The tale of Karen Casey.
Heart 

Sitting alone in her garden this morning is a brave women beset by doubt, anxiety and anger facing what must be, for a mother, the most difficult of decisions. Karen Casey physically injured through no fault of her own in the Pel-Air air accident, a ditching which could have been prevented, must now decide whether dragging her children through a court hearing process and exposing them to ruthless cross examination will achieve any improvement in the way victims of air accident are treated. There is a lot more at stake here than a simple compensation claim, Karen's case exposes the entire sham of Australia's claim to be an aviation safety doyen of the developed world.

The dilemma is clearly defined, stand and expose herself and family to the tender mercies of insurance company barristers; or opt for a quiet life by accepting an out of court settlement. Tough call for someone who has battled five years of extreme physical pain and exquisite mental anguish. It is fitting that we look backward before looking ahead; what was the path which led Karen Casey to this moment, sitting alone in her garden, with only a mug of coffee and a faithful dog as her counsellors?

@P11 - Slats has provided a very concise summary which details just one of the many issues which formed part of the accident chain. Not immediately apparent to an outside observer is the speed with which the 'problems' were claimed to be fixed and the readiness of the Australian regulator (CASA) to accept that claim. The Senate inquiry into the ditching of the aircraft clearly and unequivocally identified a cynical, politically motivated bastardisation of law, accident investigation and human decency. Those who followed the Senate inquiry need no convincing of this, the proof is recorded in the parliament Hansard and freely available to all. It is no coincidence that the unspeakable Pprune engineered a shut down of the Senate inquiry thread for the hearing of Karen's case would raise, once again, the loud voice of public criticism and we can't have that now, can we?

Not one of the identified problem areas has even been addressed, let alone satisfactorily eliminated; the Pel-Air accident could occur again, from the same root causes. The people who happily engaged in the shabby affair are healthy, employed, swaggering and bullying their merry through the manipulation of air safety systems, designed for the protection of those travelling and working in the skies. Being paid, very well to continue making an art form and a mockery of using those rules and the investigations of accidents, as and when required, to suit their predetermined purpose.

The question for Karen; is the game worth the candle? We must hope it is, for on those small shoulders rests a mighty weight.

Spare a thought for Karen and wish her Godspeed.

(02-13-2015, 04:39 PM)kharon Wrote:  Sitting alone in her garden this morning is a brave women beset by doubt, anxiety and anger facing what must be, for a mother, the most difficult of decisions.  Karen Casey physically injured through no fault of her own in the Pel-Air air accident, a ditching which could have been prevented, must now decide whether dragging her children through a court hearing process and exposing them to ruthless cross examination will achieve any improvement in the way victims of air accident are treated.  There is a lot more at stake here than a simple compensation claim, Karen's case exposes the entire sham of Australia's claim to be an aviation safety doyen of the developed world.

The dilemma is clearly defined, stand and expose herself and family to the tender mercies of insurance company barristers; or opt for a quiet life by accepting an out of court settlement.  Tough call for someone who has battled five years of extreme physical pain and exquisite mental anguish.  It is fitting that we look backward before looking ahead; what was the path which led Karen Casey to this moment, sitting alone in her garden, with only a mug of coffee and a faithful dog as her counsellors?

@P11 - Slats has provided a very concise summary which details just one of the many issues which formed part of the accident chain.  Not immediately apparent to an outside observer is the speed with which the 'problems' were claimed to be fixed and the readiness of the Australian regulator (CASA) to accept that claim.   The Senate inquiry into the ditching of the aircraft clearly and unequivocally identified a cynical, politically motivated bastardisation of law, accident investigation and human decency.  Those who followed the Senate inquiry need no convincing of this, the proof is recorded in the parliament Hansard and freely available to all.  It is no coincidence that the unspeakable Pprune engineered a shut down of the Senate inquiry thread for the hearing of Karen's case would raise, once again, the loud voice of public criticism and we can't have that now, can we?

Not one of the identified problem areas has even been addressed, let alone satisfactorily eliminated; the Pel-Air accident could occur again, from the same root causes.  The people who happily engaged in the shabby affair are healthy, employed, swaggering and bullying their merry through the manipulation of air safety systems, designed for the protection of those travelling and working in the skies.  Being paid, very well to continue making an art form and a mockery of using those rules and the investigations of accidents, as and when required, to suit their predetermined purpose.

The question for Karen; is the game worth the candle?  We must hope it is, for on those small shoulders rests a mighty weight.

Spare a thought for Karen and wish her Godspeed.

Testing

Green Eggs and Spam

Ziggy

@Ziggy - we here rumour of an interesting recent conversation between KCY and a certain first class, top draw ICAO lady; any news at your end?

Min.

Hmmm,

Dear Aunty P & Mini,

My end tells me that this is true.
In fact. I'll emphasise the word, fact.

The very well respected lady from the Air Nav Safety Buro knew nothing of NGA.

Apparently very surprised to speak with KCy. A survivor of an Int'l plane crash.

Intrigued at the volume online. Perplexed as why her dept or herself are not aware of such an incident.

The candidate for a position within the EyeSeeAOh has a history within this entangled web of deafening silence. 
Above. Something along those lines were spoken.

How many ears will prick up now and start to defend...MTF.

Stay safe all,
Ziggy

The end game of the Pel-Air debacle is being played out in the Australian courts; the case has  provided a clearly demonstrated, documented and examined insight into what can happen in the aftermath of an accident investigation.  The events which have occurred and continue to generate outrage in Australia provide some unpalatable food for thought for those waiting for news of MH 370.  As they clearly define the depths to which government agencies are prepared descend to, in defence of the status quo.   Such the ATSB (under Dolan) re-investigating, under the original editor (Sangston) with their own, hand picked man, it's own abysmal Pel-Air Final Report.

A small scale incident, such as the ditching of a Pel-Air medivac West wind in 2009 still has the government suffering from the deceitful actions of two, fully government supported and empowered agencies. Australia's safety agencies still cannot and will not own up to, let alone remedy the treacherous actions which culminated in a single mother staring down not only the might of two national safety air safety bodies, but the government department which tacitly approved that behaviour and the incredible fire power of large, international insurance carriers.

It all provides a very realistic preview of what those who wait for news may expect; a regulator operating to satisfy the dictates of a minister influenced by, or beholding to vested interests, an investigator who will happily 'edit' the accident report to avoid any hint of systematic failure, exonerate the regulator, operator and if 100% pilot error can be demonstrated, the insurance company is off the hook.

The next step (if there is enough noise made) in the process is to side step any 'inquiry', be it coronial or governmental.  If that process ends up casting a small shadow of reasonable doubt, it's not a problem.  You simply agree after a suitable time interval, to have another look at the whole thing, bring in a rabid defender of the system; and, in your own sweet time, bring in a report which complies with the narrow terms of reference. – Abracadabra – you have gained at least another two year delay, taken the steam out of the argument and exhausted the patience and fiscal resources of those who raised the complaints.

This children is what you may expect when 'your' government, decides the rice bowl is threatened; at least in Australia anyway.

Selah....... Sad

I read with interest how many people on 'Twitter' are concerned with 'human suffering' on both a small and a large scale, selflessly, often without a prayer of changing anything.  This makes it incredibly important that when something can be done, a wrong can be righted if you like, we should whenever and wherever possible, lend our support.   Even if that support is no more than a simple 'tweet'; there is one of our own who desperately needs all the Karma, good will and, if you are so inclined, prayers to the pagan gods of choice.I am amazed that the story has not made it into the mainstream media, for it has all the ingredients of a first class human interest story, in spades, redoubled.

Soon Karen Casey and her family will be in a court; fighting for dignity, honour and some form of compensation to help her and her family adjust their lives around the fact that Karen is no longer able to work, support herself or foster her children's education.  She did not know this was going happen when as a fully qualified, happy, flight nurse her patient was loaded onto a Pel-Air medivac flight, bound for Australia from Samoa.  She had no prescience that within a few hours after take off, she would be struggling to keep her patient alive in a dark ocean, miles from the shore of a remote island in the vast South pacific ocean.  After the aircraft ditched and broke in half, the patient had be un-strapped from the stretcher and helped into the cold dark sea.  After the life raft had sunk, still secure in it's canister all that stood between the survivors and certain death were the life vests.  The patient's life vest amongst others partially failed only half inflating; whistle cords hopelessly tangled, lights dim and intermittent.  Karen spent 90 long selfless minutes, treading water, supporting her patient while permanently damaging her body, living now on fresh air, hopes of justice and pain killing drugs.

Here is a potted version of what she is trying to stare down:-

The Australian Civil Aviation Safety Authority (CASA) who not only allowed operational and systematic flaws to be enshrined within the Pel-Air SOP, directly connect with the causal chain, not only failed to prosecute the Chief pilot responsible, but hired him.  Not content with that, they upped the ante and became involved with the ATSB report of the incident.  That, standing alone is a remarkable story – See Pprune Senate Inquiry, for all the gory details.

The Australian Transport Safety Board (ATSB) under Doolaly Dolittle who happily cooperated in the farcical report which was to become the subject of a Senate inquiry; where breaches of the TSI Act and ICAO annexe 13 were exposed along with a plan to lay 100% of the blame on the pilot; who admits and regrets his errors.

The 'Department' and the minister who manage these two autonomous, fully protected bodies and happily admit there is no legal reason for Karen to be compensated.

Karen simply and happily went to work one day – that's all; her patient and husband, the doctor travelled in good faith.  Physical and mental trauma all at no fault of their own, can they expect justice and recompense; can they hell.  No matter the political party's did quite well out of it, what with donations happily coinciding with reports and all.  Promotions and pay rises all around for the troops.  For Karen, well she has the pleasure of dragging her family into a hostile court under subpoena as witness for the opposition.

She needs a bloody medal and time to heal, not forced into a dragged out, one sided court battle against large corporations, government agencies all intent on protecting (legally of course) their rice bowls.  Does it stink – Oh you bet.

Quote:Lear:

Close pent-up guilts,
Rive your concealing continents, and cry
These dreadful summoners grace. I am a man
More sinn'd against than sinning.

Selah.

(02-19-2015, 02:49 PM)kharon Wrote:   I read with interest how many people on 'Twitter' are concerned with 'human suffering' on both a small and a large scale, selflessly, often without a prayer of changing anything.  This makes it incredibly important that when something can be done, a wrong can be righted if you like, we should whenever and wherever possible, lend our support.   Even if that support is no more than a simple 'tweet'; there is one of our own who desperately needs all the Karma, good will and, if you are so inclined, prayers to the pagan gods of choice.I am amazed that the story has not made it into the mainstream media, for it has all the ingredients of a first class human interest story, in spades, redoubled.

Soon Karen Casey and her family will be in a court; fighting for dignity, honour and some form of compensation to help her and her family adjust their lives around the fact that Karen is no longer able to work, support herself or foster her children's education.  She did not know this was going happen when as a fully qualified, happy, flight nurse her patient was loaded onto a Pel-Air medivac flight, bound for Australia from Samoa.  She had no prescience that within a few hours after take off, she would be struggling to keep her patient alive in a dark ocean, miles from the shore of a remote island in the vast South pacific ocean.  After the aircraft ditched and broke in half, the patient had be un-strapped from the stretcher and helped into the cold dark sea.  After the life raft had sunk, still secure in it's canister all that stood between the survivors and certain death were the life vests.  The patient's life vest amongst others partially failed only half inflating; whistle cords hopelessly tangled, lights dim and intermittent.  Karen spent 90 long selfless minutes, treading water, supporting her patient while permanently damaging her body, living now on fresh air, hopes of justice and pain killing drugs.

Here is a potted version of what she is trying to stare down:-

The Australian Civil Aviation Safety Authority (CASA) who not only allowed operational and systematic flaws to be enshrined within the Pel-Air SOP, directly connect with the causal chain, not only failed to prosecute the Chief pilot responsible, but hired him.  Not content with that, they upped the ante and became involved with the ATSB report of the incident.  That, standing alone is a remarkable story – See Pprune Senate Inquiry, for all the gory details.

The Australian Transport Safety Board (ATSB) under Doolaly Dolittle who happily cooperated in the farcical report which was to become the subject of a Senate inquiry; where breaches of the TSI Act and ICAO annexe 13 were exposed along with a plan to lay 100% of the blame on the pilot; who admits and regrets his errors.

The 'Department' and the minister who manage these two autonomous, fully protected bodies and happily admit there is no legal reason for Karen to be compensated.

Karen simply and happily went to work one day – that's all; her patient and husband, the doctor travelled in good faith.  Physical and mental trauma all at no fault of their own, can they expect justice and recompense; can they hell.  No matter the political party's did quite well out of it, what with donations happily coinciding with reports and all.  Promotions and pay rises all around for the troops.  For Karen, well she has the pleasure of dragging her family into a hostile court under subpoena as witness for the opposition.

She needs a bloody medal and time to heal, not forced into a dragged out, one sided court battle against large corporations, government agencies all intent on protecting (legally of course) their rice bowls.  Does it stink – Oh you bet.

Quote:Lear:

Close pent-up guilts,
Rive your concealing continents, and cry
These dreadful summoners grace. I am a man
More sinn'd against than sinning.

Selah.
Dear Aunty,

Thank you Kharon and Co. Always spot on, honest and not afraid to challenge those who swivel on chairs like jackasses unable to answer simple questions to a serious issue. Although they are well paid and given plenty of notice. Simple answers made complex as they are tainted with lies. 

Safety and fairness, has always been the wanted outcome from the Oz Av Comm.

The genuine interest from the Australian Aviation Community has proven to be a force that is strengthening and uniting. Enabling the chance for Aviation safety and fairness changes so desperately needed.

I need to find housing as I can no longer live where I am. I now know I was being watched. Even in what I thought was my only place of privacy, my backyard. I feel very unsettled. I need to leave. 

If I could do the physical things I use to do. I would. 
I feel so violated along with all the other disappointments over the past five years.

Financial instability and uncertainty, This is why I need to apply for housing commission.
Circumstances of health, safety and, I just have too. No choice anymore.
They have dragged this out so long that I have nothing left. 
I receive a quarter of what I did. Can not do an extra shift or work at Motorsport track to earn a bit more. I have collapse all my super funds over the years. Last one, just did. Need to stretch it out to whenever I am set free from the insurers invisible handcuffs.
My medication is close to $100.00 a week. I can not do without them. For nerve pain and others meds too. I have not received any help or support in any way from the Government during this time. Only the normal child payments.

Rolling into Six years is a long time. Mothering three children alone through this has proven very challenging, yet easy sometimes as there is no monetary cost needed. Just love. The good, free stuff in life.

The past few months has really messed me up.
Physically, I feel I have been jolted on the right side of my body by, well, a plane crash. A sick attack on myself and family from Insurance Barristers at the Supreme Court hearing.

The physical stressors on my already compromised body is now a serious health issue.
I have anorexia. Not Nervosa. I have anorexia caused by too much stress. A sub-conscious self form of sabotage as it has been explained to me. I find it difficult to live with pain every day. The arrowhead-stress flinging from ALL angles has been revoltingly sick.
I have special drink and small portions of food have been re-introduced.

Unfortunately I am not winning this battle. 
Lost another five kilos over the past four weeks.
Lived on air and painkillers for the hearing.
Travelling there and having to sit all day in pain and listen to the Insurers Barristers constant cruel jabs. Those bastards, IMO, and through experience, are second degree slow murderers. 
According to the Privacy Act, large insurers, if they feel the need to, may ask permission from the Gov to watch you in your own back yard. Over the fence, a direct view into my space, a one way mirror was installed, cabling etc. Try to push a person too far. 
The Privacy Act has failed me too. 
Intimidation as such is just plain criminal. The backyard monitoring was only for a duration of a couple of months before the hearing. Mid November when the one way mirror and other strange things were installed. Have witnesses and documentation. Stayed to make me feel worse. Hearing, pathetic DVD shown of me. Cross examined on first day. My daughter in the stand. 
Then removed mirror and stuff on the Tuesday of the trial. 
How they try to make you die. In such a covert way. If they (Privacy Act) were to do some work, they need get statistics of how many people are pushed too far as to take their own life because of the greedy arseholes being Insurance Companies. In particular, for Aviation. Why? Shareholders. Greed. Afraid of the change it may bring if some one actually LIVES THROUGH THIS.

I am experiencing re-feeding syndrome (nasty) and continuing to lose weight despite trying so very hard.
My muscles are so wasted, especially down the right side of my neck, back, right arm.
Pain. It is out of control and I am depleted of energy.

I am going to focus on getting better.
See my Dietician, Psychiatrist, Physio, Pain Specialist and Rehab Hydro Therapist this week and every week for how ever long it takes to get better. 
I have tears in my eyes as I write this because I know how this happened.
I know all has been exacerbated with the intrusion of my privacy by the insurance company/s for Pel-Air. The grilling Supreme Court Case. The insulting Six year entrance. The triggers. The loss. My Governments failings over and over.

I cannot stop being a part of this force, but need to have a bit of "time out" to sort myself out.

Will still be reading all the great, interesting writings and occasionally I'll write (as I enjoy it).

I need and want to be strong when Judgement is handed down. 
Whatever the outcome my be.
I need to prepare for uncertainty of my future...again/still...Why?

I won't back down, my refusal to take part in the re-investigation of NGA with the current CC and a few bad seeds within the Dept who have consciously told untruths still employed. Flat out No. 

If I caused harm intentionally to a patient, I would have been de-registered as a Registered Nurse.
What is the difference.
These people have had TOO MANY CHANCE. The incompetent ones need to GO. Not stay in the Play-Pen of Protection, but kicked the curb. Starting from the Chief. Such an International Disgrace.

I have been shown no respect from the Australian Government. Lied to. Not assisted. Now into the sixth year and I'm tired and not well.

So I'm nicking off for a bit from the e-World to concentrate on strengthening my depleted body and mind. 

Won't give up. 

I comprehend the cruel bastards' games now. 
Push, push, push...until that case number is gone. Wipe hands clean, save some money and forget.

I realise I need a break. NGA/CASA/ATSB/Privacy Act I have fought, need a break from it for just a bit.
Which is now.

Going for a paddle to get strong and all the other stuff I need to do.

Anything significant happens. I will of course tell my friends, you guysSmile

Keep On Keeping On (KOKO)

So appreciate the support.
I'll be back. Strong.

Stay Safe,
Ziggy

Apart from leaving behind a shattered group of family and friends, the small world tragedy of Bernie's death will not create a Tsunami; but like any pebble dropped into a pond, it will, as it must, create a ripple.  

Quote:"Everything we do and think affects the people in our lives and their reactions in turn affect others. The choices you make have far-reaching consequences. Each of us carries within us the capacity to change the world in small ways for better or worse. We can use the Principles of the Ripple Effect to magnify our actions and their effects."

Can we, those left behind, make Bernie's ripple into a dam buster?   Do we even want to?  No one seems to care until it is them or a loved one being torn apart by a mindless, blind, uncaring system.  The minority who care and understand are those who have been touched by death, injury and the system; and those who could not care less, until Karma rolls the dice.

I believe we must try; it is up to those left behind to ensure that having survived an accident the aftermath does not turn into a nightmare leaving the survivors wondering if they were. perhaps, better off dead.   Certainly not because of a preventable accident which could, conceivably happen again.  None of the critical issues have been addressed: 

The failure of the regulator to correct rules, which for many years have been described as 'bad-law'.  There has been a 25 years wait for these corrections.

The failure of the company and regulator; both clearly defined by the various audit and report.  The failure of both the regulator and company to ensure that operational practices, risk mitigation and training were adequate to the demands of tasking: not simply 'compliant' with complex, contradictory, bad law.  

The partial failure of the life jackets, which failed miserably those who were unfortunate enough to be that 'one chance in a million' to desperately need them.  Need them they did, as the life raft was the first casualty – sinking like a rock on impact.   The problems with 'whistles' the problems with the locator lights; all of which, in one way or another betrayed those who were, literally swimming for dear life.  

One thing is certain though; the Senate inquiry, the Forsyth report and the Canadian peer review all call for major changes; it has now been almost two years since the Senate identified a fatally flawed safety system, since then........................?

Multiple systematic failures, one preceding the other, had the fates not been kind that night, who knows, perhaps there would have been six funerals to attend.   Who knows?  But perhaps Karen would be well and happily attending to patients; Doc. Helm would hale and well, attending to his patients, Bernie and Garry would have been at home enjoying their life, had things been done differently, before and after the event. 

Perhaps, in a happier world the warnings will not be dismissed as the ramblings of fools and the mouthing of half wits; perhaps the venal, greedy, self satisfied and self serving will realise that even the smallest, most humble of pebbles can create a dam buster ripple; but alas, not it seems, in the world we are resigned to. 

I wish you Godspeed and safe home Bernie; I regret there was no more that I could have done beforehand to prevent the event, and afterwards to ease your burden.

Selah.

It is a sad endictment on Australia when it's own citizens are pissed on by its own Government and the rights and feelings of its neighbours win over the concern of our countries so-called leaders. The victims of The Norfolk accident deserve to be cared for, rehabilitated, compensated and dignified by the Australian government. But oh no, that's too much to ask for isn't it. Instead our country gives billions of dollars towards aiding and abetting terrorist nations who want to do us harm. That makes sense doesn't it? Our government financially supports anywhere and everywhere that it can, as long as it is not in our own backyard. The miserable sods supposedly leading this country are nothing more than a national disgrace. Everybody gets screwed by them - the poor, the innocent, the taxpayer, the injured, the pensioners and the genuine unemployed victims of a failing economic structure. This country is splitting at the seams and it appears the politicians are powerless to stop it. Fools.

P.S I noticed that the ridiculous and nauseating Germaine Greer has suggested that Julie Bishop get her tits out? Now, call me a cynic, but as much as I would indeed be interested in taking a peek at Julie's fried omelettes wouldn't it be more interesting if Joe Hockey got his tits out????

Oink oink

Is it just me loosing my few marbles or has the world truly arrived at a state of comic book insanity?  The TV news carries endless amounts of 'heart rending' pap, hours of commercials and every politician who can grab a minute of air time clawing each other to variously threaten, cajole and bully a sovereign nation into 'sparing' the lives of two convicted drug smugglers.  Two of group who willingly, knowingly and intending to profit from the proceeds of trafficking Heroin; a group which was caught, tried, found guilty and sentenced.   There is enough information available on the damage to society and individuals the use of narcotics inflicts to render any comments I could make superfluous; yet the Australian government is prepared to go to extreme lengths to persuade Indonesia not to righteously exterminate these criminals, under their sovereign laws, for attempting to bring more misery into the world.

Yet this same bleeding heart, dewy eyed defence of a right to life for 'Australian' drug smugglers turns it's back on an innocent flight nurse, grievously damaged in an air accident.  It seems that Karen Casey and her fellow travellers must just like it or lump it; not too much tea and telly sympathy for them.  Perhaps as an international flight nurse had Karen smuggled the odd package or two she may get the same amount of political attention and sympathy as the two convicted of intentionally, for profit, knowingly setting out to harm countless people.

The Pel-Air Curse is the legacy of Bernie Curral, patient passenger in a air accident, who along with Karen and the others on board have been treated with contempt by the same government.  An indifference and contempt which has led everyone involved in the Pel-Air ditching to the darkest, loneliest places a human being can descend to; a place from which many do not return, Bernie Curral was one these.  Unable to return to light, whether by accident or intent she is now lost to her loved ones.

No one seems to care until it is them, a loved one, or a callous drug smuggler being torn apart by a mindless, blind, uncaring system.  These same are those who could not care less, until Karma rolls the dice, then their screams of outrage will be drowned out by the clamouring of the yet untouched.  

The minority who care and understand are those who have been touched by death, injury and the system.  I believe we must try to right this outrage.   It is up to those left behind to ensure that having survived an accident the aftermath does not turn into a nightmare leaving the survivors wondering if they were. perhaps, better off dead.   Certainly not because of a preventable accident which could, conceivably happen again.  For none of the critical issues have been addressed: 

To say I don't get it would be an understatement.  

Selah.

On ABC - Four Corners: Monday 2030 A_EST.  Preview link – HERE.   

Ditched

By Geoff Thompson and Morag Ramsay
Updated March 19, 2015 14:31:00

[Image: r1402425_20025996.jpg]

Ditched
19th March, 2015
Jumping on a plane for business or pleasure is now part of everyday life. We're told it's safer than driving on the road. But if the worst happens and you crash, will the law comprehensively protect you for injuries if you survive?

The answer is no.

Shocked? So were the survivors of an air ambulance flight that went down in the waters off Norfolk Island. They quickly found that while they might get compensation for physical damage, they were entitled to nothing for the psychological impact of the crash.

This week Four Corners reporter Geoff Thompson investigates the shocking tale of nurse Karen Casey. She was travelling on the mercy mission when the plane crash landed in the ocean. She saved the life of her patient but her own physical injuries were profound. The nerves in her neck and spine were wrenched, leaving her body in constant pain.

But she also developed crippling Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD).

As her daughter explains, it was like her mother left for work one day and another person came home.

"She came home and she just was completely different. Her, her face, her mood, her body language just was different. It wasn't - it was cold, it was, it was just - it just wasn't mum."

An investigation of the crash made it clear the company and its flight crew were at fault. You would think that would leave the way open for Karen to seek compensation for the mental anguish ruining her life.

Unfortunately, that is much harder than it should be and the reason is simple.

Australia has signed up to an international convention that removes the rights of passengers to sue airlines for purely mental trauma or injury no matter who is at fault when the plane crashes. More alarmingly, that now applies to both international and domestic air travel.

For anyone contemplating air travel, this is a real concern.

Because Karen Casey could be any one of us. Not only is she physically hurt, but also mentally debilitated and in serious financial difficulty.

Independent Senator Nick Xenophon spearheaded a scathing Senate inquiry into the flawed investigation of the Norfolk ditching.

He says: "The salutary lesson of Karen Casey is that even if you do the right thing, in fact are a hero on the night, the system treats you appallingly. She's been treated like dirt and she deserves better."

DITCHED, reported by Geoff Thompson and presented by Kerry O'Brien, goes to air on Monday 23rd March at 8.30pm. It is replayed on Tuesday 24th March at 10.00am and Wednesday 25th at midnight. It can also be seen on ABC News 24 on Saturday at 8.00pm, ABC iview and at abc.net.au/4corners.
Tags: mental-health
First posted March 19, 2015 14:16:00

Good summary P2 and; nicely done.  How, or why, in all the seven hells the world, or at very least every flight nurse and her involved  family  is not up in arms about these is questions, I cannot answer.  But I can ask i: why?   WHY?  for crying out loud is the whole of the flight nurse fraternity, NOT out there screaming – bloody blue murder.  For it has been, indeed, the murder of a productive, happy life.  

Words fail, Shakespeare, the wise and even to prophets fail,  to elaborate this fearful calumny.    

Shine on Karen, shine.   P2 – the world needs to know about this, seriously; they do.    Selah.

Make sure you leave your comments on the 4 Corners website:
http://www2b.abc.net.au/tmb/Client/Messa...=1&te=True

An investigation of the shocking human cost felt by the survivors of a #Pel-Air Ditching.
8.30pm

Monday night http://www.abc.net.au/4corners/stories/2...199980.htm

There are a number of traumas beyond the accident itself.

The protracted adversarial process unfortunately very often causes further damage and interferes with healing. A 5 year (and counting) legal battle of attrition usually leaves people more damaged and more angry.

There is also a sense of betrayal that the "powers that be" have deliberately acted to leave you and your family under-protected. The rights to sue under workcover have been significantly eroded. And now the ability to sue the operator has also been compromised. Who to sue next? The regulator? - this happened on their watch.

Finally there can be a sense of isolation from former colleagues. Some people find the issue so confronting they turn away and move on. Although a sensible defense mechanism to help people move forward in life, this can appear callous to those affected.

Slats11

Well, I watched the program and was quite disappointed. I felt that far too much time was given over to crash and how the injuries were incurred but not enough time was given to the Montreal convention and why and who decided that it should also apply to domestic passengers.

While watching the program the thought kept recurring that the Montreal convention applies to passengers but that the particular flight was categorised as "airwork" and therefore it could be argued that by definition Ms Casey was actually crew. Perhaps not Pel-Air crew but certainly of CareFlight and there was a contractual link between the 2 companies. Now, because she was being covered by workers compensation she could not sue for damages against her employer, CareFlight. However, and now it gets messy, there is an argument that she could still sue Pel-Air on the grounds that they failed in their duty of care towards a contracted staff member.

Creamie, where are you when your needed?

Quote:KERRY O'BRIEN: A compelling difference between the law and justice: welcome to Four Corners.

Back in 2012, Four Corners told the story of an air ambulance flight, operated by Pel-Air, that was forced to ditch off the coast of Norfolk Island in 2009. The six passengers and crew survived against all odds - but it most certainly doesn't end there.
The reason we did the last story was because of the way the pilot was apparently scapegoated by a regulatory inquiry which was subsequently discredited by two independent reviews in the wake of our program.
We're back again because of another seeming injustice: the way Pel-Air and its insurers are using a law that's little known to air passengers in Australia to avoid paying compensation for overwhelming emotional and psychological suffering directly linked to the plane crash.
They say that, legally, such suffering is not their problem.
In the case of nurse Karen Casey, one of the heroes of the flight, her life has been shattered. Apart from the ongoing pain of her physical injuries, Karen's psychiatrist says she is a classic case of post-traumatic stress disorder, with severe anxiety and a daily nightmare of recurring flashbacks.
Independent Senator Nick Xenophon argues that the law is unjust and should be repealed and has taken up Karen's case.
It's of interest to every passenger flying within Australia.
This investigation is from reporter Geoff Thompson.

Ditched (Link for video, transcript & background info) 

By Geoff Thompson and Morag Ramsay
Updated March 23, 2015 20:31:00
[Image: r1402425_20025996.jpg]
Ditched 19th March, 2015

Quotes from the Transcript:
Quote:JOSEPH WHEELER, AVIATION SPECIALIST, SHINE LAWYERS: I think most people, um, would, would feel as just an intuitive notion that if they suffer through a near-miss and they survive and, for example, there's a ditching at sea and they're picked up as a survivor, um, should they suffer some emotional distress or psychiatric damage, even - some recognisable psychiatric injury - that they would have a claim against that airline for putting them through that ordeal.
The fact is: they don't.

GEOFF THOMPSON: Joe Wheeler is an aviation lawyer. His speciality is the Montreal Convention, which came into effect in Australia in 2009.
It does not allow passengers to sue for purely psychological injuries.

JOSEPH WHEELER: It talks about "bodily injury". So the kinds of injuries are strictly circumscribed. Ah, it doesn't talk about pure mental injury. It doesn't talk about emotional distress. The words "bodily injury" seem to have been there from the very beginning of the Montreal Convention and the Convention which preceded it from the 1920s...

...GEOFF THOMPSON: Before getting to court, Pel-Air accepted responsibility for the crash but not liability for David and Karen's injuries. Citing the Montreal Convention, Pel-Air says it's not required to pay for Karen's PTSD.

KAREN CASEY: I-I can't move my body the way I used to, so of course I'm angry and frustrated. And it comes back. And then you get flashbacks and it's all linked.

GEOFF THOMPSON: Karen's only hope is that the judge will accept that her psychological distress is inextricably linked with her physical injuries.

DAVID HELM: It would be difficult to overlook the ongoing physical problems that Karen has and the ongoing physical pain as a, a permanent reminder of the experience. And so on a daily basis there is always a trigger for her to recall that event.
And she's been through multiple treatment programs and that's not got better and there's nothing suggests that that ever will. Um, so to try and separate the problems that Karen has into different camps is artificial and, ah, I would, I would say inappropriate.

GEOFF THOMPSON: Lawyers representing Pel-Air and its insurers say there is no connection. They argue that Karen's PTSD stems from her experience of the crash itself and not from her physical suffering.

JOSEPH WHEELER: The fact is: when there is a bodily injury that can be evidenced, there's room to argue that a subsequent psychological injury which was caused or primarily caused by that bodily injury should be compensable under the international legal regime. That's not set in stone. Since, um, cases in the 1990s, um, outside of Australia that question's been left open and it really needs a legislative change at international level to clarify that.

GEOFF THOMPSON: The legal regime which has trapped Karen Casey now looms over us all.
Two years ago the law in Australia was changed so that the Montreal Convention's ban on compensation for purely psychological injury now applies to domestic flights too.

JOSEPH WHEELER: The harsh reality for domestic passengers is that there's no compensation available for mental injury if it's unaccompanied or doesn't come from a bodily injury on a domestic flight.

NICK XENOPHON: What happened to Karen Casey can happen to anyone and, in fact, it can happen to more people now because since the Norfolk Island accident the law has been changed in this country to take away people's rights to claim for psychiatric injury, for post-traumatic stress disorder, which can be as debilitating, as crippling as any physical injury.

KAREN CASEY: Everybody flies. Everybody flies. And my question would be to Pel-Air - one question: Put your butt in the end of a plane and slam it into the ocean and tell me that you don't have any psychological trauma. And you're reminded every single day and you have to fight for justice.

NICK XENOPHON: That's why in the coming session of Parliament I want to move amendments so that we can go back to what it was pre-2013. And I hope that Karen can come with me to see MPs and I want those MPs to look her in the eye and say, "We're not going to change the law back to what it was."

GEOFF THOMPSON: These days, Dominic James is more likely to be a jet passenger than a pilot.
He has not been diagnosed with PTSD, but the Norfolk ditching continues to have a punishing impact on his life and career.
An investigation into the ditching by the Australian Transport Safety Bureau largely blamed Dominic James, saying he failed to plan the flight correctly and didn't carry enough fuel.

Dominic says he was just following company practice.

DOMINIC JAMES: I think at Pel-Air we treated long-distance flying over water as not that much different to long-distance flying over land. But they're hugely different principles and you need access to a whole lot of information that we didn't have. And that the company needs to have a range of procedures that relate exactly to that and those things just weren't there.

GEOFF THOMPSON: Under mounting pressure, including a scathing Senate inquiry and an international review, the ATSB has reopened its investigation into the Norfolk ditching.

NICK XENOPHON: I have no doubt that Dominic James was a scapegoat, In hindsight, maybe he could have made other decisions on that night.

But he was made the scapegoat for regulators that failed to do their job, for regulators that were more concerned about covering their backsides than exposing the truth.

GEOFF THOMPSON: Astonishingly - five-and-a-half years after the crash - here on the ocean floor remain the flight's black box and voice recorder, beneath less than 50 metres of water.

NICK XENOPHON: It doesn't give me much confidence, er, that this is the same mob that is supposed to be recovering the remains of MH370.

Um, if they can't get a black box recorder from 49 metres of water, what hope is there to find it in some location in the Indian Ocean, probably 2,000 or 3,000 metres below the sea?

DOMINIC JAMES: I think closure's incredibly important for all of us. We want to get on with our lives and, and start rebuilding and trying to get back some of what we had before. But while ever this whole circus is going on, it's just keeping us in this moment of uncertainty and frustration and, and, um, it's just- it's very, very tough on all of us. And it takes its toll. It's not... it's not without consequence upon us.
(footage of Karen at medical clinic)...

...ANDREA HENNING: I've asked her: "Do you sometimes wish you'd just died?" She says, "Y-yes," she says. But she said, "The only reason I- I, I changed my mind is because," she said, "I wouldn't s- have seen the kids again." So for her, while she, she often I think wishes that she hadn't survived because of the constant pain she's in, um, I think that, um, it's o- it was the kids. She said, "It was the kids." It's always the kids, I think, at the end of the day, that stops her from taking the final step. Or we get to her first. (laughs)

GEOFF THOMPSON (to Jemma Patten): Do you think your mum, the mum you knew, will ever be back?

JEMMA PATTEN: Mm-mm. No. No- no way. No way.

RITA DE BROUWER: Jemma said to me once - it broke my heart too - she says, "You know, Nanna, my Mum's like a ghost. She's just not there." That's the best explanation: it's like a ghost. She's not there.

GEOFF THOMPSON (to Amy Patten): Do you think you'll get her back?

AMY PATTEN: I hope so. Yeah. I hope I do, I mean I- I really, really miss her a lot. Yep.

GEOFF THOMPSON: Twelve days ago Karen headed to the airport to board a plane, this time not to save a life but to mourn the loss of one.

KAREN CASEY: We've both lived through the aftermath of, of everything.

GEOFF THOMPSON: Bernie Currall, the patient she saved in the water, had died suddenly.

KAREN CASEY: There were six survivors and... and now there's five and, um, there will not be four.
GEOFF THOMPSON: Karen is flying to Bernie's funeral in Melbourne.

KAREN CASEY: I had to pay respect. I had to say goodbye. The reason... (fights tears) the Bernie was so important to me is because she, she taught me and helped me to fight.

NICK XENOPHON: The salutary lesson of Karen Casey is that, even if you do the right thing - in fact, are a hero on the night - the system treats you appallingly. She's been treated like dirt and she deserves better...

...KERRY O'BRIEN: So there's the letter of the law and there's conscience. Somewhere between the two is Karen Casey.
Judgement in her case for compensation will be delivered sometime this year.
Pel-Air declined to be interviewed or answer written questions, telling Four Corners that it is "legally bound not to discuss any aspect of the incident pending the final resolution of the court case."
However, Pel-Air has made detailed changes to its flight practices, particularly with regard to fuel policy and in-flight weather updates, following the accident.

After the ball is over.

When the music stops, the candles are snuffed, the orchestra is packing up and last of the tired waiters are cleaning up the rubble; look into the garden and see who is sitting alone; there in the moonlight, waiting for a carriage which will never appear. It is only a small group:-

There stands a flight nurse; wracked with pain, tortured by a bleak future, unable to work and fully support her children. Hurt in body and mind, insult added to injury by an uncaring cynical system which could, if it tried, care less about the fate of her or her family. Innocent victim of preventable accident and a callous system.

There is a man who used to be able say he was a professional jet pilot, one who made a mistake and paid dearly for it, twice. Yet a cold blooded, self protecting administrative system not only denies him rehabilitation, but actively, overtly and clandestinely prevents not only penance but salvation and the right to earn an honest living in his chosen profession. Victim to a callous system.

There sits a Doctor, bright, caring and willing to undertake the adventure of aero-medical transport. Damaged in an accident, serving as an essential crew member, now facing a future with a limited working capacity. Innocent victim of preventable accident and a callous system.

To one side, sitting quietly a troubled man; one who has recently lost his wife after a long battle, exhausted by the cares and woes of legal and financial burdens, imposed by no fault of his own. Innocent victim of preventable accident and a callous system.

Everyone else involved is on their merry way home, well paid, replete with the good things of life to enjoy the peace and quiet of their homes, to recuperate their energy and look forward to doing all again, next week.

Our small group must wait for a carriage to their destinations while the ghost of Bernie Curral hovers anxiously in the shadows, praying the rain holds off long enough for them to realise, it’s a long, slow, cold walk home, after the ball is over and no one cares enough to offer a ride.

Is this the Australia we want to live in? what a sad, tragic, mean minded, trite little bureaucracy we have become. Aye; Abandon all hope, ye who enter here.

Selah.

- See more at: http://auntypru.com/after-the-ball-is-ov...sJFTy.dpuf

"After the ball is over."

and the coach pulls up, Lamps ablaze, snorting horses, steam rising from their flanks, footmen racing to usher the Bell into the plush interior...and POOF....Pumpkin coach turns into Pumpkin head, the veneer of fairy dust extinguished. Reality appears with a snarl, our heroin pleads with the warlock known as the wicked pumpkin head who wipes her off like horse sh.t splashed on his $1000 dollar suit.
Sad aint it, our heroin would probably be happy with what Pumpkin head earns in a year, yet he pisses on her like she's a mangy dog unworthy of his interest.

I am disgusted and ashamed to call myself an Australian.