Shame or fame for Chester?

ICAO notified differences & the 'snowball effect' - Blush  

Quote:Metaphorically, a snowball effect is a process that starts from an initial state of small significance and builds upon itself, becoming larger (graver, more serious), and also perhaps potentially dangerous or disastrous (a vicious circle, a "spiral of decline")...

For the benefit of the Minister & the PM, here is an extract from my latest post off the AMROBA thread:
(03-29-2016, 11:19 AM)Peetwo Wrote:  [Image: dc50c9cdcea67d167c60ca482f04cd61?width=650]

Latest AMROBA Newsletter - Volume 13 Issue 3 (March  16)
KC spells it out in clear, concise English..  Big Grin :

Quote:1. The Major Reason why Aviation is in such a Mess.

Ask any person participating in aviation today for a single reason why aviation is in such a mess. The answer is always the same – impractical regulations and standards that are unique to Australia. Aviation is global – there is no case for unique requirements.

NOTHING WILL CHANGE UNTIL CASA CHANGE THEIR DRAFTING INSTRUCTIONS TO OPC ON HOW REGULATIONS ARE TO BE DRAFTED.

WE ARE FURTHER AWAY FROM HARMONISATION TODAY THAN AT ANY TIME DURING REGULATORY REFORM THAT STARTED PRE 1990.

Until CASA change their instructions to OPC (Office of Parliamentary Counsel) who write the regulations, the same style will continue to be produced. OPC has stated that they can write performance based regulations but CASA’s instructions do not allow this to happen.

The failure of government public servants to promulgate minimum global harmonised regulations and standards for aviation services and activities is still continuing under the CASA Board.

Harmonisation has become a total delusion – general aviation only exists in a similar structure in North America, except we don’t have the rural population of rural America.

This 28 year process has cost government and industry millions of wasted dollars and has achieved the worst outcome possible in the history of civil aviation in Australia. Nobody can look at the latest regulations, standards and proposed regulations and standards and state they are clear and concise. Aviation regulatory reform outcomes over nearly 3 decades has seen a decline in the use of private aircraft plus a loss of commercial air services to rural Australia.

Save money – buy NZ regulatory system.

Why is government (CASA) continuing to waste money? The most cost effective method to overcome regulatory reform is to buy the New Zealand system with some minor changes to meet Australian demographics, as it has been done in PNG and many other countries in the Pacific Rim. It will save millions in the future.

It is what the majority of submissions to the ASRR report suggested. The ASRR highlighted the need to have harmonised requirements, especially in this region.

The ASRR recommendations are fast disappearing into the past without implementation like past inquiries and judicial recommendations.

If an aircraft operation or maintenance organisation wrote their documentation in the almost unfathomable manner as regulations, standards & advisory promulgated by CASA, then they would be classified as an unsafe operator or organisation and be shut down.

It is time the hard truth of what has been created be recognised and be declared another failure in regulatory reform.

Regulatory reform is supposed to bring benefits to the community.

Since reform started back in the late 1980s this industry has seen very little benefits from any reform. It is time for a new approach if aviation and rural communities are to see any benefits.

This line..

"..The answer is always the same – impractical regulations and standards that are unique to Australia. Aviation is global – there is no case for unique requirements. ."

'Standards' in a global aviation perspective are set by ICAO (SARPs) and accepted by ICAO signatory States, then legislated, applied & overseen by the State NAA (i.e. CASA).

Quote:Standards And Recommended Practices (SARPs) are technical specifications adopted by the Council of ICAO in accordance with Article 37 of the Convention on International Civil Aviation in order to achieve "the highest practicable degree of uniformity in regulations, standards, procedures and organization in relation to aircraft, personnel, airways and auxiliary services in all matters in which such uniformity will facilitate and improve air navigation".

Now the KC short & blunt statement for the major reason that aviation safety administration in this country is 'such a mess' got me thinking about Australia's notified differences to ICAO... Huh

So I decided to do some basic research to see just how 'unique' Australia is as a fellow signatory State to ICAO. The empirical evidence so far is simply staggering... Confused

To begin note my comment from this post - AMROBA on Harmonisation
Quote:P2 Comment - Here is a link for the latest list of Australian notified differences - https://www.airservicesaustralia.com/aip/current/sup/s15-h104.pdf. Note the AIP SUPP is now four pages of relevant links to individual Annex differences. The reasoning for the change to the SUPP, listed at Para 1.2, is absolute bollocks, this is just another cynical attempt to cover up the embarrassing number (over a 1000) of notified differences to ICAO SARPs

For ease of access I've created our own link - HERE - and for an example the following is a link for the ICAO 'Airworthiness Standards' notified differences - i.e. Annex 8

Okay so when collated, as of 10 Dec 2015, there is now a unbelievable 318 pages of 'notified differences'. My final count on the 'NDs' was at 3116, however because I lost count a number of times - Undecided - I calculated that there is an average of 9.6 'ND' entries per page, giving a conservative figure of a staggering 3005 'NDs' - absolutely UFB! Confused

The highest count of an individual annex or volume of an annex was in Annex 10 Volume 4 with 591 and the highest page count was from Annex 14 Volume 2 with 88 pages.

The lowest count for an individual annex is for Annex 12 with zero, which is extremely ironical and speaks volumes because it is one of only a couple of SARPs that does not involve CASA, ASA or the ATSB - well done AMSA Wink Big Grin .

So there you go, empirical proof that our aviation safety regulatory system is a complete and utter basket case when benchmarked against 'global standards' Dodgy

Wake up PM, Minister & the CASA board, it is not going to sort itself out - Sad

MTF...P2 Tongue

Simple fix P2. Start by getting rid of Aleck. It should have been done over 20 years ago before the Frankenstein was allowed to grow.

Cost benefit analysis.

Of Australia’s ICAO membership and SARP compliance.  A simple enough study: it costs a bloody fortune and benefits no one, except CASA.  So why do we persist with membership?

The pantomime reached a crescendo when McComic ruled; a match fit tiger team attempting to usurp the ICAO emperors.  The ‘differences’ being used as a statement to demonstrate how Australia had got it right and the SARP’s were wrong in 3000 places.  Which is why children McComic thought he should be running ICAO.  I would like to see an audit of the cost that little soiree extorted from the CASA budget.  Not only in terms of hard cash, but in loss of production.  That list of important things that should have been getting done, but wasn’t, while the top team were poncing about in Montreal, pressing the flesh and posturing, was given a very low priority.  So the cost to tax payer is a threefold rip off, the back end being that there will be even more cost involved in the loss of productivity while plans to rule the world are hatched and strategy developed.  Not to mention the cost of maintaining the charade of compliance. Shameless, deceitful, expensive and useless; seem like a fair adjectives to me.

But what remains?  What is the residual outcome and how does it benefit Australian aviation?  In short it’s a repeat of the above; more unnecessary cost for little or no benefit, except when it comes to an audit of Australia’s aviation governance.  3000 get out of jail cards?  Shirley, we can use those to wriggle around the awkward questions and prove that ICAO must abandon it’s philosophy and follow the CASA lead.  Arrogant, ignorant, megalomania replacing consensus seems like a fair description to me.

The hard cash cost to consumer could stand a little detailed examination.  It has cost a lot of money to develop the unique 300 pages of registered differences; a shed load.  It will cost that much again to monitor, maintain and support those differences for the next decades.  Much cost for little gain seems a fair description to me.

Qui Bono?  Not industry, not the public, no one except CASA benefits from the ludicrous stance of being ‘technically’ in compliance with ICAO.  The fact that the spirit and intent of the ICAO SARP’s is to provide best practice and enhance ‘safety’ (whatever that is) is rendered nugatory by CASA clutching academic, black letter law to maintain the façade of compliance seems not to trouble anyone.  It’s crazy: we write regulation and pass it into law knowing it’s not ICAO ‘compliant’, then notify ICAO of a ‘difference’, which makes us technically compliant.  Some would call that ‘legal’; I’d call it taking the Mickey Bliss.  A constant, pointless drain on resources seems like a fair description to me.

I wonder what the political fallout from a real cost benefit analysis would be if Joe Public ever got a look at the true dollars cost.   There would most certainly be an outcry if they ever got to see the real costs of the regulatory reform effort, the cost involved in continuing the current philosophy, particularly when the comparison is made to how little it would cost to adopt the NZ or FAA rule set.  Hells bells the FAA is even redrafting and having new ‘philosophy’ legislation passed through their Senate as we speak.

Advance Australia Fair? – yeah, right, straight through to the aviation knackers yard.

Has Chester got the prerequisites to put the brakes on?  If things don’t change and soon he will be able to drop aviation from his portfolio and CASA will only need to manage ‘foreign’ operators.  We shall watch, listen and wait.

Toot toot.

Here endeth the honeymoon.

Time is up Chester; it’s time to go to work now.  There’s a little job which needs to be done and it’s urgent.  TRANSPORT all flavours, is in a mess and we believe it’s on your to-do list, as ‘the’ minister.  

Aviation – such as it is, languishes in desperate need of attention, despite what the department ‘advisors’ may whisper to you over another round of tea and biscuits.  We are not talking about aircraft flying here, but the seriously big money from the public purse which gets burnt by the cart load, to keep the officers of the so called ‘safety watchdogs’ warm and cosy.

Air Services Australia (ASA) are heading for a multi billion spending spree; there are some big, dark clouds hanging over that event. Hints of all manner of scandal and rorts and the benefit to the public, who pay for all this is marginal, to say the least.  This before dealing with the dreadful standard of management of the agency; for instance the appointment of the new CEO before the audit is complete and all that entails should be keeping you awake at night.  If that doesn’t do it, think about the dreadful state air traffic control is in; have a talk to the troops at the coal face for the real picture, they will make you a cuppa, set you straight and may even be able to provide sane, cost effective solutions.

ATSB; are the crowd who not only investigate accidents but provide reports and recommendations to make sure preventable accidents do not reoccur: in theory.  Can’t speak for other forms of transport, but in the small world of aviation they are a standing international joke which causes embarrassment.  They have placed the government in an untenable position with regard to MH 370 which can only end in tears and further disrepute.  Once again the whisperers have filled ministerial ears with nonsense and platitudes; research Pel-Air and get an advance copy of the re workshopped second report.  This will give you an inkling of the how, where, why and who partially destroyed Australia’s reputation and is hell bent on finishing the task as the scabs are torn off the MH 370 debacle.

CASA; will make you earn your keep.  Three decades of time, money, effort, blood, sweat and tears have been spent attempting to reform this ridiculous department – to no avail.  Despite good, solid advice from many reputable sources, countless inquiries, commissions, and the millions spent in the attempt; nothing has changed, not for the better anyway.  The solution is simple enough; the Kiwi’s did it with great success for a fraction of Australia’s expenditure.  That nation is enjoying the benefits of someone with the balls to scrap the system and start over again.  They did it once; and, did it properly.  Yet an endless stream of Australia politicians have chosen to ignore the problem, which will not go away.  Money is not the answer.

There are some other small issues which need attention, such as infrastructure, airports and the like but why worry about them when photo opportunities at tea parties abound and twitter is such a useful, feel good election tool.

Why worry about boats, trains, trucks and aeroplanes when there are so many hands to be shook, backs to be patted, kiddies to be pawed and all the fun of the fair to be had.  I am sure the independent truck owner drivers, those not stuck in traffic snarls along with the unemployed Australian seamen, will join the train drivers and pilots of the country in saying welcome to the transport portfolio.  Now get off your arse, stop pissing about with happy snaps and fluffy spin on twitter and lets get things sorted out. NOW would be good.

The clock is ticking – Will you be Minister, minister or minuscule? That is the question. No doubt it will be answered soon enough.  Turn the big lamp on GD, lets see just what we are getting for our money, the last couple we bought were useless, this time we pay close attention.

Toot toot.

Some PAIN associates are quiet, law abiding, normal folks with family and 'other' interests.  Below, is an email response from one of those folk.  This is a transport issue.

Chester is 'the man' and we should be looking to him, as the receiver of monies for 'sorting' out all transport issues.  In an election quarter year; we should be seeing the very best from our elected, highly paid, publicly supported parliamentarians.   Well Darren, you got the dough; where is the crystal clear response making this stupidity go away.   We are waiting, with bated breath your considered response; perhaps have a word withe Glen Sterle (legend) - he may have some ideas.

Quote:I spend too much time thinking but here's what I have running around in my head tonight:

* Restrictive Trade Practices - is the Govt legally allowed to set a minimum price on one sector of the industry to the detriment of free trade?  Where do they get off ruining perfectly legal businesses, ruining lives and putting people in a situation where they are unable to afford to put food on the table, pay the bank and then potentially lose everything.  Dare I mention "Class Action" against the Govt if they proceed with this?

* We live in Australia, not Communist China.  If the Govt gets away with this, what is the next area for them to hit?  Do they already have a system like this implemented in the GA industry where they set minimum rates of pay and charges per km of flight?  I dare say it would be quite simple to lump this on the GA industry if it works on the ground.

* I am looking forward to seeing 35,000 trucks blockading Canberra if they don't fix this in the meeting tomorrow.

And here you will find all the submissions from all those who have made their opinion known to the Govt:

http://www.rsrt.gov.au/index.cfm/remuner...bmissions/

Funnily enough, I emailed Ray Hadley about this on 18 March, the day before Grace Collier wrote her article.  My brother owns (a transport company) which was designed and implemented to help truck drivers make the most of the back-load potential of their jobs.  

This RSRT pretty much wipes out his business as well as that of the drivers who are members of his system as the Govt is now dictating what the truck drivers HAVE to charge. It's all so very wrong.

Have you seen the Facebook blurb from Jerry Sarre-Brown (the chief instigator of this mess)?  Can forward if you are interested.

To the best of my understanding, this RSRT was designed to stop the likes of Coles & Woolies ripping off owner drivers and make those big businesses pay fair rates for transport. We all know that Coles & Woolies rip off everyone in their supply chain but I think somebody missed the mark and stuffed up the wording and it all went pear-shaped.

PS - And here's the link to what happened over the Easter weekend.  I am advised that those owner drivers who were game enough to show their faces either withdrew or got grilled.

http://www.rsrt.gov.au/default/assets/Fi...O20162.pdf

Normal, everyday folk mate; people who vote and know other people who vote.  So Darren - wotcha gunna do?  Talk to the MM - seek (let 'em install pink bats) advice - or just have a chat with a good mate then Tweet the rest of your day away?  Do tell, we are waiting for the brilliance to merit the salary and action to match the rhetoric.  

Side bet; anyone ? - Albo will be all over this and smack wee Darren's plump bottom with it.  

Chester Chester it's all starting to fester..

Why is Chester so quiet on this truck issue? Isn't this the man who likes to front the cameras every time there is a sniff of MH370 information, you know headlines like "Sperm whale deposits engine cowl on Chinese beach"?  Strange that he now becomes so camera shy? Perhaps he has Dougy the bottom dweller working on a robust complimentary article? Dougy may like the taste of sphincter so much that he has become the 'media whore' to all alphabet and infrastructure departments! Can't wait to read the his next nauseating instalment.

Perhaps while Darren Chester is at it, keeping in mind he is such a worthy Infrastructure Miniscule, he will also make changes to the way fuel pricing is manipulated? (sorry I mean sold transparently throughout the country). Surely he is brave enough to take on a few oil conglomerates, no?

Or is true that Chester is yet another political graduate from the 'Institute of Public Affairs', the liberal 'machine' that has always been noticeably silent about its corporate funding and the coincidental passion with which it generally argues causes that align with corporate interests? Another promulgator of capitalism and cronyism?

Surely Team Turnbull, the world class political organisation led by a Golden Sachs footstool, hasn't made a collosal duck up on the trucking issue? No no of course not, I mean Australian Governments have brought us Seasprites, Collins submarines, pink bats, the BER, a CAsA 28 year $300 million dollar ONGOING regulatory reform program, billions and billions of wasted Government funds (sorry, you and our Grandchildren's futures), and a national debt surpassing $400 billion and on it's way to $1 trillion, the shameful top 200 companies in Australia not having to pay over $200 billion in taxes, our wonderful clogged roads, failed hospitals etc etc etc etc etc etc etc.

But don't worry, Coles will be just fine, and so will Lindsay Fox. Funny thing that!

TICK TOCK

Willyleaks exclusive.

At great personal risk, the intrepid GD has managed to get a peep at the minister for transport personal diary:-

Quote:Dear diary.

What a lovely day I’ve had.  It was easy away from my office, the team were coping well with some minor, non essential transport issues but still managed to get my driver and new car to the front door, so I could wave and smile at the press gallery, such nice folk.  

Memo 1– speak to the parking people about all those derelict, burned out trucks parked on the lawn and in the drive way; bloody vandals.  I shall speak sternly to our parking attendants, never too early to show them who’s boss.

Anyway, my mission today was to visit the lovely boys and girls in the air traffic control tower at Melbourne’s big airport.  

Of course I couldn’t disturb them, but I did ask one if the thing on the runway was – in fact – an aeroplane.  So nice to see one in real life; the response I drew from the ‘ATCO’ (new word for the dictionary) was a nod and a terse “Yup”, he was a pale, pallid, tired looking thing, about 60 y.o with a definite twitch in his right eye.  I strolled back to my minder: “that man looks dreadful, I expect he’ll be retiring soon”, I said.  “Oh no Sir” said the minder, “that is Charlie he’s only 25 and a senior trainer, valuable asset indeed”.  Must be the night shift look I thought.

Quote:[Image: DC-Tulla-TWR.jpg]

Well my visit was short but sweet, I did get a photo opportunity which was great and as they were all so busy I didn’t get to speak to any of the troops about how things are; which was good as I would have been late for my hair dresser (big No No).  Anyway, I am assured by that nice fellah in the electric blue uniform that all is well and another $150 billion dollars will keep things ticking over nicely.  Great system, wonderful folks, terrific day.

Home for tea and cake by 4 pm.  What a productive day, it’s so great to be ‘the minister’.

MTF – Oh, you can bet on it.

Toot toot.

Relax – all’s well.

In a world of chaos it’s so good to know that some stick with the old ways and keep a journal, for posterity.  I can see my grand kids children drooling over passages from the ‘ministerial’ memoires.  Harry Potter, eat your heart out. 

Quote:Dear Diary.

I had to pinch myself today, just to make sure I really, truly was awake – I was.  Oh, what a lovely job this is.  I’m so pleased that I spent all those hours in front of Mums big mirror, practicing my ‘photo-op’ stance, I’ve got so many happy memories from just today, all the hours of sweat were worth it.  

Today I had a slap up breakfast with some fans before launching into a giddy, busy round of bridges, blondes, beer, blackspots and bridges, before more pictures of ‘me’ and some friends down by the Murray river.  The blonde was a highlight, there is something erotic about statues and I took many pictures from many different angles so I may study them tonight after lights out, just me and my torch.

I like the photo of me at a so called accident blackspot; the stance worked well although one of those big, nasty, dirty, truck things flew by and ruffled my hair do which took a minute to sort out, the photographer was so upset.  The trials and tribulations of my job, honestly, hairstylist and photographer both upset on the same day.  (Note to self) must work harder not to upset the people that really matter.

But, I think I’ve found an earner, a real one.  The pitiful salary I get does not cover much more than the essentials, so I need to find ways to make extra pocket money – Bridges, the buying, selling and trading of.  I found some mug today who paid me a case of beer (home brew) for the idea of a bridge – let alone a promise of one – so there are some really good bridges in Australia, I should be able to sell at least one of those.  Maybe I’ll start with that big one in Sydney, what’s it called?  Anyway that one, I know a fellah who’d be interested in that.

Ah well, it’s all been such a hoot and so pleasant.  The only bad bit was my daily (mandatory) call to the office, a whole three minutes wasted.  My crack team and departmental advisors are dealing with some minor irritations, but assure me that all is well.  Roads and rail in perfect running order, boats and planes ticking over in their usual  manner, as per usual and they have solved the congestion problem by keeping large numbers of trucks off the road.

I do hope Malcolm can keep his job, that means I can keep mine, another few years of this would be wonderful.  Well dear diary, I must close, got some really interesting tweets to knock out, before studying ‘the’ blonde; after all, if it was good enough for that Kennedy bloke.......

PS.  Someone mentioned I had the look of a Kennedy when I adopt ‘the stance’.  Memo – Check with hair stylist, see if we can’t enhance that image.

P2 could you manage some graffiti for this; it's worth a picture or two. Booze, blondes, bridges, black-spots and back slapping – any of that sort will do very nicely.  Cheers.

Toot toot.

Dear Darren.

This is an aircraft:-

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR_98pKxqzCPcj7NcSXeBH...3of_Z3iaaw]

This is a ship:-

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTJOif-UvCLGLw3alGWIQK...HjGwQvzkiZ]

This is a train:-

[Image: stock-photo-motion-blur-of-a-model-railr...308951.jpg]

This is a truck:-

[Image: toys-r-us-semi-truck-trailer-with-jeffer...uckers.jpg]

All of these toys are in your toy-box; you get to play with them on the big mat donated by those clever folk at Thales – Air Services.  To win the big prize you must keep them on the mat and not let them bang into each other and keep them all moving at the same time.  

[Image: air-services-australia-poster-edited.jpg]

If you can master this game, when you grow up, you can play with the real things.  It’s the same game, only instead of a chocolate frog as a prize, you will get paid, lots and lots of money to do it.  

Here’s your hat, flag and whistle; now, on your marks, get set, GO.

Blondes and boats and planes etc.

I’ve never come to terms with ‘Twitter’ – tried to; and I do follow P2 who has mastered the system, but somehow – dunno, just don’t get it.  During my forays into twitter land, I have noted the Chester tweets, which for amusement, I occasionally read.  There’s always a photograph and some inane, fluffy comment which has SFA to do with aviation.  For instance:-

The ‘tweet’ which dumps our favourite duo, Pete and Fiona to be replaced by a lighthouse.  The phallic nature of the picture and the mention of Fiona in the same breath has multiple Freudian connotations.  I can understand it, she is a good sort and I can relate; but the size and scope of the chosen symbol is surely bragging.  The stuff of fantasy and dreams.

Another intriguing thing (among the many) I note, apart from a lack of aviation context, is ‘the Darren hair-do’.  No matter whether the picture is taken atop his phallic fantasy lighthouse; or, down in a mine; or; just out in the car park; the ‘mane’ never, not ever, has a solitary hair out of it’s preordained place.  I want to know the secret; ducks sake I just walk out of the door and I look like a windswept haystack, unless I keep brushing and preening every thirty seconds.  As Chester clearly intends to never mention aviation, perhaps it would be a good use of resources if he told us of his grooming secrets, perhaps during a special guest interlude on MKR; that’ll WOW the punters.

Well; it’s bollocks ain’t it.  Quite -  Sad - really.

Edit - Cancel that; I just threw up.  Darren has published a picture showing off the back of his hair-do, while he takes a ‘picture’ of the PM and brags about his ‘selfie’ skills.  Ye gods, remind me again, just what do we pay this chump a fortune to do? 

Bucket GD?  - Where’s the ducking bucket? I have urgent need of it.  

(04-14-2016, 06:58 AM)kharon Wrote:  ..As Chester clearly intends to never mention aviation, perhaps it would be a good use of resources if he told us of his grooming secrets, perhaps during a special guest interlude on MKR; that’ll WOW the punters.

Well; it’s bollocks ain’t it.  Quite -  Sad - really.

Edit - Cancel that; I just threw up.  Darren has published a picture showing off the back of his hair-do, while he takes a ‘picture’ of the PM and brags about his ‘selfie’ skills.  Ye gods, remind me again, just what do we pay this chump a fortune to do? 

Excellent Q/ "K" and to pinch from your post off the O&O thread, with a couple of additions (including said photo mentioned above) - Big Grin :
(04-14-2016, 08:00 AM)Peetwo Wrote:  
(04-14-2016, 05:19 AM)kharon Wrote:  From Ben Sandilands blog  - Plane Talking, on Crikey:-

Nothing can excuse the Albury Virgin ATR safety fiasco, not even this latest piece of ATSB fluff.

Quote:[Image: damage-to-ATR-610x406.jpg]

Where  the T-tail on Virgin ATR was seriously broken, but kept flying

...Now we have a new minister, Darren Chester, and it is too early to determine whether he does what his department tells him to do, or even asks whether it tells him what he really should be told.

The ATSB initially buried the matter in its weekly review. But based on what the ATSB released in June and what a genuinely deeply concerned Virgin Australia said and briefed, respectively, at that time, this is what Plane Talking then posted:

The core elements of the ATSB report show that Virgin Australia’s engineering contractor and the airline failed to identify and understand serious damage done to this aircraft in the turbulence event.

The aircraft was then allowed to carry passengers for thirteen sectors in that state before an in-flight crisis five days later approaching Albury from Sydney where it was grounded [for months until repaired enough to be flown away for more repairs.]

These are scandalous disclosures.  No one in the general flying public in this country expects that a contract maintenance organisation could be so bad at its job that it failed to understand and identify the grave safety of flight issues apparent on the Virgin turbo-prop on 20 February.

It is after all, what the maintenance provider is paid by Virgin to do, rather than scratch their heads and release the aircraft back into service.

It’s Virgin’s inescapable legal obligation to ensure that all aircraft are safe before flying. It didn’t ensure the safety of these 13 flights. It’s CASA’s role to enforce and maintain a safe level of oversight on airline operations and ensure that those who carry out aircraft maintenance are competent and effective.

It’s the Minister’s responsibility, to make sure that rural and regional air services, including those that fly him and his colleagues to and from Canberra, are safe. It’s called Ministerial responsibility.

How on earth did this situation arise with this aircraft, and what steps have been taken to ensure that whoever screwed up so badly, within Virgin, and within the contractor, never get to imperil the safety of flight in this country in this manner again?

This may seem harsh. But flight safety standards are by necessity harsh. The harsh reality is that 13 passenger loads were exposed to a broken aircraft, and that is intolerable. Read the ATSB document linked to above very carefully, as it contains inferences and disclosures that are very disturbing...

The rest of the article – HERE – is worthy of consideration and discussion.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Mountains to Molehills – ATSB style.

When this ‘incident’ first came to light there were serious questions raised, to which ATSB has not deigned to investigate or answer.  The aftermath – 13 passenger flights – are not the aberration, but a resultant of the first in a series of events which remain firmly ignored, unmentioned and; not, as yet addressed.  

In short; the root cause of the initial ‘problem’ remains unresolved.  The ATR has a facility which allows the two normally interconnected flight control systems (yokes) to be disconnected and operate independently.  This in case a manual flight control channel is lost.  With a significant amount of opposite direction pressure from the other yoke, (e.g. one pulls up, ‘tuther pushes down) the two flight control systems may be separated.  This event occurred during a ‘routine’ descent to approach at Sydney, with no noted flight control problem.  The potential for stress and damage caused by opposing control inputs, from two viable systems should have engineering alarm bells ringing, demanding serious, in depth inspection.  It did not.  The controls were simply reconnected, a cursory inspection conducted and the aircraft returned to service; for the remaining 13 flights.

In other accident events ATSB have played the accompaniment to the CASA preconceived notion, Canley Vale and Pel-Air for example.  Where ATSB report supported a stern, rapid prosecution of pilots and operators, through to Coroners court, where required.  There are some very serious incidents still on the books at the moment related to turbo-prop powered aircraft – Moranbah and the Newcastle coal loader incident for example; there are some serious, outstanding heavy jet transport incidents, such as Perth and Mildura which are still patiently awaiting their ATSB final report.

If we are serious about ‘safety’ the minister, the government and travelling public need to get over the bi-partisan system of relying on ATSB and CASA to ‘sort it’ and start demanding changes to the way our ‘aviation watchdogs’ set about doing their expensive business.  But, enough said.   All been said before, and precious little changes.  But gods help the government in power when the unthinkable happens and a Royal Commission is demanded.

The time is now, to get our aviation safety house in order, before we run out of dumb luck.

Toot toot.

When 'Darren' is standing looking down into a smoking hole, filled with body parts, will he have a hair out place then? - Big money say not.

Thanks P7, my shout; soon.

[Image: DC1.jpg]

[Image: DC2.jpg]
To add to the informative but very damning post from P7, here is just a little bit more for immaculate Chester to contemplate while swanning around inspecting lighthouses and capturing photo opportunities with the PM.

Further quote from Ben's excellent PT article, minister please take note Confused :  
Quote:Apart from a fuzzier sense of what happened, diluted by time, and evidence the pilots were talking to each other but maybe not successfully, there is no sign of anything being done to ensure in hard, real measures, that nothing like this can happen again? The way things are drifting along, maybe nothing is going to be done at all?

The ATSB failed to produce a first or second anniversary interim report into these matters in accordance with ICAO protocols.

This is Australia, a first world economy, with a second world it-can’t-happen-here smugness about air safety and a ‘bugger you’ attitude to its obligations to the global air safety community.  This endangers us all.

And some additional comments to the PT piece:
Quote:2
[Image: f4e308ba233fb4a48dc742f0fbaac3cd?s=32&d=identicon&r=g] Bill Morton
Posted April 13, 2016 at 8:11 pm |
“nor its contracted maintenance provider knew of or had recognised the implications of that incident”

Contractors work to make a profit and then a bigger profit and bigger management bonuses.

Private profit and public risk – the logical result of market dynamics.

[Image: c73957db1e9cfcaadb4a4d6bc11c9dc9?s=32&d=identicon&r=g] Dan Dair
Posted April 13, 2016 at 11:22 pm |

Virgins brand-image suffers, but essentially, they have contracted-out the maintenance, so they’re not actually at fault. (though what the legal/insurance position would be for overall responsibility, I’m not so sure.?)

However, quite clearly the initial inspection was badly flawed & to some extent, all subsequent inspections by airframe engineers or flight crew is also culpable.

It would perhaps be nice to find out who actually did notice the damage and what it was that drew their attention.?

At least you could take away some kind of positive ‘moving-forward’ message from that information.?

It is depressing (to say the least) that the ATSB have failed to follow ICAO protocols,
and equally demoralising that so long after the event & with a whole aircraft, flight-crew & full-documentation to examine & interview, so very little seems to have been learned and that new knowledge then disseminated to those who might benefit from it.?

[Image: c73957db1e9cfcaadb4a4d6bc11c9dc9?s=32&d=identicon&r=g] Dan Dair
Posted April 13, 2016 at 11:28 pm |

Presumably, there is positive aspect to be taken from this incident……Involving the amount of safety-margin / over-engineering that goes into (at least this part of) an ATR.?

Not just that the tail didn’t fall-off, but that it continued to fly, more or less satisfactorily, thirteen more times & it STILL didn’t fall-off.!!!!
(I’m reasonably sure that particular ‘siver-lining’ won’t make it into the ATR sales brochure.!!)

[Image: ccd536409c0ed4e9e4050d2d431081c2?s=32&d=identicon&r=g] ghostwhowalksnz
Posted April 14, 2016 at 7:19 am |

It the ‘part’ was broken during a routine descent into Sydney, that doesnt tell me it was over engineered at all. Im thinking it was damaged during previous maintenance or a part used that that had dubious provenance.

Could some help identifying the exact part , as it seems a fairing has been removed to reveal the details, but the fairing wasnt the issue. I can see what looks like a fracture as well.

[Image: ccd536409c0ed4e9e4050d2d431081c2?s=32&d=identicon&r=g] ghostwhowalksnz
Posted April 14, 2016 at 8:25 am |

Heres a summary of the two linked incidents

http://www.aeroinside.com/item/3998/virgin-australia-at72-at-albury-on-feb-25th-2014-suspected-bird-strike

And from the Aunty Pru blog archive: http://auntypru.com/shame-shame-shame-on-you/
Quote:ATSB CP Bullocks – Spring cleaning whitewash.

[Image: keju1.jpg]
Never thought I’d say it but the ATSB is now officially one of the unblocked holes – organisational influences – in a very mouldy lump of Aussie Swiss Cheese.
Further to my post from the bump in the night thread – Of risks, red flags, ridiculous responses and a rooted system – PartII
Quote:Quote:It is now obvious that the mandarins & minions in charge are air-brushing over a significant crater in the mouldy – aviation safety – Swiss Cheese. Instead of mitigating safety risk they are perpetuating and adding to the risk…FFS – ICAO…FAA..NTSB..TSBC anyone??- SOS [Image: angel.gif]
It is worth reflecting on the causal chain for this bizarre phenomenon, where the so called air safety watchdog is complicit in helping cover-up multiple identified significant safety risk issues.

From the Oz Matthew Denholm article today:
Quote:Quote:It was released on request to The Australian, with the bureau saying it no longer classified such radar failures as “incidents” ­requiring inclusion in its incident reports database.

“In 2013, the ATSB changed its Australia-wide coding practice for classifying infrastructure reports,” a bureau spokesman said. “As a result, notifications of infrastructure failures are only included in the aviation safety occurrence data if the event ­affected the safety of an aircraft.”

This ATSB change in methodology in recording (or not recording) incidents on the bureau occurrence database also has much wider implications, as not only will those incident records be lost to Aussie industry stakeholders but also to the Worldwide aviation community.

It should also be noted that the ATSB whitewash of the ATCO reported TASWAM incidents – much like the PelAir cover-up – is not in anyway an isolated aberration.

Quote:Quote: - They ought to as the iceberg is well and truly exposed –  the myriad of QF issues since 2008, Lockhart, Pel Air, REX vs a coal loader, a bent VA ATR that simply defies belief that it never speared in, and the list goes on. The muppets at CAsA like to talk about ‘red flags’. Well there are so many red flags covering the feckin Australian landscape it looks like the crash scene from the Germanwings crash. ICAO and the FAA must be concerned, surely?
- See more at: http://auntypru.com/shame-shame-shame-on...w2NPo.dpuf

Newsflash - Chester was just on ABC Radio being interviewed by Kelly Fuller on the Tamworth aviation rally 2 days ago - verdict?? Murky has reined him in and he is back under the "mystique" spell - FFS!

Well miniscule while your being misled by your head Mandarin, take heed because you have now inherited the 60 minutes clock to impending doom -  Confused  

Quote:Of risks, red flags, ridiculous responses and a rooted system - PartII

..This is further proof that the system is absolutely rooted - possibly beyond redemption - & in dire need of some external examination. To quote "K"...

"..Aye, nothing to see, move along, the new whitewash will cover the blood stains and the cloak of mystique will vanish all trace of the aberrations and indecency inflicted on the public, who have a right to expect better..."

It is now obvious that the mandarins & minions in charge are air-brushing over a significant crater in the mouldy - aviation safety - Swiss Cheese. Instead of mitigating safety risk they are perpetuating and adding to the risk...FFS - ICAO...FAA..NTSB..TSBC anyone??- SOS [Image: angel.gif]     

From the interview this AM it is pretty damn obvious that Skidmore, Murky & Co have blinded (the filter) Chester with the bollocks that 'aviation safety is their No1. priority'. After reviewing some of the above, for them to even suggest that the administration & enforcement of the 26+year, $300+million RRP is justified in the interest of air safety is simply bollocks - wake up Barnaby you now ultimately own this -   Confused

..tick..tick..tick..tick..tick

[Image: untitled.png]

MTF...P2 Dodgy

AIOS & the ATSB - The top-cover experts Dodgy

Quote:Ventus45 - The industry has "acquired institutionalised ostrichitis syndrome" (AIOS).

[Image: crisis.gif]

So, stand by for regular repeats of AF-447 and QZ8501.

Clues:
confusion, befuddlement, bewilderment, puzzlement, perplexity, disconcertment, discomposure, daze, fog, muddle, etc ........

Going off the ABC New England Breakfast Radio program yesterday, where Kelly Fuller briefly interviewed the minister it is clear that Mr Chester is inflicted by AIOS, with the obvious symptom of MOAS ('mystique of aviation safety') there for all to hear. I did try but unfortunately I haven't been able to get a copy of the transcript and/or the recording. However the following is a quote from the miniscule from the ABC article linked HERE:
Quote:The Minister for Infrastructure and Transport Darren Chester says there was a review of regulations underway, and safety must remained a top priority.

"We've got a mutual interest with the aviators and with the flying public to maintain safety levels and make sure we can have an expectation in Australia that when you take off in a plane you arrive safely at your destination," Mr Chester said.

He said CASA had that responsibility, but he wanted to be made aware of any issues.

"If there's a heavy-handed approach and if its proving too difficult then I want to hear that feedback from the industry," he said.

Sadly that is the standard mantra trotted out when Murky Mandarin & the CASA Iron ring have infected the current Minister incumbent with AIOS - Dodgy .

Therefore the following basic timeline of recorded O&O on the ATSB ATR top-cover expose, may very well be a wasted effort - with this (NFI) miniscule - but it will nonetheless be on the record in the PAIN 'I told you so' cyber-archives for ever more... Rolleyes

First here is the latest addition to the O&O thread with a quote from Kharon:

(04-15-2016, 07:22 AM)kharon Wrote:  Safety loop or hangman’s noose?

...I lifted the entire Ventus 45 post from Ben’s blog as it steps us through to what should have provided definitive answers to at least the ‘engineering’ parts of this puzzle.  It is remarkable that a manufacturer investigation of an event of this magnitude has not been fully documented.  It is not from idle curiosity or vicarious thrill seeking that answers are sought.  There are, clearly demonstrable areas of real concern which need to addressed: for example:-

Flight crew training and response to an uncertainty situation; there are many areas which have not been even cursorily examined.  The PIC ‘interference’ with the FO actions begs questions; why not call ‘taking over’; or, why not monitor and advise; or, why was there such confusion that the elevator channels were split. Etc.  There’s many more related to crew actions and reporting to engineering.

Then we examine what were the engineers told against what was committed to the tech log. This may give some insight into the initial maintenance actions.

The subsequent flights and tech logs preceding to eventual ‘discovery’ at Albury need to be examined in detail and crew questioned in relation to the in-flight performance of the aircraft.

No one is on a witch hunt here; not looking for a scapegoat in the form of an engineer or pilot.  However, this incident, like several others raises several red flags over ‘system’.  Hiding facts and delaying reports, then producing a ‘thing’ like the latest ATSB rubbish simply assists to hide potential problem areas, which, if not addressed could, when luck runs out end in an avoidable, preventable accident.

ATSB can do better than this – we know they can; so why are they not performing design function.  Perhaps when the minister gets done with taking selfies and studying phallic symbols, he could ask that question; maybe even do something about the shameful, deceitful way an expensive investigative body does it’s job.  He could even consider doing something to resurrect the inutile and transform it back to at least being honest, if not effective.  

Yes GD, I know there’s an election in the wind; so much more important than bodies and aircraft parts blowing in the same breeze.  Aye well; tempus fugit and tempers fray; I hope the inevitable never happens on some another day...

Next is a post of mine on the subject made just over a year ago:

(04-13-2015, 04:36 PM)Peetwo Wrote:  [quote pid='383' dateline='1428801306']
Next moving onto to another bizarre & outstanding ATSB (supposedly pc'ed) investigation, that of the bent tail ATR VH-FVR: AO-2014-032  
This serious incident only came to our attention when VH-FVR was strangely grounded indefinitely after the Captain reported a possible bird-strike incident on approach to Albury. We then discovered that the identified structural damage to the ATR actually occurred 5 days earlier on CB to SY sector. And that is where the details of the ongoing investigation started to become strange... Confused   
Planetalking articles -
Virgin Australia’s leg breaker ATR now ATSB tail breaker plus...

[Image: blogmasthead.png?ver=1292892237] 

Was it a bird, or a stuff up? The Virgin ATR questions
Ben Sandilands | Apr 23, 2014 1:12PM |

Whatever it was that the ATR hit, it was definitely too damaged to continue to operate in the state in which it came to rest in Albury

[Image: Sounds-of-Music-cover-610x414.jpg]
Julie Andrews in Sound of Music, or the ATSB in Albury? PR photo 20th Century Fox

...Then - Virgin Australia flew 13 passenger flights in broken turbo-prop - which Ben began with this question...

"...Where on earth is CASA as well as Virgin Australia and the Minister for Aviation in relation to the shocking
update by the ATSB in the case of a damaged 68 passenger ATR72 turbo-prop that was allowed to fly 13 times in scheduled service after a turbulence event on a Sydney-Canberra flight in February?..."

And what has happened since & what have we learnt from this incident(s)? Well according to the publicly available records off the ATSB website....um..err..not much??

TBC/- Definitely MTF with this ATSB investigation (& others) P2.. Angry

Ps You will all be pleased to hear that VH-FVR's broken tail has been fixed and is reportedly back flying the line?? Sad
Okay and finally here is a post of mine off the UP from nearly two years ago.. Wink
Quote:[/url]Who is kidding who??

training wheels good catch and interesting article (& photo) from the [url=http://www.bordermail.com.au/story/2136758/bird-puts-plane-out-of-service/]Border Mail
...[Image: cool.gif]

Quote:VH-FTS - How are CASA and the ATSB hiding things? I didn't realise they were the ones obligated to tell the press every time there was an accident or incident? Once the report is finalised, yes, but not during the initial investigation. I'd say they are probably doing their job properly behind the scenes - just because you, the pruner, doesn't know about it doesn't mean it's being handled poorly.
FTS I'm sure that you're probably right in regards to the investigators on the coalface doing their job properly, however I beg to differ with the rest of your statement.

Both of the occurrences in this case were listed as 'accidents' and both are being investigated. History shows that anytime a serious incident/accident is notified to the ATSB they will invariably post a media release within a day, if not hours, of the occurrence.

It is interesting that the BM article was released on the 08/03/14, some 11 days after the 2nd incident/accident, yet the article states:

Quote:The incidents are being treated as separate.

A Virgin Australia spokesman, Nathan Scholz, said there was no evidence linking the two matters.

Mr Scholz said that on February 20, the Sydney-bound flight struck turbulence that led to a crew member being injured and Virgin notified the bureau.

He said five days later the pilot reported a bird strike mid-flight and found damage to the outside of the aircraft upon landing to Albury.

However if we refer to the ATSB weekly summary lists for the 28 Feb 14 (entry 168) & 7 Mar 14(entry 182) we get the following notifications for the apparently unrelated occurrences (formatted differently but you'll get the picture):

Quote:20/02/2014 *201400786*Accident Yes - AO-2014-032* near Sydney Aerodrome* NSW* ATR - GIE Avions de Transport Regional ATR72-212A*
Air Transport High Capacity*Passenger* C * CTA

During cruise, the aircraft encountered severe turbulence resulting in a cabin crew member receiving a serious injury. The investigation is continuing.

25/02/2014*201400985*Accident Yes - AO-2014-032* near Albury Aerodrome* NSW * ATR - GIE Avions de Transport Regional ATR72-212A*
Air Transport High Capacity*Passenger* D * CTR

During a post flight inspection, substantial damage to the aircraft's tail assembly was detected. The investigation is continuing.

From this information we can establish that; (a) both events were listed as accidents and; (b) for some strange reason (& unbeknown to the BM reporter & VA spokesman) the bureau has given these (unrelated) events the same investigation number.

{Comment: It is also passing strange that the bureau makes no mention of the PIC's notified bird strike incident}

OK clear as mud so far??[Image: icon_rolleyes.gif] Then we move further down the article to this bit right at the end...

"...The bureau spokesman in Canberra said a preliminary report would be prepared within 30 days..."

The 30 days passed on the 27th of March apparently without a prelim report being issued...[Image: confused.gif] However if you refer to investigation number AO-2014-032 you will see that it was last updated on the 25 March 2014. So technically speaking the bureau has come within it's promised deadline of 30 days. What is unclear is how the two occurrences were notified to the required parties (as per Annex 13 para 7.1) and whether there was a Preliminary report issued (to those parties) prior to the 30 days (as per para 7.4 of Annex 13).

Oh well I'm sure it is all above board..[Image: evil.gif] However if that is the case when is the bureau going to make the Prelim report available to the rest of the world??[Image: bah.gif]

It should be noted that it is now 2 years 1 month & 27 days since the original incident (classified as an accident). And it is 1 year 10 months and 6 days since the investigation page has been updated - UFB!

MTF...P2 Tongue

'the more they stay the same.

P2 - Thanks for the link back to the UP thread; it was a good one.  Not too many like that one these days, even read old W8’s rubbish Dodgy ….  Some of the better posters made good contributions, making the whole thing worth the time and effort.  I don’t miss the UP, especially these days when it’s my turn on UP watch, but I do miss the banter, feed back and wider knowledge base of some of the ‘real’ posters– aye well.  Anyway – I did manage to find some old posts of mine, I was trying to remember the forces and system management for splitting the control channels and other details; nice to find them and take a stroll down memory lane.  Cheers mate.

I have cribbed some bits of posts past; not for any other reason but to highlight a salient fact: the questions we were asking back then remain, to this day, unresolved at the official level.  No doubt VARA sorted their ‘internal’ problems long ago, that’s a given.  But that will, for obvious reasons remain firmly ‘in-house’ – as it should be.  But what of the ATSB?, what of the public and what of the lessons industry can glean?  

Whichever way you slice it up – ATSB have failed and continue to do so in almost every element of their remit.  To me, this latest non event is a disgraceful continuance of the lazy, inutile system of ‘aberration’.  One aberration i.e. Pel-Air has, I believe graciously, been tolerated.  The second Pel-Air report needs to be spot on if ATSB are to retain any credibility whatsoever; but I digress.  The trend in recent years shows a downward spiral toward ATSB reports being of no consequence and that children is borderline criminal (IMO).  Aye well; just a breeze over an ATSB tea cup - from the past:- FWIW -

Quote:So, for starters, is the split yoke story even true?? The very idea that two 'competent' pilots could manage to exert (accidentally?) enough 'diametrically opposite' force during the translation of a 'bumpy' situation, with enough 'grunt' to separate the yokes is, stand alone; (when you think about it): a terrifying thought. The notion that two of them even exercised any serious control force, let alone 114 lbs, in an 'opposite direction', while correcting a trimmed flight attitude deviation simply begs questions. Industry cannot wait for another two years just to see what the ATSB eventually makes of it all and I'd bet a beer VARA won't be waiting about. Were there two sets of hands on the controls?, if so, why?. Was the AP engaged?. Any ideas on Speed, ROD, configuration at the time? SOP's?

Solved a couple of puzzles: the force required to spit the yokes, through the pitch coupling system is 114 pounds (52 daN).

For those with a curious mind (or not type rated) the link- HERE – takes you to an ATR-F.C.O.M. which at least provides some clarification and information on the aircraft pitch control system. Pages 253, 257, 464, 465, 468, 490, 492, 493, and for Beer Baron, page 510 are of interest.
& & & & & & & & 

The turbulence about Canberra is, on rare occasions, as bad as anywhere in the known world. A known fact, operational wisdom handed down, from Father to son. Seconds may go by where the aircraft is simply not 'manoeuvrable'. A wise child will not, in the first instance overload the airframe. But rather offer short prayers to pagan gods that this all stops soon, stabilises the airframe attitude early and 'works with it' to go quietly through the lumps with light hands, tender words and an understanding of basic aerodynamics. Once reunited with terra firma, (and having recovered some cool); it is time to scream for the 'grown ups'. "Please sir, I've just given this airframe a hell of a beating, to the extent that the FA has broken a wing" (hint-hint). "Could you have a real butchers-hook at the old girl (not the FA ya pervert) and see that all is well".
^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^

Was the FA strapped down, long before the expectation of bumps?. Were the bumps forecast? Was the crew made aware that conditions that day were within the range of the real McCoy severe turbulence, Canberra style?, was a precautionary allowance made for just such an event (just in case)? You could reasonably expect the crew to have this sorted, so how come a busted leg?
# # # # # # # #  #

Now I wonder, is there a specific briefing in the VARA port operations manual sections which clearly warns pilots of the so very real dangers which, once or maybe twice in a career, can be found on approach to Canberra. Or is there just some mind numbing CASA pacifying 'buzz words'; slightly hysterical 'guest etiquette' briefings and other associated, stultifying twaddle. Are there specific notes on how to manage a Canberra approach, when it's 'cooking'?. Notes specifying caution during certain temperature/ wind range combinations, noting the inherent stability of the weather patterns which "may" just start the pot boiling. Not knocking the crew or standards here, but forewarned and forearmed is always better.

No doubt Beaker, font of all knowledge, will provide a lucid, tough but fair, factual report from his Mum's reading of the tea cup leaves - when the time is right... Rolleyes

Toot toot.

Traction + Action = Vote winning:-

No one could consider the TAAAF a bunch of tendentious bloggers, IOS or a raving anti establishment outfit; no one.  They continue to produce first class, expert based solutions to Australia’s manifold aviation industry problems.  Those problems are every bit as real as the advice and solutions are valid.

Cherry picked from the ASA thread – HERE – is a sample of what has been consistently ignored by government, minister, department and the ‘safety’ oversight bodies that tax payers (think voters) fund.  Cost effective (tick), red tape reduction (tick), progressive (tick), advantageous to government (tick), beneficial to industry (tick): there’s a lot more ticks but it’s not for me to overburden the limited thinking capacity of those who are, ultimately responsible for the current shambles.

Bravo TAAAF, nicely done and fingers crossed.  Best free advice the minister could get.  Thank you.

Quote:TAAAF  - “Airservices should be privatised along the lines of the Canadian air traffic provider, Nav Canada, which has operated successfully and safely for over 20 years.

“Nav Canada is a not-for-profit regulated monopoly owned by industry stakeholders who are represented on the governing board and surpluses are reinvested in the corporation or used to reduce prices.”

TAAAF estimates the privatisation of Airservices would generate about $1 billion. Of that, $500 million should be spent on a developing training, research and leadership programs.

Well worth doing - even if just to remove the trough diving and whiff of corruption. 

Quote:TAAAF - "With a federal election likely to be held on July 2, TAAAF is also calling for the federal government to appoint a Minister Assisting for Aviation, whose role would be to “oversee and coordinate a new aviation strategy for Australia”.

Brilliant, essential and we already have the right man, with right stuff, laying about idle, being wasted.  

Toot toot.

Heads up miniscule; a history lesson & more free advice(cc DPM Barnaby) - Confused

It would appear Byron Bailey has given up on chucking rocks on Beaker's MH370 chook-house shed (good thing to, that line of attack was getting tedious Dodgy ); now at least BB is on strong ground to use his many decades of experience & observations both domestically & internationally in aviation, to help support the GA industry fight-back against nearly 3 decades of bureaucratic suffocation under the guise of the 'Regulatory Reform Program'.

Courtesy the Oz today:
Quote:Australia should have adopted US aviation rules

Byron Bailey
The Australian
April 29, 2016 12:00AM

Thirty years ago nearly every country town was serviced by a regular commuter service — typically by 10-seat general aviation aircraft.

My first flying job after leaving the air force was piloting an 11-seat Nomad between Sydney (Mascot) and Maitland on a regular schedule. I also flew a regular scheduled service from Wollongong to Essendon in a Cessna C421 pressurised twin.

These flights were always full and the general aviation scene was booming.

Bankstown was also very busy with all the training and business aviation. I left Australia at the end of 1985 to fly for an overseas airline. I returned 20 years later to a shattered and depleted general aviation scene and Bankstown practically a ghost airport.

So what happened in the meantime?

The year 1988 happened, that’s what. The Aviation Act! The beginning of the modernisation of Australian aviation regulations by CASA, as ordered by the government, to align them with ICAO and other first world countries.

CASA should just have adopted rules from the US Federal Aviation Administration — which has a far better safety record than Australia — but they didn’t. Hubris of the CASA bureaucrats and their attendant legal department decided they were up to the task.

I now quote a senior industry official: “Ask any person participating in aviation today for a single reason why aviation is in such a mess. The answer is always the same: impractical regulations and standards that are unique to Australia.”

Hundreds of millions of dollars have been spent, resulting in industry confusion and bankruptcies because of massive, unsustainable compliance costs — and there is no end in sight.

Senior management of these semi-autonomous agencies (CASA/ASA/ATSB) have little or no commercial in-house expertise, as evidenced by the present head of CASA, Mark Skidmore — a former fighter pilot with apparently no civil flying experience.

An example of what CASA and ASA have forced on the industry is the mandated installation of ADSB five years ahead of the US, knowing that overseas aircraft manufacturers were not prepared for such required installations. This will saddle Australian owners and operators with massive costs to ensure compliance, being the first in the world, as guinea pigs.

Just when you thought things could not get any worse, then came the attempted revision of Part 61 “Pilot Certification” in September 2014.

We now have, at an alleged cost of $200 million, 3000 pages of what a senior US FAA official described as gobbledygook. In the US, pilot certification runs to 100 pages and the New Zealand rules come in at 89 pages.

New Zealand revamped all their aviation regulations after a royal commission and the result is widely used and admired by other countries. Australia, however, is saddled with a regulatory nightmare that is forcing the industry to collapse.

Industry heavyweights have decided enough is enough. Desperate times call for desperate action. Concerned aviation insiders that care about the future of general aviation have organised a public meeting in Tamworth on Friday, May 6, with the Deputy Prime Minister Barnaby Joyce, Transport Minister Darren Chester and that great Australian and aviation expert Dick Smith.

Both these ministerial portfolios were formerly held by Warren Truss, who appears not to have had any leverage over CASA/ATSB/ASA. Also attending for the defence is CASA chairman Jeff Boyd. The aim of the meeting is to prevent the collapse of the industry by requesting government intervention on a range of matters, the most pressing problem being the scrapping of the totally unworkable and ruinous Part 61.

A former chairman of the International Air Transport Association Safety Committee and retired Qantas group general manager of Safety gave the following advice, based on many years dealing with CASA.

“From my experience I can assure you the politicians will send the proposed material to CASA for ‘guidance’. CASA will then defer comment as long as they can, which will be after any coming election. CASA comment to the politicians will be ‘we are analysing the document and while we think it has some merit it is not a document drafted by experienced and proven regulation drafters such that exist within the professional ranks of CASA’.”

And Dazzles if you choose to ignore the ticking of the 60 minutes clock Creampuff, of UP fame, gives a free insight into how it will pan out for you and your Coalition buddies as long as PAIN & the angry Alphabets can draw breath & bang on a keyboard:

Quote:CP - More power to your arm, Ben.

Some paradigm issues that I suggest you take into consideration in your strategic thinking, so that any momentum you build and effort you are making are focussed where it may have some chance of having some effect.

The practical reality is that while ever the Coalition and Labour effectively take turns in government, they both win every election. Each 'side' merely takes its turn to feast on the treasure of the body politic.

These days, the job of the bureaucracy is to protect the relevant minister. Whether that happens to result in something that's in the public interest is a matter of mere coincidence. The bureaucracy is effectively now a support system for the political advisers for the ministers who come and go, no matter to what party they happen to belong. The political advisers decide whether the minister is happy or sad, and that determines whether the bureaucrats keep their jobs.

Both 'sides' effectively abdicated their responsibility for the aviation industry to the bureaucracy a couple of decades or so ago. This makes ministers and their advisers happy, because they can disclaim responsibility for aviation regulation on a bi-partisan and 'public interest' basis. That's why the bureaucracy proceeded to build (and continues to build) the enormous, complex mess that is the aviation regulatory system. My view is that it is now impossible for anyone to work out what the amalgamation of the Civil Aviation Act, 1988 regulations, 1998 regulations, Civil Aviation Orders, Manuals of Standards, Directions, Determinations and, most importantly, exemptions, actually means as a matter of practicality. It's now mainly a life support system for all the people who build and continue to build on the mess: The bigger the mess, the longer it will take them to clean it up (on six figure salaries, year after year).

Some of them seriously believe they are making a positive contribution to safety. Many of the people in AVMED would fall into this category.

This abdication is also the explanation for why nothing changes despite all of the matters identified by Senate Committees and inquiries and reviews and coronials etc. Witness all those Senate enquiries that don't result in the Senators walking into the Senate and voting to give effect to the strong opinions expressed during Committee hearings. It's just pantomime.

Short point for you: Don't bother wasting energy on the tweedle dumb and tweedle dumber. The only glimmer of hope for GA lies in the laps of independents like Nick X.

Therefore, I'd suggest it would be very worthwhile finding out whether Tony Windsor has any knowledge of the plight of GA, any sympathy for the plight of GA and any inclination to use his vote to support change to improve the lot of GA. If the answer to each of those questions is 'no', meeting with and talking to Chester, Joyce and Windsor is - in my opinion based on the observation of the similar circumstances have arisen with depressing regularity over the last couple of decades and more - a complete waste of your and everyone else's time and energy. Focus has to be on the people who are actually prepared to legislate for change. 

"There was movement at the station airport for the word had got around.."  

So Dazzle when you can take time out from your twitter-verse photo opportunity & selfie  tour (& stop listening to your CASA mole), you might like to get your immaculate head around what will be coming at you at the Tamworth corral a week from today - or not... Dodgy

[Image: Tamworth-GA-Day-800x354.png]

MTF...P2 Tongue

GA midnight approaches.

There are still a couple or three on the UP who’s opinions are worthy of consideration and respect.  Trading under the nom de plume ‘Lead Balloon’ we find one of those few.  Mostly I can agree with much of the good sense advice he offers – however; this call for ‘independents’ is a discussion worthy of a ‘several beers’ wrangle.  

In principal everything stated in the post above above has merit, except the practical reality of life is we are always, for the foreseeable future, going to be in the grip of the ‘major’ parties.

Quote:LB – “The practical reality is that while ever the Coalition and Labour effectively take turns in government, they both win every election. Each 'side' merely takes its turn to feast on the treasure of the body politic."

‘Tis true, has always been true and is likely to continue that way for some time yet.  So; the argument:

Quote:LB – ‘Short point for you: Don't bother wasting energy on the tweedle dumb and tweedle dumber. The only glimmer of hope for GA lies in the laps of independents like Nick X.”

:whilst technically accurate becomes redundant to purpose.  No matter who wins the next election, it will be one of the major party ministers who picks up the ‘transport’ folio.  That is a racing certainty.  That person will, in theory at least, have control of matters aeronautical; the minders and advisors will remain, for the main part, unchanged.  The advice from those people has changed little and the effect of ‘blood on your hands’ promotes and fosters ministerial terror; well, that and ignorance combined with mystical influence.  

Only the gods know who Labor will inflict on industry.  ‘Tuther crew have selected Chester as front of house. {Side bar}, although the lions share of the aviation section (and the credit for any reform) could well be stolen by Fiona Nash and the infrastructure ‘task force’ (should rumour become fact).  Which could be the best news ever; I digress.

So it begs the question – who, in reality, has the juice to make things change?  The answer is it will be someone from one of the two major players.  It most certainly will not be an independent.  The independents may do mighty works and be of great value but they will not be ‘the’ minister.  Not for a while yet, although I do hold out hope that NX may yet get the numbers needed to run the show.  Selah.

I say industry needs to maintain the call for the incumbent minister to make the desperately needed changes and that is where every particle of pressure, will power, people power and logic needs to be focussed – on that one small, well protected, highly screened, poorly advised, target.  

We have all seen the expertise, determination, logic, rational and solutions industry has provided various ministers fall by the wayside.  We have all seen industry fobbed off with vague promises, tiger teams, ‘committee’, working groups, consultations, conference and survey.  I say it’s up to industry to draw a line in the sand and drag whosoever it is with the power up to that line and make ‘em stand there until things change.  No more smoke, no more mirrors, no fluff, no more consulting, no more wasted time, effort or money.

We, the producers of the revenue that funds the current abomination have had enough. Change the Act, get us a sensible rule set and for the love of all things sane, get us a DAS who will make true reform of the regulator a reality.

Darren Chester is the load, Barnaby Joyce the lever, Windsor the fulcrum.  I forget just now who said it – something about moving the world with a long enough lever.  

Best crack on boys, the clock is ticking down the days to GA midnight. Get to it.

Toot toot.

Good old Google - Archimedes.

Chester blinded by CASA Iron Ring mystique - Dodgy

On Skidmore's 'just culture' bollocks:

(05-03-2016, 10:57 AM)Peetwo Wrote:  CASA & 'just culture' Dodgy  -

..Now back to what is IMO the central issue to Ben's article that is now causing debate & contention in the ensuing commentary. 

First the background. Ben Sandilands has witnessed for many decades the administration of the Oz aviation safety system being manipulated, obfuscated, abused, historically tarnished, neglected etc..etc; by a rampant, seemingly untouchable bureaucracy that governments of either colour totally abscond from proper oversight or governance.

So naturally, like much of industry (refer ASRR report), Ben's trust quotient & 'bollocks' alert will be rapidly pinging when it comes to the regulator making comments like..

"...We also have system based on just culture to ensure open reports such as are made to the ATSB and mistakes rectified..."  

Until proven otherwise "just culture" & CASA in the same sentence will be met with much scepticism from an industry (including some aviation journos) that have been bullied, belittled, badgered and embuggerised by the "Iron Ring" big "R" regulator and supporting department for the best part of three decades... Angry

Seaview...Lockhart...PelAir cover-up...Mildura Fog duck-up...VARA ATR bird strike abberration...the list & the bollocks continue - miniscule Chester please take note of what IMO is the most important part of Ben's article:

Quote:The new Minister Darren Chester is meeting the grass roots aviation industry in Tamworth this Friday, one hopes before the government goes into caretaker mode on the calling of a general election.

It is an important meeting. It is also important for the Minister to note that his predecessors were treated with arrogant contempt by his department in relation to aviation matters and public safety, and that taking visible control of his portfolio and remembering he is a representative of the people, not unaccountable bureaucrats or corporate entities, is a prerequisite for being held in respect.

VH-NJI in-flight fire damage

[Image: rid22-picture-5.jpg]
Source: Jason Grimmett

Gotta wonder where all those bits happened to land - Confused

&..
(05-04-2016, 06:12 AM)kharon Wrote:  An outbreak of Just Culture.

I don’t know why, although I shouldn’t be, but I’m always surprised when I see a ‘report’ on the TV about something I know a bit about which is waste of good resources and not quite right.  Four Corners I find I can believe and accept the points made, and so it was with Foreign Correspondent until last evening.  If other FC stories are reliant on such ‘expert’ commentary, then you have to wonder just how ‘real’ their other ‘tales’ are.  FWIW they lost me, for ever; not that it will keep ‘em awake nights.  Every time I happen to see a FC story from now on the ‘bollocks’ meter will register full scale.  How any intelligent producer for the national broadcaster could base story line, research and commentary to an important aviation disaster on the likes of GT has me beat.  It’s a shame, because the message gets lost; there are (or were) important, serious matters related to passenger safety which must be addressed lost in the shabby, pointless little exhibition broadcast last evening.  

Not only do we get Thomas, but Gibson to boot.  I had to laugh – just culture indeed.  CASA would not know ‘just culture’ if it jumped up and bit ‘em on the arse, but suddenly, overnight, miraculously ‘just culture’ is here, live and real.  Bollocks.  The only reason Cobham is not being prosecuted is that to prove their case CASA would be taking on a fairly hefty, well supported operation which could, and rightfully would vigorously defend their argument – and probably win.  So just culture is trotted out into the smoke and mirrors to score some cheap brownie points in an attempt to stem the internal haemorrhaging.  There are no depths to which the new DAS and his ducking ‘tiger team’ will not descend in order to convince the political halfwits, all is well.

I note this outbreak of ‘just culture’ has not been extended to any of the cases currently being prosecuted by CASA; take the CEO of Barrier Air for example.  Not only were CASA very happy to destroy his business on some of the most dodgy grounds I have ever read. But one man, with an axe to grind decided that was not enough.  Killen was harried from pillar to post and back again; business, health, self respect and money – all gone.  Still not enough, he’s back in court, defending himself against ‘criminal’ charges.  So much for ‘just’ culture. It is becoming a marked feature of the current regime; the smiling crocodile, sizing up it’s next juicy morsel, playing nice while the grown up’s are watching, all the while planning to snatch a child, by stealth the moment backs are turned and making sure someone else takes the blame.  CASA won’t challenge the Indonesians, even if the politicians would allow it.  Nope, cowardice wears a new cloak – ‘just’ culture.  Ayup - but Just when it suits them though.

Yours in vomit: 'K'.

Toot toot.

Following on from K's post (above) & the Foreign Correspondent story, 'the New Daily' online publication regurgitated the ABC online article - ‘These airlines should be banned in Australia’.

Some of the comments are extremely insightful, especially the last from Capable Cate who seems to have intimate knowledge in regards to the Lockhart River air disaster & usual lack of oversight by CASA... Confused
Quote:[Image: noavatar92.png]
OldPom5 hours ago

Aviation is no longer an area where a few wealthy and many business and political passengers can pay for and demand high standards of operation and safety. Even the 'better' airlines now have subsidiary cheaper airlines for the vast number of ordinary mortals who nowadays want to fly. But can only afford the cattle class amenities and shoddy maintenance . Be suspicious, be very suspicious, if the fares are low so are the standards. Third hand aircraft older than you are, tiny knee space, overbooking to ensure no empty seats, long delays at airports by using too few aircraft to operate on too tight schedules. Cancelled flights when it all gets too much and the proverbial hits the fan. Gone are the days of care. Does bribery and corruption only exist in Indonesia ? Now it is 'profit rules.'

[Image: noavatar92.png]
ArghONaut18 hours ago

Australia is open for business and for any dodgy airline or political party. Trust them, no regulation or integrity commission needed. 

[Image: noavatar92.png]
Glen Paton3 hours ago

Australia’s aviation watchdog is CASA BUT who is CASA's watchdog?

[Image: avatar92.jpg?1461912210]
CapableCate6 hours ago

Would have to agree with you ArghONaut. CASA has a dubious record too. Lockhart River disaster 11 years ago springs to mind, when the Metroliner concerned, along with the rest of fleet owned by that company, could have prevented the crash by simply spending less than $100 per unit on an aid for the solo pilots when flying in 'blind' situations. Along with the ridiculous air traffic control rules, that 'dictate air traffic control can no longer direct below 8,500 feet', and in small regional airfields, in the absence of 'fully fledged radio operator/s', pilots are left on their own.

"(Dick) Smith says that if ground staff at the small Lockhart River airport in Cape York, who were not air traffic controllers, had been required to have standard radio contact with approaching aircraft, 15 people might not have died when a Fairfield Metroliner crashed into a mountain while approaching the airfield in bad weather in May 2005.

The manager of the airport, Manfred Kranabetter, who was at Lockhart River when the crash occurred, says that had the pilot contacted ground staff as part of a standard routine they could have told the pilot that a mountain on his intended approach was obscured by cloud."

At the time, I also remember a number (8?) of Senior Pilots who had reported the company that owned that aircraft, to CASA for investigation, over a period of years prior to the crash. There were concerns about their priority of cost cutting over safety with regard to routes too, as in the case of Lockhart River, that mountain approach should never have been made, especially in those weather conditions, and with a solo pilot lacking the number of hours necessary to handle flying on instruments only, without any air traffic control support.

It would seem that CASA's standards haven't improved if happy with Indonesia's airlines maintenance & safety records.

Wake up Chester!!!??? Like your predecessors, you're being blind-sided by your own bureaucrats... Dodgy  

MTF...P2 Cool

Chester officially on IOS shit-list - Dodgy

In the aftermath of the Tamworth GA "N"-DAY the BRB convened an extraordinary meeting before festivities began. What brought this on was the despicable performance of the man that the Coalition political elite have put in charge of the aviation portfolio.

First a quote from my Dear Barnaby post (note the parts in bold):
Quote:..Dear Barnaby [Image: confused.gif]

While your dithering about fighting a rear guard action against Tony Windsor & the 'Stop Shenhua' (legends) action group, there are a couple of other issues happening in or close to your party's interest and your electorate's interest that will demand several policy directions, intentions, proclamations and/or ironclad promises.

First though on behalf of the many regional & rural citizens that live in and around the Liverpool plains can't you have a word to PM Malcolm and Premier Baird to finally really put this long festering matter to bed. The uncertainty to the local farmers & communities is akin to playing Russian roulette while holding the gun to their heads, not healthy and not a good look when your both the Nationals leader and the Agriculture Minister.

And it is not like you haven't had time to sort out a solution to this current impasse: 

Quote:Read Tim Duddy's 2011 SMH article Wink : http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/political-opinion/our-food-bowls-should-not-be-sacrificed-to-mining-20110817-1ixpe.html#ixzz45NJVEg20

...Next as NATS leader you would think you'd want to be front & centre of regional development [Image: huh.gif].  However I think I understand why it is that you have stepped away from the DoIRD. It can be a troublesome portfolio, especially because Transport (at long last with a capital "T") resides within and can be a minefield in the lead in to election campaigns.. [Image: confused.gif]

I also pay you and Malcolm kudos for bringing back the word Transport into the Ministerial Department lexicon and establishing a second Minister to oversee that part of a very busy Department. However the cynics in my sector of the transport industry feel that Mr Chester is merely a photogenic filter to again give you some distance on the rising volume of discord within the now big "T" transport industry.

Unfortunately for you Barnaby the filter strategy has not worked, you can run but you can't hide and the "T" issues are starting to come home to roost... [Image: biggrin.gif]

From the PAIN email chain apparently BJ's office boffins picked up on this post of mine & forwarded to the DPM. Who somewhat surprisingly decided to reply addressing many of the issues contained in that post (see HERE), including the "photogenic filter" comment above:
Quote:I would disagree with your assertion that Minister Chester is "merely a photogenic filter" and have the highest regard for Ministers Nash and Chester as outstanding elected representatives of the highest abilities who have complete and total dedication to the people and portfolios they serve.

After yesterday's performance that BJ statement, with the exception of Senator Fiona Nash  who wasn't there (& after the PelAir Inquiry & many Senate Estimates, the IOS & PAIN have much affection and high regard for) -  it has to be said is complete and utter BOLLOCKS!

Therefore at the BRB last night a vote was taken and Dazzling Dazza has officially been IOS shit-listed and demoted to miniscule.  On top of that PAIN has been officially given the GREEN light to attack, lambast, belittle, discredit the miniscule at every available opportunity - happy days Gobbles & Ferryman Big Grin .

Dear Darren (the Twit) Chester Dodgy :

[Image: 00a2524c7a191de483c44c74a886df8c7ca21fa.gif]

MTF...P2 Tongue

Ps Expect the "K" Sundy ramble to be quite colourful - Wink

Of mice, men and minuscule’s.

Quote:P2 - "PS. Expect the "K" Sundy ramble to be quite colourful

Colourful will follow; I assure you, just whetting the knives now.  MTF?  You can bet on it. Sunday ramble first though.

Being a happily self confessed political ignoramus has certain advantages and had it not been for the dreadful performance of the aviation oversight bodies, such as ASA, ATSB and CASA I reckon the choice between chewing my leg off and attending any form of ‘political’ rally would have been a close run race.  However, due to circumstances ‘beyond my control’ as they say, in recent years I have been obliged to pay attention.  One of the great benefits of my political ignorance has been the need to develop my own way of sorting wheat from chaff; a yard stick if you will; against which I may measure progress for industry.  Actions and results have always been stalwart companions; whereas words and promises have never held much sway.  Another part of creating a satisfactory yardstick has been a need, for many years now to weigh up ‘the man’.  Strange creature the human being, certainly one of the most difficult, the political version particularly so.   Now animals also have particular character traits; you need to be able to work out what flavour a horse is before you use it, same-same dogs, it is a fact that if you cannot do this then danger and trouble may result; often both.  So, what did I have against which I could measure the political version?  I reckoned, stripped of rhetoric and the trappings of public life under the suit there was a basic man (yes, yes I know: or woman).

The flaw in my home made remedy was that my first encounters with the Political Animal (PA) were all positive.  Glen Sterle and Bill Heffernan for example; both full on PA and on opposite sides of the ‘political’ divide.  Both sound as a bell, then Xenophon, Nash, Fawcett; in fact with a few notable exceptions, nearly all who appeared in Estimates and Inquiry won my respect, a modicum of affection, a degree tolerance and forbearance for the political ideology they belonged to.  The less savoury side of politics was easily discerned; stood out like dogs balls, the Wong performance being an example of my yardstick at work.   Overall I reckoned if this Senate committee is government at work, then I am pleased to see my tax dollars at work.  I never really came to grips with the gutter dwellers, my mistake was writing off the Wong’uns as aberrations, a minority which could be dealt with by the ‘honourable’.  Not so, my education was about to be completed.

Tamworth is not a place I’d have ever figured as being the place to have ones political education finished; but it was.  Bear with me, I will try to explain and perhaps my meandering preamble will make sense: lesson one began with the arrival of the PA and entourage.  There were some of our front row milling about in the Aero-Club, Cannane, Forsyth, Lewis, Smith etc. a smaller group of the AOPA board; Reece, Ferrier etc. and the Chester cohort.  From my vantage point it was possible to observe nearly all as they arrived and mingled.  Strange are the ways of tribes. Our front row grabbed a BBQ sausage sandwich and dispersed, greeting people they knew and meeting those they did not, easy, relaxed and enjoying the easy camaraderie of aviators.  The AOPA crew disappeared to the back of the club, taking up a position between the bar and food and forming a close, closed cabal, occasionally acknowledging the odd individual but engaging only with others selected from the herd.  Then there was the miniscule, on approach to the club gate, the face was pale, tense and clearly not pleased that the ‘suit’ was to be sullied in this lowly place; then the gate was entered and the smile turned on; just like that.  Enter Darren – stage right – an audience, nay, his audience awaited. Snag sandwich, lights. Camera. action; game on.

I didn’t realise it at the time, but a life lesson in politics awaited me.  This is a ramble, so I may digress slightly; Ben Morgan did a sterling, first class job and IMO made only a few errors, non of which was of significance, I doubt very much he even realised he had made the first one which, happily, worked to some advantage; wait, I’m getting there.  The ‘closed door’ session was due at 1400 LMT; Joyce (DPM) was scheduled for 1400.  About 1345 those involved were in the room and settling down, when Chester stole the march.  Without BJ in attendance.  Now I’ve no idea of proper protocol, but, it seems to me that if the DPM was due any tick of the clock, then it would be polite to wait and pay the respect due to the title.  None of that for Chester; Ben (bless him) tried to put the brakes on, but our miniscule would have none of it “Barnaby can catch up” says he as he rode rough shod over Ben’s first class notion.  That was one lesson learnt; the second arrived in the form of one Barnaby Joyce DPM on the dot @ 1400.  I was embarrassed for the man, everyone (Chester) kept talking as BJ, ignored, clearly unhappy looked for a seat.  One of the company had the good manners to stand, shake his hand and indicate where BJ my plonk his DPM arse.  Dunno about politics, but I know bad manners when I see ‘em and I can tell when a man’s pissed off.  I wish GD had been there with a hidden video camera; the next BRB/IOS/PAIN indaba would have enjoyed it immensely; alas.  Anyway – when BJ did take control he had little enough to say and played the hand as best he could; I’ll paraphrase “ OK you wanted a meeting, you got it, now WTF am I doing here” he went on to explain he had NFI about aviation but was well used to dealing with outraged folk and noisy minority groups; clearly frustrated by the time it took and the problems it caused, none the less, he would listen and see what could be done – fair enough.  It would have ended right there, but one thing led to another and a discussion ensued between BJ and those attending; a petulant miniscule tried desperately hard to break up the flow of discussion and kept on bleating about the people (votes) waiting for him in the hanger; he couldn’t wait to get in front of an audience – potential voters although it was wrapped up in terms of not wanting to keep folk waiting.  And so boys and girls; that was the end of the mysterious closed door meeting.  I can only speak for the several PAIN associates sitting at the big table: WOFTAM will suffice.  Curtain, intermission music, new coffee for me.  

Scene two – The hanger.  

I reckon there was close to two hundred people attending; the ‘heavy mob’ seated facing the audience; Ben Martin acting as MC took the microphone and kicked it all off.  Some say he talked too much, for too long; others understood the need to make it abundantly clear and repeat the message long enough and often enough so even the dimmest politician (oh yes he was there) could understand it.  The real game started when Q&A began; there were some good questions and statement from the audience, several brought cheers and applause.  Boyd copped a few and for a while disappointed many by sounding more like a Casamite than an industry champion; at one stage he defended CASA so strongly I though ‘hello – he gone over to the dark side’.  I was a close run thing and left a bad taste in the mouths of many; this reflected in some almost hostile ‘please explains’.  He managed to dance and shuffle his way out of the flack – but it was noted; later in the game he did start to seem and sound like the man we expected, but many were disappointed.  

The highlights and lessons in politics will end this ramble.  Lessons first; the fury and disgust of the audience had a minimal effect on the politicians, Darren deftly dancing about the answers, generally being bloody useless, Barnaby was over it and said as much, sighting previous shit-fights and angry mobs he’d dealt with and between the political efforts, the stonewall (or iron ring) remained un-breached – until three things happened. Pay attention now:-

1) Ben Morgan uttered the only sentence of the day worth quoting “You as Minister can issue a directive, now and have the ADSB rollout delayed until 2021, why not as an act of good faith do that, now, here in front of the industry”.  

Duck me; the Chester face was a study, he had NFI if he was punched, bored or countersunk.  He’s quick, I give him that, the face went feral for a moment, rat in a trap, then the little light came on and the answer arrived; just before he answered a voice at the back said – Caretaker made – and so it was.  “Well, I’d love to” say’s our hero, “but you know we will shortly be in caretaker mode”.  I reckon if I’d have shouted BOLLOCKS right them, the crew would have strung him up; as it was, Ben effectively said the same thing in a much more round about fashion, but the message was delivered.  I think our Darren may have even gotten away with it, had it not been for lesson two.

2) About now a skeleton stood at the back of the feast stepped into a clear space and was spotted by dazzling, dancing Darren of the mane.  Windsor, yup, AW in the crowd, listening, watching and now visible.  

Sir Barnaby to the rescue of Damsel Darren – to late; lesson three, with impeccable timing arrived with a resounding Thump. 

3) A missive from Sir Nicholas Xenophon arrived just then; it was read out to an appreciative audience which, once it was read in full, provided the most cheering and applause heard the entire afternoon.

So children, enough for today, my second coffee is cold, time to visit the galley.  But the point of my ramble is simple enough.  I have watched, learned and listened to the ‘aviation’ Senators long enough now to be able to separate the sheep from the goats, men of good will and intentions stand out from the run of the mill political halfwit.  Their quality stands out from the mob, much as bloodlines in champion horses and dogs does; it’s easy to pick.  Chester looks, feels and presents as a one of those fast talking real estate creatures, smooth, shiftless, lazy and venal.  As I say, coupled with the Cash creature he’d do well as a judge in MKR or a competitor in dancing with the stars; but as the potential minister responsible for aviation; well, lets just hope Fiona Nash gets the nod to reform what’s left of our industry.  

A scoreless draw? Perhaps not, at least not if Tony Windsor or Nick Xenophon have aught to say.

I should finish with a huge well done and thank you to the good folk at the Tamworth Aero Club, they did us proud and a splendid job.  Thank you.

Toot toot

Doesn't sound hopeful at all "K", quite the opposite in fact.

If DC was in fact "ducked and covered" by BJ pretty well, and if DC really is "one of those fast talking real estate creatures, smooth, shiftless, lazy and venal", it effectively says that the Fe-Pb Torroid has converted both already. Nothing will change, now, or in the future, election, or no election.

"Caretaker mode” says it all.

PS.

Fighting such battles "in a hangar" on an airfield, "in seclusion" suits, (AND SUITED QUITE NICELY) the "political animals" (both elected and un-elected / appointed) "down to the ground". 

They can now say "they were there", and "listened" (with CASA inserted wax, and earmuffs), but they don't have to "respond", publicly, in any "meaningful" way. "

Why ?
Simples.
Because "PUBLIC" exposure (all THEY care about) was, is, and equals, NILL. 
For "them", it was a perfect outcome.  
In essence, "the industry" LOST the POLITICAL initiative.

HOW TO RECOVER THE POLITICAL INITIATIVE ?

Well, it might be an idea to take a pointer or two from the truckies.

The "truckies" created some public noise, and got a public hearing, by circling parliament.

How about organizing an aerial circling of parliament, specifically for the pleasure of the governor general himself, when he front to open the next parliament after the election ?

OP-Concept (pre-draft).
1.  The day before parliament opens, deploy every available GA bird to operationally suitable airfields (for type) withing minutes three zero (for type) of "the fluttering pylon" on "the big house".
2.  On the day, launch a "maximum effort raid" on the "target", timed for the "first wave" to be "inbound" as the GG gets in his car for the drive to the big house.
3.  Have a continuous stream of aircraft, track for the IP (yet to be determined - but somewhere "visually handy", slightly NW of Black Mountain), then track for "close abeam" Black Mountain, then "track direct the pylon", descending to "a frighteningly low height" (for PUBLIC - MEDIA EFFECT), and perform one "low orbit" of the pylon, then depart SW, to another suitable "visually handy" exit way point, and subsequently RTB.
4.   Dick could hover in his noisy monster in a suitable position close to the pylon to "orchestrate" the orbits, and act as "safety eyes", to keep things orderly.

Planning will be tricky, difficult, but do-able.  
After all, even the pommies got one bomb on the runway at Port Stanley.

The mission could even be called "Black Duck One" (in recognition of the "despicable"), and the likely need for "repeat" missions in the future.

[Image: 00a2524c7a191de483c44c74a886df8c7ca21fa.gif]