the 151 GA fatal accidents, there were a total of six (6) accidents involving third parties on the ground.  Only two (2) of these accidents resulted in fatalities and both involved third parties involved in aviation activities.  The UK CAA determined that there were no fatalities to a third party as a result of serious incapacitation of the pilot.  It was therefore determined by the UK CAA that there is no significant increased risk to third parties identified.

c)  Risk of incapacitation in flight

The UK CAA gave consideration to the risk of incapacitation in flight by looking at the likelihood of different medical conditions occurring which could result in pilot incapacitation.  The focus was on conditions which could result in sudden incapacitation (e.g.  heart attack, seizure) where the pilot may be unaware of symptoms at the start of the flight.  The considered risk profile was based from consultation, where 99% of respondents stated that private pilots do not generally take part in flying if they feel unwell.  The UK CAA determined that there could be a total of approximately two (2) acute medical incapacitations events in-flight per year, compared with approximately one (1) at present.  The UK CAA determined that whilst the risk of pilot medical incapacitation is increased, the absolute risk of a medically caused accident was assessed to be very low.

As a result of their extensive industry consultation and assessment of risks, the UK CAA have updated their regulation so as to reduce the medical requirements for private pilots, accepting an ordinary drivers license medical standard with no routine requirement to attend for a medical examination.  The UK CAA clarified that pilots will be required to complete an on-line form once prior to the age of 70 years (and every three years after the age of 70) to make a legally binding statement that they meet this standard.

The UK CAA demonstrated that the drivers license medical was a more proportionate approach and would reduce both the amount of time and money spent on medical examinations and tests by private pilots, whilst having little to no impact on overall safety standards.

Attached to this email is a copy of the UK CAA CAP 1397 APR16 – Click here to view

AOPA calls on you Mr Skidmore to take immediate action and to demonstrate your support for general aviation by removing the unnecessary private pilot medical assessment and approval red tape.  If you would like to discuss this matter further, please contact me directly.  AOPA stands ready to work with CASA on this important issue.

Best regards,

BENJAMIN MORGAN
Executive Director

Aircraft Owners and Pilots Association
Mobile:  0415 577 724

Hangar 600, Prentice Street, Bankstown Airport NSW 2200, Australia

PO BOX 26, Georges Hall, NSW 2198, Australia.

Telephone:  (02) 9791 9099
Facsimile:  (02) 9791 9355
Email:  ben.morgan@aopa.com.au
Web:  http://www.aopa.com.au
MTF...P2 Cool

Congratulations AOPA leadership, Chairman Marc De Stoop and new CEO Ben Morgan in particular, for the well constructed letter to Mr. Skidmore calling for car driver type medical standards with minimal examination requirements. What is asked for might well be an advance on the recent US legislation which was said to have been compromised, to some extent, by lobbying attributed to the sectional interests of aviation physicians. However even they could not overcome indisputable logic and hence they will be removed from nearly all PPL medical exams in the USA.

The fact that AOPA has now embraced the forward looking, efficient and sensible policy of the U.K. CAA is welcome to say the least. A policy that, if adopted, would stimulate our General Aviation in large measure.

GA badly needs relief and commonsense regulatory reform, this will not come from CASA but will have to be initiated by Parliament. Members of Parliament need, for a start, to become aware that "clear and concise" as required by the Act is not followed. We might say that CASA is clearly beyond its remit, the word illegal comes to mind.

In my ever so humble opinion, Ben Morgans letter deserves double chocate frog rations for 24 hours. Bravo Ben Bravo. Smile

The letter is concise, logical, fluid and clearly presented. The letters content is also well researched and succinctly articulated by a true subject matter expert.

People like Morgan and De Stoop are the type of people CAsA should be listening to. These are the guys at the pointy end who know their shit. Muppets like Herr Aleck and Skid'Mark are only capable of deciding which Armani suit to wear at Senate estimates or what style of mahogany and leather couch to place in their office nook. NFI about 'real world' issues.

Again, Ben, Marc and all your support team you deserve congratulations for the voice you have. It is appreciated by all of us in the industry. Cheers

That man again!!
AOPA is seriously getting serious!!
The latest from Ben Morgan, true statistics not CAsA's doctored version.
Seriously blows holes in AVM Skidmarks contention that all is well in GA.
Personally I think he is an arrant liar and should resign.

From Ben Morgan:
If you track general aviation pilot numbers from 2000 to 2015 you get a very clear picture of what is happening - a staggering 34% decline in general aviation pilots.  The decline in real numbers means that some 8,000+ pilots have exited our industry!

Between 2000 and 2010 we lost approx 3,000 pilots over the ten (10) year period. Then between 2010 and 2014 we lost a further 3,000 pilots - in just four years. Then between 2014 and 2015 a further 1,000 pilots - in just one (1) year.

Lets take a look at AVGAS consumption for the same period. Between 2000 and 2015 we have experienced a 35% decline in AVGAS!

Lets take a look at another chart... Since 2007 the number of aircraft being added to the Australian general aviation industry fleet has declined by 53%! Yes, you can attribute this to a range of factors. That said, you cant hide away from the fact that reducing pilot numbers means reducing aviation activity!

This is seriously bad news for our aircraft sales industry and the businesses which perform engineering and support. Fewer jobs and of course contributing to industry contraction.

With the above in mind, lets take a look at the other side of the aircraft registration equation - The Number of Aircraft Removed from the Register!

Comparing the same period of 2007 to 2015, the number of aircraft cancelled from the Australian general aviation register has increased by 51%.

To be clear, as of 2015 - Approx 350 aircraft were added, with 340 removed! Should the numbers continue on trend, in 15/16 more aircraft will be leaving the register than what is being replenished! Given that full impact of Cessna SID's is now being felt, AOPA believe that the Australian general aviation fleet will now be in established decline!

LETS RE-CAP WHAT THE CHARTS ARE TELLING US....

1. Pilot numbers are in serious decline
2. AVGAS sales are in serious decline
3. Number of new aircraft being added to industry is in serious decline
4. Number of aircraft registration cancellations is seriously increasing

PROGNOSIS: The industry is in established decline - PERIOD.

With regard to CASA calling on AOPA to prove that the industry is in decline....

All of the data for the above charts have been sourced from CASA and the Department of Industry, Innovation and Science. There is also data from the Bureau of Infrastructure, Transport and Regional Economics. All of the information is publicly available and downloadable from their various websites.            

Before we jump into reviewing casual factors, lets just compare apples to apples.

The chart you see below, is for US General Aviation Pilot Numbers. This means General Aviation Students, Private and Commercial Pilots - Identical data sets that we have used for the Australian analysis.

In 2006 the FAA recorded 400,283 general aviation pilots and in 2015 the number of pilots had increased to 422,887 - a four (4) percent increase in pilots!

Between 2006 and 2010 the US recorded year on year growth in pilot numbers - In contrast Australia's general aviation pilot numbers were collapsing, experiencing year on year decline.

Interestingly, the US experienced wholesale growth in general aviation instructor numbers! In 2006 there were 91,343 certified instructors and by 2016 there were 102,628 having grown by 11% - An increase of 11,285 actual instructors!

Australia's general aviation pilot community declined 34% by 8,000+  pilots, whilst the US pilot community grew by 4% increasing pilot numbers by 22,600+!

With regard to CASA calling on AOPA to prove that the industry is in decline....

All of the data for the above charts have been sourced from CASA and the Department of Industry, Innovation and Science. There is also data from the Bureau of Infrastructure, Transport and Regional Economics. All of the information is publicly available and downloadable from their various websites.            

Before we jump into reviewing casual factors, lets just compare apples to apples.

The chart you see below, is for US General Aviation Pilot Numbers. This means General Aviation Students, Private and Commercial Pilots - Identical data sets that we have used for the Australian analysis.

In 2006 the FAA recorded 400,283 general aviation pilots and in 2015 the number of pilots had increased to 422,887 - a four (4) percent increase in pilots!

Between 2006 and 2010 the US recorded year on year growth in pilot numbers - In contrast Australia's general aviation pilot numbers were collapsing, experiencing year on year decline.

Interestingly, the US experienced wholesale growth in general aviation instructor numbers! In 2006 there were 91,343 certified instructors and by 2016 there were 102,628 having grown by 11% - An increase of 11,285 actual instructors!

Australia's general aviation pilot community declined 34% by 8,000+  pilots, whilst the US pilot community grew by 4% increasing pilot numbers by 22,600+!

TB - I did the best I could with the scrambled data.  Readers may follow your post with reference  to the charts below - sorry mate; Ben should have posted them earlier.

FWIW – the AOPA ‘screen-shots’ which they rely on to counter the CASA arguments.  I will say nothing about the flaws in the riposte, however; on the UP the official response is made abundantly clear.  “Measure twice, cut once, be cussed less” seems appropriate.

Quote:Vag277 – “Sunfish - you are wrong for every DAS since CASA was formed 21 years ago. All have worked in the industry and only 2 had any RAAF background.

Ben - you have documented status, what analysis has been made of causal factors such as pilots dying of old age e.g. early baby boomers, moves to RAAus, serious debilitating medical issues, external financial impact of GFC etc?

What analysis has been done of GA business operating costs to show where the money is spent and what market analysis has been done to identify why businesses outside aviation are not using GA freight and charter services?

"K" edit - Vag forgot to mention airline uptake and demise of operating companies due CASA action; which could be countered by the 'difficulty' in starting an operation.  Just saying.

[Image: Screen-Shot-2016-08-05-at-10.24.30-PMVV1D.png]